or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Simplify and Downsize...You can do it too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Simplify and Downsize...You can do it too! - Page 5

post #81 of 319
I spent a lot of time reading your blog the other night and have been looking over your pics heaps - so inspiring! I've majorly decluttered my kitchen, storage scotch chest and today we filled a large trailer with junk from the garage to go to the tip. Feels great!!! I went through my clothes last week. Phew!

I was looking at your basket of towels - are they regular type towels or made of just a thin cotton? They look great, but I've only seen terry towels here (I'm in New Zealand).

ETA: Oh, and I love the fact that you have been so positive about living in a small space. Even though we have no intention of downsizing - it has saved me feeling like I need to upsize and I now really appreciate our small house.
post #82 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
I spent a lot of time reading your blog the other night and have been looking over your pics heaps - so inspiring! I've majorly decluttered my kitchen, storage scotch chest and today we filled a large trailer with junk from the garage to go to the tip. Feels great!!! I went through my clothes last week. Phew!
WOW! What a great feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
I was looking at your basket of towels - are they regular type towels or made of just a thin cotton? They look great, but I've only seen terry towels here (I'm in New Zealand).
Are you talking about the cloth wipes on the back of my toilet? If so...they are mostly just 2-ply flannel/velour or flannel/terry. I've bought them from www.wallypop.net and www.emibeans.com ... of course, you can totally make them yourself if you sew, or just cut up old towel or t-shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
ETA: Oh, and I love the fact that you have been so positive about living in a small space. Even though we have no intention of downsizing - it has saved me feeling like I need to upsize and I now really appreciate our small house.
That's awesome...being content in the space you're in is so important, and realizing you don't "need" something that you thought you did is a great feeling too.
post #83 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
They ask! LOL. If they don't see it in our house, they ask where it is.
Oh my goodness...seriously? : What kind of stuff are you talking about? Big items that are really obvious when they aren't there? I was thinking little things...plus my in-laws live 6 hours out of town, so they never know what we have kept anyway. And my mom and dad just don't pay attention!
post #84 of 319
I've posted before, but I just have to say I love what you've done with your space and I read your blog this morning...so well written and thoughtful. You are a very talented writer and designer!

So, did you DH also like this plan or did he just go along with it? I would love to declutter and downsize, however, my DH is a total pack rat and collector of all things uncollectable.

I guess I can start with my own personal spaces and go from there...but any suggestions??

Thank you for the inspiration. I shared your links with a friend too so she can look at them for ideas!
post #85 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcoolmama View Post
So, did you DH also like this plan or did he just go along with it? I would love to declutter and downsize, however, my DH is a total pack rat and collector of all things uncollectable.

I guess I can start with my own personal spaces and go from there...but any suggestions??
Yes, Matt is totally into downsizing too. No convincing need My only advice would be to start with your own stuff and the family spaces, and hopefully he will see the dramatic difference. You can also help him organize his collection in a more thoughtful way...if you approach it in a way that will help HIM, it might be easier.
post #86 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post

Yes! I actually just heard Sarah Susanka speak this week. I blogged about it here. And there is a thread about it here.

I just read your blog about the Not So Big House author. Sounds like a great talk. I love that book. I also noticed she mentioned Paul Ray and the Cultural Creatives book. That's a great one, too!

Good for you for putting it into practice!
post #87 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause View Post
My 8yo, 10yo, and I live in 513 sq ft. I hear tell that some former tenants were a family of 5 (!). I don't know how crowded the family of 5 was, but my kids and I are pretty comfortable in the space we live in. Our biggest issue is storage since our house has no closets (doh!). I have learned to be very creative with storage and declutter ruthlessly.
Good point! Throughout most of the last century, it was common place for families with 4 kids or 6 kids or even more to live in a 3 bedroom home with a kitchen and a living room and one bathroom.

Our expectations for space have certainly changed in this country. Look at houses built from 1900 to 1970 or so. The scale is so different from today.
post #88 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
Yes, Matt is totally into downsizing too. No convincing need My only advice would be to start with your own stuff and the family spaces, and hopefully he will see the dramatic difference. You can also help him organize his collection in a more thoughtful way...if you approach it in a way that will help HIM, it might be easier.
Thanks! I will try that and hopefully we'll end up with something good! I am going to check into the other books you mentioned on your site. Thanks!
post #89 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcoolmama View Post
Good point! Throughout most of the last century, it was common place for families with 4 kids or 6 kids or even more to live in a 3 bedroom home with a kitchen and a living room and one bathroom.
Having gone to two bathrooms, I will *always* have at least a second toilet in some corner of the house.
post #90 of 319
very cute! i gotta say.. i have the same vegan cookbooks as you and the same magnetic spice holders!
post #91 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Having gone to two bathrooms, I will *always* have at least a second toilet in some corner of the house.
I think that was sort of her point, though. Although it's nice to have 2 bathrooms (and I agree with you that it is! ), it's not necessary. I have never lived in a place with 2 bathrooms and I haven't suffered yet, not even when I was living in an apartment with 5 other roommates in college. We just learned to stagger our shower times.

I find that many people "think" they "need" lots of stuff that they don't. It is hard for many people, including myself, to draw that line between things they really really like or things that seem indispensible and things that are strictly necessary. For years I couldn't imagine how one could survive the modern cooking world without a microwave, but now that we don't have one (takes up too much room on the counter) I can't even remember what the heck we used it for. That is just an easy example; giving up some things is trickier than others.
post #92 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause View Post
I think that was sort of her point, though. Although it's nice to have 2 bathrooms (and I agree with you that it is! ), it's not necessary. I have never lived in a place with 2 bathrooms and I haven't suffered yet, not even when I was living in an apartment with 5 other roommates in college. We just learned to stagger our shower times.

I find that many people "think" they "need" lots of stuff that they don't. It is hard for many people, including myself, to draw that line between things they really really like or things that seem indispensible and things that are strictly necessary. For years I couldn't imagine how one could survive the modern cooking world without a microwave, but now that we don't have one (takes up too much room on the counter) I can't even remember what the heck we used it for. That is just an easy example; giving up some things is trickier than others.
So true...hard to do at first...but once you get the hang of it you wonder why you didn't do it all along! I'm with you on the microwave! For us, it just made it more convenient to eat badly!!
post #93 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause View Post
I think that was sort of her point, though. Although it's nice to have 2 bathrooms (and I agree with you that it is! ), it's not necessary. I have never lived in a place with 2 bathrooms and I haven't suffered yet, not even when I was living in an apartment with 5 other roommates in college. We just learned to stagger our shower times.
Shower times can be staggered other things--not so much. Even with just the two of us there have been times with considerable conflict of interest only averted by having the second toilet. Yes, we could live without it, but I would consider giving it up to be a last resort.
post #94 of 319
Thank you so much for your joyful inspiration, Delight! I, too, love my small house. I love how it actively participates in the recycling flow I espouse - there's only just so much room in here!
post #95 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Shower times can be staggered other things--not so much. Even with just the two of us there have been times with considerable conflict of interest only averted by having the second toilet. Yes, we could live without it, but I would consider giving it up to be a last resort.
We have a little potty (similar to this) for Bella that sits in our bathroom...and it's not at all difficult for me to use it too in case the "real" toilet is occupied. It brings the JOY of 2 toilets without the extra maintenance We use it when camping as porta-potty too.
post #96 of 319
I just had a conversation with my MIL about Christmas. I asked her to buy a membership to the zoo for Ella Jean and music classes for William. She was on board with that but said she is also getting William a real grown-up size keyboard!! He's 4!! She said she wants us to buy a piano one day and this would be good practice. I just said "Space is at a premium in our house and I am trying to get rid of a lot of things we don't need. That is why I am asking for memberships and classes for the kids." I hope it sinks in.
I am getting ready to get rid of some toys. I just went through all the dress up stuff and have a lot to donate. I'm off to tackle William's room.
Again, thanks so much for your encouragement Sara!!
post #97 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Wilmo View Post
I just had a conversation with my MIL about Christmas. I asked her to buy a membership to the zoo for Ella Jean and music classes for William. She was on board with that but said she is also getting William a real grown-up size keyboard!! He's 4!! She said she wants us to buy a piano one day and this would be good practice. I just said "Space is at a premium in our house and I am trying to get rid of a lot of things we don't need. That is why I am asking for memberships and classes for the kids." I hope it sinks in.
I am getting ready to get rid of some toys. I just went through all the dress up stuff and have a lot to donate. I'm off to tackle William's room.
Again, thanks so much for your encouragement Sara!!
What a great idea! I think maybe I'll approach my mother-in-law about the same thing. They like to buy plastic toys etc...more clutter that my kid won't even play with very long. Now, how to do it tactfully...
post #98 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
Are you talking about the cloth wipes on the back of my toilet?
Oh, I was meaning the basket of towels behind the curtain with stars and stripes etc. Your comment says they are napkins folded into squares - I take it these are what you use after showering. Are they quite small? They look very pretty all folded like that.
post #99 of 319
I just had to chime in here too with how beautifully decorated and functional your home is. Decorating truly is a gift.

I skimmed the thread, so this may have been mentioned. When I am home with ds, I like the option of going into different rooms to play. Gives us a change of scenery, new things to get into, etc. Do you ever tire of being in the same room day after day?

I admit we have more space than we need. We could afford more than we have, though, and I think it's funny how I feel this sort of pressure to upsize. People act like we have a "starter home" and it is 2000 sq. ft. Up until we got this home, we always lived in 800-1000 sq. ft. I have seriously decluttered and don't have much at all. Dh, on the other hand, seems to hoard things. Drives me insane. I'd love for him to look at your blog.
post #100 of 319
Okay...I just wen through most all of the toys and got rid of so much!! I am so proud of myself!!! I kept thinking about what you said, Sara "kids will play with what they have" and that really helped. Most is going to goodwill but some stuff that my kids still play with sometimes or I think is really cool is going to our church nursery. I really feel like I'm on a roll and am thinking about doing our garage next. It has really become a dumping ground.
I would also like to know where you got those cute little towels with the stars on them...so sweet!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Simplify and Downsize...You can do it too!