or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Compacting Mommas?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Compacting Mommas? - Page 11

post #201 of 461
Thats tough.

My ds likes to go to the Salvation Army to get toys- but the toys are usually junky stuff like I'm trying to ban from my house.

I try to get him to use money on stuff from eBay- good stuff like marbles, or a nice set of blocks or something- but I guess kids dont get the thrill of online buying like I do.
post #202 of 461
I keep being called back to this thread

My habits are out of control. :

I have little to no self discipline, we eat out alot, impulse buy, have alot of clutter....

We do buy alot used.

Still...this is such a challenge for me......

I guess I will lurk and think some more...
post #203 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Hey Hip mama! Yay, I'm so glad you're going to do this with me. . . I knew you would. I can't wait to see you now so I can sabotage your de-cluttering with giving you more of Zane's old clothes for Mylo. :

I LOVE hand me downs
Less to buy


Im still trying to think of my personal compact.
Eating out would be a great one for me to include. We eat out about once a week. Im a sucker for pizza mmm papa Johns and their crust is vegan too. I will try to not eat papa Johns. I will try Like a pp said, Baby steps

I love the not throwing food out. I try my hardest to save leftovers. Im not vary good at using leftovers tho. Does anybody know of a cook book that is soley about using leftovers?

Dh and i are really trying to stay away from Big Box companies all together. Im in need of some suggestions for places to get things like toilet paper, cat litter, dish soap, vinager ect. We Do not want to support those nasty nasty coorporations.
post #204 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama View Post

I love the not throwing food out. I try my hardest to save leftovers. Im not vary good at using leftovers tho. Does anybody know of a cook book that is soley about using leftovers?
I too would love such a cookbook?
post #205 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
Yep, the group IS brand new, and we're happy to have new members!

Adding photos is easy! If the photo is on your hard drive, say, in your My Pictures folder, you would go to Photos in the group, then Add Photo. The first time you'll want to Add to a new album and type in the name of your album (like "kellid's photos"). Gow down to where it says "Photo 1" (space) then a button that says "browse." Click the browse button and go to My Pictures on your computer. Pick the one you want (thumbnails are helpful here!) and then go to the bottom of the page and "add now." You're done!
are you talking about the barter's market or the compacting mommas group on yahoo? i can't find where to "go to Photos in the group".
post #206 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post

I try to get him to use money on stuff from eBay- good stuff like marbles, or a nice set of blocks or something- but I guess kids dont get the thrill of online buying like I do.
my boys love ebay -- they are always wanting me to check on things for them. So far they have purchased playmobil, beanie babies and fossils for their collections.
post #207 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama View Post
Dh and i are really trying to stay away from Big Box companies all together. Im in need of some suggestions for places to get things like toilet paper, cat litter, dish soap, vinager ect. We Do not want to support those nasty nasty coorporations.
Even TJs and Costco and the like? So ALL corporations? Because I think the items you mentioned are all made by big corporations anyway.

For TP you could switch to cloth.

We get cat litter at Petco because they offer a refillable bin - less waste, we just take it in and refill it once a week.

Vinegar we buy at Fred Meyer. Dish soap at Trader Joe's.
post #208 of 461
kellid, I was talking about the Yahoo! group. The Photos section on the bar on the lefthand side, under messages and files. I don't know the bartering group.

We bought a new-to-us kitchen!! It's the display model I linked to above - I guess the other offer fell through, and we went in today to get it. I posted pictures on my blog. I'm SOOOOO excited! And we bought the display model, not new, which I think still works within Compact rules.
post #209 of 461
I've been lurking at the thread for a week or so now, and had an epiphany today. I should totally do this! I feel too timid to jump in though.

Where I live, there's a second hand store for practically anything you'd need. Thrift for clothes and toys, even art and home furnishings. There's a second hand media store where you can buy, sell, and trade new and used books, DVDs, VHS, CDs, even iPods! There's also Goodwill and Freecycle, tons of churches=tons of children's consignment sales. Heck, the MOPS group I'm in even has a semi annual event called Mop Swap--where all the mamas bring in anything they don't want (clothes, kids clothes, toys, books, ANYTHING) and we put it all around the room and everyone can go "shopping" for free.

I have been decluttering since the summer and am really seeing a change in how I'm viewing our things/posessions. I am getting very tired of being controlled by advertising and promotional media. I want to discourage this sort of hoarding and desire to purchase, to accumulate, in my children while they are young enough to accept it without a huge struggle.

Looking forward to learning more and more from you all. Hopefully I'll get off of this fence soon!
post #210 of 461
Momaste, that kitchen is gorgeous! Congratulations.
post #211 of 461
Thanks! I'm SOOO excited about it!
post #212 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama View Post
I love the not throwing food out. I try my hardest to save leftovers. Im not vary good at using leftovers tho. Does anybody know of a cook book that is soley about using leftovers?
Do you freeze leftovers? I usually freeze leftover soup and it works great. Or...you can use the leftovers you have to MAKE the soup. Or use leftovers as a topping for pasta. There are websites that you can put in your ingredients and they will come up with a recipe (sorry...don't know the actual sites) But here is a cookbook: Use it Up: Creative Recipes for the Frugal Cook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama View Post
Dh and i are really trying to stay away from Big Box companies all together. Im in need of some suggestions for places to get things like toilet paper, cat litter, dish soap, vinager ect. We Do not want to support those nasty nasty coorporations.
This is a great goal...it's hard sometimes, but we try to do that too. I would just second the same things chasmyn said. Cloth TP works great. You can get dishsoap from smaller places...Dr. Bronner's is great, vinegar from a local grocery store.
post #213 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Even TJs and Costco and the like? So ALL corporations? Because I think the items you mentioned are all made by big corporations anyway.

For TP you could switch to cloth.

We get cat litter at Petco because they offer a refillable bin - less waste, we just take it in and refill it once a week.

Vinegar we buy at Fred Meyer. Dish soap at Trader Joe's.
Sorry for sounding confusing .

We are not wanting to buy from big box companies like walmart, Target, costco ect. These are the type of companies that drive out your local, mom & pop type of shops.
Im just curious were others get their stuff. Not all corporations are bad but im trying not to buy from the Big 3 (ex. Proctor & Gamble), the ones that own just about everything
We get our cat litter from a local pet store that sells cat litter made here in Indiana from a very small company. When we had a dog, we found awesome Holistic dog food, made here in Indiana, at this same shop.

Cloth Tp, Im not sure if im ready to make that step yet
I do use cloth everything else, even mama pads
I don't think I would have the support from dh or dd with this I think they would rather compost our poo before we use cloth tp (we have talked about doing this ).
post #214 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
Do you freeze leftovers? I usually freeze leftover soup and it works great. Or...you can use the leftovers you have to MAKE the soup. Or use leftovers as a topping for pasta. There are websites that you can put in your ingredients and they will come up with a recipe (sorry...don't know the actual sites) But here is a cookbook: Use it Up: Creative Recipes for the Frugal Cook.
.
Thanks!
Im going to go check this book out from our library
post #215 of 461
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama View Post
Im just curious were others get their stuff. Not all corporations are bad but im trying not to buy from the Big 3 (ex. Proctor & Gamble), the ones that own just about everything
We get our cat litter from a local pet store that sells cat litter made here in Indiana from a very small company. When we had a dog, we found awesome Holistic dog food, made here in Indiana, at this same shop
We buy almost everything from our locally owned HFS or co-op. If I have to pick up an RX, I'll stop by a Kroger-owned store in the next town over since there's not a single locally owned pharmacy in the county and at the same time I might pick up TP or something. Mostly, though we use a co-op or HFS.

I'm not ready for cloth TP either. I don't know why I have such an aversion to it since I've traveled to a lot of countries that don't make use of TP at all. We opt for TP made of recycyled materials.
post #216 of 461
Go for the cloth. Go for the cloth. I had an aversion too, and I'm a prude. I spent a few months in Indonesia quite some time ago and they didn't use anything, well, your hands and I survived that. Then I heard about cloth and was so in awe. I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now and my husband doesn't even know. We are potty learning my 2yo and we have wipes on the toilet and a bag for him (and I) but dh has no clue, only because I would get one of those looks and I'm not ready for one of those looks. Like when I told him I switched detergent for bs/vin/tto. Or when I started making my own cleaners, or "hippie crap" as he so fondly refers to it. Anyway ranting here. Go for cloth. Go for cloth.
post #217 of 461
kellid, please tell me your recipe for detergent with bs, vin and tto.

Delight, thanks for the cookbook tip. I've been using a lot our old vegetables to make broths, but I could use some more ideas.

We had a terrible day in term of The Compact yesterday. Used a ton of gas to drive to and from a theme park two-and-a-half hours from home (to meet up with family), then consumed too much junk food (although we would've eaten more junk, I'm sure, if I hadn't brought our lunch from home--sandwiches wrapped in cuttings from an old tablecloth). Overall, my DDs and I had a great time, but I really noticed the consumption-based attitudes of the family members. My 6-year-old nephew, who has been to this theme park several times in recent weeks, wanted to do nothing but play those games where you win a big overbright stuffed Sponge Bob. My DDs, who rarely go to theme parks or malls, understood the limits I put in place before we went in: We were there for the rides and to spend time with the family, not to get sucked into all the money pits. I promised I'd buy them each one frozen lemonade sometime during the day. Still, after a day of listening to my nephew whine for stuff from the gift shop, my 7-year-old DD had a bit of an ordeal getting past the gift shop without getting a souvenir. And I ended up buying popcorn (four dollars for a bag!) because the other family members got some and gave it to my DDs, and I felt I should contribute a bag for everyone to share, too. And then we got a fast food dinner on the way home. Yuck.
post #218 of 461
The switch to cloth TP hasn't been bad at all. Especially if you're already washing cloth diapers, it's literally NO extra work. The used TP goes right into the dirty diaper bin (in the bathroom) and then tossed in the laundry together. Couldn't be easier, and it's more absorbant, less messy, more comfy on a sore tush, and doesn't leave lint. Why didn't I do it sooner?

witch's mom, that sounds like a very hard place to not buy!! You should be commended for not bringing more junk into your home - you bought snacks, but didn't get a huge SpongeBob to remind you of the day! Is it possible to plan family outings somewhere less consumptive (is that a word?) next time? Like a trip to a park for a picnic?
post #219 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by witch's mom View Post
We had a terrible day in term of The Compact yesterday. Used a ton of gas to drive to and from a theme park two-and-a-half hours from home (to meet up with family), then consumed too much junk food (although we would've eaten more junk, I'm sure, if I hadn't brought our lunch from home--sandwiches wrapped in cuttings from an old tablecloth). Overall, my DDs and I had a great time, but I really noticed the consumption-based attitudes of the family members. My 6-year-old nephew, who has been to this theme park several times in recent weeks, wanted to do nothing but play those games where you win a big overbright stuffed Sponge Bob. My DDs, who rarely go to theme parks or malls, understood the limits I put in place before we went in: We were there for the rides and to spend time with the family, not to get sucked into all the money pits. I promised I'd buy them each one frozen lemonade sometime during the day. Still, after a day of listening to my nephew whine for stuff from the gift shop, my 7-year-old DD had a bit of an ordeal getting past the gift shop without getting a souvenir. And I ended up buying popcorn (four dollars for a bag!) because the other family members got some and gave it to my DDs, and I felt I should contribute a bag for everyone to share, too. And then we got a fast food dinner on the way home. Yuck.
This is what we will face at Thanksgiving with the ils. THe day after we go downtown in Seattle for the parade and a day of mindless shopping. The boys will be drug around with their cousin to toy stores, movie, etc. I put my foot down that ds and nephew will not go with mil and sil and I to IKEA though. THat place is mayhem and my sil just buys whatever for her son. Ds whas pretty mad that I said no, but it will be hard enough for myself going and sticking to the compact and just getting gifts, I don't need my son crying for toys, cookies, etc.
post #220 of 461
It is hard, this consumption thing with my DH's family. I wish we could have chosen a less consumptive place to gather yesterday, but my mil had bought all the kids passes to this theme park, so we felt compelled to use them before the season ends next weekend. I think my mil already is a little offended that we haven't used them before this point.

My husband's family is all about the STUFF. Not a visit goes by that my kids don't come home laden with new clothes, stuffed animals, toys. Right now my sil is visiting from Europe and when we had a family reunion two weeks ago, I knew I'd better come bearing gifts for my nieces and nephews, otherwise I'd be the ONLY auntie not offering gifts while my own DDs sat there being lavished with stuff. So I got each kid a Halloween shirt and a light stick. (And felt coerced the whole time, even though no one was saying I HAD to do it.) Sure enough, my DDs came home with a jumbo bag of Halloween M&Ms, some Halloween candles, plastic bead kits, a stuffed animal each and a box each of--get this--TWENTY FIVE light sticks! Christmas is embarrassingly consumptive. My mil and sils love to buy stuff for the girls, and consequently, my little DD (who is the more vocal of my two) says before we go to my mil's: "I wonder what Grandma bought us." They just have a TOTALLY different mindset. I don't hope to change them as much as I just want to somehow immunize my DDs against it. Luckily, we don't see them that often.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Compacting Mommas?