or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Personal Growth › The Secret for Personal Growth....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Secret for Personal Growth.... - Page 2

post #21 of 129
http://thesecret.tv/news_vividas.html

well to the first one my interpretation is - it is not. it is not god based but human based. basicaly saying believe in urself. i dont quite remember if the word god was mentioned in it or not. as far as i can recollect it wasnt. they did use hte term universe. 'trust in the universe'

no. 2 - no idea. its interesting i hadnt seen this before. it seems like the technology company is benefiting from htis. is the australian church involved in this somehow? no clue. i gave u the link from their site. i have no clue about this. if one had to classify this and someone plese step in if they disagree this is more new age style. which to me is more personal growth style than religious.

#3 - hmmm. am i religious. not sure exactly by what u mean by religious. do i belong to a religion? nope. do i follow any rituals. nope. i was raised a christian - the terrible kind and am still too scarred to go back to church. i do go to a church to attend their meditation service. i AM looking at the philosophies of other faiths and i have been reading tennets from buddhism, hinduism, confusciousism, laotse. i have also read authors like willliam dyer, louise hay, sonia choquette (i think), krishnamurti, castaneda....

i would say i am definitely spiritual. i am not atheist. probably kinda more pagan but not pagan either. perhaps more nature. for me i find i take a lot from many religions and cant stay in one. i do try and meditate, pray and keep a spiritual journal which to me is different than just a journal because it is about my life and my spirituality. i guess sometimes i need to write down my pain adn gratitude. i do have my own rituals that i do with my dd. it just happened.

i hope this helps. you know there is a borrowing thread somewhere here. u might wanna borrow if u dont wanna buy/view it. i believe it is kinda sorta on teh lines of what the bleep do we know but i have only heard this since i havent seen that movie. but i would defintely advice u to watch it. it might be a huge disappointment to you (in ways it was to me since it didnt tell me anything new that i already didnt know) or it might mean something to u. if u r posting or visiting personal growth or spirituality forums then yes see if it makes an impact on u. it did have an impact on me otherwise. v. inspiring.
post #22 of 129
Hey meemee, thanks so much! Your answers answered a lot of my questions. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a conservative Christian movie.

I think I might try it.
post #23 of 129
there's a copy on google videos:
http://video.google.ca/
just look for 'strangest secret'
post #24 of 129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
Hey meemee, thanks so much! Your answers answered a lot of my questions. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a conservative Christian movie.

I think I might try it.

Just to reiterate not anything remotely close to a conservative christian movie. But very, very spiritual.
post #25 of 129
I would be uncomfortable watching a conservative Christian movie, and I adore the Secret. (I think conservative Christian's would like it too!)
post #26 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
there's a copy on google videos:
http://video.google.ca/
just look for 'strangest secret'
wow moss u r so right. wow!!! it is all there in 30 minute segments. THANK YOU.

hey nicole lisa - you could watch it right there.

wonder how 'legal' this is and how long it will be available online.
post #27 of 129
Hey, thanks for the google link!

I'm finished part 1 and 2 and will probably view part 3 tomorrow morning. It's better than I thought it would be, and not entirely new except for the idea that it's not thoughts but feelings which attract. I think that's helpful for me.

I am athiest and I found it nicely science based and really appreciate the physicists. Interesting how we each see something different there.
post #28 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

wonder how 'legal' this is and how long it will be available online.
as far as i know, it's totally legal to download in canada...we pay copyright fees whenever we buy blank media. it's just not legal for us to upload.

ps, the quality of that copy of the video definitely isnt very good, but good enough to preview to see if you want to buy it.
post #29 of 129
Thread Starter 
fwiw...

I have been listening to the Abraham-Hicks tapes of "Ask and it is Given" and they are awesome.. in case people are looking for more interesting sources...
post #30 of 129
Thread Starter 
not sure if you guys hang out in TAO....

but if you don't... please click on my sig for some good SECRET manifestations... either as a helper or receiver in my opinion.

post #31 of 129
I love the Secret! Before I saw it, I was feeling very negative about many things. Only one month after seeing it, we've attracted a house to live in (before I had the belief that we wouldn't be able to afford being in a house in time for the cats to be able to enjoy the outdoors). My dh now has a new job in his field (very hard to come by where I live).
What we're working on next:
more happiness and joy!
a vehicle so we don't have to take long tiring bus rides to go everywhere
a loving, peaceful UBAC
post #32 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
fwiw...

I have been listening to the Abraham-Hicks tapes of "Ask and it is Given" and they are awesome.. in case people are looking for more interesting sources...
I love the abraham-hicks books. They really speak truth. I've had a big problem with thinking about my situation in terms of 'lack'. Not enough money, not good enough, not thin enough... I'm starting to change my inner voice when it comes to attraction. Now, I think in terms of what is good about my situation. I have enough money for what I need. My house is small, but it's so much easier to clean than a big house. I started thinking this way last spring. I needed money for my trip to vegas. I starting thinking about money coming to me and how I have enough money for what I need. I ended up winning $600 on my birthday. Now, instead of thinking 'I never win anything', I think 'sometimes I do win'.
post #33 of 129

Tracy's Secret!

I just finished watching this....wow. As a side note, anyone not able to afford it and unable to find it should look into torrents (PM me if you need a hand or have more questions about it). I was able to easily find it and download it within a day or two.

It MAKES SENSE! It's incredible, because I have been thinking about this for awhile. I have a tendancy to think ONLY negative thoughts, because it helps with disappointment. For example, if I think about a bill coming, and it doesn't happen, I have the privilege of feeling releif. If I think about a check coming, and it doesn't happen I feel immense disappointment. So I simply don't think about checks coming. I only think about the bills. It seems to hurt less when they come if I mentally prepare myself for it. All this time, I've probably been ATTRACTING the negative things, and not cushioning the blow, like I thought.

I mentioned to DH the other day that I noticed something odd. My three year old has been potty trained for quite awhile, and every once in awhile, I'll tuck her into bed, leave the room, and think to myself "Gee, DD hasn't pee'd the bed in awhile. That's good, but now that I've thought about that positive thing, just wait - she'll wake up in the night with a wet bed." And everytime I allow myself to think about that...every time WITHOUT FAIL, she wets the bed. Every.single.time.

When I mentioned the movie to DH, after reading this thread, he kind of scoffed at it and said it was a money making scheme. He kind of watched it over my shoulder a bit, but didn't really catch it all. At the end, in kind of a condescending tone and with a smirk on his face, he asked "So...what's the secret?" I told him. And he sat for a minute and said..."That's it?" So I pointed out an example. He's been ranting and raving all night because a friend let him down. A friend who has continually been letting him down lately. I said to him: "This morning, what did you say to me? You said "Man, I bet XXX isn't going to do what I asked him, again. I bet he's going to flake out." And sure enough, he did. A few days ago, it was the same thing. Every time, without fail, his friend has let him down. Because every day, without fail, he has EXPECTED his friend to let him down.

A few weeks ago, I posted about my dis-satisfaction with my job. Somebody coaxed me into admitting what I wanted to be doing, instead. I mentioned one of the things, freelance design. It's something I've been terrified of doing, and have convinced myself I cannot do anymore. I've convinced myself that it's not feasible, and I've convinced myself that there isn't work out there. Well, since I made the post, I've been thinking about it a lot. I've been thinking about ways to make an "on-the-side" business work. I've been thinking about ways to attract clients. Last week, it fell in my lap. An aquaintence at work hired me to do some freelance design for TRIPLE what I make at my regular job. I have also been thinking a lot about wanting to build a home. Our dream is to build a straw bale home, off the grid, completely sustainable and environmentally friendly. This same guy, I discovered in idle conversation, is a bit of an expert on straw bale homes and alternative power and wants to talk with me more about it, and give me some information on getting started. WEIRD!

Anyway, I've always been a skeptic about mysterious methods for success. But I figure with this, what the heck is the harm?? There is no harm. There is nothing to lose. I've been worried about this freelance design job. I'm afraid of failure. I'm afraid they won't like my work. But I have made a conscious decision to NOT be afraid. I'm going to picture them LOVING my work...I'm going to picture myself succeeding. And we'll see how it goes.

(PS: Thank you so much, Tracy, for "discovering" this for us.)
post #34 of 129
Thread Starter 
Nikki,
I'm so glad you watched The Secret. I have been following your other posts and everything in me just felt..."she needs a little change internally, that is all."

Years ago I went to a spiritual practitioner (No longer a minister but still a practitioner) and he said, remember if a boat is leaving San Francisco and headed for South East Asia.... all the boat has to do is make the smallest adjustment out of the harbor of San Francisco.. a very small adjustment perhaps just a couple degrees to the left and instead of South East Asia the ship will arrive in Tahiti. Huge difference between Tahiti and Vietnam. But just a small degrees when you are starting out in San Francisco.

With that in mind.. it is the work you are doing in the above post.. a simple change in attitude that will support you landing in your dreams.

that is what we're talking about, really.

by the way, go down to the Spirituality Forum and find the links to the latest Larry King Transcripts. he had more of the people from The Secret and it was an awesome panal and interview. It would be great for your DH to either see it or read the transcript.

post #35 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
As a side note, anyone not able to afford it and unable to find it should look into torrents (PM me if you need a hand or have more questions about it). I was able to easily find it and download it within a day or two.
:
post #36 of 129

Thank you

Permission to be happy!

WOW. I just watched the movie. I have read and believed the law of attraction for years, but this movie format is perfect. I've always been thought of as a weirdo and new age flake for talking about this stuff... I've been manifesting since I was quite young. But it's amazing how easily it slips the mind and doubt creeps back in!

I am just so happy it's not even funny! Well, it's really quite funny actually.

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I can't wait to be old enough to be allowed in Spirituality!! Heck, there should be a whole forum for THE SECRET.
post #37 of 129
Quote:
Heck, there should be a whole forum for THE SECRET.
Haha, I agree!! Since I watched it (only a few days ago!) I have noticed several instances where this has worked. One being a situation at work that I could have potentially lost my job over. I've been making mistakes at work lately that are just snowballing, and make absolutely no sense because they are STUPID mistakes. It's as though my brain has shut down. And I kept telling myself that I was stupid, that I was a screw up, and my job has quickly gone from something I look forward to each day, to something I dread.

Anyway, the latest screw up involved basically being deceived into renting a much more expensive room for a conference. We're talking triple the price of the original room we booked. The woman at the facility asked if she could put our group into a smaller room, as a favor to them because they needed the larger room for something else. I said yes, thinking the price would either go down, or stay the same. She didn't tell me it would TRIPLE. And I didn't know until I got the invoice last week. I was sitting there, dreading telling my boss, because it'd be the straw that broke the camel's back. It's a big deal, because with the new price, we actually lose money on the event. Anyway, long story short, I emailed the woman very tactfully and explained how I felt. I sat there the entire weekend, and anytime I would feel this anxiety washing over me I would realize why. So I meditated. I sent out positive vibes, asking her to lower the price for us. I pictured getting a phone call from her, apologizing and telling me that she was lowering the price. She didn't have to. I signed a contract agreeing to the room change. But this morning when I came in, there was an email from her. She's lowering the price. You have no idea how releived I felt! Holy cow!

It may seem like a small thing. But it's so huge to me. Because the thought of having to disappoint my boss yet again, was enough to have me considering not coming in this week. Faking an illness or something.

Anyway, I'm now sending out positive thoughts about DH's check that is nearly 2 months late. Instead of thinking about the overdue bills we have due to this late check, I'm only thinking about that check sitting in the mailbox. Ahhh, we need this.
post #38 of 129
This is amazing... I just ordered the DVD and I hope that it helps me work wonders with my life. I've made a few positive changes but I really have a long way to go! A friend and I were talking about this earlier and she told me that when she was younger she used to will bad things to happen to people who upset her, and they did. But if she needed money or something else that was positive, she willed that to happen, and it did too! Everytime. She thought that I was going to think she was crazy, but it goes along with everything that I have read about the Secret. If you're will and belief are strong enough, anything -negative or positive- is possible.
post #39 of 129
The more I think about it, the more I think that the Law of Attraction really is responsible for everything. And I think personal application, and group application is what accounts for many of the world's problems. For instance, the placebo effect, religious debates, etc. I think if you want to believe something, you will get evidence of it. But I think the LoA works for us to learn that, and to go beyond beliefs, and into joy.

You know the funny scene where the guy keeps getting the same bills in the mail because he keeps thinking about them? Well, I think we all keep getting the same results, with the tiniest variations, because that is where our thoughts and feelings are focused, collectively. Including, scientific data that is limited to as far as the scientist's mind can grasp, which in turn is considered "proof", and the rest of us accept reality as limited and defined in these ways. This applies also to religions and politics, etc. But if we all opened our minds and hearts to so much more, to our ideals (the feeling of them, anyhow), then we could achieve so much more. Heaven on Earth, in fact.

I'm very tired and not feeling very articulate right now so I may come back to this...
post #40 of 129
there's a copy on google videos:
http://video.google.ca/
just look for 'strangest secret'


cant find it anyone, help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Personal Growth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Personal Growth › The Secret for Personal Growth....