or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe-December
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut Tribe-December - Page 10

post #181 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Those who make coconut kefir, is this b/c you arent doing dairy? If you were would you do dairy instead? That is, do you get any more benefits probiotically from dairy vs. alternate milk kefir?
I'm not doing it because I have to get some grains. I'm not rushing on that though because I'm personally not a huge fan of kefir-I much prefer yogurt and even that is a chore to eat.

We do coconut based yogurt because we cannot do dairy in any form. If we could do dairy I'd likely stick with the coconut, but I would like to have some butter! I've just never been a big advocate of humans eating dairy, but that's just my own personal issue. Many people experience healing with it.
post #182 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Those who make coconut kefir, is this b/c you arent doing dairy? If you were would you do dairy instead? That is, do you get any more benefits probiotically from dairy vs. alternate milk kefir?
Our experience has been that the dairy kefir is more healing. My husband says there is a HUGE difference for him, and I must say that for myself (I can't do the dairy), the water kefir has not helped as much as I has hoped. My understanding is that milk kefir has far more good bugs due to a symbiotic relationship betwween the kefir cultures and the good bugs already present in milk. I have a strong feeling that I need the milk kefir to heal, but can't have it because babe, and I suppose therefore me, can't tolerate it. :
post #183 of 395
ff,
I'm going to post a ? for you in SCD chefs.:
post #184 of 395
rash on her tummy allergy or other?

DD has a rash on her tummy. Like heat rash but she hasn't been overheated. She is just getting over a viral infection that had it's own rash and this is similar but not the same (and in a new spot).

Could this be an allergic reaction to something or is it more likely a viral rash. We had sausages for dinner last night and I don't know all the spices in them but I think they were scd legal at least. This morning we had some oatmeal. We eat oatmeal 1-4x a week or so just for the past few weeks. So far it hasn't caused any problems but today she is also acting like she had an allergen. Yesterday for breakfast she had sausages and then complained (for the first time ever) that her tummy was hurting. When she got adjusted by the chiro that afternoon she said that the part of her back that was out of whack wasn't the normal part and it was connected to her digestion/stomach.

I'm thinking I need to get dd allergy tested. She has begun having more allergic type reactions. She had a bright red rash on her face the other day and I have no idea what caused it but it sure seemed to be an allergic reaction. Now the fun of finding a good pediatric allergist.
post #185 of 395
Firefaery-

We are not eating the best. DH and I are both exhausted grad students *trying* to avoid sending DD to daycare or get into debt over our heads. So we parent and go to school (he works also) in shifts. We eat almost entirely organic meat, my parent's raise grass fed beef and lamb. Our veggie intake is mostly frozen from grocery store and then steamed. We eat whole grain for the most part. We have begun to limit dairy. I have a identified milk (and corn) sensitivity and have almost terrible cravings for dairy. I was on WIC during entire pregnancy and 1st year of BF so we had alot around. I induge in Coffee and Diet coke during the two days a week I attend school b/c I start my day at 5am and it ends around 11pm. I don't want to deny my daughter health but we are broke and tired. I'm a recovered bulimic so I do fear regimenting my eating. I'm just afraid I can't do "it all" what would be most beneficial?
post #186 of 395
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
rash on her tummy allergy or other?

DD has a rash on her tummy. Like heat rash but she hasn't been overheated. She is just getting over a viral infection that had it's own rash and this is similar but not the same (and in a new spot).

Could this be an allergic reaction to something or is it more likely a viral rash. We had sausages for dinner last night and I don't know all the spices in them but I think they were scd legal at least. This morning we had some oatmeal. We eat oatmeal 1-4x a week or so just for the past few weeks. So far it hasn't caused any problems but today she is also acting like she had an allergen. Yesterday for breakfast she had sausages and then complained (for the first time ever) that her tummy was hurting. When she got adjusted by the chiro that afternoon she said that the part of her back that was out of whack wasn't the normal part and it was connected to her digestion/stomach.

I'm thinking I need to get dd allergy tested. She has begun having more allergic type reactions. She had a bright red rash on her face the other day and I have no idea what caused it but it sure seemed to be an allergic reaction. Now the fun of finding a good pediatric allergist.
We can start our own "I've been trying to heal the gut for months now and my kid is getting worse" club:
post #187 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxclayborn View Post
Firefaery-

We are not eating the best. DH and I are both exhausted grad students *trying* to avoid sending DD to daycare or get into debt over our heads. So we parent and go to school (he works also) in shifts. We eat almost entirely organic meat, my parent's raise grass fed beef and lamb. Our veggie intake is mostly frozen from grocery store and then steamed. We eat whole grain for the most part. We have begun to limit dairy. I have a identified milk (and corn) sensitivity and have almost terrible cravings for dairy. I was on WIC during entire pregnancy and 1st year of BF so we had alot around. I induge in Coffee and Diet coke during the two days a week I attend school b/c I start my day at 5am and it ends around 11pm. I don't want to deny my daughter health but we are broke and tired. I'm a recovered bulimic so I do fear regimenting my eating. I'm just afraid I can't do "it all" what would be most beneficial?
Sorry I wasn't more clear...what are you feeding your dd?
post #188 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
We can start our own "I've been trying to heal the gut for months now and my kid is getting worse" club:
Sadly I should be in the club too.
post #189 of 395
How many of you who feel your dc's aren't getting any better are still doing dairy?
post #190 of 395
We haven't done dairy since August and I'm considering trying goat diary again made into yogurt to see if that will help dd. I can't get her to eat more than a spoonful of the coconut yogurt but she always ate the cow and goat yogurt willingly.
post #191 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
How many of you who feel your dc's aren't getting any better are still doing dairy?
Have not touched dairy since August. Considering trying coconut yogurt again, Was off all coconut for a while, and have started up very slowly with CO. I am thinking about ordering custom probiotics and making yogurt out of that. Question is do I order the probiotic for myself or for DS? (I can only afford 1 right now)I know that around here people keep saying 'concentrate on healing yourself first.'

DS no longer spits up, that is better. But his eczema has gotten worse since I started.
post #192 of 395

Allergy Appt on Monday for DS

Please give me input on what I should try to address with the pediatric allergist. Our first appt is on Monday and it is a military hospital.

HOw much do I tell them about what diet I have been following and what I have been doing for DS?

What tests should I ask for?
post #193 of 395
Firefaery- sorry its finals and my brains not working well

She nurses anywhere from 4-8 times a day. Breakfast is typically egg, Whole wheat toast, and a baby grain cereal made with water and natural apple sauce. Lunch is typically beans, tofu, and leftover vegetables from the night before. Dinner is what we are eating but she typically doesn't eat much: Today is was a Tablespoon of tofu and a bite of potatoes (with milk in them) and rice cereal. She typically snacks on multi grain crackers, nutri grain bars, cheerios, or graham crackers. She drinks thickened water or rice milk.
post #194 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Please give me input on what I should try to address with the pediatric allergist. Our first appt is on Monday and it is a military hospital.

HOw much do I tell them about what diet I have been following and what I have been doing for DS?

What tests should I ask for?
Well, I kept quiet about my diet and supplements for the most part, and I tried not to bring up phrases like "allergy load" or "leaky gut" and such, until I had a feel for him. I actually had decided that he wasn't going to be very receptive when I accidentally slipped up and said something about "allergy load" and he totally gave me this condescending speech. He also was very emphatic about how allergies are just "bad genetics" and nothing more. Grrrr.

I didn't get the feeling he would have been open to IgG testing either, so we just did the skin prick. From what I understand, the skin prick and RAST blood test (both IgE testing) have the same accuracy rate (which apparently isn't very high), so one or the other isn't necessarily better. Personally, I would like to have had more substances tested, which is how RAST is superior, imo (can test lots of substances with one blood draw). He only did 8 skin pricks, the major 8 on the pediatric panel, which did *not* include nuts or fish. He was very disinclined to do a blood draw on a baby/toddler (not that I love the idea either).

Now that we've eliminated our major allergens (corn and dairy, but also soy, nuts and fish, for good measure), others are becoming more obvious (mostly fruits). If I liked the guy, I would go back to test for the ones that have me concerned, but since I don't, I think I'll just have to figure it out for myself.

Sorry, I'm rambling! I hope you have a really, really good experience. Good luck with the appt.
post #195 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxclayborn View Post
Firefaery- sorry its finals and my brains not working well

She nurses anywhere from 4-8 times a day. Breakfast is typically egg, Whole wheat toast, and a baby grain cereal made with water and natural apple sauce. Lunch is typically beans, tofu, and leftover vegetables from the night before. Dinner is what we are eating but she typically doesn't eat much: Today is was a Tablespoon of tofu and a bite of potatoes (with milk in them) and rice cereal. She typically snacks on multi grain crackers, nutri grain bars, cheerios, or graham crackers. She drinks thickened water or rice milk.
Okay. Well, you are not going to like what I would suggest, but here it is: If it were me in your situation I would absolutely not think twice about eliminating gluten, dairy and soy. I may even think about egg. Just to see how it goes. Those are all very common allergens and many people see a huge turnaround with them gone. I would say that you may want to do it for around 6 weeks and see what has changed. I know it's never fun to do it, but if you were interested in finding out more (both about why to do it and what you could sub. with) there are many mamas to help you through it.

You said you have already thought about the dairy. I hope this isn't too overwhelming for you. Have you had a chance to read the cheat sheet?
post #196 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Have not touched dairy since August. Considering trying coconut yogurt again, Was off all coconut for a while, and have started up very slowly with CO. I am thinking about ordering custom probiotics and making yogurt out of that. Question is do I order the probiotic for myself or for DS? (I can only afford 1 right now)I know that around here people keep saying 'concentrate on healing yourself first.'

DS no longer spits up, that is better. But his eczema has gotten worse since I started.
I think it is important to heal yourself first, but if you only have $ for one I would get it for him. Probiotic strains do not pass through bm and really it's one of the most important parts of gut healing. I know for us I shelled out for the little one on that front. I figured at least his little gut had a fighting chance with it.
post #197 of 395
I am a newbie and have a lot of questions. If they have been answered in this thread, I am sorry. Also, I have started looking at some of the things on the cheat sheet, but really have only just started.
First, we have a 7 mos old who has eczema which started in the folds of her arms and legs and now over her whole body, literally. She is ebf (played around with solids for a few weeks, but back to bfing only) and I am on an elimination diet. So, from the bit I have read here it sounds like I need to work on my own gut. I don't think I have major problems, partly stuffy nose a lot, which I am starting to think is related to food intolerances as well. No yeast infections, except one while I was pg, first real one in years, so I don't think I have yeast, although I know precious little. What would be other major indicators?
Then, how would you know if a baby has yeast? I need to start to help her at least a little, because she is going crazy. I read some posts about enzymes. Would you give that to a baby? And CLO? I also read a post somewhere about quercetin and L-glutamine. Would that be something you can give to a baby?I am getting her some probiotics and dairy free ones for me. And am trying to eat some coconut oil an coconut milk. I could not get any into her for the life of me. (Caedmyn, thanks for responding about the oil, I never got around to post a thank you).
This is all very overwhelming, so any ideas would be really appreciated.
post #198 of 395
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
How many of you who feel your dc's aren't getting any better are still doing dairy?
Not me--I haven't had any dairy since Sep. 23.
post #199 of 395
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Have not touched dairy since August. Considering trying coconut yogurt again, Was off all coconut for a while, and have started up very slowly with CO. I am thinking about ordering custom probiotics and making yogurt out of that. Question is do I order the probiotic for myself or for DS? (I can only afford 1 right now)I know that around here people keep saying 'concentrate on healing yourself first.'

DS no longer spits up, that is better. But his eczema has gotten worse since I started.
I would get them for your DS--you can give them to him directly and in yogurt if he'll eat in, and then you can always eat the yogurt, too, and that will stretch them out a lot since you only use a little to make yogurt. There are so many things you can do as an adult for probiotics that he might not be able to do or to get enough of to make a difference (ie you can drink 32 oz of water kefir or kombucha or eat 4 cups of yogurt a day if you need to). Plus they will only sell you 25 grams for a baby, not for an adult.
post #200 of 395
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
I am a newbie and have a lot of questions. If they have been answered in this thread, I am sorry. Also, I have started looking at some of the things on the cheat sheet, but really have only just started.
First, we have a 7 mos old who has eczema which started in the folds of her arms and legs and now over her whole body, literally. She is ebf (played around with solids for a few weeks, but back to bfing only) and I am on an elimination diet. So, from the bit I have read here it sounds like I need to work on my own gut. I don't think I have major problems, partly stuffy nose a lot, which I am starting to think is related to food intolerances as well. No yeast infections, except one while I was pg, first real one in years, so I don't think I have yeast, although I know precious little. What would be other major indicators?
Then, how would you know if a baby has yeast? I need to start to help her at least a little, because she is going crazy. I read some posts about enzymes. Would you give that to a baby? And CLO? I also read a post somewhere about quercetin and L-glutamine. Would that be something you can give to a baby?I am getting her some probiotics and dairy free ones for me. And am trying to eat some coconut oil an coconut milk. I could not get any into her for the life of me. (Caedmyn, thanks for responding about the oil, I never got around to post a thank you).
This is all very overwhelming, so any ideas would be really appreciated.
How long have you been off dairy? I had a persistant postnasal drip and DD was always slightly congested--both of those cleared up when I eliminated dairy.

There are so many symptoms that can indicate yeast--mine were horrible gas, yeast-infection type itchiness (although I never had yeast infections), acne, some mood swings, and a couple of others I can't think of right at the moment. If the mom has yeast it's pretty likely baby does too, IMO. DD's yeast symptoms are eczema, yeast rashes (little bumps in various places), and cradle cap. I don't think all eczema is caused by yeast, though, so your DD's may not be.

Have you tried CLO and evening primrose oil (for you) to help with her eczema? You can give her CLO directly if she'll take it. What probiotics are you giving her? You can do feremented foods or drinks (kombucha, water kefir, non-dairy yogurt) for yourself instead of probiotic powder/capsules--the fermented foods/drinks are much stronger (and much cheaper).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe-December