or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Ear Piercing an Infant - Need advise/ info
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ear Piercing an Infant - Need advise/ info - Page 6

post #101 of 132
I think it's cute. : : My baby's aren't pierced, but only because my mom would have a fit about it. As long as you make sure all safety precautions are done, I don't think it is a big deal.
post #102 of 132
Save that for a coming of age type ritual.

Seriously, wait until she is asking for arrings AND ready to take care of them properly. Make it a special event for her. The day will come all too soon!
post #103 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
Save that for a coming of age type ritual.

That's a nice idea. I am probably still harboring resentment from when I was in 3rd grade and BEGGED for earrings, but my mom said no until 6th grade. Also to sleepovers! I came from a ultra-conservative family. Sesame Street was considered too liberal for me to watch, if you can believe that!
post #104 of 132
what if your kid didn't want her ears peirced?? i got mine done when i was 12 and even though i never wear earrings they have never closed let your kid make the decision later
post #105 of 132
We are in a similar-ish boat. DH wanted to ge the girls Moroccan jewelry for their 1st birthday--including the earrings. I said "okay" as long as they are done by a pro (with a needle) and he does everything from finding someone to getting it done to caring for it.

Now they are getting bracelets and nacklaces for their birthday.
post #106 of 132
If my dh suggested such a thing I'd probably say it was okay as long as he did it himself which, of course, he couldn't bear to do.

> I have heard that the pain would be minimial and they would forget it,

> Based on that argument you could slap your baby in the face with no ill effects.

> that it's easier if mom just keeps the ears clean while they heal, and that the holes heal differently so that they won't close up later.

My ears never got infected and the holes never close up and I was 12yo when mine were pierced.

How can a parent seriously put their daughter through pain and risk potential infection just because they thinks earrings would improve her appearance.

Sam in Sydney
post #107 of 132
I could never choose to hurt my baby.

eta: have to clarify.

DD gets growth hormone injections every single night (complicated issue, not just for linear growth). Before we started that I would cry myself to sleep. It took her months to get used to being stuck every night (and this is a teeny tiny needle that is only subcutaneous, not intramuscular). Now, she doesn't cry, just jumps a little and goes back to playing. I can't imagine choosing to do something like that to her for non-medical necessity.
post #108 of 132
I pierced my first 2 daughters' ears as babies, not number 3 because she had severe eczema on her earlobes, and not DD4 because she is unvaxed and they won't do it without proof of vax on babies.

But if I could have, I would have for DD3 and 4. DD3 is very sad she doesn't have earrings and is asking me to pierce her ears (she is 3).

I haven't met a girl who doesn'tlike pierced ears... my older 2 daughters love their pierced ears.

My grandmother's ears were pierced by the midwife the day she was born! I always wished it had been the same for me. Mine were pierced when I was older.
post #109 of 132
I just had a conversation with my own Mama about this the other day. In my family and among my Mama's close friends, it has been tradition to pierce us girls ears before the age of 3 months and it was made into a ceremony and performed by my mother outside as she nursed us and her friends daughters. My DD is now 4 months old (2 months adjusted) and my mama wants to pierce her ears in the same fashion she did us, but I told her I wasn't comfortable with it. None of the 8 baby girls she pierced ever have had any problems with it. She feels they heals easier because they don't touch it and they don't yet have hair to get caught in it. She said she just put breastmilk on them every day and they healed completely in a few weeks. None of our holes are in the wrong spot btw. Anyhow, I decided to let my DD do it when she feels ready to make that decision (if she does).

On another note, my Mama had a fit when I decided to stretch my ear lobes about 5 years ago... :

Truthfully, mine were pierced at 2 weeks old and I've never been upset about it in the least.
post #110 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
I haven't met a girl who doesn'tlike pierced ears... my older 2 daughters love their pierced ears.

Hi, nice to meet you. Now you've met someone who doesn't like pierced ears. I also had mine done as a young child and I do not like earrings. I haven't worn earrings in 15 years yet the holes are still visible. It makes me so angry that I have these stupid looking scars on my ears and it wasn't even my choice. Secondly mine have not grown over, obviously they never will. I also still get infections in them every couple of months. It hurts and pus comes out of them.

No do not pierce your baby's ears. How in the world could you possibly think that is your decision to make. Tell your DH that not all girls like earrings and if she does then she can choose to do it. I'm sorry but I find the argument that he is trying to spare her pain is idiotic. He wants to put your infant daughter through pain so he can spare her pain in the future? : In the future it would be her choice!
post #111 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusmamma View Post
> I have heard that the pain would be minimial and they would forget it,

> Based on that argument you could slap your baby in the face with no ill effects.

post #112 of 132
Body modification should only be done by the person whose body it is. Period.
post #113 of 132
A woman at one of my playgroups brought her daughter in last week with pierced ears (she's 7 months) and I was shocked, frankly. I assumed they were earring stickers or clip ons but nope, they were the real thing. I just kept thinking "poor little baby."

I would wait until your DD has a chance to make that decision for herself. I had mine done when I was about 8 or 9 and it's a good memory. These days I rarely wear earrings though as DD would just pull them out.
post #114 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
Save that for a coming of age type ritual.

Seriously, wait until she is asking for arrings AND ready to take care of them properly. Make it a special event for her. The day will come all too soon!
That's a nice idea. Maybe a special gift for her 13th birthday or something?
post #115 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbunny View Post
I think it's cute. : : My baby's aren't pierced, but only because my mom would have a fit about it. As long as you make sure all safety precautions are done, I don't think it is a big deal.
I don't think "cute" is a good reason to permanently alter the body of another person. Even if I thought you would be "cute" with a flower tattooed on your forehead, it would still be wrong for me to hold you down and have it done to you.

Why do you feel that you have more of a right to alter the body of your daughter? Do you feel that she belongs to you somehow, in a possessive sense? Is it because she can't protest in a grammatically correct, verbal way?

I just don't understand the logic here. Earrings aren't a frilly baby dress. They are bits of metal driven through earlobes.
post #116 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I also still get infections in them every couple of months. It hurts and pus comes out of them.
: You're the only other person I've 'met' that has the same problem as me!!! I haven't worn earrings in 6 years, and one hole gets infected every few months - pain, itching, swelling, and pus oozing out. I know how you feel!
post #117 of 132
i pierced dd's ears at 6 months. i had mine done early so i wanted her to have the same. mostly all i planned prior to deciding was that she would have 1 free piercing...if she decided later not to wear earrings...or to pierce herself a million times i would not pay for it...and she cant pierce her face!!!

she cried for a minute and then smiled...she was fine, no pain issues but she was allergic to the pair that we switched to once they had healed...very common. so we switched her back to the kind they pierced her with and all is well

i like people being able to tell she is a girl. i mean she wore pink or purple with a headband for months and i still got the gender question...so i took it a step further and got earrings...still got asked if she was a boy...but not for long lol...some people!
post #118 of 132
i don't think it's a big deal...
post #119 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_kaiden View Post
i pierced dd's ears at 6 months. i had mine done early so i wanted her to have the same. mostly all i planned prior to deciding was that she would have 1 free piercing...if she decided later not to wear earrings...or to pierce herself a million times i would not pay for it...and she cant pierce her face!!!

she cried for a minute and then smiled...she was fine, no pain issues but she was allergic to the pair that we switched to once they had healed...very common. so we switched her back to the kind they pierced her with and all is well

i like people being able to tell she is a girl. i mean she wore pink or purple with a headband for months and i still got the gender question...so i took it a step further and got earrings...still got asked if she was a boy...but not for long lol...some people!

this makes me sao sad. especially the part about "being able to tell she's a girl"...why not just enjoy her as a baby?
post #120 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
i don't think it's a big deal...
what if your mom lightened your skin as a baby? Would that be okay?

I am astounded that anyone here would think it is okay to modify their childs body permanently
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Ear Piercing an Infant - Need advise/ info