Meagan & Morgan's Story:
It was far different from what I'd imagined our 2nd pregnancy would be and not as bad as I thought it would turn out.
We planned a hospital (vbac) birth with a very natural-friendly OB - he was okay with mostly unassisted water labor, pushing however I wanted, etc and then we found out we were having twins at 10W. He was still very happy with a natural birth, but added that we'd have to deliver in the OR. I think I posted around that time asking how to avoid that and looking back that was such an insignificant detail to think about now!
Around 3 months, we got the final declaration of monoamniotic twins and our care was transfered to the head of MFM at our University hospital. I felt fortunate that he was a pretty "crunchy" guy, his wife delivered at our birthing center and he even encouraged triplet moms to delivery vaginally. That said, he told me there was no way around a c-section again and that the twins would be delivered sometime between 32-34 weeks. He told us at that first appointment that if we made it to viability, he would see us again. I thought at the time it was terribly rude and insensitive, but then we started reading all the studies and literature about Monoamniotic twins.
We made it to 26W, our choice of viability, and from there out started monitoring the girls at home for two sessions per day, each lasting from 1-3 hours. We chose not to do in-patient, like most mono pregnancies, because we are so close to the hospital and I felt like I needed to be at home for my sanity and for my toddler.
At 29W, I had contractions every 4-6 minutes apart and was admitted to the hospital for a week. I was dilating and had severe cervical funneling, so we chose mag sulfate and steroids. The funneling actually improved which is supposedly quite rare, and I went home on light bedrest, natural progesterone injections, and ibuprofen as a muscle relaxant.
We chose a 32W delivery because we saw what an emergency situation would be like during the PTL scare. I didn't want to deliver under general, and we hadn't experienced any heartrate decels the entire time we'd monitored the girls. The whole pregnancy was somewhat of a game of playing the odds, so we decided to play them again.
Meagan needed surfactant and was on CPAP for 3 days then a cannula for a week and Morgan was on a cannula for a week. We were out of the NICU within two weeks and home after three long weeks in the IMCN. They took awhile to discharge because of A&Bs. Both girls were a smidge under 6 pounds at discharge. Meagan had a Grade I IVH that required several follow up ultrasounds.Morgan Raleigh
4 pounds 7 ouncesMeagan Reese
4 pounds 3 ouncesFirst Time Together Since Birth
Five Days OldMorgan
Ten Days OldMeagan
Ten Days OldFirst Time Holding Both
Ten Days OldCoBedding
Fourteen Days OldMorgan Now
14.5ish poundsMeagan Now
Today they are sitting up alone, starting to babble, giggle like crazy when they are tickled or see their big sister, and are the light of our lives!