or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Synagis?

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
I know many on here do not vax at all, but I'm curious about the opinion on here of Synagis? (It's not really a vax - it's a shot given monthly during the winter months to help boost a preemie's immune system against RSV.)
post #2 of 56
I'm delaying/not vaxing but I am getting the rsv shot. Personally I feel the benefits of it outweigh the risks especially in preemies.
post #3 of 56
We are delaying vax but getting the Synagis shot. The benefits far outweigh the risks, I think.

But I am also biased in that I had a sibling almost die of what we think was RSV back before they identified RSV...
post #4 of 56
I too delayed vax, but got the Synagis his first winter (born at 29w4d in June). I'm glad I did. DS was exposed to another boy who had RSV (didn't know he had it until later in the week), and thankfully, DS never got sick.

And I'm not one to do flu shots and the like either. I just didn't want to take the risk of a lower respiratory infection with immature lungs.
post #5 of 56
We have been spacing out her Vax, and are getting the Synagist shots. I won't post my vax views here, but I am very supportive of vax. We Weill likely start these in oct or November, whenever the Ped feels it is time to start.
post #6 of 56
Another delay/spaced vax who did the synagis. I had two older kids in preschool when Greg was born, and they were constantly bringing home the *snottynose* of the week bug, so it just made us all breathe a lot easier to know that Greg was getting some extra coverage from RSV. He didn't get it at all (didn't even get sick at all) his first winter, but then in his second winter (actually, wasn't even winter, it was late October) before we were even though to start the synagis again, he got RSV and wound up in the hospital for almost two weeks. The peds at CHOP said that it was the earliest they'd seen RSV season start, and sure enough, while we were in there, at least 5 other kids came in with it.
post #7 of 56
We did it with one of the twins, only one was born with immature lungs although they were preemie. Although the one that did get the shot did catch rsv, he was only in the hospital 3 day and has never had problems due to rsv. His twin didn't get the shot, damaged his lungs due to rsv, spent 14 days in the hospital on the first trip and to this day requires oxygen support when he catches a cold. Overall we've spent 98 days in the hospital with complications due to rsv. I strongly believe the shot does work although it may not actually prevent rsv it does prevent the nasty complications that can happen. We now get the shot for both boys and do not do other vaxes while they are getting the rsv shot.
post #8 of 56
We are considering getting it. When I wrote my wishes when I had him we refused all vaxes and mentioned that if he was still in the hospital when synagis was offered we would like to talk to his neonatologist about it so we could see if it was right for him. Now since he is home, I am going to bring it up with his ped at his next appointment. Apparently in my area there have been a lot of RSV cases in the last few weeks.
post #9 of 56
We are doing the Synagis shots, for the many reasons previous posters mentioned.
post #10 of 56
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input. It sounds like it might be a good idea especially since we're flying for Christmas. Now I just need to see if we're approved for it.
post #11 of 56
We did Synagis and I'm glad we did. We won't be getting it this year b/c ds won't qualify.
post #12 of 56
We did it last year and will do it again, for the same reasons as previous posters.
post #13 of 56
I guess I am alone in saying that for a breastfed preemie, I do not recommend it. Although the two studies done, did show good results, I would like to see a study done on breastfed vs formula fed preemies. I do not believe the best way to boost anyone's immune system is by injecting genetically engineered antibodies or chemicals. If anything, as their breastfeeding mother -- I would want to get the shot so they could more *safely* get such antibodies from me rather than having the crap injected right into their little 3lb bodies...of course, that is not an option.
I have met several preemie mothers who swore that their little ones stopped thriving as well or had "minor" respiratory issues after each shot. Anecdotal for sure, but it doesn't sit well with me -- maybe it could lessen the rsv risk, but at the same time weaken the immune system overall. Not for us. JMO.
post #14 of 56
I'm pretty sure we'll be getting it for our ds when he gets out of the NICU, although I have no plans to vaccinate any time soon, if at all. Of the three babies I know who have ended up in the hospital with RSV, all were full term and exclusively breastfed when they got it. I agree with twins10705 that injecting engineered antibodies and chemicals to boost the immune system is not the best way and to that extent am a little leery of it, but without more research indicating possible dangers I think I'm just more afraid of how severe and damaging RSV could be.
post #15 of 56
My last three babies (32w, 29w, 28w) all had the Synagis - and all were breastfed. I have a friend who worked on the clinical trials and RSV can be fatal even in full-term babies. The benefits definitely outweighed the risks for us - I also arranged to go to the doctor's office either first a.m. appt or first after lunch so we wouldn't have to spend time in the waiting room.
post #16 of 56
Just be aware of the cost, too. It's about $1000-$1500 PER SHOT, and they'll need 6 of them over the course of the winter. We ended up owing OptionCare about $1500, and that's after insurance paid their bit. We also ended up owing the hospital a couple hundred to cover the home health nurse who came to the house to administer the shots. My son also had an allergic reaction to his 5th shot.

IMO (and it's just my opinion, nothing more), if push came to shove and we were in that situation again, I'd pass on the Synagis, and not just becase of the allergic reaction in my ds, as long as I was able to breastfeed. I have a strong anti-vax stance, but in this situation I fully believe it's something the parents need to research fully and go with what their gut tells them.
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
Just be aware of the cost, too. It's about $1000-$1500 PER SHOT, and they'll need 6 of them over the course of the winter.
Yes, you definitely need insurance or a doctor that "covers it" for you, as mine does for folks without insurance. In my area, all Synagis recipients go to the pediatric pulmonologist, and he does the shots all on one day so he can order a larger amount and split it amongst the recipients with insurance that fully covers it. That way, the uncovered ones still get covered anyway. My insurance fully covered it though. We *might* have paid a co-pay, but I can't remember... that would have been $20 every 4 weeks.
post #18 of 56
Hope you folks don't mind me being here, as my preemies are older now (5 and going on 10)!

But yes, we got the Synagis. After watching my 1 full term baby (yes, breastfed, tyvm!!) get RSV that turned to bronchiolitis, that turned to reactive airway (that she thankfully outgrew after a couple years), I begged the doctor to approve Synagis for my 36wker with immature lungs. My oldest was born before Synagis was available, and we just stayed in the house. A lot. Didn't really go anywhere til spring (he was born in Nov). Not fun.

If you're firmly decided on getting it, hound the doctor about getting it approved. It can take a lot of pressure for the insurance to cover it, because it's so blasted expensive. We know a family with twins-- one ended up hospitalized for several weeks for RSV complications and they STILL wouldn't approve Synagis for the other! Insanity.

As with any shot or medicine, yes, there are bound to be downsides. But unlike some other things that have recommended vaxxes, RSV is very common, and complications are not nearly as rare as some of the other diseases.
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulybabes View Post
But yes, we got the Synagis. After watching my 1 full term baby (yes, breastfed, tyvm!!) get RSV that turned to bronchiolitis, that turned to reactive airway (that she thankfully outgrew after a couple years), I begged the doctor to approve Synagis for my 36wker with immature lungs. My oldest was born before Synagis was available, and we just stayed in the house. A lot. Didn't really go anywhere til spring (he was born in Nov). Not fun.
Out of curiousity LOL

did you stay in the house with the second one? or did it work well enough you felt you could leave occasionally? Our NICU director was telling me that we pretty much should still stay isolated even with the Synagis shot. But, then again, my daughter's lungs are pretty bad.

(this is going to be a long winter...my daughter should be coming home Oct/Nov ish )
post #20 of 56
Sarah, I did not stay in the house with my preemie past his due date (the hospital said to stay in for 6 weeks after we came home, and that ended up being right before his due date), BUT... if I had a preemie with your daughter's health situation, I'd probably stay in for the winter, with maybe the exception of going to individual people's houses who aren't sick. It is a tough call, and you really have to assess the health of your own child before making that decision, kwim? My son was ok, but he also was breathing completely on his own the day after his birth, so while his lungs were immature and he was given surfectant, he didn't need breathing help during his 4 week NICU stay, except for about the first 18ish hours. That can make a huge difference. In my son's case, I took him out, but kept him in a sling with the fabric over his head so people couldn't come up and touch him without my permission (yes, people do this ALL the time at places like Walmart and such , and I didn't let people hold him at church for the first few months.

If I'd been in your position though, I'd have likely been alot more careful about going out. Yes, it will be a LOOOOOONG winter for you. I know I was about to claw my eyes out during the 6 weeks that I stayed in! Just make sure DH lets you go shopping and other stuff as much as possible, so you can get out and about. That's where the ability to take a bottle actually came in handy with DS (he was 100% at the breast when he came home, and was still able to take a bottle whenever necessary - I got lucky).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NICU & Preemie Parenting