or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe-December
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut Tribe-December - Page 15

post #281 of 395
Annikate- I want to appologize if you felt like what I was saying pertained to you or your dd. I was thinking of severely autistic children when I mentioned mercury toxic and dd's intellegence. When I talk to people on another site I'm on about what we are dealing I get "is she autistic? She doesn't seem autistic." stuff. (some have met her in person). I don't know if her issues are mercury or not and no one seems to be able to tell me. Perhaps I'm not asking the right people but I'm stumped as to whom they might be.

I'm just frustrated and depressed and when I'm in that state I tend to express myself in such a way that I manage to hurt and offend those arround me (not intentionally, it just seems to happen). I'm sorry.
post #282 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
DD's eczema was just in the folds of her arms and legs, then looked like it "crept" on her inner thighs in angry raised red patches. Then all of a sudden she had red bumps all over her stomach like chicken pox. And later also on her back, arms, neck and chin. And it seems to be itching really, really bad. No diaper rash though, hardly ever. Could that be yeast?
.
Yes! That's exactly how my dd's eczema and then, yeast presented. It's very frustrating. Through figuring out and elminating her allergens, we managed to control the eczema, but the yeast still crops up constantly, and of course, that's where gut healing comes in.
post #283 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

I think that it might be allergic reactions. . .

I think with babe's immune systems not being developed yet, a damaged gut just automatically means food allergies at such a young age. An adult's immune system might already have learned response not to react to foods, but not a child's.

We are still feeling it out, our Rotation diet is not perfect, but it seems to be helping. Nutritionist said take 'em out and try again in 3 months.
I agree with this, about the development of allergies in babies. Though, I'm not comfortable reintroducing foods until after the child is 3 or 4 years old. The friends I've had and experiences I've read of children who've outgrown food allergies have done so after a LONG time of avoiding the offending food. I don't think it's just a matter of giving the gut time to heal, but also allowing the immune response to normalize.
post #284 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Annikate- I want to appologize if you felt like what I was saying pertained to you or your dd. I was thinking of severely autistic children when I mentioned mercury toxic and dd's intellegence. When I talk to people on another site I'm on about what we are dealing I get "is she autistic? She doesn't seem autistic." stuff. (some have met her in person). I don't know if her issues are mercury or not and no one seems to be able to tell me. Perhaps I'm not asking the right people but I'm stumped as to whom they might be.

I'm just frustrated and depressed and when I'm in that state I tend to express myself in such a way that I manage to hurt and offend those arround me (not intentionally, it just seems to happen). I'm sorry.
That's okay Patty. Don't worry about it. I shouldn't have taken it personally. Autism Spectrum Disorders run the gammut though from mild ADD or ADHD to Asperger's so even kids w/a *diagnosis* may not seem to be *autistic* when you look at them. (Just for the information of those who don't know.)

Funny thing, I knew dd was mercury toxic but her recent tests have revealed that her lead levels are much higher (as is her thallium and others.)

I have no idea how she became so full of these other toxins.
post #285 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
That's okay Patty. Don't worry about it. I shouldn't have taken it personally. Autism Spectrum Disorders run the gammut though from mild ADD or ADHD to Asperger's so even kids w/a *diagnosis* may not seem to be *autistic* when you look at them. (Just for the information of those who don't know.)

Funny thing, I knew dd was mercury toxic but her recent tests have revealed that her lead levels are much higher (as is her thallium and others.)

I have no idea how she became so full of these other toxins.
Lucky dd I certainly have ADD and her father probably does as well. (he grew up on a farm and although he doesn't have any fillings he did work with seeds at planting time every year which have a fungacide on them and that usually means mercury. I'm having trouble convincing him that this may be his issue).

I was reading somewhere (I've read a ton over the past few days) that people with mercury issues tend to also accumilate other toxins as well. The mercury disables the detox systems in the body and so all toxins tend to build up.

post #286 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I was reading somewhere (I've read a ton over the past few days) that people with mercury issues tend to also accumilate other toxins as well. The mercury disables the detox systems in the body and so all toxins tend to build up.

Yup, that's the problem. One little bit of mercury can cause all of this . . .
post #287 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Yes! That's exactly how my dd's eczema and then, yeast presented. It's very frustrating. Through figuring out and elminating her allergens, we managed to control the eczema, but the yeast still crops up constantly, and of course, that's where gut healing comes in.
I was really starting to think it is yeast as well from reading Caedmyn's posts. DD is only 7 mos now and for the past week has been back to ebf. I think I read somewhere something (: ) about ebf for 4-6 weeks to restore gut flora. Or at least help it. Is this true? A friend brought probiotics for her from the US that I will get today and I will add that. I will get CLO in the mail in the next two weeks I think. Should I give her 4 wks of ebf before I add that?

I have been on an elimination diet for a week now, still no results. How long did it take for your dd, Chinese Pistache?
I don't think I have major yeast issues. Leaky gut probably, but not yeast. Should I follow a candida diet for dd's yeast? Ugh, it is all so overwhelming.
post #288 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
I was really starting to think it is yeast as well from reading Caedmyn's posts. DD is only 7 mos now and for the past week has been back to ebf. I think I read somewhere something (: ) about ebf for 4-6 weeks to restore gut flora. Or at least help it. Is this true? A friend brought probiotics for her from the US that I will get today and I will add that. I will get CLO in the mail in the next two weeks I think. Should I give her 4 wks of ebf before I add that?

I have been on an elimination diet for a week now, still no results. How long did it take for your dd, Chinese Pistache?
I don't think I have major yeast issues. Leaky gut probably, but not yeast. Should I follow a candida diet for dd's yeast? Ugh, it is all so overwhelming.
I don't know that bfing *only* will restore gut flora. Babies inherit gut flora from their mothers, particularly as they pass through the birth canal. We had antibiotics in labor which effectively ruined that natural process: (that smiley is such an understatement) Getting good probiotics into the baby is important, but you have to get ones that are specific to infants (like bifidus). Also, a few of us are using Threelac, which is a probiotic that supposedly gets rid of yeast. Dd and I haven't been consistent with it because dd won't always take it. In short, I wouldn't wait to give CLO and probiotics.

We eliminated dairy and dd's eczema improved, but didn't go away entirely. Then, I tried other eliminations of wheat and soy, but nothing seemed to be the magic bullet. I tried SCD, but her yeast seemed to get worse and I worried about eating all those nuts. I finally took her to an allergist (months later) and found that she had a corn allergy (corn is extremely pervasive, so it's no wonder I couldn't identify it). Honestly, I wish I'd gone sooner, because there's a good chance she can outgrow this if we can keep her completely corn and dairy free for the next few years (she's 16 mths now). Oh, and once we eliminated corn, her runny nose was gone in 5 days and her eczema was almost completely clear in a week (though, I think we have a few more sensitivities because it has flared a few times with certain fruits).

I don't think I have major yeast issues either. Leaky gut, yes. After years of antibiotics (as a child and teen), I think the antibiotics I got in labor put me and my dd over the edge. Now that we've been corn-free, I'm seeing the improvement of a few minor health problems of my *own* so I think I had a mild corn allergy that I'd developed (probably fairy recently, like within the past few years) that I didn't notice before.

Anyway, sorry for yammering. The ladies here are very knowledgeable; I wish I had a tenth of their knowledge. Now that I know what allergens we're dealing with, I feel like I can get serious about healing dd's and my gut. Good luck to you. And stick around
post #289 of 395
Bleuts-can you help me find this reference?

Cant A, Narsden RA, Kilshaw PJ. Egg and cow's milk hypersensitivity in exclusively breastfed infants with eczema and detection of egg protein in breast milk. Br Med J. 1985;291:932-935

TIA
post #290 of 395
Hi Mamas,

I haven't been here for awhile on this thread, but Chinese Pistache pointed me this way when I asked about the blood titre allergy test (not the RAST-- the other one that naturopaths use). To make a very LONG story short, this is for my daughter Nitara. She had a feeding tube placed at 3 mos old after GERD and lack of appetite caused her to be FTT. She has spent most of her life on the feeding tube, vomiting, in a lot of discomfort, nausea, etc. Because of the tube she is a big girl, and she is showing a lot of courage about weaning off of it.

We got a new GI for her last month, one who has a better rep than her old one. Within 2 weeks of seeing her Nitara had a biopsy and endscopy to check on her GERD and other issues. She was dx with E.E.. A couple of mos previous she had a skin test that showed some food allergies, but the GI said that E.E. cells were not the same as ones that would react on a skin test. The only way to know what is causing the EE is to
(a) put her on an elemental formula via gtube for 3 mos until it clears up, then introduce foods one at a time.

(b) start to eliminate foods and see if E.E. gets better.

Obviously, b is a better choice.

The way to know if the E.E. is better or worse is through biopsy. Obviously not ideal. Her GI said to start with dairy elimination, in addition to the 6 things she tested + for on the skin test. If it's not the dairy, next to take out is soy, and so on.

In addition to the GERD and GI issues, she has raspy breathing, nodules on her vocal cords, lack of a true appetite, and occasional skin rashes. She has a history of double ear infections and has ear tubes. She also has tested negative for Celiacs (twice) by biopsy. The EE points strictly to food allergies.

I really want to know more about this allergy blood test. Why won't my allergist recommend it? Why doesn't the GI know about it? It seems like many people have had great success with it, so why is it not being used by medical doctors?

We can save money to get this test for our daughter but I want to make sure it's truly accurate and will be worth the money. We are currently paying off medical-related debt and not in a hurry to spend more unless it's worth it.
post #291 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Bleuts-can you help me find this reference?

Cant A, Narsden RA, Kilshaw PJ. Egg and cow's milk hypersensitivity in exclusively breastfed infants with eczema and detection of egg protein in breast milk. Br Med J. 1985;291:932-935

TIA
you're lucky! it's free!

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1417254

but while hunting it down, i found this article (well, the abstract anyway) that made we want to slap silly the authors.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/lin...1.00908.x/abs/

the annoying part:

"Recent clinical studies indicate that the potential of breastfeeding to counteract allergic disease may be promoted by dietary means. While uncoordinated elimination diets result in a risk of general nutritional inadequacy or deficiency of essential single nutrients, a balanced diet following current dietary recommendations, specifically containing fresh fruits and vegetables (antioxidants) and fat of predominantly vegetable origin, may be associated with a lower incidence of atopy in the infant."

maybe it's time to wander through this pile of literature -- just to see how annoyed i get.
post #292 of 395
Hi all,

Man, I have a lot of reading to catch up on......

I've been worrying about something lately. Someone mentioned here that the toxins from die-off could get into the bm. That makes me really worried. Should I be concerned about that? How should I manage my concern and my desire to get rid of my yeast, fast?

Also, are enzymes safe to take while nursing?

TIA!!
post #293 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMommy View Post
Hi all,

Man, I have a lot of reading to catch up on......

I've been worrying about something lately. Someone mentioned here that the toxins from die-off could get into the bm. That makes me really worried. Should I be concerned about that? How should I manage my concern and my desire to get rid of my yeast, fast?

Also, are enzymes safe to take while nursing?

TIA!!
okie.... the whole mercury-detox-breastmilk thing has been floating in my head, so i did a little searching. not much to find, surprise surprise.

for those interested specifically in mercury and detox reactions (with little connection to breast milk), here are some links:

http://home.datacomm.ch/rezamusic/am...liography.html
http://www.neuraltherapy.com/heavyMetalDetox.doc

mercury (methyl- and inorganic) transfer to fetus and breastfed infant:
http://www.ehponline.org/members/2005/7856/7856.html

lead and mercury in breastmilk:
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...83144763b7435f
(please let me know if you can't read this but you want to do so...)

good search phrases for pubmed:
transfer of inorganic mercury to breast milk
transfer of organic solvents to breast milk
transfer of heavy metals to breast milk

i'm not sure what substances would be dumped into breast milk (besides organic solvents, heavy metals) during the detox process when one undertakes the candida diet or the SCD or any other diet with any amount of cleansing.

others around here reportedly use chlorella or some "greens" mixture to help offset the detox process - is this really effective? our ND recommends chlorella AND activated charcoal during cleansing, but he wouldn't recommend a heavy duty cleansing whilst breastfeeding (and anything beyond changing one's diet would be considered cleansing in his opinion).

i guess i would look for a negative change in behavior in the breastfeeding child as a sign of toxins being dumped into breast milk. remember also that diet changes that are accompanied by rapid weight loss can also mobilize toxins that may have been stored in those good ol' fat cells, along with any mixture of hormones that may be lingering in those cells as well. it would seem, then, that gut healing changes should be made slowly to avoid stirring up too much junk in too short a time.

anyone else have any thoughts?
post #294 of 395
Jane, is the prick test the one you used to determine your ds's allergies? I know there are lots of different kinds of allergy tests, including ELISA and RAST, and they all have their supporters.

MeMommy, I think enzymes are generally considered safe while breastfeeding, but everyone experiences it differently.
post #295 of 395
I wanted to say one more thing in my "talk me out of it" comment.

I don't exactly like the idea of painful, extremely expensive dental work. I also don't like living with the unknown of if it will help me or dd (or any future children). I'm searching and searching for answers. If you have better info than I have found already bring it on! I currently feel like my best chance is consulting a magic 8 ball to figure this all out.
post #296 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I currently feel like my best chance is consulting a magic 8 ball to figure this all out.
Do you have one?!!!!

I am having one of those defeated days. I know Ive brought this up before, and Im sorry to do it again, but sometimes (ok, a lot of times) I feel like Ive entered this paralell universe and can see the other/former one from here but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get back there. My family and friends are there, the things I used to do/enjoy are there, and Im over here watching them all and missing them.

Some days I feel like this is all a process that WILL have an end. Ive *heard of* people getting over it. Funny enough, the therapist I started seeing this Fall (who I love), when I vented my candida stress to her, explained that she does believe in it as she did the diet for a year, years ago, and has eaten normally since (and went on to say that my *relationship* with candida is whats screwed ). But then I think of how long many of you have been at it, and *only* to get to a point, as someone mentioned the other day, of being symptom free, but not being able to eat old foods without trouble. Or other boards where it seems people never recover, or do and keep relapsing. Or the idea that once you've messed up your gut, you cant ever really get it back.

I imagine, maybe, you all have been down this ugly road mentally, and choose not to go there (well done!). I dont even know what I want to hear, I guess I just need to unload. Sorry
post #297 of 395
Chlorella-I remember reading a post by JaneS that said this is not safe during breastfeeding. I'll see if I can find it later.
post #298 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
Hi Mamas,

I haven't been here for awhile on this thread, but Chinese Pistache pointed me this way when I asked about the blood titre allergy test (not the RAST-- the other one that naturopaths use). To make a very LONG story short, this is for my daughter Nitara. She had a feeding tube placed at 3 mos old after GERD and lack of appetite caused her to be FTT. She has spent most of her life on the feeding tube, vomiting, in a lot of discomfort, nausea, etc. Because of the tube she is a big girl, and she is showing a lot of courage about weaning off of it.

We got a new GI for her last month, one who has a better rep than her old one. Within 2 weeks of seeing her Nitara had a biopsy and endscopy to check on her GERD and other issues. She was dx with E.E.. A couple of mos previous she had a skin test that showed some food allergies, but the GI said that E.E. cells were not the same as ones that would react on a skin test. The only way to know what is causing the EE is to
(a) put her on an elemental formula via gtube for 3 mos until it clears up, then introduce foods one at a time.

(b) start to eliminate foods and see if E.E. gets better.

Obviously, b is a better choice.

The way to know if the E.E. is better or worse is through biopsy. Obviously not ideal. Her GI said to start with dairy elimination, in addition to the 6 things she tested + for on the skin test. If it's not the dairy, next to take out is soy, and so on.

In addition to the GERD and GI issues, she has raspy breathing, nodules on her vocal cords, lack of a true appetite, and occasional skin rashes. She has a history of double ear infections and has ear tubes. She also has tested negative for Celiacs (twice) by biopsy. The EE points strictly to food allergies.

I really want to know more about this allergy blood test. Why won't my allergist recommend it? Why doesn't the GI know about it? It seems like many people have had great success with it, so why is it not being used by medical doctors?

We can save money to get this test for our daughter but I want to make sure it's truly accurate and will be worth the money. We are currently paying off medical-related debt and not in a hurry to spend more unless it's worth it.
Hi mama! I remember all of your help and support when I was just learning that dd had GERD and related issues.

I'm sorry I don't have enough knowledge about that particular blood test to offer advice but wanted to give you a (We had the RAST test done for dd.)
post #299 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Chlorella-I remember reading a post by JaneS that said this is not safe during breastfeeding. I'll see if I can find it later.
that's interesting, though this article suggests that chlorella is useful during breastfeeding:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Dioxins can be transferred from mother to fetus via the placenta, or to nursing infants via breast milk, potentially causing developmental health problems in children. To assess pediatric health risks from dioxins, exposure of mothers and children to dioxins must be clarified. Methods of reducing maternal transfer of dioxins should also be investigated. Concentrations of 28 dioxin (polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, polychlorinated dibenzofurans, and co-planar polychlorinated biphenyls) congeners in blood, adipose tissue, breast milk, cord blood and placenta collected from 44 pregnant Japanese women were measured. In addition, to investigate potential reductions in maternal transfer of dioxins, 23 pregnant women were instructed to take Chlorella pyrenoidosa supplements during pregnancy. Correlations were observed between dioxin total toxic equivalents (total TEQ) in blood and total TEQ in adipose tissue (r=0.913, P<0.0001), breast milk (r=0.695, P=0.0007), and cord blood (r=0.759, P<0.0001). Dioxin levels transferred to fetuses and nursing infants reflect cumulative maternal concentrations of dioxins. A linear regression equation was introduced to predict total TEQ in breast milk and cord blood from dioxin levels in maternal blood, which should prove useful in evaluating fetal and infant risk of dioxin exposure. Total TEQ in cord blood were approximately 26% lower than in maternal blood (P<0.0001). The results of this study suggest that transplacental transfer differs depending on the dioxin congener. Total TEQ in breast milk were approximately 30% lower in the Chlorella group than in controls (P=0.0113). This finding suggests that maternal transfer of dioxins can be reduced using dietary measures such as Chlorella supplements.
post #300 of 395
Sorry to change the topic but I have one question for the ones on a candida diet. Is homemade sourdough bread ok to have since it soaked (fermented) overnight.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe-December