or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Curious
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Curious - Page 7

post #121 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
You made it sound like they were currently using drugs, which would make you an accessory to the misuse of Section 8. The fact remains that in order to use Section 8, you cannot be using alcohol or drugs. Posters have implied that all families living in poverty are drug abusing alcoholics, and I am pointing out the facts that the government has already put laws and regulations in place to keep drug users/alcoholics from utilyzing Section 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
No, they could if they can afford to, but with most families there is no money left over. It took me five months and not paying the full telephone bill just to buy a $6 hairbrush.
I understand your situation with the hairbrush.

I guess I was confused by the wording of your first post that I quoted. I thought you meant that persons on section 8 were not *supposed* to drink alcohol. Because we know that persons on section 8 are not *supposed* to use illegal substances. So, it is indeed, not a fact that a "In order to use section 8, you cannot be using alcohol or drugs."

It is a fact that in order to use section 8, you are not supposed to use drugs. But you can drink.
post #122 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
I understand your situation with the hairbrush.

I guess I was confused by the wording of your first post that I quoted. I thought you meant that persons on section 8 were not *supposed* to drink alcohol. Because we know that persons on section 8 are not *supposed* to use illegal substances. So, it is indeed, not a fact that a "In order to use section 8, you cannot be using alcohol or drugs."

It is a fact that in order to use section 8, you are not supposed to use drugs. But you can drink.
But if you have ahistory of DUI's or alcohol sunstance abuse, they are more likely to dismiss your application.

It is not easy to get accepted when you apply, so, this whole idea that drug abusers and alcoholics are on Section 8 is just absurd. That is all I was pointing out. Married couples are even less likely to get Section 8, so, the idea that they would not know what a husband was up to, is also ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primjillie
The husband is still using drugs - I don't know why you don't believe me when you don't even know these people! Section 8 probably doesn't know he is doing drugs and maybe that is why they are getting away with it.
So, you are an accessory to the misuse! If you know about it, why are you allowing it to continue? Meanwhile some family who is not using drugs is sitting in a homeless shelter waiting for an opening.
post #123 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
They can, they most likely would not. That is the point. It's okay to harrass ppl in poverty, to belittle them and shame them. When realistically, it is those with money who are able to make choices regarding alcohol/drug use.

Ppl in poverty don't have the money nor the means to purchase drugs/alcohol.
Everyone has a choice to make decisions about drug and alcohol abuse, whether they have money or not. I think that is a complete lie about people in poverty not being able to buy drugs and alcohol, they can -- they may not necessarily even use money but goods or their body as a trade or they steal. The man who killed my brother was POOR, he was also a DRUG ADDICT, and he stole $152 from my brother for DRUGS. So yes, poor people do have the means to buy drugs. I am not sure what put this fallacy into your head that only those with money were the ones able to buy drugs and alcohol.
post #124 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
You made it sound like they were currently using drugs, which would make you an accessory to the misuse of Section 8. The fact remains that in order to use Section 8, you cannot be using alcohol or drugs. Posters have implied that all families living in poverty are drug abusing alcoholics, and I am pointing out the facts that the government has already put laws and regulations in place to keep drug users/alcoholics from utilyzing Section 8.
Do you think people who have section 8 housing dont continue to use? Well let me tell you, past behavior predicts future behavior. I would like someone to explain to me why in my small city why the neighborhoods with the majority of govt housing have a lot of crime and drug problems, and are able to live there???

NO ONE HAS IMPLIED THAT ALL FAMILIES IN POVERTY ARE DRUG USERS OR CRIMINALS. I have lived in poverty and was neither a criminal or a drug user. However statistically in areas of poor socio-economic class there is a higher rate of drug abuse, alcohol abuse and crime.
And just because there are laws and regulations doesnt mean it doesnt go on. I assure you it does!
post #125 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Everyone has a choice to make decisions about drug and alcohol abuse, whether they have money or not. I think that is a complete lie about people in poverty not being able to buy drugs and alcohol, they can -- they may not necessarily even use money but goods or their body as a trade or they steal. The man who killed my brother was POOR, he was also a DRUG ADDICT, and he stole $152 from my brother for DRUGS. So yes, poor people do have the means to buy drugs. I am not sure what put this fallacy into your head that only those with money were the ones able to buy drugs and alcohol.

Yup. People who are poor do have ways to get mind-altering substances. In my past life (age 18-20), I was really poor. I think I made about $4000 in one entire year. I bought drugs. I bought alcohol. I admit it, I routinely bought them both. As a matter of fact, the odds are pretty dang high that I had MJ at any given time in, *get this*, my section 8 apartment.

It is a fallacy that only those with money purchase drugs and alcohol. It happens.
post #126 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
It is not easy to get accepted when you apply, so, this whole idea that drug abusers and alcoholics are on Section 8 is just absurd. That is all I was pointing out. Married couples are even less likely to get Section 8, so, the idea that they would not know what a husband was up to, is also ridiculous.
A lot of women in SEct8 housing do not marry, they do this so they can get the housing, also to get food stamps, welfare and other goct needs. There is often a baby's daddy in the picture or a boy friend that stays there. I actually know women who do this. They applied for the housing, they are unmarried but their gangster boyfriend or "partner" lives with them. This is a common problem through out the US and one of the problems that is widely discussed when it comes to welfare and abuse of govt funds for the poor.
post #127 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
However statistically in areas of poor socio-economic class there is a higher rate of drug abuse, alcohol abuse and crime.
No. There are rates of convictions. Do the police pull everyone over on your block? I bet not. But if they did, I am sure they would find drugs, drunk drivers, etc.
post #128 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
A lot of women in SEct8 housing do not marry, they do this so they can get the housing, also to get food stamps, welfare and other goct needs. There is often a baby's daddy in the picture or a boy friend that stays there. I actually know women who do this. They applied for the housing, they are unmarried but their gangster boyfriend or "partner" lives with them. This is a common problem through out the US and one of the problems that is widely discussed when it comes to welfare and abuse of govt funds for the poor.
You are so full of stereotypes, it is disgusting. :
post #129 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
Yup. People who are poor do have ways to get mind-altering substances. In my past life (age 18-20), I was really poor. I think I made about $4000 in one entire year. I bought drugs. I bought alcohol. I admit it, I routinely bought them both. As a matter of fact, the odds are pretty dang high that I had MJ at any given time in, *get this*, my section 8 apartment.

It is a fallacy that only those with money purchase drugs and alcohol. It happens.
If you had no children, how did you get Section 8 housing? Just curious. Also, if you had children, why would you choose to use drugs?
post #130 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
They applied for the housing, they are unmarried but their gangster boyfriend or "partner" lives with them.
C'mon now....why does the boyfriend have to be a gangster? I do not understand why partner was put in quotations? I do not understand why that was necessary to make your point. I felt as though it was somewhat judgmental. I think that people need to be careful of how they label others.

How was that for using I statements.............?

That's all.
post #131 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
This is a common problem through out the US and one of the problems that is widely discussed when it comes to welfare and abuse of govt funds for the poor.
http://www.affordablehousingonline.c...on8housing.asp
Quote:
The Section 8 program has historically been oversubscribed and waiting lists can run into the years. In fact, many housing authorities frequently close their waiting lists and stop accepting applications because the waiting lists are so long.
You go on and on about crime and drugs and such and haven't said anything about the millions of families who are homeless.
post #132 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
If you had no children, how did you get Section 8 housing? Just curious. Also, if you had children, why would you choose to use drugs?
I did not have any children. I am not sure, in Indiana, that persons on section 8 need to have dependents. Actually, I know having children is not a requirement b/c I got section 8 and did not have any children.

If one must have children in order to qualify for section 8 in Minnestoa, the only thing I can say is that Indiana has different rules.
post #133 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
A lot of women in SEct8 housing do not marry, they do this so they can get the housing, also to get food stamps, welfare and other goct needs. There is often a baby's daddy in the picture or a boy friend that stays there. I actually know women who do this. They applied for the housing, they are unmarried but their gangster boyfriend or "partner" lives with them. This is a common problem through out the US and one of the problems that is widely discussed when it comes to welfare and abuse of govt funds for the poor.
Why should the poor be the only ones penalized? Look at the SSI marraige penalty and then tell me why you think so many people remain unmarried..
post #134 of 221
Or maybe, the mother just doesn't want to marry a "gangster" man and it has absolutely nothing to do with getting Sec 8.
Not to mention statisically, there are not too many rich/well-off women to "get with" those gangsta boys in the first place.
post #135 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
No. There are rates of convictions. Do the police pull everyone over on your block? I bet not. But if they did, I am sure they would find drugs, drunk drivers, etc.
No you are wrong.(there are a good bit of resources to support this, a simple college Sociology class for one) There is more violent crimes among poor socio-economic classes, drug related crimes, prostitution, drug related crimes and so on. I am pretty sure that my neighbors are not crack heads or dealers so there is no need to for the police to come in the neighborhood, but they are welcome too. One because my neighbors are not just people I live next door too, but we are all friends and have similar values. Sure people around us would probably have driven drunk, some caught, some not but the last I checked none of our neighbors were involved in murder, sex crimes (yes I check!), robbery, and so on. I am sure there are a few of the baby boomers still smoking their weed, and we have some teens that probably have done far worse than that. But I feel pretty good about not thinking the special ed teacher next door, or the retired couple or the orthodox jews are smoking crack, selling meth or doing X. Maybe ole Mrs. Jones is hooked on pain killers from that tumble she had last year that broke her hip and three bones in her arm -- but for some reason I doubt she is a safety hazard to my children since she doesnt drive or own a gun.
post #136 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
You are so full of stereotypes, it is disgusting. :
I am statistically correct. Can you prove me wrong? No.
The majority of families who apply for Section 8 housing, get vouchers for RENT, are unmarried single females.
post #137 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
If you had no children, how did you get Section 8 housing? Just curious. Also, if you had children, why would you choose to use drugs?
:
post #138 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
C'mon now....why does the boyfriend have to be a gangster? I do not understand why partner was put in quotations? I do not understand why that was necessary to make your point. I felt as though it was somewhat judgmental. I think that people need to be careful of how they label others.

How was that for using I statements.............?

That's all.
The reason I put "partner" in parenthesis is because they put on their applications they are not married, yet they live with someone as if they are. Thats not judgemental, thats just a fact. I could care less if they are married or not.
post #139 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
http://www.affordablehousingonline.c...on8housing.asp

You go on and on about crime and drugs and such and haven't said anything about the millions of families who are homeless.
Yes, there are families that are homeless. I believe some families place theirselves based on choices they have made, some chose to actually be homeless, and some it is just poor luck or no fault of their own.

I also wanted to comment on something, I do not believe their are millions of families that are homeless. For one, since 1989 the numbe of homeless families has DECREASED. Their is a greater amount of HUD resources available to homes than ever before that not only provide rent assistance but also funding to purchase small homes, in the city and in rural areas. In the last decade more HUD housing and govt funded neighborhoods have been built and more than 20% of all apartments in the USA have some sort of rent control that is completely seperate from section 8.
post #140 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
Why should the poor be the only ones penalized? Look at the SSI marraige penalty and then tell me why you think so many people remain unmarried..
I dont care if they are married or not. However MITB insists the govt knows all about who is living in the section 8 homes -- I say no way in hades, because many women apply without including their partner, or their income, on the application.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Curious