or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › April 2007 › Any previous C-Section mamas around?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any previous C-Section mamas around?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Just wondering if we've got any (besides me : ) and if so, what you are planning. I'd love for this to be respectful of all choices, too.

I had a c-section for pre-eclampsia last time after 31 hours of induced labor. I've processed that whole experience and am comfortable with it.

This time, I'd love to VBAC. However, I am terrified of going post-dates. I'm a neonatologist in a level III NICU, so I see nothing but bad birth outcomes, day in and day out, which really colors my impressions of things, I'll admit. I went post-dates with my first, and between that, pre-e, and no fluid around the baby, the induction happened.

This time, I really see two options:

1. Natural VBAC before 41 weeks - I won't consent to any medical induction procedures with a VBAC, wouldn't consent to an epi, pit, etc. This is my preference.

2. Scheduled CS at 41 weeks, after recieving a course of betamethasone, if I don't go into labor sooner.

What are the rest of you planning?

I will deliver in the hospital I work at with the CNM practice, BTW.
post #2 of 13
I have had 2 c-sections. My first was a 33 hour induced labor that ended in a c-section. WIth my 2nd child I planned a vbac but at 42w I hadnt gone into labor and had a repeat c/s. I dont need to second guess that as its done now. This time I am planning a hba2c.
post #3 of 13
D/s was a c-section. Dd was an hbac born exactly one week past her edd. This one will be a uc hbac.
post #4 of 13
I had a C-sec. too. After 2.5 hours of pushing in every position imaginable, dd hadn't moved down at all (still at 0 station), so my OB ordered a C-sec. This time I am hoping for a VBAC. I am using a midwife instead of an OB, and I will also have a doula, and am starting to see a pregnancy-certified chiropractor to help me have a successful VBAC this time.
post #5 of 13
I had a c-section the first time and have no chance of a VBAC this time. I had a miscarriage in 2002 due to fibroids. I had 6 fibroids removed that year, one of which was as large as a grapefruit. There's simply too great a risk of uterine rupture. My OB, whom I adore, just gives me a pained look everytime I mention trying a VBAC. Last time I had a scheduled c-section at 38 weeks to lessen the risk of my going into labor. He says that having looked at my uterus he doesn't think it would survive labor without rupturing.
post #6 of 13
All three of my kids were c-section. 1st was so called FTP after 39 hrs of labor and dropping heart tones. 2nd was an elective repeat. 3rd was a failed v-bac attempt after 36 hrs of labor.

This time I am hoping for a vba3c and even better a hba3c. I spent all day emailing and calling homebirth midwives to see if anyone would take me. If I pay out of pocket I just may be able to get someone to take me on.
post #7 of 13
DD1 was a c-sec for malpositioning (she was posterior). However I do know now the c-sec was not necessary since DS was also posterior but my HBAC midwife turned him and voila out he came (OB with DD didn't even try to turn her). This time I don't know what is going to happen and frankly I am pretty freaked out about the whole thing. I am living in Japan where they really don't like overweight women, they stress if the babe looks like it will be over 7 lbs, women can't gain more than 10kg (almost 20lbs) during pg, and most don't do VBAC. I have tried finding a midwife but have had no luck finding one that will take a woman like me. I have contemplated returning to the states, but I would have to leave in early February and not return until the new baby is 6 weeks which could mean I am away from my family for 5 months and I can't afford to fly my children with me. It all is so mind boggling right now.
post #8 of 13
wow, treemom2...so sorry you have to deal with all of that... how stressful.
post #9 of 13
DS was born by c/s because I didn't progress beyond 4cm and he was in distress. I have a very narrow pelvis and DS was so stuck that my body came up off the table when the Dr. was trying to pull him out. (Yeah, he needed chiropractic work after that!)

This time I'll be in a different hospital with a different doctor. I will be having another c/s. I don't want to do it before my due date, though.

Tarahsolazy, can you tell me what betamethasone is?
post #10 of 13
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
Tarahsolazy, can you tell me what betamethasone is?
I believe that it is used to stimulate fetal lung development and to help prevent brain bleeding in the baby. But I am not a doctor, so I'd love to hear a more detailed explanation Tarah
post #11 of 13
i too had a c-section. ds is 14 mos. now and i am around 8 weeks. i will be attempting a vbac. my ob is agreeable, but i need to ask further questions of course. my understanding is that the introduction of any labor inducing medications just increase the risk of uterine rupture. one thing that makes me nervous is my body has never been in labor, so this will be like the first time for me - that means i will likely go over my due date and my labor will be longer like first labors typically can be. i just need to know that my ob (and his practice) are on board with this and don't decide mid-labor that i am not progressing. my appointment is thursday, though, so i will be able to ask these questions.

and, i am a little afraid of the pushing part.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Betamethasone is a steroid that has been shown to help develop the lungs of premies prior to birth, and decrease the risk of brain bleeding, like the pp says.

However, the NICU admission I hate the most is the near term (occasionally term) newborn born by c-section with wet lungs. Its a pain in the butt for the family, and makes breastfeeding more challenging than it should be. A recent study showed that giving a course (2 doses, 24 hours apart) before a scheduled c-section can decrease that risk. Its not a huge risk, anyway, but my superstition might lead me to want it. It is a medical intervention, so nobody : !

Things you can do to prevent this kind of NICU admission more naturally if you need a c-section are: go into labor and labor a while if you can, this really helps; schedule your section for your due date or later. Sometimes, like with the pp who had uterine surgery, or a classical uterine incision, its recommended to section earlier, and in these situations, you might want to discuss it with your provider.
post #13 of 13
Thank you so much for the info, Tarah!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › April 2007 › Any previous C-Section mamas around?