or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Religious Studies › That weird thing they do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

That weird thing they do - Page 25

post #481 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I often see a bunch of women dressed like this when I go to the laundromat, although they are younger (20-30ish) who wear their hair up.
That sounds like what the Hutterites (Hutterian Bretheren) wear around here, but I think their groups are few and far between (lots in Saskatchewan, Canada, where I live, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world)
post #482 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
That sounds like what the Hutterites (Hutterian Bretheren) wear around here, but I think their groups are few and far between (lots in Saskatchewan, Canada, where I live, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world)
I don't think these folks are Hutterites - the young woman smoke and indulge in serious "petting" with their male SO in the laundromat parking lot - happens every time I see them. Doesn't quite match with the very modest dress!
post #483 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
I have a question and I feel bad asking it but here is goes. What church is it that wears the long straight skirts (usually denim or khaki) and has their hair in a bun (and I swear whenever they gather in public they throw an awesome pot luck). the modesty thread got me thinking about this. And if anyone is a member of this church is there a reason everyone dresses alike? It seems to go beyond modesty and into uniform. is that just coincidence? or is is it expected that you will wear a very specific type of dress and wear your hair a very specific way?
There are Mennonite demoninations around here to which that applies, as well as some Pentacostal ones... I even know Jehovah's Witnesses to whom this would apply (particularly when you're talking about going out in public). To differentiate, I'd look at a) hair coverings (if any) and b) how the children are dressed. In particular, little girls are usually a good marker for which group we're talking about. The Pentacostal church I'm thinking of, the girls would be in dresses from the time they were walking, knee length or longer from about age 4. I can think of a particular Mennonite group where the women all seem to wear denim or khaki skirts all the time and wear their hair in buns; they wear the little coverings that look like doilies and the little girls are dressed modestly (long skirts, long sleeves) but not usually identically to the parents/older sisters. I can also think of a Mennonite group where the little girls *are* dressed just like the mothers.
post #484 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I don't think these folks are Hutterites - the young woman smoke and indulge in serious "petting" with their male SO in the laundromat parking lot - happens every time I see them. Doesn't quite match with the very modest dress!
Do Hutterites have rumspringa (sp)? Because that would completely explain the making out in the parking lot and the smoking. My ILs live in the heart of Amish country, and you can find half-drunk (or very drunk) Amish teenagers driving buggies at two thirty in the morning-- it's actually pretty common on Friday night.
post #485 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Do Hutterites have rumspringa (sp)? Because that would completely explain the making out in the parking lot and the smoking. My ILs live in the heart of Amish country, and you can find half-drunk (or very drunk) Amish teenagers driving buggies at two thirty in the morning-- it's actually pretty common on Friday night.
Well, these folks drive cars and this is in the middle of Chicago!
post #486 of 838
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Amish teenagers, when they turn 16 are permitted (encouraged, even) to experience and explore the outside world before they decide whether or not to join the Amish church. This is also the age when they're first permitted to date. The kids tend to go nuts; drinking, drugs, smoking, sleeping around, all the crazy things that teenagers do. This period is called "rumspringa" (I'm still not sure I'm spelling that right) which is PA Dutch for "running around." The younger kids (16-18) drive buggies because you have to be 18 to get a license without parental consent.

When I asked if Hutterites had rumpspringa, what I meant was, "Do they have a period when older teenagers are permitted/encouraged to explore the outside world?" Not to say that they don't drive or whatnot, but maybe there's a period of time when the kids are sent out to misbehave before they settle down to church life.
post #487 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I even know Jehovah's Witnesses to whom this would apply (particularly when you're talking about going out in public). .
Just wanted to mention that JW women are only required to wear skirts/dresses when going to worship and engaging in witnessing. They wear "normal" (clothes, jeans, sweats, tees, buisness suits, shorts, etc) when going about in their day to day lives. Just on the more modest end (not to tight, low-cut or short). Some older JW women dress, like...well old women so they may wear long skirts and such in day to day life. Although there is a dress code (overall modesty) their certainly is no uniform. Hairstyles run the gamut also.
post #488 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
Just wanted to mention that JW women are only required to wear skirts/dresses when going to worship and engaging in witnessing. They wear "normal" (clothes, jeans, sweats, tees, buisness suits, shorts, etc) when going about in their day to day lives. Just on the more modest end (not to tight, low-cut or short).
This is interesting because I work with two sisters who are JW. Serious enough that one of them often brings religious materials to study at lunch. Seriously unmodest - short, tight skirts and as much boobie as they can get away with showing in the office. Tops usually pretty tight - tight enough that they look very uncomfortable.
post #489 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
This is interesting because I work with two sisters who are JW. Serious enough that one of them often brings religious materials to study at lunch. Seriously unmodest - short, tight skirts and as much boobie as they can get away with showing in the office. Tops usually pretty tight - tight enough that they look very uncomfortable.
Well, there are people who push the limits when its come to dress and grooming in their everyday life, they may very well be two of them. It is definitely looked down upon and I doubt they'd wear them to meetings. But I would be curious to know if they are baptized members of the congregation or if they are studying the bible with witnesses. Many people begin associating with Jehovah's Witnesses or grew up with parents that are witnesses and identify themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses. Many of them study the literature and begin following some principles (no holidays, etc) and then slowly begin to apply the principles to other aspects of their life (dress, personal relationships, and so on). This is hopefully the case wit hthose women. However, the only way to know for sure is to ask if they are baptized, which would come across as pretty rude.
post #490 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
Just wanted to mention that JW women are only required to wear skirts/dresses when going to worship and engaging in witnessing. They wear "normal" (clothes, jeans, sweats, tees, buisness suits, shorts, etc) when going about in their day to day lives. Just on the more modest end (not to tight, low-cut or short). Some older JW women dress, like...well old women so they may wear long skirts and such in day to day life. Although there is a dress code (overall modesty) their certainly is no uniform. Hairstyles run the gamut also.
I didn't mean to say that there was a uniform, simply that I knew Jehovah's Witnesses who dressed this way every single day. I went to school with a couple of them. They only wore long skirts, denim or khaki usually (dressier for concerts and such) and modest clothing. Their parents did likewise, and when I met one girl's older brother and fiancee, she too was dressed this way.
post #491 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
Well, there are people who push the limits when its come to dress and grooming in their everyday life, they may very well be two of them. It is definitely looked down upon and I doubt they'd wear them to meetings. But I would be curious to know if they are baptized members of the congregation or if they are studying the bible with witnesses. Many people begin associating with Jehovah's Witnesses or grew up with parents that are witnesses and identify themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses. Many of them study the literature and begin following some principles (no holidays, etc) and then slowly begin to apply the principles to other aspects of their life (dress, personal relationships, and so on). This is hopefully the case wit hthose women. However, the only way to know for sure is to ask if they are baptized, which would come across as pretty rude.
I do know they dress modestly for services. One sister had a very nice picture of her and her sister dressed up on her desk. Upon commenting on the picture, I was told they were dressed up for church (just below knee-length dresses). I don't know about the baptized part, but they both refer to themselves as JW. I believe the family is JW as well.
post #492 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
That sounds like what the Hutterites (Hutterian Bretheren) wear around here, but I think their groups are few and far between (lots in Saskatchewan, Canada, where I live, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world)

We have a huge Hutterite community here. These are definitely not the Hutterites.

no doilies. just the buns which would rule out the Mennonites as i am pretty sure they cover..

i think it is pentecostal holiness after digging around a bit.
post #493 of 838
My uncle is pastor of a Pentecostal group/parish, and the women look like what was described. They don't always wear their hair in buns; I think it is just comfortable and convenient, as most have hair below their waists. And as to the denim or khaki, I think those are generally the most common type of skirt that is made to be ankle length. They are not allowed to cut their hair, wear make-up, and must wear long dresses/skirts and modest tops.
post #494 of 838
Yep sounds Pentecostal to me most likely. I grew up going to my friend's church and there is a "standard look" more or less.
post #495 of 838
Very interesting thread.
I have a question for Muslims (if there are Muslims here). At my workplace, about 75% of employees are Muslims, but I never dared ask such a question, I don't know if it's offensive or not.
Here is my question:
Why do Muslim women cover their head? Why do they cover their face? Can they choose not to? How old should they be when they have to start wearing the hijab?
OK, it's more than a question, I hope you don't mind.
I'm Orthodox as well, but I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the ladies here who already answered all the questions on Orthodoxy.
post #496 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by transylvania_mom View Post
Very interesting thread.
I have a question for Muslims (if there are Muslims here). At my workplace, about 75% of employees are Muslims, but I never dared ask such a question, I don't know if it's offensive or not.
Here is my question:
Why do Muslim women cover their head? Why do they cover their face? Can they choose not to? How old should they be when they have to start wearing the hijab?
OK, it's more than a question, I hope you don't mind.
I'm Orthodox as well, but I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the ladies here who already answered all the questions on Orthodoxy.
It's totally not offensive... BTW. Absolutely normal questions.

Muslim women cover their head both out of modesty as well as to identify themselves as Muslim. It used to be that most women covered their head... be they Christian, Jewish, or Muslim. Remember how no lady (or gentleman) would go out without their hat?? Same thing.

People don't wear hijabs in their own homes, though... as long as there are only relatives/family members there. If there are strangers there, then they would wear their hijab.

There's a debate on whether or not it is required. A lot centers around certain verses in the Qur'an... some different ahadith (sayings/traditions of the Prophet)... as well as whether or not it existed before the time of the Prophet. It seems to have gotten a lot more common/popular in the past 5-10 years in the Muslim and non-Muslim world, though.

As for covering the face, there are those who do that to immitate the wives of the Prophet Muhammad. It's also a further level of modesty... as we believe that one's beauty should be reserved for one's husband (and family) to look at... not just anybody on the street.

One can always choose not too.. although in certain countries (Saudi Arabia and Iran come to mind) that choice does not exist. In the Muslim countries I've visited (and in my area), it's usually something girls look forward too... because they want to imitate their Moms... it means that they're growing up... as well as it's a total fashion thing these days.

The general consensus is that a girl does not have to wear hijab until she reaches puberty. Some girls wear it younger, though. Some girls/women never wear it. People who convert to Islam may never wear it... or may gradually adopt it. It really varies.

All Muslim women, whether they wear hijab on the outside or not, do cover their heads when they pray, though. I've never seen a debate that questions the validity of that.

Hope this helps! Men and women both have modesty requirements in Islam, BTW. They are both supposed to dress modestly... so a Muslim man would never wear shorts or a bathing suit that were not knee length, etc. Both are told to lower their gaze as well.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in with better answers.
post #497 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
I'm not Catholic but I asked this one before and a Catholic friend answered it-- it's a form of mourning because Jesus was crucified on a Friday. I think it's all meat and poultry except fish, but since Vatican II in the 1960s it only applies to Fridays in Lent.
ACTRULLY the Catholic definition of meat is the flesh of a warm blooded anamal., but there are some amamals your never aloud to eat but you need to look into the bible to find out what all I do remember your not aloud to eat pig, catfish, lobster, snake.
post #498 of 838
thank you umsami, very interesting and educational post.
Both my grandmothers and I most women in my grandparents' village use to cover their head, and they are all Christians!
Take care!
post #499 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
ACTRULLY the Catholic definition of meat is the flesh of a warm blooded anamal., but there are some amamals your never aloud to eat but you need to look into the bible to find out what all I do remember your not aloud to eat pig, catfish, lobster, snake.
Never allowed to eat according to Catholicism? Or just accoeding to the Tanakh/Old Testament? I was raised Baptist and now am Torah-Observant Messianic and we don't eat the unclean animals according to Leviticus (pork, shellfish, animals slaughtered improperly, etc. etc.) but I wasn't aware of any Christian denomination (except SDA) who did any of that stuff. Maybe I'm just reading this wrong...

Kristi
post #500 of 838
I have never known any Catholics to keep kosher either. Every Catholic I know eats pork.

when Orthodox fast shrimp and lobster (maybe) are some of the only meats they can have (invertabrates). It seems logical that catholics would allow similar things.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Religious Studies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Religious Studies › That weird thing they do