or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › MDC going Google
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MDC going Google

post #1 of 188
Thread Starter 
Interesting...

I wonder if this is why there is a new MDC User Agreement. I wonder if we could get banned if we say anything against Google. I wonder why MDC needs more money for this forum, despite the fact that it has ad sponsorship and if traffic is allegedly the problem, why aren't the ad rates raised? I mean, it's normal to pay more for an ad that will be seen more, right?



Your thoughts?
post #2 of 188
I'm lost. What did I miss?
post #3 of 188
MDC is going to have ads sponsored by google. Apparently theer may be some stuff that doesn't quite fit the feel of this place. we are to report inaapropriate ads. :
post #4 of 188
Its at the top of the main page.

Quote:
MDC Going Google

MDC has grown from a community of about 2000 members back in the year 2000 to one of over 60,000 registered members (with an active membership of more than 20,000) from all over the globe. We are pleased and proud to host and serve such a community and have many plans for the future to make improvements and increase information and resources.

In an attempt to supplement revenue to help meet our current operating expenses, as well as help provide for future growth and planned features, we need to monetize the boards further. With this as our goal we have decided to give Google Adsense a try. We will be placing a right column of Google text ads for which Google will pay us for the clicks our members and guests deliver to the ads. However, we do have a job ahead of us and are hoping you - our core community - will help us out.

Some Google ads may be inappropriate for our site. We realize that and know we must create filter lists to keep out and remove ads that we do not want to display on our pages. Here's where you can help. Should you see an ad you feel is inappropriate for MDC, please report it to us by sending the URL of the ad that appears in your browser window when you click on it to adreport@mothering.com We will review it based on our general ad policies and if it is inappropriate for us to host we will add it to our Google filter list to prevent it from displaying again.

Thank you all so much for your continuous contributions by way of participation and subscription. Rock on MDC!!
post #5 of 188
/agreed



i just paid for an account, i would have paid the extra couple of dollars to remove the adds had I known they were going to go google.




I have to remove so much spyware from the users pcs in my business from Google and Yahoo toolbars and enhancements its not even funny.
post #6 of 188
Personally, I'm not very happy about it.
I like the idea of paid subscriptions as well as fundraisers.
post #7 of 188
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
I'm lost. What did I miss?
Go to the main page. What do you think?
post #8 of 188
Guess that's why the new proposed UA included ISP based email addresses only to register... so google can track ad clicks.
post #9 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshua View Post
/agreed



i just paid for an account, i would have paid the extra couple of dollars to remove the adds had I known they were going to go google.




I have to remove so much spyware from the users pcs in my business from Google and Yahoo toolbars and enhancements its not even funny.
You paid for a subscription here?
post #10 of 188
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post
Guess that's why the new proposed UA included ISP based email addresses only to register... so google can track ad clicks.
With the mass exodus that could happen, they won't really need all that Google revenue, will they??


:
post #11 of 188
Oh thank you, sorry I didn't get here from the main page - I missed it.

I have a paid subscription here too and would have gladly paid a couple bucks more not to have Google ads in my face. I understand the need to make money but I'm not digging the Google ad thing at all.
post #12 of 188
heh heh.

well, i have a mac so i never get viruses. (virii??)

it doesn't really bother me. mothering is a business, right?
post #13 of 188
Ok, I feel dumb. How do you go about getting a paid subscription here? How much does it cost? What are the benefits of a paid subscription?
post #14 of 188
ew
post #15 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
Ok, I feel dumb. How do you go about getting a paid subscription here? How much does it cost? What are the benefits of a paid subscription?
There are a bunch of different options. I have one that allows me to have my cute little HK avatar and also a PM box that holds 500 messages. I don't remember where the link is to get to them - maybe through the user CP.
post #16 of 188
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
There are a bunch of different options. I have one that allows me to have my cute little HK avatar and also a PM box that holds 500 messages. I don't remember where the link is to get to them - maybe through the user CP.
Does it give you immunity from being banned?
post #17 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
Does it give you immunity from being banned?
I wish. It doesn't even get you higher on the GA list apparently.
post #18 of 188
I would love to know what it costs to run the board and how much money the google thing will bring in so we can try to brainstorm alternatives.

I mean if there are 20,000 active members according to the post and they charge something as little as $3 a year to be a member, that's $60,000. Seems like a big chunk of change to me. Is that feasible? Certainly most people could afford $3 a year.
post #19 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
I would love to know what it costs to run the board and how much money the google thing will bring in so we can try to brainstorm alternatives.

I mean if there are 20,000 active members according to the post and they charge something as little as $3 a year to be a member, that's $60,000. Seems like a big chunk of change to me. Is that feasible? Certainly most people could afford $3 a year.
:
post #20 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
I would love to know what it costs to run the board and how much money the google thing will bring in so we can try to brainstorm alternatives.

I mean if there are 20,000 active members according to the post and they charge something as little as $3 a year to be a member, that's $60,000. Seems like a big chunk of change to me. Is that feasible? Certainly most people could afford $3 a year.

If I stumbled across MDC and saw that in order to be a member I would need to pay $3.00, I wouldn't do it. I would've just kept searching for another forum. I like to post and get the feel of a forum before I know if I'm going to stay or not. Maybe if certain forums are off limits except with paid membership, kind of like you can't access TAO or TP before X amount of posts like it is now??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › MDC going Google