or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › breastfeeding symbol contest..want to discuss??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

breastfeeding symbol contest..want to discuss?? - Page 2

post #21 of 120
i didn't like #1 at all, and I chose #3.
post #22 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
I suspect the polling is being run by DiBold, or Gov. Blackwell.
me too!
post #23 of 120
To be honest I like them all. I think maybe #1 is leading in the votes because it looks more like a standard universal symbol, similar to other symbols like the line-man and the line-woman on restroom doors. I think #2 is beautiful, but not standard-symbolly (hey, a new word!) enough -- a bit too artistic if that's possible! I really like #3 and that’s the one I voted for. It hits the right balance for me between being really attractive and also very clear on what it is, a woman breastfeeding a child.

Won’t it be cool to actually see the new symbol in places like airports and stuff, and know we had a hand in it? I can’t wait!!
post #24 of 120
I think they all look very "Westernized" - the only one that doesn't is #2 - which I voted for.
post #25 of 120
I voted for # 2. when I voted before there were more choices and mine isn't in the top 3. I really just wish there was one with an actual breast as a BREASTfeeding symbol in the top 3 though,yk?
post #26 of 120
I voted for #2 because it's clearly shows a woman breastfeeding a child. The other two symbols are definitely open to interpretation.
post #27 of 120
I voted #3.
post #28 of 120
I liked #2 from the beginning. It got the most votes in the preliminary round. To me, it most clearly said "nursing."

But if you look at the number of votes, it is really close right now b/w all 3. There have only been a little over 2000 votes cast so far. Considering that the prelims had over 20,000 votes, any one of those icons could take off.
post #29 of 120
nak

didnt read all the responses....but,

i voted for #1. it was a real toss up though, between 1 and 2. 3 was out because the figure looks like it is just holding the baby. number 2 was the best, you could see the breast and it's appealing, but like a pp said, its kinda not in synch with other standard symbols and more arsty/hippy looking. which i personally like but may not be the best universal symbol.

i chose 1 because while at first glance it was general and clinical, it DOES show a breast (a triangle protrusion where the childs head is) and the child is nursing in a non-typical front facing/side view position, which made it an interesting composition.

so while dull initially, i really appreciated that it did have the breast, and would blend well with other symbols currently being used in facilities.
post #30 of 120
I went with #2
post #31 of 120
So is anyone alarmed that only one person in this thread voted for #1?
post #32 of 120
I was also surprised that #1 is winning, and by soo much it doesn't even look like the baby is breastfeeding.

I did have a hard time choosing between #2 and #3 though but went with 2 since it was the different one and stood out to me the most.
post #33 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I was also surprised that #1 is winning, and by soo much it doesn't even look like the baby is breastfeeding.

I did have a hard time choosing between #2 and #3 though but went with 2 since it was the different one and stood out to me the most.
Same here!
post #34 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel View Post
nak

didnt read all the responses....but,

i voted for #1. it was a real toss up though, between 1 and 2. 3 was out because the figure looks like it is just holding the baby. number 2 was the best, you could see the breast and it's appealing, but like a pp said, its kinda not in synch with other standard symbols and more arsty/hippy looking. which i personally like but may not be the best universal symbol.

i chose 1 because while at first glance it was general and clinical, it DOES show a breast (a triangle protrusion where the childs head is) and the child is nursing in a non-typical front facing/side view position, which made it an interesting composition.

so while dull initially, i really appreciated that it did have the breast, and would blend well with other symbols currently being used in facilities.
thats suppose to be a breast?? I don't think a symbol should be something you have to 'study' to see what it is ya know? just don't like it.
post #35 of 120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
So is anyone alarmed that only one person in this thread voted for #1?
yes. hopefully the voting will change the results.
post #36 of 120
Honestly, I really hope that #2 doesn't win. #2 is beautiful, but is just so different from other existing symbols. I think #3 or even #1 has a much better chance of being understood and accepted as a universal standard. Plus, #2 can't be done as a simple cutout. Sometimes signs are just the shape cut out of some material, they aren't really going for nuances in manufacturing.
post #37 of 120
i love 2 was surprised about 1
post #38 of 120
Another vote for #3.
post #39 of 120
Add me to the list of those who DON'T want #2 to win. While it's MY favorite, artsy, hippie, detailed, etc. It'll completely kill the usefullness/longevity of the icon in the mainstream.

I just don't see it getting used at all, and while I would love an icon that spoke to me personally, I would rather it speak to the culture at large, since, you know, I am weird anyway...lol:
post #40 of 120
I really wanted to enter this symbol contest but didn't get round to it! I voted for #2 cos I like it, you can see the breast and it's not as boring as the usual sign's you get. #3 is good and fits in well with other symbols but doesn't show part of the breast which I reckon it should to clarify that it is a bf symbol and not just a cuddle symbol and then it would have got my vote cos fewer lines and clear. Yes #2 is a bit involved line-wise for a sign imo, #1 is interesting but I think too abstract for most people as I can see plenty people not even recognizing what it implies, am also surprised at the present leader of this contest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › breastfeeding symbol contest..want to discuss??