or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › B vitamin challenge: Brewer's Yeast and Liver products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

B vitamin challenge: Brewer's Yeast and Liver products - Page 5

post #81 of 198
I'm going to start tomorrow unless I get some serious energy tonight to make pate. (Isn't it ironic: that which will give me energy is too much energy right now to cook?! ) I plan on making pate and having it each day on a piece of toast. I figured that way I'll probably get 1 ounce a day or so. Dh really likes it that way too, so I'll probably end up making it a couple times a week.
post #82 of 198
Oh, and is anyone taking a B12 supplement who is also taking BY? (Sorry weird wording. ) From what I have found, BY doesn't have B12, which I thought was one of the big ones for combatting depression. We have B12 drops; I'll have to check how much is in each.

Am I correct in thinking that BY, B12 drops, and liver would eliminate the need for zinc and B-complex? Although I have to say, my B-complex is *MUCH* easier to swallow than the BY tabs (which are big and round and get stuck half way down and require many more tabs to get the same basic affect as 2 B-complex caps).
post #83 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I am completely exhausted right now.
I would try to eat it three times this week to help give you a boost.


Ally'smom -- that's not a whole lot, but try it and see if you feel any better.

MLW -- I think you should take the B-12. I think the BY we have around here is fortified with B-12
post #84 of 198
Starting with liver tomorrow. I really wish I would have managed to start last week, considering what an awfully rage-full day today was, but better late than never, right
post #85 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
Starting with liver tomorrow. I really wish I would have managed to start last week, considering what an awfully rage-full day today was, but better late than never, right
Tomorrow is a new day.
post #86 of 198
Okay, I bought BY just before leaving for the holiday. I only tried it once stirred into milk, but it was gross. I want to start taking it, but has anyone found a way to hide it in anything? I tried it in a bowl of oatmeal and had to throw away the oatmeal. So gross.

Do I just have to pinch my nose and take it in the milk or is there a tasty way? It wasn't quite as gross to me as cow's liver (though, trying a chicken liver pate with lots of bacon and onion sounds like an option), but I am more likely to do it if I can enjoy it! And, those doing BY, how often? Once a day or is every other day okay? My container says 2 TB is the dosage.
post #87 of 198
I can choke it down in about 4 ounces of orange juice - I use a straw so I can drink it right into the back of the throat. It still makes me shiver when I'm done, but it's do-able ... barely! (And yep, I tossed a huge smoothie when I had first tried BY because it was so yucky.)
post #88 of 198
my mom suggested taking BY in pineapple juice. It is definitely the most palatable way I've tried.
post #89 of 198
I accidentally let the package of liver thaw on the counter overnight instead of in the fridge overnight. I cooked it up but it doesn't smell appetizing at all.

Should I still eat it?

Would the liver lose any of its nutritional properties by being left out too long? Is it unsafe to eat?

OK, after broiling the liver I cooked it with coconut oil, black pepper, ginger, garlic, hot pepper sauce, and tamari. I added more tamari after cooking it and it was palatable. I'll let you know if I lunch comes back up later.
post #90 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
my mom suggested taking BY in pineapple juice. It is definitely the most palatable way I've tried.
What a good idea. I will have to get some! Can you get it on its own (we use whats left in the can after pineapples)?
post #91 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I accidentally let the package of liver thaw on the counter overnight instead of in the fridge overnight. I cooked it up but it doesn't smell appetizing at all.

Should I still eat it?

Would the liver lose any of its nutritional properties by being left out too long? Is it unsafe to eat?

OK, after broiling the liver I cooked it with coconut oil, black pepper, ginger, garlic, hot pepper sauce, and tamari. I added more tamari after cooking it and it was palatable. I'll let you know if I lunch comes back up later.
I did this once recently and it was fine. I wound up marinating it all day in lemon juice and then dredged it in arrowroot (i'm grain free) and sauteed it, and dd and I both lived. I can't say from the taste, though, I'm not a huge liver fan, I mostly eat it because I know I should.
post #92 of 198
Thread Starter 
I've eaten liver in such a state too Ruth. And then MLW and I met a guy who ate it green.
post #93 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsCathMamma View Post
What a good idea. I will have to get some! Can you get it on its own (we use whats left in the can after pineapples)?
yes you can. regular grocery stores sell it in little tin cans, which tastes funky to me. trader joe's sells it in a large bottle.
post #94 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
yes you can. regular grocery stores sell it in little tin cans, which tastes funky to me. trader joe's sells it in a large bottle.
Supermarkets also sell pineapple juice in big tin cans. I got quite a few from WIC when we got WIC (and we still have about 3 cans left, plus a dozen apple juices in the freezer, even though DS turned 5 last month.)
post #95 of 198
Just checking in. I'm eating only an ounce or so (???) of pastured organic liver every other day or some NY if I don't have liver available. Its been chicken or duck livers only so far because that is I had chicken livers in my freezer and then we ate duck for Thanksgiving and dd and I fought over the giblets I do have to say I'm actually having a lot of energy this last week but I don't know if it is just a coincedence. I'm out of liver right now and the roads are too icy for me to drive anywhere, so I'll have to wait until maybe Saturday to get some more. I'm using NY in the meantime, which I really like, but I'm not sure if it is as good as BY.

Looking forward to getting some more liver and possibly trying more each time. I am going to buy some for my dd too, as she seems to really love it and I figure it has to be good stuff for her! She has celiac, learning issues and has always been small, so when she likes a food like that I just go with it.
post #96 of 198
I want to get started and take brewer's yeast, now this may be a crazy question but if you have problems with yeast will taking BY add to the problem, or should I look elsewhere for my B vits. Thanks.
post #97 of 198
I saw my rheumatologist today, and he discussed the results of last month's lab tests.

I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus, my liver enzymes are still a little high, and I'm slightly anemic (or at least I was last month.)

Anything I should be eating besides liver to help with anemia?
post #98 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I saw my rheumatologist today, and he discussed the results of last month's lab tests.

I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus, my liver enzymes are still a little high, and I'm slightly anemic (or at least I was last month.)

Anything I should be eating besides liver to help with anemia?
Well this isn't exactly food, but my sil who is anemic takes a supplement called Floradix (at the hfs). She says it isn't as harsh as other forms of iron. Also if you cook with cast iron that helps. Glad your other tests came back fine.
post #99 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
yes you can. regular grocery stores sell it in little tin cans, which tastes funky to me. trader joe's sells it in a large bottle.
I tried it with the tj's juice tonight. Pretty ick, but with the straw, I was able to get it down without too much trauma and halfway enjoyed pineapply part. Wouldn't choose it for refreshment, but will take it over ppd any day (with liver its a toss-up ).
post #100 of 198
well I have been doing good with my desiccated liver. I can tell a difference in the energy I have now. I have been taking them for about 3 weeks. For a couple of days I forgot them and I could majorly tell. DH has even noticed a difference in my moods. He had thought I had gone back on my zoloft
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › B vitamin challenge: Brewer's Yeast and Liver products