or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › Took a walk on the Stroller Side...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Took a walk on the Stroller Side... - Page 3

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
I disagree. I've BTDT and had absolutely no issues. Never had a child that cried and wouldn't walk, never needed a back-up....Why would I try to pull a wagon or push a stroller that no one would use in the first place? And, then there would be fights about who got to ride and would just undermine the entire experience.

I think today's parents underestimate what children are capable of doing.
I've witnessed this on many occasions--the child who wouldn't walk/cried-- including my little brother on a couple of memorable occasions. It's not an unusual phenomenon at all. I guess I just think being prepared is a better plan. Isn't it a bit odd that children in your care would never refuse to walk but would fight over who got ride? Isn't that underestimating childrens' ability to play fair with each other?

But then I've never had a fight over who gets to ride--taking turns has always worked fine, so I guess everyone's experience is different.
post #42 of 65
Quote:
I've witnessed this on many occasions--the child who wouldn't walk/cried-- including my little brother on a couple of memorable occasions. It's not an unusual phenomenon at all.
I never said it was. Sadly, in this day and age, it is quite a familiar observation.
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed View Post
Isn't it a bit odd that children in your care would never refuse to walk but would fight over who got ride?
No. Why would that be odd? It is impossible for 6 children to ride in one stroller, and it would slow us down and be a waste of energy. The kids would spend their time 'waiting for their turn', rather than enjoying walking.
post #44 of 65
Fair enough... you are right..... they COULD walk!( and do at this point) But that would also mean that it takes four hours to get to the corner store and back for that onion I needed for dinner! (an hour before we need to get somthing into our belly!) And I would be doing unnessisary coaxing to get them moving in the right direction.
post #45 of 65
I never used a stroller much with a baby that young. I have to agree however that they are very useful when you walk instead of drive. Thirty blocks or more is a long way for a little one to walk by themselves. I would walk a lot with my baby in a sling and the toddler in the stroller.

I think I got a few strange looks when I turned up at an AP playdate with a stroller, but I had walked there when people who lived closer drove and couldn't wear their babies on the way either.

Of course most children would prefer to be held but there are occasions (commuting, sibling, mother's sore back, time constraints) when a stroller has it's place and adds value to the outing. My two year old simply will not walk, she always wants to be carried. I can barely get her to walk from the bus stop let alone the 18 blocks from her brother's school.
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post


Geesh, what are the boards coming to when you can't come on the
BABYWEARING BOARD

and post a
HUMOROUS THREAD
about how trying out a stroller opened your eyes to a different POV without having to post a dang disclaimer "Sorry if this offends stroller using parents, etc. etc."


OP: once I got into the babywearing love with my 4th, I tried putting him in a stroller like I used to with my older kids... it felt SO weird to me!!! So I know where you're coming from.

FYI: when my sturdy heavy then 3yo DS broke his leg while I was 24 weeks pregnant, you better believe I used a stroller to cart him around. I'm only 5' and just lifting him onto the toilet, into bed, and into the stroller was probably more than I "should have" lifted him. I'm not anti-stroller. So you don't have to send me hate mail if you think strollers are the best thing since sliced bread.
:

Ya know, I miss my stroller...it's sitting in storage somewhere....

it came in really handy....

....i loaded it up with the dirty laundry, and carted it down to the building's laundry room to do laundry, and carted it back with clean clothes....

...my monkey would be tied securely to my back, by the way.
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsMum View Post
For me its funny, when she's in her wrap she likes to face outward, and although I get to hold her hands and kiss her head, I don't get to see her face. My stroller has a reversible handle on it, so right now she faces me, so I can see her and we makes faces and talk about what's going on around her and I get to watch her. So for me, its hard, I really like both methods for different reasons, but in your situation I can see what you mean. I would hate my stroller if I couldn;t see her. (I've got a bumbleride flyer)
STROLLER:
SAME HERE!
I HAVE A BUZZ STROLLER WITH REVERSIBLE SEAT.
FOR A STROLLER I WOULD NOT GO ANY OTHER WAY, I HAVE TO SEE MY BABY GIRL!
I HAVE NOT USE IT MUCH SINCE DD IS BORN BUT IT'S HERE IF WE NEED IT.

BABY WEARING:
Today i went with DD and DH for a walk (1h30 minutes), i was able to see her when she was sleeping, making sure that her face was covered from the cold at all time. Could see when she was moving her face and lips for breastfeeding (un-zip my coat for quick on the go feeding or suthing until we get home)--I NEED TO FIND A NURSING COAT, cause it's cold in Canada!! Anyhow...

Tonight, i did my christmas tree, same thing, she was with me (sleeping, dancing, laughing, feeding ect...). I LOVE WEARING MY 3 1/2 MONTH OLD BABY GIRL!
WE ARE MAKING MEMORIES TO SHARE!
post #48 of 65
STROLLER:
SAME HERE!
I HAVE A BUZZ STROLLER WITH REVERSIBLE SEAT.
FOR A STROLLER I WOULD NOT GO ANY OTHER WAY, I HAVE TO SEE MY BABY GIRL!
I HAVE NOT USE IT MUCH SINCE DD IS BORN BUT IT'S HERE IF WE NEED IT.

BABY WEARING:
Today i went with DD and DH for a walk (1h30 minutes), i was able to see her when she was sleeping, making sure that her face was covered from the cold at all time. Could see when she was moving her face and lips for breastfeeding (un-zip my coat for quick on the go feeding or suthing until we get home)--I NEED TO FIND A NURSING COAT, cause it's cold in Canada!! Anyhow...

Tonight, i did my christmas tree, same thing, she was with me (sleeping, dancing, laughing, feeding ect...). I LOVE WEARING MY 3 1/2 MONTH OLD BABY GIRL!
WE ARE MAKING MEMORIES TO SHARE!
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely View Post
the only way I can wear dd for lond walks now is on my back in the ergo, and I can't see her or talk to her.....

This is how we do it too. Although I can still interact and talk to her. And sometimes she'll lean sideways to give me a kiss LOVE our ERGO
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
I think ya'll are being a little harsh on the poor woman. She was just trying to make a joke. If you know you are doing the right thing for your situation, then there's no need to be so defensive. She was just sharing how using a stroller made her feel and everyone is jumping all over her. And is this not the babywearing forum? Getting all defensive about your stroller use on the babywearing board is a teensy bit like going to the lactivist forum and posting about being offended because breastfeeding did not work for you.
:

I have 4 strollers of which I use none. DH uses the jogging stroller although he did comment that he wished there was a jogging carrier.. one that wouldn't jostle DD so much. I generally will bring out the stroller when I need to be carrying things other than DD. It has come in handy to carry all my shopping packages, plus the diaper bag (even though we don't really pack a lot now) and other miscellaneous items. I believe that because I've been BW since DD was little, she's very confident especially when I do let her ride in the stroller. She'll call out to everyone "HI!" and smile and basically make people fall in love with her. But she knows that when she needs, I have my carrier ready.

It's just a convenience thing for me. I don't even know why I still have a stroller in the trunk. It only takes up space. I find it so much faster to just grab my girl and pop her in the our carrier. Easy peasy. :
post #51 of 65
We have a stroller that is usefull for carrying the diaperbag and other baby paraphenalia. I hate that I can't see her, so she very very rarely sits in it. DH used to use it when he takes DD and the dog out for their morning walk, but now he uses the wrap.

We are buying a Kolcraft Contour Options jogging stroller, with the reversible seat. That way, either I can wear peanut and DD can ride in the stroller, or DD can walk and Peanut can ride, or DD walks, I wear Peanut and the stroller carries the diaper bag, sippy, coats etc.
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyloc View Post
STROLLER:
SAME HERE!
I HAVE A BUZZ STROLLER WITH REVERSIBLE SEAT.
FOR A STROLLER I WOULD NOT GO ANY OTHER WAY, I HAVE TO SEE MY BABY GIRL!
I HAVE NOT USE IT MUCH SINCE DD IS BORN BUT IT'S HERE IF WE NEED IT.

BABY WEARING:
Today i went with DD and DH for a walk (1h30 minutes), i was able to see her when she was sleeping, making sure that her face was covered from the cold at all time. Could see when she was moving her face and lips for breastfeeding (un-zip my coat for quick on the go feeding or suthing until we get home)--I NEED TO FIND A NURSING COAT, cause it's cold in Canada!! Anyhow...

Tonight, i did my christmas tree, same thing, she was with me (sleeping, dancing, laughing, feeding ect...). I LOVE WEARING MY 3 1/2 MONTH OLD BABY GIRL!
WE ARE MAKING MEMORIES TO SHARE!

I just looked up the Buzz stroller. I didn't see any storage in it...is there any in the back? Is it easy to get in and out of the car?
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed View Post
Personally I hate the way many women use strollers. They are the armored vehicles in the mommy wars. Several times over the summer when we were in crowded, touristy spots, and now in malls, women with strollers would order me out of their way.

You all know that passive-agressive, smiling-sweet "excuse me"--as she jams the stroller into your leg. And that demanding expectation that we all get out of her way--she's got THE STROLLER.

I thought that that sort of asualt would end once I had DD. If anything is more vicious now that I'm wearing a baby. It truly is about being in possession of THE STROLLER and has nothing to do with the baby. Somehow the stroller symbolizes their entitlement. Weird.

And no, I have no problem making way for a women with kids, with a stroller, whatever. But seriously, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced thr stroller-shove, the disdainful and impatient looks, and the petulant demandness of the whole encounter.

Oh my gosh YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at the mall yesterday (DS in the ergo in front, diaper backpack on my back) and we were great. We could move, my hands were free, he was happy. And there were all these women with strollers. EVERYWHERE. Blocking aisles and entrances to stores, refusing to move, etc etc etc. Drove me insane. And while I got many compliments from child-free strangers, I got some weird looks from the "stroller brigade."

However, I do like using it for walks in good weather. DS likes to nap in it - I think the fresh air/movement combo knocks him right out - and if we walk all the way to the grocery store I can put the groceries in the basket for the walk back. But using it in a mall/store/errands? No way, it is just too much of a hassle.
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Personally I hate the way many women use strollers. They are the armored vehicles in the mommy wars. Several times over the summer when we were in crowded, touristy spots, and now in malls, women with strollers would order me out of their way.

You all know that passive-agressive, smiling-sweet "excuse me"--as she jams the stroller into your leg. And that demanding expectation that we all get out of her way--she's got THE STROLLER.

I thought that that sort of asualt would end once I had DD. If anything is more vicious now that I'm wearing a baby. It truly is about being in possession of THE STROLLER and has nothing to do with the baby. Somehow the stroller symbolizes their entitlement. Weird.

And no, I have no problem making way for a women with kids, with a stroller, whatever. But seriously, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced thr stroller-shove, the disdainful and impatient looks, and the petulant demandness of the whole encounter
: That post was hysterical! Personally I hate strollers and I only use them if I have to. When we go out as a family, I wear a baby, dh wears a baby, and our 3 year old walks. We do use the stroller on walks to the park, around the neighborhood, etc. but that is about it. I especially despise seeing newborns in strollers. Why do 7 lb babies need such huge contraptions to carry them around? Wear your baby, mama! :
post #55 of 65
I have a stroller but I rarely use it. I have back problems so if my back is out I use the stroller, 2 year olds are heavy, but I would rather wrap her anyday. If it's someplace close though she walks.
post #56 of 65
On the topic of some people expecting others to get out of the way when they wield their mammoth strollers (and I am definitely not against strollers, I use them, just don't try to run people down with them)--

I recently saw a onesie at Old Navy that had a little hedgehog on it and then it said "sidewalk hog" on it. I thought, "that's not a good thing, is it?"
post #57 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post


Geesh, what are the boards coming to when you can't come on the
BABYWEARING BOARD

and post a
HUMOROUS THREAD
about how trying out a stroller opened your eyes to a different POV without having to post a dang disclaimer "Sorry if this offends stroller using parents, etc. etc."


OP: once I got into the babywearing love with my 4th, I tried putting him in a stroller like I used to with my older kids... it felt SO weird to me!!! So I know where you're coming from.

FYI: when my sturdy heavy then 3yo DS broke his leg while I was 24 weeks pregnant, you better believe I used a stroller to cart him around. I'm only 5' and just lifting him onto the toilet, into bed, and into the stroller was probably more than I "should have" lifted him. I'm not anti-stroller. So you don't have to send me hate mail if you think strollers are the best thing since sliced bread.
Thanks, and thanks to the other ladies who piped up in a similar vein. I actually haven't been back to this thread in a while because I was like DANG, what a trainwreck, who needs this drama? But I popped in and am glad to see a few people got my intention.

For the record, I'm not really "anti-strollerist" in any serious kind of way. I was describing my feelings after one experience, and was mostly feeling all giddy and "yay babywearing!" which I thought would be OK in the babywearing forum. But as I said in my original post, I do think I'll be ready, and DS will be ready, for more strollering in the future- when he's big enough that he's hard to carry long distances, and mature enough that he's more psyched to check out the world and feels more comfortable outside of the safety zone of my arms. And I'll still use my stroller occasionally when needed, like if I want to go shopping and it's too hard to carry stuff and also carry DS. Did I not say that in the original post? Well, I'm saying it now. As someone said above, whatever works. Babywearing works for me and DS right now, 9 times out of 10. I'm sure this will change as time goes on- the only thing constant with kids is change, right?
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
But as I said in my original post, I do think I'll be ready, and DS will be ready, for more strollering in the future- when he's big enough that he's hard to carry long distances, and mature enough that he's more psyched to check out the world and feels more comfortable outside of the safety zone of my arms.
If you plan to do that, you should regularly practice using the stroller from time to time. I NEVER used the stroller throughout my son's first year, and whenever I try to use it now, I can't steer! The stroller goes in all directions except the one I want. I get even more strange looks pushing a stroller than I do babywearing. I recently started walking for exercise; I thought it would be easier to walk faster if I pushed the stroller, but after 16 months of babywearing I actually walk faster using a carrier than a stroller.
post #59 of 65
To the OP I think you need to return your stroller and do some stroller research.
I love to wear my DD. I also love my rear facing stroller (bug-a-boo). When my DD was a newborn we used the bassinette attachment and if we were going into the city for the day it was great to have a clean place to change her dp and she liked to lay down and have some play time with her rattle. I personally find that my DD enjoys the stroller in moderation, for example on a hike she loves to be able to lay down and look up at the trees something she can’t do if I am holding her.
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
Thanks, and thanks to the other ladies who piped up in a similar vein. I actually haven't been back to this thread in a while because I was like DANG, what a trainwreck, who needs this drama? But I popped in and am glad to see a few people got my intention.

For the record, I'm not really "anti-strollerist" in any serious kind of way. I was describing my feelings after one experience, and was mostly feeling all giddy and "yay babywearing!" which I thought would be OK in the babywearing forum. But as I said in my original post, I do think I'll be ready, and DS will be ready, for more strollering in the future- when he's big enough that he's hard to carry long distances, and mature enough that he's more psyched to check out the world and feels more comfortable outside of the safety zone of my arms. And I'll still use my stroller occasionally when needed, like if I want to go shopping and it's too hard to carry stuff and also carry DS. Did I not say that in the original post? Well, I'm saying it now. As someone said above, whatever works. Babywearing works for me and DS right now, 9 times out of 10. I'm sure this will change as time goes on- the only thing constant with kids is change, right?

p.s. anyone who uses a stroller any time for any reason is the DEVIL and should have their kids snatched by social services.
At about 12 months we almost stopped the stroller all together (except on hikes) because my babe is a stroller escape artist. She is 14 months and about 30 pounds and we go every were in the sutemi carrier. Actually it's nice because she is such a go go go babe I actually get to contain her for a few hours.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Babywearing
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › Took a walk on the Stroller Side...