or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › I got rid of all my nonstick cookware!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I got rid of all my nonstick cookware!

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
This is part food/health and part decluttering! I had slowly fazed out my nonstick cookware but it was still in my cabinents. Tonight I boxed it all up to give to my sister (she said she knew about nonstick, but she liked it anyway)
No more nonstick fumes in my kitchen and more spacious cabinents for me!
post #2 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
This is part food/health and part decluttering! I had slowly fazed out my nonstick cookware but it was still in my cabinents. Tonight I boxed it all up to give to my sister (she said she knew about nonstick, but she liked it anyway)
No more nonstick fumes in my kitchen and more spacious cabinents for me!
Was it teflon? We have anodized and I've never noticed fumes. What are you using instead?

I'm new to this area of MDC and a bit freaked out by the movie trailer link that was recently posted and am jumping in feet first here.
post #3 of 39
Thread Starter 
Yes teflon-type nonstick. I don't think you can actually smell the fumes. I believe the annodized is the good stuff. I'm using cast iron and plain stainless steel, and some stoneware.
post #4 of 39
Oh good. I came into our marriage with old enamel and cast iron (which hurts my wrist to use frequently) Dh came with scratched teflon, which i quickly made him ditch. We got a nice set of Circulon for our wedding. Dh wants to buy our next cookware from the guy who demos it at the state faire
post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 
Yeah, most of the teflon came with DH too. I was already converted to cast iron. It was a "moving out present" his parents gave him when he moved out of their house a few years back.
post #6 of 39
I love cast-iron pans! They really do become non-stick eventually--my mom's are beautiful!--but DH likes teflon pans and keeps buying it. I'd love to toss out the 2 or 3 teflons that he has, but then he'd just go out and buy more. However, I do have teflon bakeware--that's probably not good for us either
post #7 of 39
We got rid of all of our teflon a year or so ago and haven't looked back since
post #8 of 39
I just scuttled the rest of my Teflon coated bakeware (I never used it anyways) down to my moms. She just wanted something...because she's not really a cook and didn't have anything.
post #9 of 39
We really NEED a cast iron skillet. We just have the Visions glass stuff now, which I love, and is safe, but is decidely NOT non-stick. Occassionally, I'd like to be able to make an omellette or a crepe.

Does anyone have any soapstone stuff? I've heard it's wonderful and non-stick as well, but it's very pricey.
post #10 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbegonias View Post
I just scuttled the rest of my Teflon coated bakeware (I never used it anyways) down to my moms. She just wanted something...because she's not really a cook and didn't have anything.
That's how my sis is. I wasn't using mine so I'm glad to get it out of my way. More room for the Dutch oven!
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
That's how my sis is. I wasn't using mine so I'm glad to get it out of my way. More room for the Dutch oven!
Ooooh, that's what I asked for this Christmas from DH...a lovely new Dutch oven!
post #12 of 39
Has anyone tried the ceramic/titanium blends? I watched a demo with the stuff once, and if it hadn't been for the price tag, I would have picked it up then and there.
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadkitty View Post
Oh good. I came into our marriage with old enamel and cast iron (which hurts my wrist to use frequently) Dh came with scratched teflon, which i quickly made him ditch. We got a nice set of Circulon for our wedding. Dh wants to buy our next cookware from the guy who demos it at the state faire
You might want to double-check them. I am in the process of replacing Circulon anodized-aluminum pans that have a Teflon coating. I thought all Circulon had Teflon, but if they don't, then you're dealing with the exposed aluminum, which is another health issue entirely.
post #14 of 39
i have heard about the teflon thing, but right now, i like my non stick still.

but kudos to cleaning out your cupboards!! i need to get rid of punch bowls etc that are cluttering up one of mine.
post #15 of 39
I love le creuset. Cast iron enamel ware. It's very spendy, but if you get a few pieces every year you eventually have a set.
post #16 of 39
Hello! Just a slight hijack and bump here! I need to replace my scratched teflon frying pan. What should I get instead??? Target has stainless steel on sale...anyone have experience with that? Is it a good non-stick type of surface? TIA!
post #17 of 39
I love my cast iron skillet...and I use it for everything from stir fry to breakfast to pizza.
post #18 of 39
Cast Iron ROCKS! I bought mine a couple of years ago and I LOVE it!
post #19 of 39
I though non stick bakeware was okay because you don't get it as hot as you do when you are frying for instance.
post #20 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntLavender
I though non stick bakeware was okay because you don't get it as hot as you do when you are frying for instance.
The smoke point for frying oil is 190ºC or 375ºF and higher, depending on the oil. If you're frying in oil and it's smoking a little you've at least hit that, probably over 375ºF

I bake bread at 450-500ºF

Quote:
In new tests conducted by a university food safety professor, a generic non-stick frying pan preheated on a conventional, electric stovetop burner reached 736°F in three minutes and 20 seconds, with temperatures still rising when the tests were terminated. A Teflon pan reached 721°F in just five minutes under the same test conditions (See Figure 1), as measured by a commercially available infrared thermometer. DuPont studies show that the Teflon offgases toxic particulates at 446°F. At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene.
Just google "dangers of Teflon, non-stick" and read up

ETA: I found this while working on a water/wetlands school project EPA and DuPont over drinking water near their plant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › I got rid of all my nonstick cookware!