or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › babywearing in an amautik -- photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

babywearing in an amautik -- photos

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
.
post #2 of 27
very cool
post #3 of 27
wow that looks great...did someone make it for you???
post #4 of 27
i cant tell you how jealous i am!!!! the last time i looked at one they were like $400! way out of my reach right now! !

but its gorgeous! and at 2!!! i am so jealous!!! your pix are great!
post #5 of 27
Those are great pics!!!

I'm jealous too <<<<< see, he's green with envy


That would have been so great for my son's first two winters.
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
.
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax View Post
i cant tell you how jealous i am!!!! the last time i looked at one they were like $400! way out of my reach right now! !

but its gorgeous! and at 2!!! i am so jealous!!! your pix are great!
thanks!

yes, very expensive. the fabric was $180, the making was $200, and i will need a fur trim for the hood, and it is at least another $300.

but we are very up north (baffin island) and i just can't have him in my moby under my jacket when the weather gets really cold. and i hope the resale value will be good. i'm hoping maybe to wear him a bit next year,me or my dh, but that will be it.
post #8 of 27
i think they are incredible! absolutely beautiful!
post #9 of 27
I just received one too as a HAND ME ACROSS (well, its more like a pass-along garment)

I haven't gotten to try it yet but I am soooooo excited!

Let me know how it goes!
post #10 of 27
WOW!! I've been looking for a pattern for one for 2 years - anyone got a lead?
post #11 of 27
These are so cool! 'Course I'll never use one seeing as I am in FL! I was wondering though, what is it that holds them up? I would love to see the inside of the coat....hint hint.....wanna post a pic?:
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
These are so cool! 'Course I'll never use one seeing as I am in FL! I was wondering though, what is it that holds them up? I would love to see the inside of the coat....hint hint.....wanna post a pic?:
there is really nothing on the inside of the coat. it is made as a pouch, very roomy (think maternity coat, backwards), and what holds them is the ribbon / belt that i tie around my waist. they can either stand or kneel, or sit cross legged, it is very roomy. max is used to ergo and wraps back carry, so he wants to have his legs extended under my arms, and there is enough room for that. so his bum hangs rather low, as you can see in the photo. most inuit children stand, so their view is much better. max sinks low. it is very comfy for me, though.
post #13 of 27
How pretty!!

I was just searching on them after you posted your photo and found this sweet one:
http://www.parcoursnunavik.com/banqu...&Pg=2&Langue=2

and some more things:
http://www.artbylarisa.com/onlinegal.../myamautik.htm

http://www.sikunews.com/art.html?catid=4&artid=1369
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
WOW!! I've been looking for a pattern for one for 2 years - anyone got a lead?
Well I'm going to try mine out this winter and if its not for me, I can pass it on to you--it really seems like your thing...

The only instructions are that this particular one is not allowed to be sold. It must be past from owner to owner without a financial exchange.

Sound good?
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
Well I'm going to try mine out this winter and if its not for me, I can pass it on to you--it really seems like your thing...

The only instructions are that this particular one is not allowed to be sold. It must be past from owner to owner without a financial exchange.

Sound good?
That would be great, but I'm sure you'll use it Maybe you could send me some pics that show it's construction or how to use it? I still can't quite figure out how they're supposed to work.
post #16 of 27
Someone once gave me a pattern for one when I had dd in Alaska. It was a native elders pattern and there were stipulations to it being passed on to me, a white girl. But I was studying native languages and they saw it fitting.

I don't know if I am allowed to pass it on, I never even made it because I just over the past year learned to do sleeves properly. But I will inquire, look for it and see if I can post it.

Yours is beautiful...I hope you get lots of good wearing with it. I wish I had my parka here with me, I have a beautiful ruff that I made for my parka when I got married. (Today three years ago to my ex husband ). It is tooooo hot in Southern Ontario for a parka and definately a fur ruff. I would love to pass it on!
post #17 of 27
That is soooo neat that they can stand in it! DD would love that, she loves to se the world and in the sitting position, she can't really see all that well! USAmma, those pictures were so cute, especially that first one! That babe was so warm, it looked like his sleeves were rolled up!!! Oh how I wish I lived where it was cold!
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
That would be great, but I'm sure you'll use it Maybe you could send me some pics that show it's construction or how to use it? I still can't quite figure out how they're supposed to work.
I would have a very hard time explaining it without seeing it. I will be passing it on eventually anyway as I am done with my childbearing (unless the Fates have a joke to play on me..)

I will keep you informed!
post #19 of 27
THATS WAY COOL! i have never seen/ heard of those before. I want one now!Or at least some style of coat I cant babywear in!
post #20 of 27
I so wish I had one! I haven't searched extensively for a pattern but maybe I should... Once in a while I'll see a native woman wearing her baby in one of those and it is just so adapted to our climate, I don't know why it hasn't caught on yet...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Babywearing
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › babywearing in an amautik -- photos