or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Childcare providers' tribe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Childcare providers' tribe? - Page 36

post #701 of 733

Hi!

I'm new to the tribe, doing all my homework on opening an in home daycare/preschool.

I have a few questions! I've been reading a few books I found (my library is sadly lacking in the day care info department). I was wondering what your daycare hours are, especially with your own children. I'm wondering if 8 a - 5 or 6 pm would be doable. That would let me get my own kids up in the mornings, have breakfast with them and off to school.

Also, I don't drive. Would that be an issue?

I'm interested in taking on 3 - 5 year olds. I want to save the babies for when I have another one or two of my own in a few years.

Do I have to have any sort of education to have an informal sort of preschool setting? I have tons of books, magazines, websites to pull from.

I just love 3 - 5 year olds. I'd rather not toilet teach younger kiddoes.. I'd consider taking two year olds if they are all ready toilet taught. (I have a 12 year old who is encopretic, so I reaaaalllly don't wanna deal with anymore toilet issues than I have to.)

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but this is all I have for now!

Thank you!!
post #702 of 733
Hi and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losgann View Post
I have a few questions! I've been reading a few books I found (my library is sadly lacking in the day care info department). I was wondering what your daycare hours are, especially with your own children. I'm wondering if 8 a - 5 or 6 pm would be doable. That would let me get my own kids up in the mornings, have breakfast with them and off to school.
My hours are 7-4:30. They started out 6:30-6, but as I gained more experience, I found it easier to find clients that needed the hours I could more comfortably provide. My suggestion is not to try to do a day that is more than 10 hours long, especially if you don't drive. Or to somehow build into your contracts a day off every month or two to allow you to catch up on errands.


Also, I don't drive. Would that be an issue?
I don't drive with the children either. It ties me down a bit. Many parents prefer it because they don't want to have the safety worry about someone else driving with their children. It is a deal-breaker for other parents who need transport to preschool or K. Ymmv.


I'm interested in taking on 3 - 5 year olds. I want to save the babies for when I have another one or two of my own in a few years. It can be done, but ime, there is always more demand for care for babies. In the area I'm in, I could probably run a daycare for 3-5 only right now, since I have experience, but I don't know if I would have found the clients when I first started.

It sounds like you do have older child(ren) of your own, so that experience is definitely an asset.

I think parents would be more attracted to a home daycare for that age range if there were a specific educational program offered.

I have also had a fair number of p/t clients over the years who were SAHMs that were pg with their second child or caring for a newborn and needed a safe, age appropriate program for their older children one or two days a week, but found the 2.5 hour preschool programs around here were just not long enough to give them that break. So a full day in my home daycare was just perfect for them. You might find a niche like that where you live.


Do I have to have any sort of education to have an informal sort of preschool setting? I have tons of books, magazines, websites to pull from.
In your shoes, I might invest in one of the preschool curricula that are advertised on the web (Learning at Home and Beyond here on MDC is a good place to learn more about these)

I have an education in a different field, but am taking distance ed. early childhood education courses right now. Parents like it, and it keeps my brain engaged with what I am doing and helps stave off burnout.



I just love 3 - 5 year olds. I'd rather not toilet teach younger kiddoes.. I'd consider taking two year olds if they are all ready toilet taught. (I have a 12 year old who is encopretic, so I reaaaalllly don't wanna deal with anymore toilet issues than I have to.)

Understandable. I would decide before you get going though, if you are willing to compromise on the `no diapers' rule, just in case you have a slow start with the age you want to work with. You might find what would otherwise be the perfect family to work for, but the 4 yr old has a younger sib in dipes also needing care, for example...
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but this is all I have for now!

Thank you!!
post #703 of 733
Hi everyone! Would anyone be willing to post or PM me a copy of their parent contract? TIA!
post #704 of 733
Aubergine68, tysm for your reply and for being so wonderfully helpful!!
post #705 of 733
I have been MIA but I should have my daycare licence by the end of the week, we are opening July 6th. Just need to get through the building inspector, the licencing inspection, and the fire inspector.
Wish me luck!
post #706 of 733
Yay, Vanessa!

Wishing you luck on all the inspections:

Goodness, I'm kinda glad I am able to deal with an agency and not having to directly do the licensing myself with all the hoops you seem to be having to jump through. Though it also feels a little, like, I'd like to have the license myself instead of being a mere client of the agency who does, ykwim?
post #707 of 733
But at least I don't have to pay an agency!
post #708 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
But at least I don't have to pay an agency!
Actually, my agency fee is $27/mo, and that includes my insurance, and there are no fees taken off parent payments, either... I know most agencies do charge more fees -- mine is run by the county and is more of a social-services kind of focus than a for-profit focus.
post #709 of 733
That isn't bad at all!!!


I am licenced now, just need to get some kids. We are going to do a mail out and put up flyers. Two of my daycare running friends are going to send me referrals too because they are full. Yay!!! So glad to be done all the work of opening and excited to be starting the work of running daycare.
post #710 of 733
Question:

Do you have a separate room in your home devoted to childcare? Do you spend most of your time interacting with and teaching the children, or do you just have them play while you go about your daily business- laundry, cleaning, emails, reading, etc? Or do you have a combination of both?

Do any of you use the time to write/sew/craft for yourself, without the kids' involvement?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to start an Etsy business but I need income in the meantime. If I had another child or two in my home, would it be appropriate to use that time when they are all occupied to work on my craft items that I want to sell?
post #711 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
Question:

Do you have a separate room in your home devoted to childcare?

Do you spend most of your time interacting with and teaching the children, or do you just have them play while you go about your daily business- laundry, cleaning, emails, reading, etc? Or do you have a combination of both?

Do any of you use the time to write/sew/craft for yourself, without the kids' involvement?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to start an Etsy business but I need income in the meantime. If I had another child or two in my home, would it be appropriate to use that time when they are all occupied to work on my craft items that I want to sell?
I care for 3-6 children, depending on the day of the week, including my own two boys.

I have most areas of my home organized in a child-centered way, with toys and activity areas for my own children and daycare children. I could run the daycare entirely out of my kitchen, backyard, and downstairs play area, but sometimes use bedrooms and living rooma as well.

There is another alternative to playing with the children and doing my own thing. I would say I spend most of my time supervising their play while making sure that housekeeping and cooking and personal care and food-growing routines get done for the benefit of all. The younger children, esp, often want to "help" with prepping lunch and snacks, baking bread, washing dishes, etc, and we all set up and clean up play activities together. This does take a lot of time, following through with helping them learn the routines, but it pays off when they are a little older. Laundry, for example ....the kids help me load the washer and I sit on the floor of the playroom to fold while they play around me. In good weather, I take the wet clothes outside and they help me hang to dry. SOmetimes they help with sorting and folding (good motor activities and cognitive), and I get my own children to put their clothes away...it ideally becomes an activity that we do together, not "my own thing".

It is my understanding that free play in a healthy environment, enriched and occasionally supported by adults, in blocks of time an hour long or longer, if possible, is developmentally the best thing that small children could be doing. I do a more structured and "educational" activity time first thing in the morning for the older children, but I don't "teach" the children. The rest of the time, i am there to supervise and support their play, read stories they bring me, do child guidance if they have trouble getting along. I do feel it is my responsibility to be in the same room with them and to be available for what they might need. My insurance wouldn't cover me if a little one in my care got hurt out of my sight, too.

I usually take an hour or so to do my own thing during naptime (like right now, usually browsing online). Sometimes I crochet or knit.

What kind of crafting would you be doing? I would be very concerned about having anything with sharp or dangerous tools --sewing, woodworking -- out around the children. All you need is a moment of distraction to help one child use the potty or something and another enterprising toddler gets into the sewing machine and then you might have an ER visit on your plate.... Or perhaps the child destroys what you are working on out of curiosity....

How does your own child do when mommy is crafting?

In your shoes, I would probably look at taking part timers and focusing fully on childcare on some days and as fully as possible on Etsy on other days.
post #712 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
Question:

Do you have a separate room in your home devoted to childcare? Do you spend most of your time interacting with and teaching the children, or do you just have them play while you go about your daily business- laundry, cleaning, emails, reading, etc? Or do you have a combination of both?

Do any of you use the time to write/sew/craft for yourself, without the kids' involvement?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to start an Etsy business but I need income in the meantime. If I had another child or two in my home, would it be appropriate to use that time when they are all occupied to work on my craft items that I want to sell?
Do you have a separate room in your home devoted to childcare? Do you spend most of your time interacting with and teaching the children, or do you just have them play while you go about your daily business- laundry, cleaning, emails, reading, etc? Or do you have a combination of both?
The whole upper level of my house (which is the main livng area) is for child care. Since I am a licenced daycare, I don't think I could go about doing other stuff while the child played all day. You could probably do that if you were babysitting, not running licenced daycare.

Do any of you use the time to write/sew/craft for yourself, without the kids' involvement? I open in July and No, I don't plan to. Parents are paying me to interact with their kids and do activites, not just feed them and keep them safe. I am also charging $10 a day more than a babysitter.

Edited to ad, that of course I will have to clean and cook while the kids are there....but I wouldn't read a book or craft etc.
post #713 of 733
Woohoo! I think I have my first client! I posted an ad awhile ago Craigslist, and finally got a response that seems like a really good bet! I will be meeting the mother on Thursday, and if things pan out, her 8-month-old daughter will start coming to my house for four days a week, starting on Monday. My daughter (who is 2.5 months old) will have a playmate, too! How cool is that? I'm really excited. My mom's coming down tomorrow to help me tidy up my house and childproof it since this potential client's DD is crawling already.

I want to make up a form for the potential clients to fill out with questions regarding their children's eating and sleeping habits, favorite activities, any medical issues or allergies, and anything they deem very important for me to do or not do concerning their children. Anything I should ask that may be atypical, but that you consider to be important? Also, I want to make up a booklet along with a contract of-sorts that states when payment is expected, sick days, holidays, late fees, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I just need to find at least one (or possibly two) more children to watch besides her, and then I will get to stay home with my daughter and do a job that I truly enjoy! :
post #714 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
I want to make up a form for the potential clients to fill out with questions regarding their children's eating and sleeping habits, favorite activities, any medical issues or allergies, and anything they deem very important for me to do or not do concerning their children. Anything I should ask that may be atypical, but that you consider to be important? Also, I want to make up a booklet along with a contract of-sorts that states when payment is expected, sick days, holidays, late fees, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
:
Some of it is a little young for 8 mo, but these questions are on my child information forms:

To whom can I release your child besides the parents (emergency contacts)?

What child guidance methods do you use or plan to use with your children?

What words does your child use (or do you plan to use with your child) for toileting (ie go wee-wee, etc.)

What is your child's naptime routine at home, and when does your child nap?


I always have parents of infants write out a schedule of when the babe typically eats and sleeps during the day for me to follow starting out. But I plant to feed the child and put them down for naps half-an-hour earlier than the schedule times -- daycare makes them a little hungrier and more tired, I find!

Good luck!
post #715 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Some of it is a little young for 8 mo, but these questions are on my child information forms:

To whom can I release your child besides the parents (emergency contacts)?

What child guidance methods do you use or plan to use with your children?

What words does your child use (or do you plan to use with your child) for toileting (ie go wee-wee, etc.)

What is your child's naptime routine at home, and when does your child nap?


I always have parents of infants write out a schedule of when the babe typically eats and sleeps during the day for me to follow starting out. But I plant to feed the child and put them down for naps half-an-hour earlier than the schedule times -- daycare makes them a little hungrier and more tired, I find!

Good luck!
Thanks so much! I'm interviewing with her tomorrow, so I need all the questions I can think of! I also already have another potential client with a 2-year-old boy and a 6-month-old girl.
post #716 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
Thanks so much! I'm interviewing with her tomorrow, so I need all the questions I can think of! I also already have another potential client with a 2-year-old boy and a 6-month-old girl.
Bet of luck with your interviews!
post #717 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Bet of luck with your interviews!
Thanks!

I got the job! : Starting Monday, I'll be watching one other little girl (aside from my own) who is 8 months old. I think she was really impressed with the questions I asked her, and that I said I will keep a log of all diaper changes, feedings, naps, etc. I asked if she could come a little early Monday to fill out a form for me with emergency contact info, etc., but I think instead I will email it to her. That would be more convenient for her, and then I can just print it out, but also have a hard copy on my computer.

Haven't heard back from the other people as to whether they want to meet or not.
post #718 of 733
I have my first interview tomorrow for an 8 month old too!
post #719 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
I have my first interview tomorrow for an 8 month old too!
Awesome! Good luck!
post #720 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
I have my first interview tomorrow for an 8 month old too!
Good luck! Hope it turns out to be the right fit for everyone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Work from Home Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Childcare providers' tribe?