or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Help with Molluscum contagiosum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with Molluscum contagiosum - Page 3

post #41 of 268
Thread Starter 
I just got some Chaparal super salve from my homeopathic dr. and I bet this would work for MC. I haven't asked him but could if anyone's interrested. He swears by it and says it works for l o t 's of things from sunburn, warts to toenail fungus!! It is reasonably priced and I would be glad to mail it to any mamas that want to try it. It is $9.00 and then what ever postage? Label says ingredients are: Arnica Mountana, Chaparal, Comfrey, Goldenseal, Tea tree oil, Olive oil, Beeswax, and vitamin E. He claims he can't keep enough of it in that there are just so many uses for it! Good luck mama's and feel free to message me if interested. We would try it but luckly my little boy is leision free now!! and hopefully everyone else will be soon!!
post #42 of 268
We ended up going to the dermatologist...it took all of about 2 minutes for her to cut off my ds's 4 lesions...and then it took about 3 minutes to cut off almost all of my dd's (she had closer to 15..and getting more everyday). The doctor had us come back 2 weeks later to get the 3 on her eyelids..she didn't want to do too much in one day I don't think. She kind of snipped them off with this little tool...I don't know what it was even...looked like sharp tweezers?

We went back and it took about 2 minutes more to get the eyelid ones.

She did not use any anesthetic..and it was really not needed.

Now, several weeks later they are both lesion free and it is SO SO wonderful.

My dd has one small spot from where the biggest one was...but it is fading. The rest of them do not appear to have left any scaring.

If I had known it was that easy..I would have taken her in immediately and avoided her getting 12 more than she had at first..and my ds getting them at all.

We did try a lot of natural stuff and diet change..but it just didn't work for my dd....and they were spreading on her rapidly.

It feels so freeing to be without them!
post #43 of 268

Molluscum recurrance anyone?

My DD had this when she was 8 months old. Tried all kinds of natural topicals. Not sure if any actually worked. By 20 months they all went away leaving little scars in their place. Now 27 months and we recently saw what look like the return of molluscum. Does anyone else have any experience of recurrance? Please advise? Many thanks...
post #44 of 268
my kidlets never got these when we lived near the beach, sun and salt....
just now that we are in rain country.
i don't know if that means anything though...maybe they just can't live if you are in the sun and saltwater a lot?
post #45 of 268
I have been having my son go topless in the sun with no sunscreen on the bumps for a little while each day. I have been putting sea salt in his bath and he went in the ocean the other day. Brr!The zymaderm seems to be working although it is very labor intensive. You are supposed to drip the liquid onto each bump without actually touching the bump. Good luck with a two year old! I have to bribe him with promises of a tofutti cutie or a smoothie pop. Once I get rid of the molluscum I'll be looking for a forum discussing ways to get him off the sugar!:

: :
post #46 of 268

mc

My experience would steer you away from any baths and especially warm or hot baths. The sun is good, the ocean and/or pools are ok. The warm bath water opens the pores and spreads the MC. Keep the MC clean and dry at all times. Also it is important to be careful with towels. I suggest to blot dry the areas of MC with one towel and use another for non-infected areas.
post #47 of 268
Our dermatologist told us not to give the kids baths together while they had it..that it caused it to spread.

However, she did tell me that my son was more likely to catch from his sister because he has really dry skin...and to put lotion on it daily...I never did because he HATES lotion..but he also only had a few.

No idea if this is true or not, but I thought I would put it out there. It seems a bit opposite to me though...like it would be better if they were dry. I dunno.
post #48 of 268
Bummer. I have, of course, been giving him a warm water bath. Maybe that is why the MC has spread. It is now sweltering hot in the northeast so I think a switch to cool showers is in order. It's hard to say if the zymaderm is working. Some bumps have cleared up, some new ones have appeared. They are really stressing me out! I let the bumps see some sun each day but then I make my son put on a shirt because I do not want them to spread. What's a girl to do!?:

: :
post #49 of 268
Here is a link about homeopathic treatment for skin diseases like molluscum. The advantage is that it corrects the systemic imbalance which allowed the skin disease to occur in the first place.

http://www.homeoconsult.com/cntnt/ai...ts_corns.shtml

The important thing to remember if you want to use homeopathy is that the remedy must fit the entire symptom picture. You can't just take something like Thuja and hope it will work because it cures some types of skin disorders.

That's why a consultation with a homeopath is really the only way to use homeopathy and have it work well, especially for a chronic infection like MC.
post #50 of 268
Thanks. I'll check it out!
post #51 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermuma View Post
We ended up going to the dermatologist...it took all of about 2 minutes for her to cut off my ds's 4 lesions...and then it took about 3 minutes to cut off almost all of my dd's (she had closer to 15..and getting more everyday). The doctor had us come back 2 weeks later to get the 3 on her eyelids..she didn't want to do too much in one day I don't think. She kind of snipped them off with this little tool...I don't know what it was even...looked like sharp tweezers?

We went back and it took about 2 minutes more to get the eyelid ones.

She did not use any anesthetic..and it was really not needed.

Now, several weeks later they are both lesion free and it is SO SO wonderful.

My dd has one small spot from where the biggest one was...but it is fading. The rest of them do not appear to have left any scaring.

If I had known it was that easy..I would have taken her in immediately and avoided her getting 12 more than she had at first..and my ds getting them at all.

We did try a lot of natural stuff and diet change..but it just didn't work for my dd....and they were spreading on her rapidly.

It feels so freeing to be without them!
Just wanted to say that it is not so for everyone. My dd1 had MC when she was about 2 and a half and we removed them and they came back, exactly on the same spots. In fact, I really regret we touched them because it made them spread faster. With dd2 we did not touch them and eventually they went away but it still did take one and a half year. They still have scars... both of them.... although the scars are really small and not in "visible" areas...
post #52 of 268
One month later and my ds still has the bumps. Not a ton but annoying just the same. They often look irritated after he has gone swimming because he stays in the water so long so we have been doing less of that, only when it's real hot or a special occasion. I'm taking a break from the Zymaderm, it didn't seem to work. Mostly the treatments just upset him (he's 2) and my husband who thinks I should just leave them be. I just want to clear them before they spread or someone else catches them. So far they are only under his arms and on his trunk where his arms rub. Apple cider and a band aid worked to clear a couple that were ready to pop. To keep our sanity I am currently only treating one area on each side and instead focusing on potty learning. :

:
post #53 of 268
4 months after having the dermatologist freeze them off, ds is still absolutely free of any sign of MC. They disappeared, pain-free, no scarring, nothing. I am so glad we took that route.
post #54 of 268
Thread Starter 

mc

A couple of posters mentioned about the pool and I wanted to comment that our dr. said that -that is most likely where my son got them from. Anyone who has had them care to comment if they were exposed to public pools! Because if someone who has it goes into a public pool and one is about to pop or ooze then that floats and spreds to others. Just as they don't want you sharing towels and bloating to dry is because the waxy core is soooo contagious! That's why we opted to pop with a sterile pin and careful to lift it without touching other areas of his body. Well that did the trick no more all gone. We surely pray for no reacurrences as other posters. I am so sorry mama's that you have to do round 2 or some maybe more. Hugs mamas!
post #55 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaialice View Post
Just wanted to say that it is not so for everyone. My dd1 had MC when she was about 2 and a half and we removed them and they came back, exactly on the same spots. In fact, I really regret we touched them because it made them spread faster. With dd2 we did not touch them and eventually they went away but it still did take one and a half year. They still have scars... both of them.... although the scars are really small and not in "visible" areas...
i am sorry this happened to you!

So far they have not come back..but I watch for them constantly and the dermatologist did say it was possible that we may get a few more. So far so good though and the scars seem to be all gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
A couple of posters mentioned about the pool and I wanted to comment that our dr. said that -that is most likely where my son got them from. Anyone who has had them care to comment if they were exposed to public pools! Because if someone who has it goes into a public pool and one is about to pop or ooze then that floats and spreds to others. Just as they don't want you sharing towels and bloating to dry is because the waxy core is soooo contagious! That's why we opted to pop with a sterile pin and careful to lift it without touching other areas of his body. Well that did the trick no more all gone. We surely pray for no reacurrences as other posters. I am so sorry mama's that you have to do round 2 or some maybe more. Hugs mamas!

My dd caught these sometime during the summer fof '06..while she was in daycamp and going to the public pool weekly with camp. I can not say that it came from the pool..but she was exposed to the public pool during the time period she also got the mc.
post #56 of 268
My ds is a competitive swimmer, so he is in pools an average of 8-12 hours per week! (More in the summer when he is also swimming just for fun). I guess it's amazing that he made it to the ripe old age of 9 before getting it!
post #57 of 268
We did swim in public pools when he developed them.

We are going on a year and no reoccurrence. I'd also like to add that we tried almost everything natural under the sun. We spent almost a year trying to get rid of them with any and all natural products, or just habit changes. Nothing worked. We did homeopathy, herbs, natural salves and balms, etc... so if they're still hanging on after you try natural things, don't feel guilty!

Recently, one of my best friends' sons had two of them pop up. Thanks to our experience, she was able to immediately identify them, she took them to a derm and the derm lanced them and then put antibiotic ointment on them and there was no spreading.
post #58 of 268
There have been many threads on this. DO NOT POP THEM!!! DO NOT FREEZE THEM! I say this because our dermatologist said this is not the correct course of action. I realize that others have had different experiences.

Find a good pediatric dermatologist. Our son had these and we insisted on the dermatology recommendation. Extract of Blister Beetle was used. It is painful. It will cause some blisters on the skin. But it keeps them from spreading and reocurring. It requires several treatments. I look at this this way. He got rid of them. He has had none come back.
post #59 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlee View Post
There have been many threads on this. DO NOT POP THEM!!! DO NOT FREEZE THEM! I say this because our dermatologist said this is not the correct course of action. I realize that others have had different experiences.

Find a good pediatric dermatologist. Our son had these and we insisted on the dermatology recommendation. Extract of Blister Beetle was used. It is painful. It will cause some blisters on the skin. But it keeps them from spreading and reocurring. It requires several treatments. I look at this this way. He got rid of them. He has had none come back.
Our ped. dermatologist said just the opposite (about the freezing, not the poppin), and the freezing was quick, painless and effective. I guess you just need to find a derm. that you know and trust and go with what is recommended.
post #60 of 268
My ODD and I had it for a while. For myself, they went away after some tea tree oil and also changing overall to better lifestyle (I found them when I was having ALOT of stress and just overall having a crappy life)

for DD they just went away. The ped said I could leave them alone. I did cover them with silk tape, it irritated the area, caused some imflammation and then they were just gone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Help with Molluscum contagiosum