or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Don't cops have anything better to do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don't cops have anything better to do? - Page 5

post #81 of 205
Oh dear Shannon, you're killing me. : Thanks, I really needed that.
post #82 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
According to state law, she was not. She is not even borderline.

Most state laws suck big time....doesn't mean that your child is still safe to ride in a vehicle without a child restraint, when all cars are built for an average adult. That's the reason behind booster seat use. Boosters retrofit a vehicles lap and shoulder belt to fit our kids by raising them so that the belt stays put and lies on their body correctly. If your DC can pass the 5 step test AND meets state law criteria, then she doesn't have to be in a booster seat at all. Keep in mind that just because a child passes the 5 step test in one car, doesn't mean they will in all cars. Every car is different and must be tested individually.

Check this out:
http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
post #83 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAMACITA* View Post
we have the same law in Cali..I have no idea what the law is here in TX..Anyone know?? but hello 60lbs or 6y/o..i would fight it...my son was out of his booster sit when he was 5 cuz he weighed 65lbs.. i would have asked to cop to pulll a scale out of his car and weigh DD..but thats just me.

Texas law as of Sept. 2005 is the child must be in a child restraint (includes booster seats) until 5 years old AND 36" in height. Lobbying to change that at present and will be back in Austin soon.


Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
post #84 of 205
Just a few very real facts about booster seat use and subsequent injury without their use:

Children ages 2-5 who are prematurely graduated to safety belts are four times more likely to suffer a serious head injury in a crash than those restrained in child safety seats or booster seats.
Estimates show that booster seats reduce the risk of injury by 59 percent compared with the use of an adult safety belt alone.


All 50 states and the District of Columbia have child restraint laws. In 36 states and the District of Columbia all children younger than 16 are covered by either safety belt laws or child restraint laws.
As of November 1, 2005, 36 states and the district of Columbia had upgraded their child restraint laws to require the use of booster seats or other appropriate child restraint device by children up to as old as 9.

Booster seats are the most under used, yet most needed category of child restraints.


Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
post #85 of 205
Does anyone know the Ohio state law on this? I've heard it was 4 years and 40 pounds... that just seems way too small to stop using a booster. My friend always brings up the "law" when I mention that her kid is way too short and skinny to be sitting in the regular seat.
post #86 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I don't want to debate peoples opinion's of booster seat laws and ages I just want to vent about a cop being ridiculous.

The booster seat law in Oregon is 6 years old or 60 lbs. I have yet to figure out if it is which comes first or last. Regardless DD is going to be 8 in six days and weighs 67lbs. DH just got pulled over because she wasn't in a booster seat. : Hello!! Couldn’t you find someone who was actually breaking a law to harass??? DD is by NO MEANS small for her age either. DH is 6'6" so she is among the tallest of her age group.

DH was told since she was borderline she should be in a booster seat. Two years over the age is boarderline????
I haven't seen where you mentioned he was given a citation for it. Was he? And if so, and she meets your state criteria, simply take a copy of her BC and a note from a doctor stating her current weight, and fight the ticket. Was the officer doing his job? Yes. I wish more officers would care like that. If he was wrong, then simply get the ticket dismissed.


Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
post #87 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2a&a View Post
I think if you asked anyone that has scooped a child up off the street after an accident what they thought, they'd agree.
Word, been there, done that, still have nightmares. It's true, there is NOTHING that officer could have been doing that would be more important than checking up to make sure a child is properly restrained.

My youngest Godson is 21, when he was here in August we lent him our truck to visit a friend. He was pulled over...TWICE because an officer thought he looked to young to be driving. Both times the officer called us to ensure that we knew he had our truck and both times I thanked that officer for being concerned. It's true, Mark, while 6'3 looks like he's about 14. I'd rather have them say "Sorry to bug you" than say "Can you identify this body?"
post #88 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
Does anyone know the Ohio state law on this? I've heard it was 4 years and 40 pounds... that just seems way too small to stop using a booster. My friend always brings up the "law" when I mention that her kid is way too short and skinny to be sitting in the regular seat.
Here are the current laws in every state as of Sept. 2005.

http://nhtsa.gov/people/injury/airba...aintschart.pdf

I need to note that TEXAS is incorrect. It says 4 and 36"....but shortly after this came out from NHTSA, our bill was passed increasing the age to 5 yo AND 36". Just wanted to clarify that. So basically, re-verify these laws with your local PD.

Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
post #89 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
Does anyone know the Ohio state law on this? I've heard it was 4 years and 40 pounds... that just seems way too small to stop using a booster. My friend always brings up the "law" when I mention that her kid is way too short and skinny to be sitting in the regular seat.
Well, if by regular seat, you mean with no booster seat, it appears that your friend is mistaken. Ohio carseat and booster laws I can't quote it because it is a pdf document though.
post #90 of 205
Btw, we recently purchased this booster for ME. http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1162522691487
I am 5' tall and for our new van I was quite aware that I was NOT tall enough for the seatbelt
I expect I'll get teased horribly by my fellow 30 something'ers.
post #91 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
Btw, we recently purchased this booster for ME. http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1162522691487
I am 5' tall and for our new van I was quite aware that I was NOT tall enough for the seatbelt
I expect I'll get teased horribly by my fellow 30 something'ers.
Ack! I can't see it. It's asking me for a postal code. US codes apparently are invalid.
post #92 of 205
Nevermind, I just put in one of the examples they gave. Wow, I have never seen one of those before. My mom should totally have one of those! I'd look up more info on it, if it wasn't in French! I have no idea what it says.
post #93 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by wende View Post
It's amazing to me that so many of you say that you'd keep your child in a booster seat until they are 100lbs. I weighed 98lbs until I was 22 years old. It took my THIRD child to push me over the 100lb mark. I'm quite certain that I'd not have sat in a booster until I was 22 years old. I'm only 110lbs now, and 5'7" tall. Who's to say that if I were to get into an accident that my seatbelt would lock up properly or would it assume that I should be broader?
I am 33 and weigh 94ish pounds. I am only 5'3''. When I sit in the front seat of my parent's Elantra, the air bag sensor turns the air bag off; I think it thinks I am 10 years old! However, I don't need a booster seat. I am old enough to sit properly in the car, so that the seat belt lies where it is supposed to. If you look at this link:

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

which Dallaschildren posted, there are five questions asked:

Quote:
The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?
Most adults can pass this test, even if they are short in stature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
But, you are missing the part about being 4' 9". At that point, they don't need to be in there. I think most of the posters here are aware of that, but maybe some aren't.
Yep. It might take Joe awhile to get to 80 pounds, but he is definitely pushing 4'9''... When he was born I assumed he'd be out of a booster when he turned four- but times have definitely changed. I am glad they have, too. I would much rather have the MINOR inconvenience of carting a booster seat wherever we go, than having to deal with the consequences of an improperly restrained child in a crash. I wish so much that joesdad would feel this way!!
post #94 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
Has nothing to do with opinions. This is researchable, verifiable fact. It's not a secret that a child under 4'9" isn't safe in a car seat. You keep listing lots of shouldas/oughttas, but the facts remain the same.

I'm really only interested in this post in regards to the safety of your dc. I don't feel that the cop did anything wrong. In fact, I admire his dedication to your child's safety.

You've been educated as to the laws of physics (again, the laws of California are somewhat irrelevant). Now that you are aware your dd isn't safe, won't you just buy her a booster?
Someone was asking about the California law, I was informing them what it was.

I also don't feel my DH was pulled over for any sort of care about my child's safety but for an opertunity to fill the county coffers with money via a ticket. If the cop cared about DD's safety he might have stated current research says this that or the other. Instead, when he found out dd was legal, he whined that she was boarderline and should be in a booster seat even though she is no where near boarderline.

Off to read the rest of the posts while I was gone.....
post #95 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Ack! I can't see it. It's asking me for a postal code. US codes apparently are invalid.

Well then, you can use my postal code
L0P 1J0
post #96 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Not debating anything, but I thought this was interesting:

From the Oregon Department of Transportation.

I wonder why they put the recommendations on there. It's great that they do, but if they think it's important enough to list right below the Oregon laws, why not just make it the law?
They tired to pass it as law in Calfornia several years ago and it failed. They were only able to pass the 6 or 60lbs. Maybe the same thing happened here.

Thanks for letting me know it was AND and not OR however. Of course I don't think it will matter since I am sure the laws will change again before my next reaches that age.
post #97 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
I haven't seen where you mentioned he was given a citation for it. Was he? And if so, and she meets your state criteria, simply take a copy of her BC and a note from a doctor stating her current weight, and fight the ticket. Was the officer doing his job? Yes. I wish more officers would care like that. If he was wrong, then simply get the ticket dismissed.


Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
No he did not get a ticket, but fighting a ticket is a big pain in the butt as you have to take time off work to go to court, THEN they schedule you a court date and you have to take MORE time off work.

We are finding this out fighting a parking ticket that dh should not have gotten.

They make it as difficult as possible. They just want money.
post #98 of 205
Here in British Columbia Canada the law is 80lbs Psst, I always breck the law) DS is 4ft 65 lbs, and he complains that his booster hurts his legs, if we do an outta town trip he has to sit in it and he's cool with that part of sitting in it.
post #99 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
Here in British Columbia Canada the law is 80lbs Psst, I always breck the law) DS is 4ft 65 lbs, and he complains that his booster hurts his legs, if we do an outta town trip he has to sit in it and he's cool with that part of sitting in it.

Most accidents happen close to home though. :

I have never heard a kid say the boosters are uncomfortable. The ones Joe & my nephews have are nice & comfy. (I sit in Joe's sometimes, but only when it is not in the car! )
post #100 of 205
Well, I see this as a bigger issue with the police state. I don't think it's okay for cops to pull you over just to check if you're breaking the law. How is that any different from CPS demanding entry to your house just to check if you're beating your children? I think we should be just as safe from search, seizure, and detainment in our automobiles as in our homes. Guess I'm getting too out there for MDC these days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Don't cops have anything better to do?