or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › July 2007 › low rising HCG - not doubling correctly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

low rising HCG - not doubling correctly?

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
September 9th - first pregnancy - miscarriage

October 24 : - HCG 102 October 26 - HCG 347 November 3 - HCG 3083

November 4 - spotting - pink and brown, minor minor spotting continues for 5 days (drops)

November 5 - HCG 3861 November 7 - HCG 5259 November 9 - HCG 6677

Dr Called me on November 10 - stating that she is concerned and "be cautious, i'm honest".

How do you take these levels?? :
post #2 of 35
I don't know. The levels aren't doubling properly, that is true. However, that may or may not mean a miscarriage. If it was me, I would be concerned, and probably feel very guarded. I guess all you can do is wait a bit and see what you find out. I am sorry you are going through this, it must be very difficult. I am also sorry about your miscarriage in September. I'll be thinking of you.
post #3 of 35
First of all, I'm so sorry that you are having to go through all of this stress.

I would be very concerned about those numbers as well. I know that there are a lot of stories about how numbers like that turned into healthy babies.....but more often than not its not good news. I sure hope its just a fluke.
post #4 of 35
For HCG levels <1,200mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is 48-72 hours.
For HCG levels 1,200-6,000mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is 72-96 hours.
For HCG levels >6,000mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is >96 hours.


considering it can take up to 72 hours for hcg to double until it reaches over 6,000 I honestly dont see a real problem with your numbers. It looks like you are closer to a 72 hour doubler than a 48 hour one. It is a common misconception that hcg should double every 24 hours. The variation of normal is so wide.

the first numbers 48 hours apart did double and more.
the second set of numbers on the 3rd and the 5th didnt double or even close but they did rise. But it had only been 48 hours remember you have up to 72 to double.
from the 5th to the 7th they came very close to doubling
from the 7th to the 9th they didnt but again there was a good rise there
from the 3rd to the 7th over 72 hours they havnt doubled either so they are going up slowly for sure.

Do you know when you ovulated for sure or within a few days or are you just going by lmp? Are you having hcg checked again?

3weeks lmp 7-13dpo 5-50mIU
4 weeks lmp 14-20dpo 10-424mIU
5 weeks lmp 21-27dpo 19-7,340mIU
6 weeks lmp 28-34dpo 1,080-56,500mIU
post #5 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet76 View Post
I don't know. The levels aren't doubling properly, that is true. However, that may or may not mean a miscarriage. If it was me, I would be concerned, and probably feel very guarded. I guess all you can do is wait a bit and see what you find out. I am sorry you are going through this, it must be very difficult. I am also sorry about your miscarriage in September. I'll be thinking of you.

Thanks - I'm a little more prepared this time. We were going to try for another one in the new year, but it happened 6 weeks or so after hte m/c so we're careful this time around
post #6 of 35
My doctor won't even check my HCG levels as they think they are unreliable for seeing anything other then you're pregnant. She said it can cause unnecessary worry.

ETA: I had bleeding (not spotting, but HEAVY bleeding) with my last 2 pregnancies and my babies are both here. My 2 yr old was a twin that early miscarried, and with my 10 month old I had something called "veinous lakes" or something like that.
post #7 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2 View Post
For HCG levels <1,200mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is 48-72 hours.
For HCG levels 1,200-6,000mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is 72-96 hours.
For HCG levels >6,000mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is >96 hours.


considering it can take up to 72 hours for hcg to double until it reaches over 6,000 I honestly dont see a real problem with your numbers. It looks like you are closer to a 72 hour doubler than a 48 hour one. It is a common misconception that hcg should double every 24 hours. The variation of normal is so wide.

the first numbers 48 hours apart did double and more.
the second set of numbers on the 3rd and the 5th didnt double or even close but they did rise. But it had only been 48 hours remember you have up to 72 to double.
from the 5th to the 7th they came very close to doubling
from the 7th to the 9th they didnt but again there was a good rise there
from the 3rd to the 7th over 72 hours they havnt doubled either so they are going up slowly for sure.

Do you know when you ovulated for sure or within a few days or are you just going by lmp? Are you having hcg checked again?

3weeks lmp 7-13dpo 5-50mIU
4 weeks lmp 14-20dpo 10-424mIU
5 weeks lmp 21-27dpo 19-7,340mIU
6 weeks lmp 28-34dpo 1,080-56,500mIU


new numbers just in -

Monday = 8173

This means it took 4 days to only go up by 61% - still not looking good.
post #8 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1977 View Post
September 9th - first pregnancy - miscarriage

October 24 : - HCG 102 October 26 - HCG 347 November 3 - HCG 3083

November 4 - spotting - pink and brown, minor minor spotting continues for 5 days (drops)

November 5 - HCG 3861 November 7 - HCG 5259 November 9 - HCG 6677

Dr Called me on November 10 - stating that she is concerned and "be cautious, i'm honest".

How do you take these levels?? :




new numbers just in -

Monday = 8173

This means it took 4 days to only go up by 61% - still not looking good.
post #9 of 35
post #10 of 35
Well I'm praying for you-big sticky. Also this is the exact reason I won't keep getting my levels checked like the dr wants. With ds at 6 weeks, my levels were low enough that they almost told me I wasn't preg-healthy 20m old running around. There is another mom on this board who said the dr told her sister that her levels were too low and she has a healthy baby also. This time I went for 2 hcg tests through the dr instead of a walk in clinic for better confirmation, and the levels are low. But I'm not going to stress myself out and keep going every few days. I'm just a low level person. So we're not saying anything to the whole family until 12 weeks is up-only a select few.

Also how many weeks are you from lmp? I don't know what point they can do an ultrasound to see yolk sack, but have they mentioned a us at all? A freind of mine is 6.5 weeks and they could see the embryo implanted already. Or the earliest to hear heartbeat?
post #11 of 35
I hope everything is ok. You're in my thoughts.
post #12 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
Well I'm praying for you-big sticky. Also this is the exact reason I won't keep getting my levels checked like the dr wants. With ds at 6 weeks, my levels were low enough that they almost told me I wasn't preg-healthy 20m old running around. There is another mom on this board who said the dr told her sister that her levels were too low and she has a healthy baby also. This time I went for 2 hcg tests through the dr instead of a walk in clinic for better confirmation, and the levels are low. But I'm not going to stress myself out and keep going every few days. I'm just a low level person. So we're not saying anything to the whole family until 12 weeks is up-only a select few.

Also how many weeks are you from lmp? I don't know what point they can do an ultrasound to see yolk sack, but have they mentioned a us at all? A freind of mine is 6.5 weeks and they could see the embryo implanted already. Or the earliest to hear heartbeat?

I already had an U/S a week ago this past Monday ( the 6th ) and they saw the "sac" or at least that's all they showed me. at that point my levels were about 3861 (taken the day before). U/S report showed the sac to be less than 5 weeks, but the actual fetus was apparently there too and from crown to rump estimated 5 weeks 5 days at that point.

I never really had a "last" menstrual period because I miscarried the week of September 9th and never had another period after - but I got pregnant again after.

I have another u/s scheduled for Wednesday the 22nd and bloodwork today.

Not sure if it's even going to be a healthy pregnancy if it continues from this point.. i have no idea what to think ! :
post #13 of 35
Big, big hugs to you, Christine. I am going through something similar.

post #14 of 35
Hi Christine,
I hope everything goes well next Wed.
I don't know if this will help or not, but according to this website at 28 days DPO (6 weeks LMP) the range is 1080 to 56,500 so you could be well within that range if you know when you O'd. I hope this means good things!!
http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/birth/hcglevels.html

FC
post #15 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1977 View Post
September 9th - first pregnancy - miscarriage

October 24 : - HCG 102 October 26 - HCG 347 November 3 - HCG 3083

November 4 - spotting - pink and brown, minor minor spotting continues for 5 days (drops)

November 5 - HCG 3861 November 7 - HCG 5259 November 9 - HCG 6677

Dr Called me on November 10 - stating that she is concerned and "be cautious, i'm honest".

How do you take these levels?? :
I get another set of numbers today. Monday's were 8173. I HOPE Thursdays' are at least 15,000 :
post #16 of 35
me too! i'll be thinking 15,000 for you all morning.
let us know.
post #17 of 35
and positive thoughts to you - hoping for nice high numbers!!!!
post #18 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaG View Post
and positive thoughts to you - hoping for nice high numbers!!!!

No amount of me being positive was goign to work.

Dr's last words.... "... i'm so sorry christine".

Thanks for everyone's guidance in here..

This will be m/c number 2.

Thank you to everyone,
post #19 of 35
post #20 of 35
I am so sorry. This sounds like a very wanted baby for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › July 2007 › low rising HCG - not doubling correctly?