Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
What about linseed oil?
The problem with real food-type oils is that they will go rancid, eventually, which means sticky with that icky smell. Linseed oil, if food-grade, will probably do that. _Boiled_ Linseed oil, from the hardware store, is often not boiled but treated with solvents to make it act as if it were boiled. It's pretty nasty stuff as far as human consumption, so read the label really carefully. Mineral oil is a petrochemical, and not necessarily something you'd want to consume, but isn't widely considered to be poisonous. But do your reading, and make your own choices.
If you're concerned about the mineral oil, the beeswax works fairly well - go with that.
If you're less concerned, Rowdypea's beeswax/mineral oil blend is a beautiful finish, and it takes about half a teaspoon or less to finish an animal. By the time you wipe it off, there's probably even less on the critter. So that's a total of 1/4 teaspoon on the animal, or 1/8th teaspoon of mineral oil. Should a child chew and suck at great length on one (and I worked hard on those, he better not) he _might_ be able to absorb a quarter of that. So there would be about 1/32nd of a teaspoon of mineral oil absorbed by the child.
And I'm absolutely positive that we all do whatever we think is best for our children, so everyone can make their own choices! :-)
The husband just now looks over my shoulder and says "Don't you have a toxin-free thanksgiving dinner to be cooking right about now?
Right. Off I go.