or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Meal Planning › Feed the freezer recipes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feed the freezer recipes - Page 35

post #681 of 699

Hi all! Loving this thread :)

 

When freezing enchiladas before cooking them, can I use flour tortillas or do they have to be corn?

post #682 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

Wow, this thread is still going, 4 years later!!

 

posting this for AM who is about to give birth again. I am hoping someone makes it for her and her very growing family! LOL

 

Making chicken cutlets tonight which then we turn into chicken parm...

 

Take chicken breasts, pound and slice into strips long or wide as possible. dip in egg, dip in flour, dip in breadcrumbs. Usually we have a tray for each thing. Brown in veggie oil to your preference. These are very yummy.

 

We add a bit of salt to the breadcrumbs (home made or bought at the bakery of old bread they make themselves.)

 

Serve as chicken cutlets or make into chicken parm.

 

For chicken parm:

 

grease a 11 x 9 pan. Pour tomato sauce on bottom (can be home made or jarred)

Line up the chicken cutlets and cover as much area as possible. Put sauce on top of cutlets. Grate parmision cheese as liberally as your family enjoys. Then top with mozella.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Yum

 

or put foil on the pan, cover and freeze. The longest mine has kept frozen is about 2 mos only because we love chicken parm. We serve it with speggetti and tossed salad. Plus bread bread bread!



How do the breadcrumbs stick?  Should this read :

1. Dip in flour

2. Dip in egg

3. Dip in breadcrumbs

 

????

 

Thanks Mama, can't wait to try this!!

post #683 of 699
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

Wow, this thread is still going, 4 years later!!

 

posting this for AM who is about to give birth again. I am hoping someone makes it for her and her very growing family! LOL

 

Making chicken cutlets tonight which then we turn into chicken parm...

 

Take chicken breasts, pound and slice into strips long or wide as possible. dip in egg, dip in flour, dip in breadcrumbs. Usually we have a tray for each thing. Brown in veggie oil to your preference. These are very yummy.

 

We add a bit of salt to the breadcrumbs (home made or bought at the bakery of old bread they make themselves.)

 

Serve as chicken cutlets or make into chicken parm.

 

For chicken parm:

 

grease a 11 x 9 pan. Pour tomato sauce on bottom (can be home made or jarred)

Line up the chicken cutlets and cover as much area as possible. Put sauce on top of cutlets. Grate parmision cheese as liberally as your family enjoys. Then top with mozella.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Yum

 

or put foil on the pan, cover and freeze. The longest mine has kept frozen is about 2 mos only because we love chicken parm. We serve it with speggetti and tossed salad. Plus bread bread bread!



How do the breadcrumbs stick?  Should this read :

1. Dip in flour

2. Dip in egg

3. Dip in breadcrumbs

 

????

 

Thanks Mama, can't wait to try this!!


Yes that is correct!!!


 

post #684 of 699

Oh my gosh!  I made it thru the whole thread!!!

 

I have recently decided that feeding my freezer again is the best option for feeding my kids and feeling like I can do something other than cook all day/night!  We have 6 people in the house, 5 of which have adult appetites.  Ouch on the food budget!  I'd like to not spend so much at the grocery store.

 

This time of the year it's more expensive for us since our garden is pooping out and our meats are running low.  In a couple of months I'll have more wild pig meat and bones than I know what to do with, lol. 

 

I spent the last couple of days reading this thread and cooking.  I fed my freezer lots of stuff for Tday (sweet potato casseroles, spinach artichoke casseroles, roll dough, chopped celery and onions, cornbread for dressing).  I also put 18 huge sweet potato black bean burritos, 16 turkey and spinach lasagna roll ups, 2 crustless cranberry pies, several bowls of black beans, and bread dough in the freezer. I'm waiting for a massive sweet potato sale so I can freeze tons of puree.  I am disappointed because the burritos will last maybe a week, and the lasagna rolls are only enough for one supper and lunch the next day for all of us.

 

I had to plug in a new (used, but only 4 yrs old and in perfect condition) upright freezer.  I plan to purchase about 6 or 8 turkeys soon, too.

 

Going to make green tomato enchiladas (sweet) to freeze also.  I have way too many green tomatoes!

post #685 of 699

going to read through this started filling our freezer again post move and out of ideas 

post #686 of 699


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Oh my gosh!  I made it thru the whole thread!!!

 

I have recently decided that feeding my freezer again is the best option for feeding my kids and feeling like I can do something other than cook all day/night!  We have 6 people in the house, 5 of which have adult appetites.  Ouch on the food budget!  I'd like to not spend so much at the grocery store.

 

This time of the year it's more expensive for us since our garden is pooping out and our meats are running low.  In a couple of months I'll have more wild pig meat and bones than I know what to do with, lol. 

 

I spent the last couple of days reading this thread and cooking.  I fed my freezer lots of stuff for Tday (sweet potato casseroles, spinach artichoke casseroles, roll dough, chopped celery and onions, cornbread for dressing).  I also put 18 huge sweet potato black bean burritos, 16 turkey and spinach lasagna roll ups, 2 crustless cranberry pies, several bowls of black beans, and bread dough in the freezer. I'm waiting for a massive sweet potato sale so I can freeze tons of puree.  I am disappointed because the burritos will last maybe a week, and the lasagna rolls are only enough for one supper and lunch the next day for all of us.

 

I had to plug in a new (used, but only 4 yrs old and in perfect condition) upright freezer.  I plan to purchase about 6 or 8 turkeys soon, too.

 

Going to make green tomato enchiladas (sweet) to freeze also.  I have way too many green tomatoes!

WELL! You are my hero!

But now I have tons of questions for you. Please?  =)!!! . First, since you are in Texas you have easy access to sweet potatoes ? Second. What is Roll Dough, and how do you make it. ... And then I just want the recipes for everything there and how you set it up for the freezer... lol. How do you freeze the sweet potato puree to make it easily accessible for use if you make a huge batch?

Oh, and Green Tomato Enchiladas? This will totally make me sound ignorant, but I never could come up with anything to do with green tomatoes.

 

Thanks!

 


 

post #687 of 699


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
I'm waiting for a massive sweet potato sale so I can freeze tons of puree.  ...


What do you do with all that sweet potato puree, other than casserole and burritos? I'm fascinated!

post #688 of 699

PIE!!!!!!!!

post #689 of 699

I'm looking for suggestions on freezing pizza dough or whole pizzas.  How do you do it - make the dough and freeze it in a ball?  Roll it out?  If you make the whole thing, how do you prepare it for the freezer?

post #690 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieNimIty View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Oh my gosh!  I made it thru the whole thread!!!

 

I have recently decided that feeding my freezer again is the best option for feeding my kids and feeling like I can do something other than cook all day/night!  We have 6 people in the house, 5 of which have adult appetites.  Ouch on the food budget!  I'd like to not spend so much at the grocery store.

 

This time of the year it's more expensive for us since our garden is pooping out and our meats are running low.  In a couple of months I'll have more wild pig meat and bones than I know what to do with, lol. 

 

I spent the last couple of days reading this thread and cooking.  I fed my freezer lots of stuff for Tday (sweet potato casseroles, spinach artichoke casseroles, roll dough, chopped celery and onions, cornbread for dressing).  I also put 18 huge sweet potato black bean burritos, 16 turkey and spinach lasagna roll ups, 2 crustless cranberry pies, several bowls of black beans, and bread dough in the freezer. I'm waiting for a massive sweet potato sale so I can freeze tons of puree.  I am disappointed because the burritos will last maybe a week, and the lasagna rolls are only enough for one supper and lunch the next day for all of us.

 

I had to plug in a new (used, but only 4 yrs old and in perfect condition) upright freezer.  I plan to purchase about 6 or 8 turkeys soon, too.

 

Going to make green tomato enchiladas (sweet) to freeze also.  I have way too many green tomatoes!

WELL! You are my hero!

But now I have tons of questions for you. Please?  =)!!! . First, since you are in Texas you have easy access to sweet potatoes ? Second. What is Roll Dough, and how do you make it. ... And then I just want the recipes for everything there and how you set it up for the freezer... lol. How do you freeze the sweet potato puree to make it easily accessible for use if you make a huge batch?

Oh, and Green Tomato Enchiladas? This will totally make me sound ignorant, but I never could come up with anything to do with green tomatoes.

 

Thanks!

 


 


Sorry, I just saw this.  I wait for a sale on sweet potatoes and then buy.  Last year they were .17/lb.  I cook, peel, mash, cool, and put in foodsaver bags in 4 cup portions.  Freeze flat.

 

Roll dough is just a recipe for dinner rolls (I use the "tasty bun" recipe on allrecipes and sub some oats and ww flour for some of the ap flour) .  I just make the dough, let rest, shape, and freeze on a cookie sheet til hard and pop in a bag.

 

For the sweet potato burritos, look on allrecipes and find the "addictive sweet potato burrito" recipe.  I sub black beans for kidneys.

 

For the turkey lasagna rollups, somewhere up thread someone posted how to make them.  I didnt' use a recipe.  I just browned some turkey w/some onion and garlic, salt and pepper then added some thawed, squeezed out frozen spinach.  Then I added some ricotta cheese, shredded mozz. cheese, and a bit more garlic, some oregano, and an egg.  Stirred it all up.  Cooked a batch of lasagne noodles and laid them out.  I then spooned some of the filling along the noodle and rolled up.  Freeze seam side down on a cookie sheet.  When frozen, pop in to a bag.  To serve, just pop the frozen rolls into a casserole pan, and spoon some marinara over the top and top w/more cheese.  Cover w/foil and bake til done.  You might actually just add the extra cheese after the rolls are heated thru and bubbly. 

 

The crustless cranberry pie, again on allrecipes.com .  Oh, and for the tomato enchiladas, look up apple enchiladas (allrecipes) and sub green tomatoes for the apple pie filling (you have to cook them a bit w/some tapioca or cornstarch to thicken, and sugar and cinnamon.).

 

I add green tomatoes into everything when I have them.  Soups, stews, casseroles, stir frys, muffins, etc.!

 

HTH!  If you have any more questions, just ask!

 

 

post #691 of 699


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
I'm waiting for a massive sweet potato sale so I can freeze tons of puree.  ...


What do you do with all that sweet potato puree, other than casserole and burritos? I'm fascinated!


Thicken soups, muffins, pie, pancakes, spaghetti sauce, lots of stuff!

post #692 of 699

Sorry, my multi quote isn't working right now.

 

For pizza dough, I make the whole pizza.  I just bake the crust for 15 minutes or so, let cool and top w/toppings and freeze.  You could also just make the dough and freeze it before it rises.  Thaw, let rise, and then use as normal.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snt88 View Post

I'm looking for suggestions on freezing pizza dough or whole pizzas.  How do you do it - make the dough and freeze it in a ball?  Roll it out?  If you make the whole thing, how do you prepare it for the freezer?

post #693 of 699

I shop every 2 weeks, when dh gets paid. Then, the following day I cook most of it (generally between 20-25 meals at a go).

 

I bake whole wheat bread, super healthy, with only yeast, whole wheat flour and water. I usually make * loaves' worth. I bake two right then, and freeze the other doughs for pizza and fresh bread later on.

 

I make a large batch of chocolate chip oatmeal peanut butter cookies (about 60 cookie batch), freeze half, bake the other half.

 

I cook lots of burger all at once, season it with a mixture of chili powder, brown sugar and salt (rather than store-bought taco or chili seasoning packets), and freeze it in half-pound bags. I use these for spaghetti sauce, chili, tacos, and in minestrone soup. It can also be mixed with brown rice for a very fast meal.

 

I presoak and precook pinto beans, northern beans, and white rice.

 

If we are having potato meals, I bake a bunch all at once in a turkey roaster, along with whatever cooked carrots, roast meat, and roast onions we will be needing.

 

I bake about 7 pounds of chicken breast at a go, then bag it for 4 meals with BBQ sauce in each baggie.

 

Our system revolves around the microwave. But it is currently broken! Ha ha ha ha....

 

:)

 

 

post #694 of 699
Hippie do the beans come out of the freezer ok ? I would love to precook beans at our house . Lately I've been useing can just because it's easy
post #695 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

Hippie do the beans come out of the freezer ok ? I would love to precook beans at our house . Lately I've been useing can just because it's easy

I precook all kinds of beans and I've never had a problem with texture or anything. Speaking of, I need to cook a couple batches. We just moved so my freezer stocks are LOW!
post #696 of 699
Does anyone know if whole wheat pasta freezes well? (as in whole wheat lasagna noodles) Also, corn tortillas for enchiladas? I would think they would fall apart.

My BIGGEST problem is that my husband "doesn't like" soups, curries, lasagna or lots of pasta...ARGH! The other night I slaved over a really good chicken piccata recipe and he ate half his plate and pushed it away saying he was full. The next night I browned up some easy cheeseburgers and he was saying, "Wow! What a TREAT! Cheeseburgers! Awesome!" eyesroll.gif I need to find freezer meals that he will actually EAT. orngtongue.gif

Our single most successful freezer recipe is raw chocolate chip cookie dough, already scooped into little individual balls. I use the recipe on the baking soda box. It's the best one I have ever found, and I have tried a LOT. Before DD was born I made EIGHT batches and froze them all. Didn't make it easy to lose the baby weight, but yum!
post #697 of 699

I've never frozen cooked pasta or tortillas (although I keep both in the freezer pre-cooking). For pasta dishes like lasagna, I'd think you could probably put together the lasagna without cooking the noodles first, freeze it, and then bake it, although it could be mushy. (Never done it, mostly b/c I'm too lazy to put together a lasagna!)

post #698 of 699

bump for new members

post #699 of 699
Thread Starter 

bump, I am currently feeding my freezer since there is room because our stockpile of meat is dimishing as the year goes on...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Meal Planning
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Meal Planning › Feed the freezer recipes