or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › When does one call the police on carseat issues?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When does one call the police on carseat issues? - Page 2

post #21 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiLorelie View Post
You'd rather risk that they could get into an accident with an unrestrained child?
Mentally weighing out the odds, it seems far more likely that the child could end up being removed from his/her otherwise good parents. I won't take that risk.
post #22 of 104
: You know threads such as these are really bothersome to me sometimes. I personally feel that most parents do what they feel is best for their children and their families. In my eyes most parents love their children and would never deserve to have someone call the authorities on them. Yes, my children ride in carseats however in Japan this is not the norm nor is the it the law. In fact, in Japan they don't have a lot of laws governing how a parent is to raise their child. Of course they also don't have the abuse issues here like in the states. I am sure we have all done things that would anger others and could get us turned into DCFS (like not vaxing, not taking our children to the doc at every little cold or fever, letting our children run around naked in our home or yard--and god forbid taking pics of them in this natural state, etc. . .). I will admit that if I saw a child on the highway in the back of a truck that was going very fast that this would probably be cause to report, however just seeing children unrestrained in the backseat of the car would not cause me to report. My mother has a favorite saying everytime I tell her things parents do these days, she says it is amazing how children in her generation and in my generation lived. I never was restrained in the backseat of the car, my brother and I would play for hours on the floor or sit on our knees and look out the back window.

It is not my place to tell another parent who is doing the best job they know how to raise their children! I am not a perfect parent and I cannot be the woman who causes a good parent to have her children taken away because they were not in a carseat for who knows how long (have you thought that perhaps it was only a few blocks, or maybe the child was using a portable potty on the floor during a long trip and was getting back into their seat, again etc. . .).:
post #23 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiLorelie View Post
You'd rather risk that they could get into an accident with an unrestrained child?
Just had to add this:

My co-worker (who is also a friend) is first generation American. She married into a family of legal immigrants who still for the most part stick to thier culture. They all thought she was nuts with all her "saftey and car seat sillyness" with her now 3 year old. Until she was in a pretty horrific car accident (not her fault) where she was t-boned at about 40 MPH. Her car was totalled and DD had to be removed with the Jaws of Life. DD was really scared (she was 2 at the time) but completely unscathed. Her entire family went out and bought or upgraded thier carseats and won't even drive down to the mailbox without thier kids strapped in.

My long drawn out point is...It only has to happen once. This could have been an incredible tragedy if she had listened to her family....Call the police, you could save a life.
post #24 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
: My mother has a favorite saying everytime I tell her things parents do these days, she says it is amazing how children in her generation and in my generation lived.

I cannot be the woman who causes a good parent to have her children taken away because they were not in a carseat for who knows how long (have you thought that perhaps it was only a few blocks, or maybe the child was using a portable potty on the floor during a long trip and was getting back into their seat, again etc. . .).:
For every person who says that we are too cautious, there is a parent who fought hard to get these laws enacted because they knew someone who died.

Most accidents occur within 20 miles of the home. There is a greater chance that they will be injured in that few-block trip than on the interstate.

In Indiana, it is a ticket. CPS is not called if it is only a child restraint infraction.
post #25 of 104
I skipped the police and directly called cps when I saw a pickup truck going down the highway with two adults in the back and an infant unrestrained on the adult's lap. But that was the only time. I've also called cps on parents beating their kids in public.
post #26 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by annab View Post
For every person who says that we are too cautious, there is a parent who fought hard to get these laws enacted because they knew someone who died.
I guess this same argument could be made for vaccinations as well or for well baby visits. What about the people who have DCFS called because they refuse certain medical treatments for their child and are eventually forced into doing it. As I said before, I honestly think for the most part parents love their children and do what they feel is best for them--unless a child is in dire danger (ie, riding in the back of a speeding truck or being beaten or neglected) who are we to judge?
post #27 of 104
In my state there is an 800 number you can call to report cars with children without carseats. You are supposed to give the make and model of the car, the license plate number, and the location in which the car was seen. I believe you just leave a message. The people you report don't get fined or investigated, but they get carseat safety info sent to them.

I don't like getting people in trouble, which is why I really like this option. In this state, people on aid programs can apply for and get free carseats, so there's no excuse to be driving around without them.

Try looking through the government pages in your phone book to see if there's anything like this where you're located. There's usually a general information number.
post #28 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam'sMom View Post
In my state there is an 800 number you can call to report cars with children without carseats. You are supposed to give the make and model of the car, the license plate number, and the location in which the car was seen. I believe you just leave a message. The people you report don't get fined or investigated, but they get carseat safety info sent to them.
Wow, this sounds like a great option. . .I wish all states in the US had this!
post #29 of 104
You don't have to be in a "speeding" car or truck or in the bed of a truck to be seriously injured and probably killed if you are riding unrestrained. Speed doesn't equate seriousness of injury. Being unrestrained, yeah, that will lead to your ejection from the vehicle. The distance you fly will depend on how fast you were going prior to the wreck and if a tree or utility pole gets in your way before gravity pulls you down, and smacks your head into the concrete. Yeah. Sign my kids up for that. :
Cite for me documented cases where CPS was called and an investigation done when someone's only offense was not restraining their kids in a car. I don't know about your area, but CPS here has MUCH better cases to attend to than an un-restrained child. Don't get me wrong. An unrestrained child is VERY serious. But these are 2 different entities. It would be like calling your doctor for a vehicles mechanical problems. That reasoning is ridiculous and lazy. Afraid of CPS for that ? Nah.

DC
post #30 of 104

Is it Just me or will CPS even do anything?

Sure in some cases they might. But it would take some time to trace the car and the address. Not a lot I'm sure, but do they have that authority or would they just send a "CYA" letter?

I'd call the police because they can give a ticket and it could be a relative driving the kid.

[Sorry, I posted about this elsewhere]There was an awful accident recenty a block from my house. I drive through that intersection at least twice a day. It's a supposedly "residential" street but that doesn't mean anything. Even the alleys are dangerous around here. My husband's colleague was in the accident. She was okay but she had to be cut out of her car. An unrestrained child would not have had a chance.
post #31 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
My mother has a favorite saying everytime I tell her things parents do these days, she says it is amazing how children in her generation and in my generation lived. I never was restrained in the backseat of the car, my brother and I would play for hours on the floor or sit on our knees and look out the back window.

Yes, YOU were fine...... but a lot of children have died as well, and they're not here to tell their side of the story. That argument is very biased and I hear it all the time. The reason carseat safety has changed over the years is because of those who have died while unrestrained.
post #32 of 104
CPS handles abusive and neglectful situations (among other things). The police handle moving violations in a vehicle (in addition to other law violations). Unrestrained children could technically fall under abuse or neglect, but CPS isn't the best first reponder. The police are. I don't understand the thought process behind the unsubstantiated fear that one would be unleashing CPS on someone if they were to call in an unrestrained child. :
The health and well being of the child is the most important. However in addition to saving their life, you would also likely be saving everyone money. The economic loss attributed to MVA's is astronomical.
post #33 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
: My mother has a favorite saying everytime I tell her things parents do these days, she says it is amazing how children in her generation and in my generation lived. I never was restrained in the backseat of the car, my brother and I would play for hours on the floor or sit on our knees and look out the back window. :
I too feel that is a weak argument. I likely was not restrained either as a child, but that does not make it "right". Just like my MIL who practically discouraged me from quitting smoking when I found out I was pregnant...ya know, cause she smoked with all five of her kids. Again - does that make it right - I dont think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
: It is not my place to tell another parent who is doing the best job they know how to raise their children! :
Really - not restraining an infant is the Best Job they know how. I disagree - I feel most know better, they choose not to do better in this situation.
post #34 of 104
Yep, my parents didn’t restrain me or my brother in “real” car seats either. There are pics of me in a car seat, but it was really just a cheap plastic thingy designed to keep me upright and raised so I could see out the window, not to protect me in a crash.

And the only reason we’re fine today is because we didn’t get into a car accident when we were in those things!! The line of reasoning that says “I did X with you and you’re fine” doesn’t work when the consequences of X were never tested out.
post #35 of 104
If I am in the position to talk with the parents first, I try that.
I have called the police, and will again if I need to.
post #36 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post
I'm not going to sic CPS on a family over a car seat.
Me neither.
post #37 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by annab View Post
If you see a person driving down the road with kids in the car who are young enough to be restrained, but aren't, do you call the police?

I have seen this several times in the last few weeks, and my first instinct is to act in the name of safety and call the cops. But I hate to be the crazy lady always calling the police when I see someone not using carseats.

Thoughts?
Yes, I do. I'll go ahead and be the crazy lady.: Hey, call me a whack job, but if my actions save even one kid, then it's absolutely worth it.
post #38 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
Cite for me documented cases where CPS was called and an investigation done when someone's only offense was not restraining their kids in a car. I don't know about your area, but CPS here has MUCH better cases to attend to than an un-restrained child. Don't get me wrong. An unrestrained child is VERY serious. But these are 2 different entities. It would be like calling your doctor for a vehicles mechanical problems. That reasoning is ridiculous and lazy. Afraid of CPS for that ? Nah.

DC
Perhaps in your area they have more important things to do. Here? They would "find" more things wrong or outright lie about it. You don't have to be guilty of anything to be afraid of CPS, but thats a different thread I suppose..

I would not call CPS if I saw it. I would, and have, stopped and talked to someone who had a child unrestrained and let them know of the law and how unsafe it was. If I saw something that really upset me, I might call police but never CPS. Usually that will result in either a warning with info, or a ticket and not a call to human services.
post #39 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
Perhaps in your area they have more important things to do. Here? They would "find" more things wrong or outright lie about it. You don't have to be guilty of anything to be afraid of CPS, but thats a different thread I suppose..
From some of the threads I have seen here, it appears as if some CPS offices are not on the up and up. I agree. My point was that CPS shouldn't be called at all on an unrestrained child. It isn't a CPS related offense. It falls under a violation of the motor vehicle operation statute. And your local law enforcement is responsible. Every state has a section or code that addresses what constitutes a violation of that code. So if there are some posters here that would call CPS in this situation, they are wrong. CPS would not have jurisdiction over that. If one is afraid of CPS because they are crooked, then you are right. That is definately a whole other thread.

DC
post #40 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
I guess this same argument could be made for vaccinations as well or for well baby visits. What about the people who have DCFS called because they refuse certain medical treatments for their child and are eventually forced into doing it. As I said before, I honestly think for the most part parents love their children and do what they feel is best for them--unless a child is in dire danger (ie, riding in the back of a speeding truck or being beaten or neglected) who are we to judge?
Not taking a healthy thriving child to the doctor is TOTALLY different from not putting a healthy thriving child in a carseat when they are going to ride ina moving vehicle because if that moving vehicle crashes suddenly that healthy child is going to continue moving 65 MPH and be ejected from the vehicle. Doctors are for sick people. The same logic doesn't go for carseats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › When does one call the police on carseat issues?