or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Did your mom or MIL Breastfeed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Did your mom or MIL Breastfeed?

post #1 of 109
Thread Starter 
Did your mom/MIL breastfeed their children and did that influence or not influence you?
post #2 of 109
My mom did, and all the women I babysat for did, 2 of them well into toddlerhood. And my sister does, well into toddlerhood.
post #3 of 109
My mom couldn't because I was adopted at 3 months. She tried to get me to, but I just wasn't interested. My sort of MIL (my boyfriend, not husband) ff both her sons. In fact no one in that family in about 3 generations has bf. And they are a huge family, like 40 people.
post #4 of 109
My mom was FF. She BF'd me for 6-12 months (not sure), and FF'd my younger sister (bad advice at hospital + C-section + support from her mom to FF).

My MIL nursed all three of hers for ~18 months. She definitely inspired me to nurse and to feel comfortable nursing past a year when I was first learning about BF.
post #5 of 109
My mom did, I never thought twice about it, that's just how babies eat.

MIL did not.
post #6 of 109
Both of them.

My mil did until my sweet hubby was 6 months or so... this was in '60-70 and with very little help for a VERY mainstream mom.

My mom did until I was six months '69-'70, and also did again when my brother was born 23 (yes 23) years later. But only for six months.

Then when I had issues with my youngest failing to thrive.... who do you think was the most supportive, and who do you think said (and I quote) "you just need to get over the fact that your son does not like your breastmilk."

I will give you a hint.... I have not talked to my mother in almost two years. :
post #7 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
My MIL nursed all three of hers for ~18 months. She definitely inspired me to nurse and to feel comfortable nursing past a year when I was first learning about BF.
That is awesome! I pretty proud of my own mom for bf.
post #8 of 109
Neither one did. It didn't influence me at all. I knew I was going to. My DH family has a million excuses of why they didn't BF their kids. Baby too big, nursing to often so not getting enough so cereal at 2 weeks!! The list is too long. I have nursed both my boys in front of them my first weaned at 3 when I was pregnant with #2. They loved that!
post #9 of 109
My mom nursed me for about a year. My poor DH never had any BM. He was on rice cereal at 2 weeks old in 1981.
post #10 of 109
My mom breastfed me, but I know it was under a year. My husband was not, but I believe that was pressure from the hospital than choice on his mother's part. His mom told me that they put him on a feeding schedule, and that when she went to feed him, they wouldn't let her or they had already given him formula.
post #11 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaches1098 View Post
Neither one did. It didn't influence me at all. I knew I was going to. My DH family has a million excuses of why they didn't BF their kids. Baby too big, nursing to often so not getting enough so cereal at 2 weeks!! The list is too long. I have nursed both my boys in front of them my first weaned at 3 when I was pregnant with #2. They loved that!
Good for you! Whoa...cereal at two weeks! Poor little babies!!
post #12 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
My mom nursed me for about a year. My poor DH never had any BM. He was on rice cereal at 2 weeks old in 1981.
Wow, I just responded to another post that said rice cereal at two weeks! Poor little guy!
post #13 of 109
Thread Starter 
My mom nursed back in the 70s and 80s. I don't think many women did back then. I know my mom was looked down upon by relatives for nursing and they made her go in another room at family gatherings.

So I make sure I publicly nurse for the sisterhood and the babyhood!
post #14 of 109
My mother was unable to nurse me because she was diagnosed with cancer while pregnant with me, and a week after my birth she began the long process of treatment to get her into remission.

I was influenced by my grandmother and my aunt, who both breastfed. Grandma nursed her babies despite the fact that she faced a ton of criticism for it, since it was not the socially acceptable thing to do at the time. My aunt nursed my cousins, and she never hid in a room or ducked under blankets. It was natural and beautiful, and I remember not even thinking anything of it.

I always intended to nurse my children. It just seems right to me.

MIL did not bf and thinks it is gross. I really don't care what she thinks.
post #15 of 109
My sisters were both ff, advise from hospital believe it or not, then I came along 18 years later and she bf me until I weaned myself at about a year. My MIL never bf my husband or his brother.
post #16 of 109
Neither did and as far as I know, neither did their moms. I believe I might be the first BF'er in my family on both sides since the invention of formula. Sad isn't it? My sister also did not BF so apparently I'm the only smart lady in my family
post #17 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glycerin19 View Post
Neither did and as far as I know, neither did their moms. I believe I might be the first BF'er in my family on both sides since the invention of formula. Sad isn't it? My sister also did not BF so apparently I'm the only smart lady in my family
Good for you for bucking the trend!
post #18 of 109
My mom breast fed all 5 of us... She has some anti-NIP attitudes, but overall is supportive. I always knew I would BF.

MIL.... DIFFERENT STORY. FF everyone. No one Bf's. DD is the first born to people prepared to be parents. At DD's blessing party she wanted to eat, and MIL's sister said she'd make the bottle. See, I had a can of Formula on my counter for my SIL who is adopting... the can was for her. I said, nope, she is BF. She said that was selfish because she wanted to feed the baby. GRRRRRRR

I later told MIL that I was breast feeding, and did not desire input on that decision. She said she knew it was best. She just wishes she could watch the baby more because since I'm feeding the baby, she has to be with me.
post #19 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
My mom breast fed all 5 of us... She has some anti-NIP attitudes, but overall is supportive. I always knew I would BF.

MIL.... DIFFERENT STORY. FF everyone. No one Bf's. DD is the first born to people prepared to be parents. At DD's blessing party she wanted to eat, and MIL's sister said she'd make the bottle. See, I had a can of Formula on my counter for my SIL who is adopting... the can was for her. I said, nope, she is BF. She said that was selfish because she wanted to feed the baby. GRRRRRRR

I later told MIL that I was breast feeding, and did not desire input on that decision. She said she knew it was best. She just wishes she could watch the baby more because since I'm feeding the baby, she has to be with me.

Kudos to your mom for bf-ing 5! Wow, your SIL said you were being selfish to not let her feed a bottle?? Yes, I hear you about MIL. My mother in law asks when I'll wean so baby can stay over night at Grandma's.

post #20 of 109
I don't know about mil, but my mom bf'd all 3 of us in the late 60s/early 80s when it wasn't "the thing" to do. She's very supportive of bf'ing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Did your mom or MIL Breastfeed?