or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › PSA: The importance of a 5-point harness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PSA: The importance of a 5-point harness - Page 2

post #21 of 80
I think there are other concerns about booster seats than just seatbelt failure.

In a booster, if a child puts the seatbelt over their shoulder or falls asleep or turns around in their seat--they aren't going to be properly protected by the seatbelt. For them to be properly protected, they need to be awake, facing forward and the lap and shoulder parts of the belt in the right position.

If they are in a 5-point harness there is no way (short of them unbuckling themselves) that they would not be protected by the harness.
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
I think there are other concerns about booster seats than just seatbelt failure.

In a booster, if a child puts the seatbelt over their shoulder or falls asleep or turns around in their seat--they aren't going to be properly protected by the seatbelt. For them to be properly protected, they need to be awake, facing forward and the lap and shoulder parts of the belt in the right position.

If they are in a 5-point harness there is no way (short of them unbuckling themselves) that they would not be protected by the harness.
so true.... this is one of the main reasons we bought a regent for older DD. She was 5 but still was way too fidgety for the booster seat.
post #23 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
What kind of van? Please tell me...we're shopping for vans......
I don't know about the others, but, my daycare girl was in a Ford Windstar.

BUT, this was a freak and horrible incident. Nobody knows why the seat came up from the floorboard. It was a used vehicle, and it is possible that it had been taken out to haul things and not put back correctly. Only the right side of the seat came up from the van floor. So, the seatbelt was not enough to keep the child in her the seat belt. She AND the booster seat flew out of the van.

I wouldn't just buy a van based on our stories. There must be a consumer reports on this.
post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I wouldn't just buy a van based on our stories. There must be a consumer reports on this.
There is, and we have researched. I wanted to make sure it wasn't one of the top rated CR ones.
post #25 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Yes, it might be like your child getting struck by lightning, but don't you have your kids come inside or not stand under trees during a big thunderstorm because of the risk, as small as it may be?
Yep, I bring them inside, but I don't make them wear insluated suits once they are inside.
post #26 of 80
We just got the Regent for our 3 year old a few days ago. My family thinks I am ridiculous getting such a gigantic carseat (it woudl practically fit an adult) and dh tried to talk me into a booster seat but I am so glad we got the Regent. We don't have the LATCH system in the last row of our van for forward facing seats. I thought it was weird that when you use the seatbelt to secure the Regent it wraps around several times on one side and again on the other. Is that incase of seatbelt failure it will still be somewhat secure? Does anyone know what I am talking about? It's hard to describe.

To the poster that said some dealers will install a tether for free-can I just go to any dealership? We didn't get our van from a dealership. Thanks, Kathryn, for posting this!
post #27 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post

To the poster that said some dealers will install a tether for free-can I just go to any dealership? We didn't get our van from a dealership.
Yes. I say dealership because when you call your vehicle manufacturer CS department, they will likely just refer you to the closest dealership to have the actual work done. So if you've got a Chevy, you'd call a Chevrolet dealership etc. etc. You do not have to have purchased the car from THAT or A dealership to have a tether put in. Make sense?

DC
post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
Yep, I bring them inside, but I don't make them wear insluated suits once they are inside.
Wow. I hardly think that buying a quality carseat falls into the realm of ridicules, as your metaphor seems to imply.
post #29 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
What kind of van? Please tell me...we're shopping for vans......
2000 Toyota Sienna, which I believe had the highest saftey rating of minivans that year: .
post #30 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Wow. I hardly think that buying a quality carseat falls into the realm of ridicules, as your metaphor seems to imply.
No, I am not talking about having a quality car seat. I am talking about having a quality car seat, seeing this video, dumping the quality car seat you do have in order to buy a different one.
post #31 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
No, I am not talking about having a quality car seat. I am talking about having a quality car seat, seeing this video, dumping the quality car seat you do have in order to buy a different one.
Actually it doesn't say that. It says to keep children in a 5 pt. harness until 80 lbs. Not "dump your current car seat for a new one."
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbabes View Post
2000 Toyota Sienna, which I believe had the highest saftey rating of minivans that year: .
Great. That's the one we're looking at getting (2007 model). Geez, it scares me to think, well hopefully they've improved after 7 years...but I don't trust the automotive industry as far as I can throw them. Ugh. I should never have seen the movie "Class Action." Ever since I saw that movie and having talked to mothers who've lost children in similar circumstances (known defect that automotive co. didn't fix 'cause of cost...), I just don't trust the automotive industry AT ALL.
post #33 of 80
Quote:
Yes. I say dealership because when you call your vehicle manufacturer CS department, they will likely just refer you to the closest dealership to have the actual work done. So if you've got a Chevy, you'd call a Chevrolet dealership etc. etc. You do not have to have purchased the car from THAT or A dealership to have a tether put in. Make sense?
Thanks!
post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
No, I am not talking about having a quality car seat. I am talking about having a quality car seat, seeing this video, dumping the quality car seat you do have in order to buy a different one.
If your current quality carseat is age and weight-inappropriate, then you ABSOLUTELY should get a different one.
What is your point in this thread? That nothing is 100% safe so we shouldn't bother? Or that slop and laziness on our kids' car safety is good enough?
post #35 of 80
i think i understand boysrus' point.
i'd also like to add that i haven't seen a single carseat rated for over 40 lbs outside the britax. we CANNOT afford two $250. that is just not fesible. that's nearly an entire month's rent for our family. we purchased two evenflo triumph 5 for more money than we could afford and they were still over $100 cheaper than the britax. we also do not have a car with the latch system. again, we can't afford it. i was driving a '92 subaru before #2 when my parents gave me their '95 camry. there is no way for us to get a car that was built after 2001 (when all cars became required to have the latch system).
i think the fight needs to come in that ALL children deserve the same protection. right now, theoretically, if a britax and a latch-equipped car are neccessary for a safe child, the poor children are the ones left unsafe. how is that fair? shouldn't we be demanding ALL carseat manufacturers make seats that are rated up to 80 lb? shouldn't we be demanding car manufacturers be required to upgrade older cars to latch?
post #36 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
i think i understand boysrus' point.
i'd also like to add that i haven't seen a single carseat rated for over 40 lbs outside the britax. we CANNOT afford two $250. that is just not fesible. that's nearly an entire month's rent for our family. we purchased two evenflo triumph 5 for more money than we could afford and they were still over $100 cheaper than the britax. we also do not have a car with the latch system. again, we can't afford it. i was driving a '92 subaru before #2 when my parents gave me their '95 camry. there is no way for us to get a car that was built after 2001 (when all cars became required to have the latch system).
i think the fight needs to come in that ALL children deserve the same protection. right now, theoretically, if a britax and a latch-equipped car are neccessary for a safe child, the poor children are the ones left unsafe. how is that fair? shouldn't we be demanding ALL carseat manufacturers make seats that are rated up to 80 lb? shouldn't we be demanding car manufacturers be required to upgrade older cars to latch?

There actually is a seat that harnesses over 40lbs. outside of the britax.

http://www.showeryourbaby.com/coap65cocars.html

It also includes a tether.

I DO agree that all children deserve the same protection, but until that happens why not educate those who can afford to drop the money on a new seat for their child who may be using a booster when they still need a 5 pt. harness.
post #37 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
If your current quality carseat is age and weight-inappropriate, then you ABSOLUTELY should get a different one.
What is your point in this thread? That nothing is 100% safe so we shouldn't bother? Or that slop and laziness on our kids' car safety is good enough?

Thank You! I totally agree.
post #38 of 80
There are quite a few seats out that harness higher than 40lbs and cost considerably less.

Besides britax there is:
Cosco Apex ($130 at babies r us)
Cosco Eddie Baugher comfort high back booster (http://www.djgusa.com/product.asp?productID=2604)
Fisher Price Safe Voyage (madey by Britax and about $170 I think)
Sunshine Radian

Also, its perfectly safe to use your car seat with the seat belts (I do) but you need to have the top of the seat tethered so you have a back up system. Like many of us have said previously in the thread, call the dealer (the one who makes your car) and ask about having tethers installed ... they often will do it for free.
post #39 of 80


This is so sad but important info.
post #40 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyMama View Post
There are quite a few seats out that harness higher than 40lbs and cost considerably less.

Besides britax there is:
Cosco Apex ($130 at babies r us)
Cosco Eddie Baugher comfort high back booster (http://www.djgusa.com/product.asp?productID=2604)
Fisher Price Safe Voyage (madey by Britax and about $170 I think)
Sunshine Radian

Does anyone use any of the seats listed above? How heavy are they and what do you think of them? DS is 42lb and 42 inches tall.

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › PSA: The importance of a 5-point harness