or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe - November!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut Tribe - November! - Page 6

post #101 of 484
I forgot it was November. Hi there! I have to go back and catch up. I'm also gonna hit you ladies with my newest post...

Okay, I have exhausted my resources (of which there are many.) I'm posting this as a serious longshot. Maybe it will jog someone's memory or something-who knows.

My newest ds doesn't poop. Well, to clarify, he poops very infrequently-as in once every ten days. He doesn't appear to be uncomfortable, is thriving and meeting all of his developmental milestones and generally a very happy little man.

He has at least three food allergies that I am aware of (that provoke an immediate and clear response.) I'm sure there are more, but my many dietary changes have not uncovered them. I have gone off nuts, legumes, seeds, beans, nightshades, animal products etc. I have done them all for long enough periods of time to see a difference. The only ones that are clear are soy, dairy and eggs.

He has minor structural stuff that is begin addressed very consistently. He also had a tongue tie. All of the midline stuff has been assessed and I am comfortable with everybody's reports. He has trouble bearing down with his diaphragm, and we're working on it. The problem is he consistently goes ten days without a bowel movement and when he goes it's just once. Not a large one either, just one regular bm-then nothing for another ten days. There is no blockage or build up in his intestinal tract. He doesn't appear to be uncomfortable and it isn't difficult for him to have the bm.

It is the right color, though the consistency is off. It's sometimes a bit thick, and sometimes a bit runny. IT smells exactly as it should.

I haven't been able to find a probiotic that he can tolerate yet, so we're also working on that. I am very clear on what needs to happen in his gut, what I'm not clear on is why isn't he producing more waste? Anybody? Given what I've said, would you worry? This is absolutely not a normal stooling pattern, but aside from *knowing* that, nothing else appears to be a problem. Thanks for any insights.
post #102 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I am gluten-free and the misinformation out there is so frustrating!!! I feel like, unless I eat a home, there is gluten everywhere!

I just wanted to say hello. I have many food intolerances (20 on a blood test!!) and mild candida and I am hoping SCD will help me heal my gut...Is SCD a good choice for me? (I eat traditional foods and take probiotics already) I am also on antibiotics for 2nd stage Lyme right now so I am at least trying to keep any further damage from being done.

Jen

It's true, gluten is everywhere.

You may find the diet very helpful, I know we have. OTher's have not. Unfortunately it is a trial and error thing. Welcome though! Are you doing anything besides antibiotics for the lyme?
post #103 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
The eczema on DD's cheeks looks the best when she first wakes up in the morning, and by early afternoon they start looking pretty red. Is this common for eczema, or does it seem like something she's eating during the day is making them red? I would think it is something she is eating and not something I am eating because she nurses just as frequently at night as she does during the daytime. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm wondering if the wheat I keep eating is making DD's eczema worse (yes, I'm cheating a lot these days). I would like to do a month wheat-free, but I don't know if that is possible right now as we are going to visit DH's family for a week over Thanksgiving. We will be traveling (and eating out) for a couple of days, and then with Thanksgiving (I will not be cooking)...those of you who have done it (Annikate?) how feasible is it to try to go wheat-free while eating out or eating at other people's houses?
IT's tough, no doubt. We have been GF for over a year now. I brought MANY dishes to thanksgiving/christmas last year. By and large people are willing to accomodate, but they rarely know what that means. Gluten is hidden everywhere. I jsut make it easy by bringing my own things. There is also a site that lists all restaurant foods that are GF which is good to have on hand if you are travelling quite a bit.

Are you going just wheat free or gluten free? I recommend going GF, it's far easier to just get rid of it all at once. If you just go wheat free for a couple of months and still have symptoms then you need to go gluten free for several more months to rule it out. Really a pain. Better to get it over with IMO!

I believe it's pecanbread that has a stuffing recipe that is to die for. I'll have to go check. I didn't miss my favorite dish at all with that substitute! Dh loved it too.
post #104 of 484
FF-I don't know half as much as you about these things, but DS had a similar poo pattern from 3m-7m, until I added probiotics. Do you think your DS could handle breast milk kefir? I just got water kefir grains and added then to BM. It has not been long enough to tell if there is a difference. I know you are meticulous in everything you do for your diet, it can be so frustrating to not see results. Keep up the amazing work, you inspire me to keep going!
post #105 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
caedmyn - not entirely wheat-free yet here but we are visiting my dh's grandparents over thanksgiving (which is prolly worse than just the ILs - age makes a huge difference). i planned a menu for us and am baking snacks and treats and even a few meals (to freeze). we'll haul a huge cooler along with us. "FOOD ALLERGIES" is the story i'm sticking to. that and "the doctor said so". dh has already told grandma and has already heard "well, how do you make pumpkin pie without using a can of milk?" eesh.

i am finding gluten free treats however in the raw foods world. there's a nice thread going on in Traditional Foods with a few recipes (Even one that calls for 20 eggs!) and then there's always the other forums to check out. firefaery has a ton of recipes that she can point you (us) to.
I have perfected my GF/CF/SF pumpkin pie! Give a holler if you need it.

That is why the raw world is so very easy for me. It's practically allergen free!
post #106 of 484
Nolansmum-similar in what way? Frequency (or lack thereof) color or amount? It's the minimal output that is freaking me out the most.

Sigh. I would try BM kefir. Problem is my supply isn't fabulous. I work to ebf-there really generally isn't enough left to pump. I could try though. Where do I acquire the water grains?
post #107 of 484
Gluten free-

Thank you so much for bringing up this topic! I have not been diligent about all gluten and hope this will help us heal some more. I have look carefully through my food and my spices are really the only thing I am not 100% positive about. I buy my spices from Whole foods, but they don't say gluten free. Body products are another matter... I was using Eucerin on my hands frequently throughout the day. I am also unsure about my makeup, I need to get a good list of what gluten ingredients are in makeup-this is a harder list to find.

I am travelling next week to NYC and will look into the gluten free meals at restaurants, I know there are also gluten free restaurants there, hmmm.
post #108 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I have perfected my GF/CF/SF pumpkin pie! Give a holler if you need it.

That is why the raw world is so very easy for me. It's practically allergen free!
ooo please share!

i can guess that the crust is something like appropriately soaked nuts (mmmm pecans....) and dates... i'm at a loss for the (raw?) filling though.
post #109 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Nolansmum-similar in what way? Frequency (or lack thereof) color or amount? It's the minimal output that is freaking me out the most.

Sigh. I would try BM kefir. Problem is my supply isn't fabulous. I work to ebf-there really generally isn't enough left to pump. I could try though. Where do I acquire the water grains?

there's a sticky in the nutrition forum "kefir grains and kombucha scobies" where the holders of the grains advertise their free wares (charging only for packing materials and postage)
post #110 of 484
FF, I can send you water grains. PM me your info.
post #111 of 484
subbing - must come back and read. DS and I both have issues.
post #112 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Nolansmum-similar in what way? Frequency (or lack thereof) color or amount? It's the minimal output that is freaking me out the most.

Sigh. I would try BM kefir. Problem is my supply isn't fabulous. I work to ebf-there really generally isn't enough left to pump. I could try though. Where do I acquire the water grains?
Similar as in frequency, he had a little more output than your DS, but not 10 days worth of poo that's for sure. The smell was normal (I thought it smelled like buttered popcorn ) and it was a normal consistency for EBF. I still have yet to figure out his food sensitivities.

I would love your pumkin pie recipe! And if you find that stuffing recipe (I will look, but sometimes these things are like a needle in a haystack.) I am working on a pate recipe right now, I'll post tomorrow if it turns out well.
post #113 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Gluten free-

Thank you so much for bringing up this topic! I have not been diligent about all gluten and hope this will help us heal some more. I have look carefully through my food and my spices are really the only thing I am not 100% positive about. I buy my spices from Whole foods, but they don't say gluten free. Body products are another matter... I was using Eucerin on my hands frequently throughout the day. I am also unsure about my makeup, I need to get a good list of what gluten ingredients are in makeup-this is a harder list to find.

I am travelling next week to NYC and will look into the gluten free meals at restaurants, I know there are also gluten free restaurants there, hmmm.
eesh... i hadn't even gotten to that point yet. though our finely tuned morning routine just doesn't allow for me to apply makeup (so glad that i work in a casual midwest university)... however, i suspect if we have issues they are most definitely internal not transdermal.
post #114 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Hmmm. . . I didn't know there was a seperate candida thread. That's why a lot of the mamas were begging for the Healing the GUt to be its own forum. (Think of all the subforums we could have. . . LOTS of information here to *digest* <cough cough>

Ah, it's more fun having everyone here though, no?
i thought caedmyn had started one a ways back...
post #115 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
there's a sticky in the nutrition forum "kefir grains and kombucha scobies" where the holders of the grains advertise their free wares (charging only for packing materials and postage)
I found saratc(welcometo HTG!) there, I picked up my scoby and water kefir grains from her last weekend. I am waiting for my first batch of kefir to get less sweet . I can't believe I would ever say that!
post #116 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I forgot it was November. Hi there! I have to go back and catch up. I'm also gonna hit you ladies with my newest post...

Okay, I have exhausted my resources (of which there are many.) I'm posting this as a serious longshot. Maybe it will jog someone's memory or something-who knows.

My newest ds doesn't poop. Well, to clarify, he poops very infrequently-as in once every ten days. He doesn't appear to be uncomfortable, is thriving and meeting all of his developmental milestones and generally a very happy little man.

He has at least three food allergies that I am aware of (that provoke an immediate and clear response.) I'm sure there are more, but my many dietary changes have not uncovered them. I have gone off nuts, legumes, seeds, beans, nightshades, animal products etc. I have done them all for long enough periods of time to see a difference. The only ones that are clear are soy, dairy and eggs.

He has minor structural stuff that is begin addressed very consistently. He also had a tongue tie. All of the midline stuff has been assessed and I am comfortable with everybody's reports. He has trouble bearing down with his diaphragm, and we're working on it. The problem is he consistently goes ten days without a bowel movement and when he goes it's just once. Not a large one either, just one regular bm-then nothing for another ten days. There is no blockage or build up in his intestinal tract. He doesn't appear to be uncomfortable and it isn't difficult for him to have the bm.

It is the right color, though the consistency is off. It's sometimes a bit thick, and sometimes a bit runny. IT smells exactly as it should.

I haven't been able to find a probiotic that he can tolerate yet, so we're also working on that. I am very clear on what needs to happen in his gut, what I'm not clear on is why isn't he producing more waste? Anybody? Given what I've said, would you worry? This is absolutely not a normal stooling pattern, but aside from *knowing* that, nothing else appears to be a problem. Thanks for any insights.
Could it be that he is just using the bm so effeciently that there isn't much left over? It isn't like it is high fiber or anything like that to bulk it up. Thats all I've got.
post #117 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
It's true, gluten is everywhere.

You may find the diet very helpful, I know we have. OTher's have not. Unfortunately it is a trial and error thing. Welcome though! Are you doing anything besides antibiotics for the lyme?
I am working with a integrative medicine doctor. He has me on tons of probiotics and coriolus mushroom for my immune system. I have been on abx for 6 weeks and the past few days I feel they are really doing a number on my gut.: (The details are too gross) I told me to quit abx for 3 days and go really heavy an probiotics. I am also starting colostrum with meals this week.
Some people he does not put on abx for Lyme. He thought that would be the best route for me. (I am in the 2nd stage with arthritis throughout my joints). I hate abx but I want Lyme out before I get preg again. I will talk to him about the alternative therapies. I am haivng a hard time finding anything about alternative therapies on the net.
post #118 of 484
FF-Hugs to you and your baby while you figure this one out. I don't have any advice, just s

After more reading me and ds may have CD. (ME=blood tests plus symptoms and doing WAY better off grains, DS= has some symptoms including being thin with a bloated stomach)

Today was our first official SCD day. For me it went great. Ds (2) went to MILs today and it all fell apart. I made her a simple list of what he could and could not eat with meal ideas included. She gave him potatoes and a ton rice milk (which has sugar AND gluten!!). When I came in and potatoes were in his bowl I said, "Oh, I wrote 'NO potatoes' on the list".....She said that SHE DID NOT READ IT: and did "not know where it went". I then said that this needs to be 100% and from now on I will just send him with food. I was about to cry I felt so frustrated.

When we went to leave I told dh what happened. He said that we would just have to only have people watch him who will follow the rules. I felt really validated after that.
post #119 of 484
Wow, I can't imagine having to worry about gluten free soap, and gluten-free glue and paint and playdough. How would you make gluten free playdough, anyway? I know there is a recipe for peanut butter playdough, but that's an edible version. Not that ds would ever eat it or play with it, LOL.
post #120 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Who do we have to ask about a separate HTG forum? It would be soooooo helpful. There are so many facets to this problem, so many bugs, so many causes, so many remedies. Should we start a pming campaign to the powers that be??
I would love a forum!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe - November!