or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Don't cops have anything better to do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don't cops have anything better to do? - Page 9

post #161 of 205
Another thing to keep in mind, local speedtraps are often known as speed traps BECAUSE of numerous accidents or numerous complaints in that area--setting up a speed trap repeatedly in an area where people don't do illegal things is a waste of time. Checking on the safety of a child is NEVER a waste of time.
post #162 of 205
Yup, my problem with the proliferation of seatbelt and restraint laws is that they provide probable cause to pull over anyone you want to. Which, IMHO, is unamerican. Car restraints cut non-fatal injuries, not fatalities in children. When they were first passed in my state, they were not probable cause to pull someone over. They were a "secondary" offense, which the officer could cite if s/he pulled over a driver for probable cause. Then they changed the laws....
post #163 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
ok, instead of only quoting part of the post, if you feel that he only stopped your dh for discrimating reasons, do something about it, file a complaint. Fact is though, you don't KNOW.
Honestly, in an old pickup that's beat all to shit, if he was only pulling your husband to meet a quota, he probably would have found a reason to write a ticket....cops looking to meet a quota don't pull someone over and not write a ticket, that sort of defeats the whole "pull em over to meet the quota" thing--especially if it's so hard to fight a ticket in your area. If he really wanted that, he'd have written the ticket and made you come to court to prove that your dd was over weight and over age laws (unless I missed where he had a scale in his cruiser)

Sorry, yes, I work with cops but I also know LOTS of lousy ones and if he pulled your dh to meet a quota, he'd have been able to think up a reason to write a ticket--even if it was a ticket he knew damn well would have been thrown out in court.

ITA. I volunteer patrol with local law enforcement and the above is pretty accurate. Most "quota" programs have been dissolved and done away with and actually in some departments, never existed to begin with.

DC
post #164 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Arrggg, for the fourth+ time, I don't believe for a SECOND he had the best interest of my dd at heart. He was looking to make a ticket quote and drum up more revenue for his city.

Cops around here are always doing stupid crap and getting away with it. Often it cost people their lives. No one in charge seems to care.
Then you need to start complaining, and so does everyone else who feels the same as you. I'd call the local news about it then. I'd also start calling my reps and blow a rod about my tax dollars being wasted too. If you really feel it's total BS, you need to do something.
post #165 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind, local speedtraps are often known as speed traps BECAUSE of numerous accidents or numerous complaints in that area--setting up a speed trap repeatedly in an area where people don't do illegal things is a waste of time. Checking on the safety of a child is NEVER a waste of time.
The speed trap is at the county line. Yes, people speed. The limit is so rediculously low in this state, in many areas that people are always going at least 5 mph over the speed limit. So it is not because of accidents or complaints but becuase they know they WILL catch people going over 55mph on the highway.

And dh didn't get a ticket because he WASN'T DOING ANYTHING WRONG. There is no law against a dented up truck. We HAVE car insurance (which is what a pp suggested they were looking for.) The registration IS current. There was NOTHING to write a ticket for.

And since Dh did not get a name or badge number filing a complaint wouldn't do any good.
post #166 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Yup, my problem with the proliferation of seatbelt and restraint laws is that they provide probable cause to pull over anyone you want to. Which, IMHO, is unamerican. Car restraints cut non-fatal injuries, not fatalities in children. When they were first passed in my state, they were not probable cause to pull someone over. They were a "secondary" offense, which the officer could cite if s/he pulled over a driver for probable cause. Then they changed the laws....

Can you point to ANY evidence that car seats do NOT reduce fatalities in accidents??? Having myself "bagged" a few children who DIED after minor accidents that they MOST CERTAINLY would have survived had they been appropriately restrained, I find this comment to be really, REALLY out there.

I do agree with you on one thing though, the basic protection of children does tend to be a very "unamerican" concept.
post #167 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
Sorry, yes, I work with cops but I also know LOTS of lousy ones and if he pulled your dh to meet a quota, he'd have been able to think up a reason to write a ticket--even if it was a ticket he knew damn well would have been thrown out in court.
That is a very good point.
post #168 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post

And since Dh did not get a name or badge number filing a complaint wouldn't do any good.
Not necessarily true. Have you got the date, approximate location and time of the stop? Then you can report it. Law enforcement keeps detailed records on EVERYTHING. And as I mentioned before, your DH's entire stop was probably recorded. In addition, before he even got out of his patrol car the officer already called your tags in and if he hadn't already known your DH's record was clear (not wanted, car not stolen, etc.) by the time he got to your car, he likely found out while talking to your DH via dispatch. It is part of SOP.

DC
post #169 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
And since Dh did not get a name or badge number filing a complaint wouldn't do any good.
No, if he calls in and tells them the location of the stop, the day and the time, they should easily be able to find out who that was. Cops don't just drift wherever they feel like it with no one knowing their whereabouts for 8 hours.
post #170 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
The speed trap is at the county line. Yes, people speed. The limit is so rediculously low in this state, in many areas that people are always going at least 5 mph over the speed limit. So it is not because of accidents or complaints but becuase they know they WILL catch people going over 55mph on the highway.

And dh didn't get a ticket because he WASN'T DOING ANYTHING WRONG. There is no law against a dented up truck. We HAVE car insurance (which is what a pp suggested they were looking for.) The registration IS current. There was NOTHING to write a ticket for.

And since Dh did not get a name or badge number filing a complaint wouldn't do any good.
COMPLETELY and totally UNTRUE. That ENTIRE stop was recorded before that officer EVER got out of his cruiser. All you need to file a complaint is the time of the stop (even approximate is totally fine, actually you don't even need THAT) and your dh's licence plate. That is ALL you need.
Frankly, if it's a GIVEN that they WILL catch people speeding there and he was trying to meet quotas, why the hell would he have wasted his time with a pull that wasn't a "sure ticket" often at locations like this, they don't even pull unless it's a "sure court case". A cop meeting quotas doesn't waste his time pulling someone that wasn't doing something wrong. That said, a cop that saw a kid die last week, most definitely would have wasted his time with a stop that wasn't a "sure ticket"
post #171 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
Can you point to ANY evidence that car seats do NOT reduce fatalities in accidents??? Having myself "bagged" a few children who DIED after minor accidents that they MOST CERTAINLY would have survived had they been appropriately restrained, I find this comment to be really, REALLY out there.

I do agree with you on one thing though, the basic protection of children does tend to be a very "unamerican" concept.
I don't disagree for the need of car seats for younger children. I was rearended by a semi with my two year old in the car. (Ironically the same DD that is in question now.) While I spent months going to the chiro for whiplash, DD was fine. Which of course the chiro said was because of her car seat.

This whole complaint was about being pulled over even though we WERE complying with the law. I think this poster (the one you quoted) was complaining about cops being able use restraint laws as an excuse to pull people over simply so they can SEE if they are breaking other laws when in reality they have no real reason to pull them over in the first place. (did that make sense?)
post #172 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
COMPLETELY and totally UNTRUE.
Huh? What is completely and totally untrue?
post #173 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post

And since Dh did not get a name or badge number filing a complaint wouldn't do any good.

I think Shannon's post was specifically refering to this comment.

DC
post #174 of 205
OK seriously, WTF kind of game are you playing with only quoting the bits of a post that suit you??? Had you read BEYOND those first words it would have been MORE than a little obvious that what was "COMPLETELY and totally UNTRUE." was that a complaint couldnt' be made because your dh didn't get a badge number and a name.
Give me a break.
post #175 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
OK seriously, WTF kind of game are you playing with only quoting the bits of a post that suit you??? Had you read BEYOND those first words it would have been MORE than a little obvious that what was "COMPLETELY and totally UNTRUE." was that a complaint couldnt' be made because your dh didn't get a badge number and a name.
Give me a break.
Well apparently I am stupid because it was NOT obvious to me.

And I am not playing ANY kind of game. I only quote the part of a post that "suits me" because quoting the ENTIRE post only adds confusion when you are only addressing ONE point of a post. Why quote parts that are irrelevant?
post #176 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I don't disagree for the need of car seats for younger children. I was rearended by a semi with my two year old in the car. (Ironically the same DD that is in question now.) While I spent months going to the chiro for whiplash, DD was fine. Which of course the chiro said was because of her car seat.

This whole complaint was about being pulled over even though we WERE complying with the law. I think this poster (the one you quoted) was complaining about cops being able use restraint laws as an excuse to pull people over simply so they can SEE if they are breaking other laws when in reality they have no real reason to pull them over in the first place. (did that make sense?)
No, this poster specifically said that carseats and boosters only reduce NON fatal injuries and frankly, that is completely untrue. Using restraint laws as an excuse to pull people over is a huge waste of police time--even if you figure that police are all out looking to meet a quota. If that's their "cause" I can guarentee you that they picked a cause where they would be able to write the fewest tickets possible--especially righteous tickets.

How about considering this. Maybe that officer has recently been called to an accident where a child close to YOUR child's age has died. Maybe while at that accident where he noticed that everyone else in the car had survived with minor injuries he realized that the child he had to stand over and wait for the coroner to "pronounce" probably would have lived had she been properly restrained. Maybe, just maybe, your dd had the same colour hair, or the same length or whatever and maybe that caused a flashback for him that made him feel the need to check on your daughter. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, he wasnt' an asswhole afterall, maybe he was a father who'd seen a child die and it was eating him up inside. Maybe.
post #177 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Well apparently I am stupid because it was NOT obvious to me.

And I am not playing ANY kind of game. I only quote the part of a post that "suits me" because quoting the ENTIRE post only adds confusion when you are only addressing ONE point of a post. Why quote parts that are irrelevant?
Well gee, I don't know, how bout because if you read beyond that first sentence the second sentence answered the question you were addressing???
post #178 of 205
Wow, a person was looking out for your daughter's safety and all you can do is complain about it. Seems very odd to me. Last time I checked being late to school wasn't life threatening, being improperly restrained however, that's another story.
post #179 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
How about considering this. Maybe that officer has recently been called to an accident where a child close to YOUR child's age has died. Maybe while at that accident where he noticed that everyone else in the car had survived with minor injuries he realized that the child he had to stand over and wait for the coroner to "pronounce" probably would have lived had she been properly restrained. Maybe, just maybe, your dd had the same colour hair, or the same length or whatever and maybe that caused a flashback for him that made him feel the need to check on your daughter. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, he wasnt' an asswhole afterall, maybe he was a father who'd seen a child die and it was eating him up inside. Maybe.
This stuff happens more often than the average person can ever comprehend. Dh has just started having flashbacks from an accident that he was one of the first two to respond to. It was a 51 car pileup and 10 people were burned alive, including a friend's dh. As much as other people don't care, it will affect him for the rest of his life, especially every single time the fog rolls in. He doesn't get over cautious to be a PITA, it's because he has seen first hand what can happen. It was four years ago on Oct 11th. Dh does better than most of the other guys. Three of them can't even watch cartoons with their kids 'cause they start getting flashbacks of the victims that were on fire walking out the mess before they collapsed. http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/Midw...ash/index.html

If, just if, that cop saw something even 1/100th of what this was, I would never suggest that he had anything other than the safety of a child on his heart and his mind unless I had solid proof. They aren't all jerks.
post #180 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Wow, a person was looking out for your daughter's safety and all you can do is complain about it. Seems very odd to me. Last time I checked being late to school wasn't life threatening, being improperly restrained however, that's another story.
Yet again, I DON'T agree that he was looking out for my daughter's safety. I believe he was LOOKING for a reason to write a ticket but couldn't find one and just used it as an excuse.

Being late for school is not life threatening BUT according to schools around here , this would NOT be an excused tardy and if you reach three the CHILD is punished.

Also, again, my daughter was NOT IMPROPERTLY RESTRAINED.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Don't cops have anything better to do?