or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Compacting Mommas?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Compacting Mommas? - Page 4

post #61 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
What about fabric? I am still trying to get off paper and want to get some more flannel for ktichen wipe up towels. I thought about using my old flannel sheets, but, they are really ugly, and part of my motivation for going off paper products (and being motivated to do more laundry)is the beauty of the fabrics i got to pick out.

What do you guys think?
What about looking on freecycle? DD and I are switching to cloth TP and my first post on my blog after writing that I was joining the Compact, was about what kind of cloth wipes I was looking to possibly buy. Honestly for my kitchen, the "wipe up" spill kinda towel are just old washcloths or microfiber cloths. Nothing fancy! I have pretty kitchen towels, but I don't think of those as the same. What if you put out an ISO on the TP or freecycle for kitchen towels and then cut them into the sizes you want and hem the edges? They could be very nice, and you would be recycling. Honestly if you think you want to buy some sort of raw material to *make* something that does not violate the Compact in my mind. I'm still buying yarn to make specific projects (not to add to a stash) but will always try to find a way to trade for it first.
post #62 of 461

Not in violation

My Compact pledge says, "Excepting only those things needed for work and the health and safety of my family, I pledge not to buy new."

I think cloth for wipes would fit under this exception. They are for hygenic purposes, after all. (And I'm pretty certain that the Compacters who use paper loo roll will be buying that new! )
post #63 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
My Compact pledge says, "Excepting only those things needed for work and the health and safety of my family, I pledge not to buy new."

I think cloth for wipes would fit under this exception. They are for hygenic purposes, after all. (And I'm pretty certain that the Compacters who use paper loo roll will be buying that new! )
Yeah, I thought about it from that perspective, but then realized I have TONS of fabric sitting around here. I also have a massive collection of washcloths that I once bought on sale for 99cents each. The point is I know I can reuse something I already have, but my instinct was to try to buy something new
post #64 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Yeah, I thought about it from that perspective, but then realized I have TONS of fabric sitting around here. I also have a massive collection of washcloths that I once bought on sale for 99cents each. The point is I know I can reuse something I already have, but my instinct was to try to buy something new
Old T-shirts cut up are the BEST cloth wipes for TP ... so soft. Flannel is nice. You can use tons of different "old" things. I use socks without a mate to dust and clean.
post #65 of 461
Thread Starter 

On the Subject of Food, Craft Items and so on

I think that food--even dining out--and craft items (i.e. raw materials that can be made into something else like wood, cloth, wool) are exempt from the the compact unless of course you want to provide restrictions on them for yourself. Kinda like they're optional, not mandatory. Or at least that's how several seasoned compacters informed me when I asked the question on the Yahoo! Group ...
post #66 of 461
I was directed to this thread by Delight (sara) and I'm so glad I read it!
Can I be on board too?? I totally love this!
It's quite funny because on the way to Goodwill today to drop off more stuff from decluttering my home, I realized it was "Fall cleanup", meaning everyone puts stuff out by the end of the street that they don't want anymore. Most of the time it's junk and since I'm decluttering I wasn't going to even pay attention till I came to a stopsign and sitting beside me was this old highchair from way back when! It was missing the tray but we really needed a booster seat since our highchair won't fit at the table and she wants to be a "big girl" and sit at the table, but still too short to sit on a chair by herself! So I was like wow, this seems shorter and I bet it will work, It's free and I won't need to buy her a seat. I'm going to sand it down and repaint it and poof, free, nice, antique awesome chair (i'll have to post a picture someday!) They also had a laundry bin- a white one/kind of wicker...we needed a kitchen trash can (we've never had one)...so I am going to convert that into a kitchen trash can! So I got two things I've needed, for free! Then I come home and read this thread and was like WOW, I really need to jump on board! I'm going to talk to hubby tonight and see if he'll get on board too!

********Oh, as for christmas gifts for adults...What we did last year was Make footprints of my daughter's feet and then put ribbon through them for ornaments, and then made homemade frames and put a cute picture of her in it for all of the relatives and friends! Just an idea! You can do handprints too. This year we are going to do handprints (last year she wouldn't get her hand still!) Not sure what else we'll do yet... but everyone loved the idea of it and all her grandma's has her footprint hanging in their living room on the wall...it's just the cutest thing ever!!************


You ladies are the greatest! I so love MDC!!!

Erica
post #67 of 461
That is so cool, Erica! We don't have anything like that here...the only things you're allowed to put at the curb are the city-issued garbage cans (and unfortunately, I don't see any freecycle groups in our area, either). I look forward to a picture of the high chair--how awesome!
post #68 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I think that food--even dining out--and craft items (i.e. raw materials that can be made into something else like wood, cloth, wool) are exempt from the the compact unless of course you want to provide restrictions on them for yourself. Kinda like they're optional, not mandatory. Or at least that's how several seasoned compacters informed me when I asked the question on the Yahoo! Group ...
I need the crafting restrictions :
post #69 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I need the crafting restrictions :
Me too

I just assumed that with Freecycle- we we're too far awy- but it turns out alot of people nearby use it! I'll check it out. DH actually looked into it and wants to start trying it!
post #70 of 461
Okay, I'm joining you, with the stipulation that home remodel costs aren't included! I started a blog, but have never blogged before and it's rather dull! Here it is.

So another question on buying: I want to switch to a Diva Cup. This goes under health and safety and is a-okay on the rules, right?
post #71 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
Okay, I'm joining you, with the stipulation that home remodel costs aren't included! I started a blog, but have never blogged before and it's rather dull! Here it is.

So another question on buying: I want to switch to a Diva Cup. This goes under health and safety and is a-okay on the rules, right?
That's great!!! I'm so excited about doing this.

I'd say the Diva Cup is perfectly okay and would be allowed under health and safety. I am switching over to mama cloth and don't know how to sew, so I will be buying some of those for sure.
post #72 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrylivinmomtoB View Post
So I got two things I've needed, for free! Then I come home and read this thread and was like WOW, I really need to jump on board! I'm going to talk to hubby tonight and see if he'll get on board too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
Okay, I'm joining you, with the stipulation that home remodel costs aren't included! I started a blog, but have never blogged before and it's rather dull! Here it is.

So another question on buying: I want to switch to a Diva Cup. This goes under health and safety and is a-okay on the rules, right?
Yay! Another one joining! Diva cup...for sure. I just bought one a few months ago and then lost it in the move before I could even use it!! I need to search.

Just a thought...I think it's good to remember that there really aren't any "Compact Police". You are basically making your own exceptions to the general "rules"...and I think you know when it's something that you wouldn't "allow". Just be wise and don't beat yourself up about the nit-picky things. You're already making such a huge difference. Congrats to everyone.
post #73 of 461
I am so thrilled that there is a group of us doing this together on here! This will be great support. I am also planning on using my blog to keep myself in line.
post #74 of 461
DH thinks it's a nice idea for me, but isn't interested in participating. He owns his own business and there are a lot of associated costs, and a lot of waste (it's construction related.) We talked about him just being more mindful of purchases and trying to find a way to use less, or reuse. He's thinking about it now at least.

I recently stocked up on paper towels and am considering switching to cloth. I'll have to buy cloth napkins. I don't even have any! Same with feminine hygeine products - I want to switch, but just bought the Costco-sized packages. And diapers. We just switched to cloth and I'm happy with that, but I bought a Costco box of diapers and have used some, so I can't return it. I've been using them for overnights right now, until we run out, then I'll do cloth exclusively. Cleaning products are the same way - we have Swiffer refills and Clorox wipes. I think I'm going to Freecycle those.

I feel like I was just hit in the head one day in my disposable life and realized, hey, what am I doing? Look at all the money I'm throwing away. Look at all the waste. I can do better than this. So here I am.
post #75 of 461
Momaste, if you're able to switch over to cloth right now, you could always donate those large packages of disposable items to a homeless ministry or women's shelter. Those kinds of things are always needed.
post #76 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
DH thinks it's a nice idea for me, but isn't interested in participating. He owns his own business and there are a lot of associated costs, and a lot of waste (it's construction related.)
There is an exception in the "rules" about any work related expenses...just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
Momaste, if you're able to switch over to cloth right now, you could always donate those large packages of disposable items to a homeless ministry or women's shelter. Those kinds of things are always needed.
I agree...for me, I always do better when I just go gung ho and start right away I'm sure a shelter would LOVE to have those items.
post #77 of 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
I agree...for me, I always do better when I just go gung ho and start right away I'm sure a shelter would LOVE to have those items.
I am the same way, I have to just jump on in or I will talk myself out of it. Sometimes I end up being a little overly strict on myself though too, so I am trying to be realistic.
post #78 of 461
I'm taking a bunch of clothes to the local shelter. I'll add the feminine hygeine supplies while I'm at it. I'm thinking of keeping the paper towels for DH's work - he uses them when the project is oily or greasy. And DH isn't comfortable with cloth diapers at night yet, but I'm sure that if the sposies were suddenly gone, we'd make do.
post #79 of 461
Wow. This is an amazing idea. I need to mull it over. It's pretty captivating, I must admit.

Jesse
post #80 of 461

Woo-hooo!!!!!!!!!

I talked this over again tonight with DH and he says that he is on board! So, we are both going to be compacting! Now, I'm a little doubtful that he will actual make it the entire year, but he says that he likes the idea and is commiting himself to it! I'm so glad you've given me such encouragement here...otherwise I probably would not have even considered doing this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Compacting Mommas?