or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Can you refuse C/S at the hospital?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you refuse C/S at the hospital?

post #1 of 75
Thread Starter 
Short story: DD was breech, and I'd been planning a version and doing accupuncture, etc., but went into labor early. And ended up with a c-section. I'm past it, but I was looking around in here contemplating VBACs and UC and I started wondering about dd's birth... Although it was 2 1/2 years ago!

What would have happened if I went to the hospital but said "no" to the c-section or refused to sign the consent forms. Would they tell me they wouldn't let me birth there? Kick me out? Would I have been able to try for a vaginal birth? Has anybody done such a thing? What was the reaction and outcome? I'm curious!
post #2 of 75
You can refuse anything. They cannot turn you away in active labor.
Good luck!
post #3 of 75
I don't have personal experience with this, but some women use this as a way to get a vbac. I have heard lots of horror stories about this too. They have to take you, if you say no to the c-section they aren't supposed to do it. If you sign any of their blanket consent forms (or your husband does) it gives them the OK though. I just read a story about a mom who was given "oxygen" and they actually put her under general anesthesia and did a c-section. She was pushing at the time. They had to push the baby up the birth canal (he was crowning I think) to get it out for the c-section. The only reason for this was that hospital policy did not allow VBAC.
So yes, you could do this, you may be faced with them telling you that you will kill your baby, and they may physically assault you to force you to have a c-section. Some women have succeeded at this though.
www.ican-online.org is a great site for c-section information and they have an email group where you could find more stories.
post #4 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Short story: DD was breech, and I'd been planning a version and doing accupuncture, etc., but went into labor early. And ended up with a c-section. I'm past it, but I was looking around in here contemplating VBACs and UC and I started wondering about dd's birth... Although it was 2 1/2 years ago!

What would have happened if I went to the hospital but said "no" to the c-section or refused to sign the consent forms. Would they tell me they wouldn't let me birth there? Kick me out? Would I have been able to try for a vaginal birth? Has anybody done such a thing? What was the reaction and outcome? I'm curious!
The lone voice of dissent...

Be glad you were spared the version. They are dangerous. Crazy dangerous and you may have ended up with a csection anyway, an emergency one which would not have been cool. Your baby chose to be breech for a reason, trust that your baby knew what he/she was doing.
Also, think about this, maybe a csection was the best option for you at that time based on your previous choices. Many OBs are not trained in vaginal breech deliveries, and if they are untrained, well that could have been a dangerous situation for your child. There is a good amount of risk to first time mothers having breech babies, but its glossed over here.

Frankly, you could have demanded no csection and been handed a resident to attend you had you been at a teaching hospital all the while while they harrassed you into consenting to a surgical birth. You would have entered into a hostile enviroment, and maybe even a legal one. You also could have left AMA and gone to a second hospital or just gone home to tough things out on your own.

Personally I would play the what "if" game because what is done is done, but you can make different choices, more informed choices before you bring another kid into the world.
post #5 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Short story: DD was breech, and I'd been planning a version and doing accupuncture, etc., but went into labor early. And ended up with a c-section. I'm past it, but I was looking around in here contemplating VBACs and UC and I started wondering about dd's birth... Although it was 2 1/2 years ago!

What would have happened if I went to the hospital but said "no" to the c-section or refused to sign the consent forms. Would they tell me they wouldn't let me birth there? Kick me out? Would I have been able to try for a vaginal birth? Has anybody done such a thing? What was the reaction and outcome? I'm curious!
If the doctors knew baby was breech I don't think it would have mattered if you signed consent or not. At some point they would have decided that it was an emergent situation and that the baby needed to be delivered. If they had policy against breech you were probably stuck. They can give you a c-section at almost any point in the birth, so they probably would have just waited til you were beyond being able to say no, and then done it. The majority or hospitals won't do vaginal breech. And in some states midwives are not allowd to do them at home. It's just one of those very unfortunate things.
post #6 of 75
There have been stories of women refusing cesareans and hospitals obtaining court orders to do them.

But, that said, if you are planning another pregnancy, I would find a VBAC-friendly provider and birth location and go for it. Get involved with ICAN now. In most cases women who had a previous c/s for a breech baby are great candidates for VBAC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Be glad you were spared the version. They are dangerous. Crazy dangerous and you may have ended up with a csection anyway, an emergency one which would not have been cool.
If versions were so dangerous practioners wouldn't offer them or make referrals to those who specialize in them. In fact, external versions have become more widely used over the past 15 years or so based on their strong safety record and approximate 65% success rate. I can't imagine that a physician or midwife would refer a patient for a version if there was any question at all for that woman's personal safety or the safety of her baby. If a medical reason precludes attempting a version for a vaginal birth over a surgical one, I also imagine that would be explained in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Also, think about this, maybe a csection was the best option for you at that time based on your previous choices.
What a horrendous statement. Why on earth would you try and make this mother feel guilty for wanting to attempt a vaginal birth? Maybe her "previous choices" were what was best for her. Who are you to stand and make judgement?
post #7 of 75
[QUOTE=OnTheFence;6240234]The lone voice of dissent...

Be glad you were spared the version. They are dangerous. Crazy dangerous and you may have ended up with a csection anyway, an emergency one which would not have been cool. Your baby chose to be breech for a reason, trust that your baby knew what he/she was doing.
Also, think about this, maybe a csection was the best option for you at that time based on your previous choices. Many OBs are not trained in vaginal breech deliveries, and if they are untrained, well that could have been a dangerous situation for your child. There is a good amount of risk to first time mothers having breech babies, but its glossed over here.
QUOTE]

What an offensive thing to say! Do you have any RESEARCH to back up your theory that external versions are "crazy dangerous"? That is an incredibly irresponsible statement to make.

Also, you cannot tell another person what her baby chose to do in the womb. You have no idea! And some babies do not "choose" to be breech. My breech baby was in that position because his cord was wrapped around his torso and leg. Do you think he did gymnastics in my womb to get the cord just right so he would be breech?

You are right on one thing. Not enough OBs are trained to help a mother manage a vaginal breech birth. But no one can tell a mother "maybe a c-section was the best thing for you". Birth is personal.

I am shocked to find this kind of totally unsupportive and offensive post on MDC.
post #8 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlewomyn View Post
www.ican-online.org is a great site for c-section information and they have an email group where you could find more stories.
I second this. ICAN is a wonderful source for research-based information on c-sections and VBACs. You can even talk online with mothers in your area who can give you the scoop on local OBs, midwives and hospitals.
post #9 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
There have been stories of women refusing cesareans and hospitals obtaining court orders to do them.

But, that said, if you are planning another pregnancy, I would find a VBAC-friendly provider and birth location and go for it. Get involved with ICAN now. In most cases women who had a previous c/s for a breech baby are great candidates for VBAC.


If versions were so dangerous practioners wouldn't offer them or make referrals to those who specialize in them. In fact, external versions have become more widely used over the past 15 years or so based on their strong safety record and approximate 65% success rate. I can't imagine that a physician or midwife would refer a patient for a version if there was any question at all for that woman's personal safety or the safety of her baby. If a medical reason precludes attempting a version for a vaginal birth over a surgical one, I also imagine that would be explained in detail.

What a horrendous statement. Why on earth would you try and make this mother feel guilty for wanting to attempt a vaginal birth? Maybe her "previous choices" were what was best for her. Who are you to stand and make judgement?
Actually many private practice OBs do not offer ECV any longer. I know of two locally that do not. They do not have a 65% success rate either. Each doctor has their own success rate in turning, a percentage of those that do turn still end up as surgical births due to other complications: cord issues, distress, etc. So while there may be more than a 50% success rate in turning the baby, this doesn't me a vaginal birth will happen. Most EVCs are followed by induction.
post #10 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama View Post
Quote removed by moderator.
Yes I support the choice of Cesarean just as I support a woman's right to homebirth or have a natural vaginal birth.
post #11 of 75
I have removed quite a few posts that were in violation of the MDC User Agreement. I will be contacting those of you who had a post removed shortly to further discuss.

A gentle but firm reminder:

Everyone please keep the MDC User Agreement in mind when posting.

It's important to remember that there are a variety of passionate perspectives surrounding these topics. You are free to disagree, but please be civil and respectful.

If a thread has too many User Agreement violations, it often cannot be returned to the board, and that would be a loss for those of us who are seeking the information in the future.

Please feel free to PM me if there are any questions, concerns or further comments about UA Violations

Thanks for your support and cooperation!
post #12 of 75
Mod hat off :

Quote:
If versions were so dangerous practioners wouldn't offer them or make referrals to those who specialize in them.
I don't exactly see this as a valid reason why just because doctors either DO something or refer women to doctors who do makes them less dangerous though. I know a good number of allopathic practitioners in my area who practice some forms of non-evidence-based medicine that medical research has either shown to be potentially dangerous or of questionable benefit. Just because it's done doesn't mean it's "safe." I have a feeling we agree on this
post #13 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
What would have happened if I went to the hospital but said "no" to the c-section or refused to sign the consent forms. Would they tell me they wouldn't let me birth there? Kick me out? Would I have been able to try for a vaginal birth? Has anybody done such a thing? What was the reaction and outcome? I'm curious!
I refused, they cut me open anyways and called CPS on me and tried to take my children from me. It was hell.
Yes, I contacted lawyers, posted about it on MDC, etc. Nothing ever happened.
post #14 of 75
Quote:
I refused, they cut me open anyways and called CPS on me and tried to take my children from me. It was hell.
OH my word! I cannot believe that! Now, I was under the impression (since I used to work in L/D), that anyone can refuse ANYTHING. Of course they may try to convince you otherwise with manipulation, but if you do not sign the CONSENT for surgery, I don't believe they can do it. Now, that is my understanding. I remember a gal that refused a C/S when she really needed one. Since she refused, the doctor did not do the section but tried to assist her vaginally as best as she could. Unfortunately, the baby did not survive. The reason why I bring this up is to let you know that some (I can't speak for all) doctors do respect a patient's refusal.

I think everyone on this forum knows this: Everything has a risk. The freedom to acess those risks and make the best decision for you is the best way to go. Some of us would rather be in a hospital, some of us would rather stay at home, etc. We take the risks and take responsibility of the outcome. That's the beauty of being able to take control of our health.
post #15 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
What a horrendous statement. Why on earth would you try and make this mother feel guilty for wanting to attempt a vaginal birth? Maybe her "previous choices" were what was best for her. Who are you to stand and make judgement?
Thank you! OTF, that was SO not helpful.
post #16 of 75
Thread Starter 
MITB How horrible!

I know ICAN, and I'm not pregnant but am talking to some different midwives etc. for down the road.

As for the version, well, I recall that at the time, I had intuition? the baby? something... telling me it didn't matter if I scheduled a version or not. And indeed, it didn't matter at all in the end. Risks and benefits of one are a matter for another thread, imo.
post #17 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
I refused, they cut me open anyways and called CPS on me and tried to take my children from me. It was hell.
Yes, I contacted lawyers, posted about it on MDC, etc. Nothing ever happened.
Why didnt you just walk out? :
post #18 of 75
i dont know if this makes you feel better or not, but ime/imo a preterm breech baby is SAFER w/a c/s. in preterm babes thier heads are so much bigger than their butts and they run a real risk of head entrapment.
post #19 of 75
I had a c-section with my first because she was breech. At the time, the midwife I was seeing (in a practice with OBs) said that if I had a "proven pelvis" (meaning that I had given birth vaginally before) they would have considered it, but that no doctor there would consider it for a first-time mom. They also didn't do versions because they did not feel that the benefits outweighed the risks. Looking back, I regret not doing more to try to have a vaginal birth, but, like another poster said, what's done is done. Technically, I think that doctors can be sued for battery if they do surgery on you without your consent, but the blanket consent form they make you sign pretty much covers them to do anything in case of "emergency." I don't think I would have shown up at the hospital and refused a c-section in any event because I would not have wanted to be in the care of someone who has never done a vaginal breech birth, which I imagine a lot of younger doctors probably haven't. The good news for us is that women with first c-sections for breech babies have the highest rate of successful VBACs as long as the second one is not breech, and I had a successful VBAC in April 2004, and am planning another one next February.

Cheers,
Minta
mom to 2 and one on the way...
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Actually many private practice OBs do not offer ECV any longer. I know of two locally that do not.
Consider that the OBs not offering external versions simply prefer c-sections. C-sections bring in more money, they can be scheduled and often women can be coerced into repeat c-sections.

I think the most important thing to take from this discussion is to choose a care provider carefully. Finding someone who shares your view of birth can make all the difference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Can you refuse C/S at the hospital?