or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › Vaginal hospital birth stories?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vaginal hospital birth stories?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I read my first twin vaginal hospital birth story the other day, and it was so inspirational! I'm wondering if any other mamas would be willing to post their birth stories? Thank you!!
post #2 of 28
There are several mamas here who had good hospital birth experiences. I wish you the best and I hope you have a great vaginal birth! :
post #3 of 28
subbing. I just want to hear the stories. Dp is adamant on a hospital birth for the twins. I'm not sure. (I'm never sure of anything!: ) Ancedotal stories are nice.

post #4 of 28
I'm in the process of getting mine written...just need to find the time! Ha, ha, ha...
I remember your earlier post--how is your pregnancy going and how is your son doing?
post #5 of 28
Here's mine. I really didn't want a hospital birth this time around, but after finding out we were having ID twins and all the risks, we opted for the hospital birth. Lucky for me my Obgyn was totally down with vaginal birth she had not problem with those wishes. I expressed I wanted to do things as natural as possible. She warned me things are different with ID twins and that I am now high risk pregnancy. Of course I was like yeah sure. But I did end up with GD and high blood pressure and wish I knew about MDC back then because I would have taken better care of myself. Anyway long story short I ended up on bed rest due to dialating at 31 weeks 2 cm. also was given Magnesium sulfate to stop contractions that I didn't even feel I was having, then got induced at 38 weeks already 5 cm due to HBP. (given Magnesim again for HBP) Otherwise I think I would have made it another week or so.

Well she broke my water and within the hour they were born, the fastest twin birth my OB delivered in her 25 yrs experience. And were born 4 min apart one was 7 lbs. and the other was 5lbs 8 oz. I have to say it was actually easy. No episiotomy, tore a little and while getting stitched the nurses put the babies on me to nurse. They spent 10 days in NICU for really bad acid reflux and apnea (we actually signed them out, without dr's conscent). (whole other story). They breastfed like champs, expecially when we got home.
post #6 of 28
I planned a birth center birth. Through a series of complications (none of them medical-- I had a picture perfect pregnancy) my midwife decided to induce me at 37 weeks 2 days or the OB would have induced me just after in the hospital. She felt like it was our only shot at a birth center experience. I should have listened to my body, I was not at all ready to go into labor. NO dilation, virtually NO contractions. I took various homeopathics and she broke my water at 1:00pm. By 4:00pm I was in "active labor" but had been in a lot of pain until then. Because of the homeopathics I couldn't eat or drink and because of the heart monitors I had to be on my back. Everytime I got up to relieve the pain or go pee baby A would retract. By 10:30pm, with no end in sight, I decided to go to the hospital.
The OB we had backing us up is a firm believer in vaginal birth but does an amazing c-section if necessary (he says its the difference between finding the front door and ripping the roof of the house). It took an hour to get an IV and two hours to get an epidural. I was in so much pain I was wishing I had never gotten pregnant in the first place. The epidural killed my contractions and the process really slowed down. The nurse wasn't upping my pitocin at the rate the OB wanted. At 4:00ish am I was taken to the OR. My husband finagled my midwife in with us. At 4:55am my first baby was born by vacuum extraction as I vomitted (that action gave the push we needed to get him out!). My second son was so high that everyone was skeptical we could make it vaginally. I looked my OB in the eye and said "we're going to do this". I pushed with everything I had and the epidural was fading so I could feel a little better to push. They broke his water and I pushed him from a five station to a three. That's when the OB got the vacuum on his head. He was delivered at 5:29am.

It was overall a terrible birth experience and was very hard on me and my boys. It was the opposite of everything I wanted and planned for. But it wasn't a complete bust. They were 6lbs 4oz and 6lbs 11oz. They were thankfully incredibly healthy. My second son was so squirmy the doctor almost dropped him when he was born. They had apgars of 8 and 9. The hospital was an entirely rooming-in facility so all procedures were done in front of us in our room. Our experience after the birth was really good. I was grateful to have the care in the hospital, the special bathroom for disabled people. I was so beat up I know going home right after the birth would have been awful.

I know this isn't the inspirational story you probably were looking for but I am proud of not having a c-section despite our difficulties and I guess it's good to hear all manner of hospital stories so you know what is possible.

Best of luck to you!
post #7 of 28
I don't know if it's inspirational (!) but here's a link to my story:
post #8 of 28
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I had my twins at a hospital, and it was a very rough experience. HOWEVER, I truly believe that had I been better prepared, heard more of others' experiences, etc., it could have been very different. So I'd like to share my story with you in the chance that it might help you feel more prepared.
I had been on bedrest since 29 weeks with a shortening cervix. At 35 weeks I was removed from bedrest and I went into labor at exactly 36 weeks. I had been seeing a midwife and ob throughout my pregnancy, who were part of a group of midwives and obs. The way it worked at that practice was that they rotated who worked at the hospital, one ob and one midwife at a time, and they did this in conjunction with an affiliate practice, so you could end up with any of 20 or so midwives and 20 or so obs for delivery. In retrospect, this was waaay too big for me. My midwife and ob had assurred me that, barring complications, I could deliver in a regular delivery room, with a midwife, without interventions, etc., but in retrospect I wish I had understood that just because they were agreeing to that didn't mean another team would feel the same way.
Anyway, I woke up in the middle of the night with intestinal discomfort/pain. I thought I had a bowel obstruction. My older son had been a 40 hour, gradually building labor, and I foolishly expected my labor with the twins to be similar, or at least feel similarly. I left a message for the midwife on call, and by the time she called me back 10 minutes later, I couldn't even talk. We raced to the hospital, 40 minutes away, and when we arrived I was 10cm and not quite crowning, but close. I had not been prepared for precipitous labor, and it was overwhelming. I didn't have a written birth plan and was not able to really communicate my wishes to the staff, as I was just in too much pain. The midwife at the hospital (not the one I'd seen for my pregnancy) was attending another birth. The ob, who I'd never met, came into the room, checked me again, did a quick ultrasound, and told the nurses to bring me to the OR, even though both twins were vertex, heart rates great, and I was crowning. So I was rushed through the halls to the OR, while my husband, who was holding our 3 year old son (sitter hadn't arrived yet), was told he would have to stay behind. My DD was born right when we got into the OR, after the ob put me in stirrups. I held her right away for a few minutes. But the contractions were still strong, so I asked a nurse to hold her. She stayed in the room for awhile, held lovingly by the nurse, but then the nurse asked if she could bring her to the other room to see her daddy. So She was brought to my husband, who introduced her to my son and then held her while I continued to labor.
After a half-hour or so, baby b had not descended so I was given pitocin. I had to pee and asked if I could, but was told I'd have to be catheterized instead. At that point, I realized my hips were horribly sore and my legs were shaking. I was still in the stirrups. I asked if I could get out of them. The nurse asked the ob, meekly, and he kind of rolled his eyes and said ok. I realized at that point that I was dealing with a mysogynistic jerk, and I just felt so dejected, laying there all alone, thinking about having to do it all over again. After another half-hour I asked for an epidural. I was given one, and then the ob told me I should try to push. He started to put my legs back in the stirrups and when I started to move them myself he said my epidural hadn't worked because I shouldn't be able to move them. I had never had an epidural so I just thought maybe it hadn't taken effect yet. He also informed me that my cervix had gone back to 7-8 and I just felt so hopeless. I was so afraid that I'd end up with a c-section after all of this. I pushed for an hour, and at that point my husband finally came in. I could hear my baby's heartbeat slowing on the monitors, but no one was saying anything to me. The ob got out the vacuum, told the nurses (not me) that it was time to try it, and after another half hour of pushing, my second dd was born. She had slightly lower apgars (7-8 vs. first dd's 9-9) but she was given to me within minutes and stayed by my side until we went home 2 days later.
My postpartum experience was ok. My girls stayed with me the whole time. The one thing I would have changed was my dealings with the lactation consultants. In the hospital, I was instructed to supplement after each feeding, and I was sent home with a pump, a really complicated breastfeeding "schedule" which included things like feed twin A for 10 minutes on Breast A; switch twin A to Breast B and feed for 5 minutes; Give supplemental bottle and pump breast A. We got home, and that first night I threw away the bottles. I fed twin A from breast A, twin B from breast B and then at the next feeding, if I remembered, I switched size. We continued that method for a year and a half and my girls were always in the 50th to 75th percentiles.
I never saw the ob after he sewed up my 4th degree cut/tear. He never explained the birth to me or told me he had given me an episiotomy without my permission. In retrospect I wish I had demanded to see him afterward, to understand and process what had happened. But now, 4 years later, I have learned so much about what I would have done differently. First of all, I would have had a written birth plan, to hand off if I wasn't able to verbally make my wishes known. I would have demanded that my husband stay with me. Birth is no time to be without an advocate. I would have refused the stirrups, and refused to labor on the OR table. There is no doubt in my mind that my labor stalled because I was flat on my back. I would have foregone that epidural, so I could have pushed more effectively. I would have written a letter to the hospital and my midwife and ob detailing my experience so that I wasn't complacent in allowing this to happen to someone else.

I don't mean to scare you with a horror story. I just feel that everything bad that I experienced could have been avoided had I been better prepared. For the birth of my 4th child, I made sure I was as educated and empowered as possible. He was the beautiful, wonderful, amazing, inspirational hospital birth that I didn't get with my twins.

Best of luck to you and your little ones!!

post #9 of 28
Jane, I am so sorry about your frustrating experience. I can totally understand how that could happen though. Luckily for me, my twins were my 3rd and 4th, so I had already learned the lesson about having EVERYTHING SPELLED OUT AND SIGNED before labor and that made a big difference for us. I am sure I was really annoying during prenatal visits but it was because I had been burned before. With DD's birth, I thought we had an understanding about my wishes but was still told at 9cm that if I didnt get to 10 in 45 min I would be given pitocin. (who tells that to an unmedicated woman in transition?!?!?!?!) At 10 I was forced into stirups. When I said that I needed to be more upright and off my back (backlabor) I was told to shupup and push. He also said that it was the best position for him to help me not to tear. I did tear after pushing her out in 2 contractions (to the melody of him yelling at me that I was not pushing right) But I was in so much pain laying on my back that I pushed as fast as humanly possible. I had my daughter with no durgs but feelt pretty dehumanized by how the OB treated me.

Fastforward 1 year, I am pregnant again and planning a homebirth to stay far far away from that OB. But with the twins, we opted for a hospital birth and imediately began hunting down the right OB. She was wonderful! I found her through several midwives reccomendations. The practice has 2 midwifes and one family practioner who share all of the OB call. there is an OB who handles high risk cases and all twins. It was great that I KNEW who would attend the delivery. There would be no wondering how many particular people would handle my birth. I had tons of questrions for her from the beginning and she was very understanding. she said that she would often wonder why women inherently do not trust OBS and then she would hear another story about how terribly one had treated a women and remember why....

So I asked every question and she gave me honest answers. In the beginning, she said that she could not be too specific because the health of the pregnancy and position of the babies made all of the difference. She said that as long as baby A was head down she was very positive about vaginal birth. I read that some doctors like to insert an epidural catheder to ease an emergency csection and was really freaked out about that. She left it up to me. She said that I could choose not to have one with the understanding that if I needed an emergency csection, I would be under general. I made that decision closer to delivery when I knew in my heart everything was going to be great and opted not to have the epidural catheter. I wrote a detailed birth plan (mixed from Karen Gromada's and Penny Simpkins...Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the newborn) and we revisited it a couple of times and finally both signed it. So here is how it turned out...

After starting meds to hold off preterm labor at 29 weeks, I stopped at 36 and expected labor to start at any time. 2 days before my due date, I had a prenatal visit and we decided to induce on my duedate. I never thought I would agree to that but my body was SO taxed and I knew they were healthy. I actually felt that the longer they were in at that point made them less likely to be safe which was a wierd switch....so I agreed. I arrived at 9am and there was no room for me so we left and got breakfast. (just a bagel for me....I was sick from the castor oil I had on the way to the hospital) We went back at 11:30. At noon the OB broke my water. The castor oil had stimulated decent contractions and braking my water was all it took. (I drank tha castor oil because I was afraid that labor might not start and I didnt want pitocin) IT was clear pretty quickly that things were going to start well on their own! I was at 4 cm when she broke my water. The nurses used the dopplar to moniter the babies occasionally. I moved around from the toilet (thank you very much castor oil) to the birth ball. I tried the tub but found it too small for my hefty 40 week pregnant self. So after waiting 5 years for it to fill, it took my forever to get out because the labor was progressing so well. I found that squatting holding on to my DH's neck was the best position for me. I could wiggle my butt to help move Bbay A down. The nurses often wanted to be more on top of stuff but the OB convinced them to leave me alone. I really felt like we were on a team.I was complete after only 3 and a half hours (my previous labors were LONG!) and spent a while finding a comfortable position. No one told me to do anything! I ended up in the same dangling supported squat with DH for a small time and then pushed baby A out 30 minutes later. She was 7#3oz and the OB wasnt even there! I yelled, "Someone catch the baby!!!!" and my homebirth midwife who came as an assistant caught the baby! Her cord was VERY short and I had to wait for her cord to lengthen and then push hard to get her head the rest of the way out. They clamped the cord and cut it right away because she literally couldnt get farther out of me then right between my legs. My OB laughed about all of the worry because Baby B slid right into place with no help and no one even in the room besides dh, my mom, and my byo midwife! I then say back (on some cold clamps) and nursed her. when the labor got too intense again to hold her, I handed her off to my mom and started laboring again. I started by standing right away again, thinking it would be quick. Then I realised hat it wouldn't be and I was really tired. So I layed down on the bed and got all covered up (I was naked and cold from being in the tub) I got warm and cozy and actually fell asleep between contractions. I just needed rest before pushing out another baby. My mom later said it was like I told my labor to take a break because I was tired. Contractions still came but they were farther apart and I fell completely asleep between them. After an hour and a half, I told DH that I was ready to stand back up and push her out. My OB decided then to break Baby B's water since she was still high. So She broke the water, I stood up. The OB left the room again!! But someone yelled for her to come back and I pushed out Baby B again in a supported squat 5 minutes after her water was broken. My placenta came 30 minutes later and I was home less than 24 hours later! It was a beautiful experience for DH and me and was the opposite of DDs. I felt powerful and peaceful. It was very healing....And the hospital really didnt get in the way......
post #10 of 28

No drug, vaginal twin birth in hospital

Here's my story:
I had a routine check up at 35 weeks and was found to be 3 cm dilated 50% effaced. My doctor said I should head down to my MIL's which is 10 minutes from the hospital I planned to birth at. So off we went. And waited as the days went by. A week later I had a check up with the hospital high risk OB (only considered high risk because of twins) and was found to be 5 cm dilated. I wasn't having any painful contractions but they hooked me up and I was making some waves on the screen so I was having them. So this doctor then sent me back to my MIL's to wait.
I wanted to labor for as long as possible out of the hospital. Our home was an hour and half away so my MIL's seem to be the right place. She lives right on the ocean to which was a great bonus.
Okay, so DH and I took our daughter, then 2, for a nice long walk along the beach and on the way back to the car, I had a big trickle of fluid wet my pants. I thought for sure I broke my water. So we went back to my MIL's and waited. I did end up having some regular contractions that night but they went away.
Had an appt the next day and no change. By this point I was getting a little edgy. I was ready to have the babies, I was SOOO done being pregnant..lol.
So more contractions the following night but no babies.
We returned to the high risk OB at 36 weeks 5 days. Still 5 cm but 100% effaced. My doctor was very worried that if we were to return home (an hour and half away) we wouldnt make it to the hospital. So off we went and were admitted at 11am.
After some mild contractions and LOTS of discussion we decided to have my water broken. 6pm.The contractions came HARD AND FAST and I was thinking how crazy I was to decide not to have drugs..lol. But, I remembered everything I have been taught in my natural birthing class, focused on the pain as a sensation and found a focal point (The rubber sole of my Doulas sneakers..lol) and just breathed SLOWLY through the contractions. If anyone talked during the contraction I would SHHHHHHHH them quite nasty..lol.
I sat in a chair almost the whole time until I felt like I had to poop.
By 8pm I was 8 cm. The nurse got in a panic because the operating room (standard for twins to deliver there just in case) wasnt ready for me yet as they didnt think Id go that fast so she got on my nerves. Everyone was rushing around like there was something horribly wrong and it was rather unnerving. SO we get in there and they tell me to get up on the bed and I was crowning so I told them they were crazy and they helped me up. Then MUCH to my horror as well as my DH's and Doulas they MADE me sign a C-section form that they FORGOT to have me sign before. UGH!! I couldnt believe it! I scratched something on it and threw it at them. Idiots....
Okay, so by this point I start pushing and 45 min later out comes my little Alex at 5 lbs 13 oz, screaming like a banshee and of course very cute. My Doula follows him over to where they take him to make sure they don't do anything to him and I start pushing Baby B out. At this point I am pooped, pissed and not feeling too well. I tell the doctor that I am done and I am going home, everyone laughs, all 10 of them. (DH, doula and staff, way too many have to be in there)
Well I didn't go anywhere and Andy Pandy pudding pants followed his brother 7 minutes later also yelling at the world.
I thought having the twins in the hospital would make me feel safer but I could have had these guys at home.
While we were being wheeled to our room the nurse who had been with me the whole time leans over and says, "In all the years I have been in labor and delivery, I have never seen twins born with no drugs, anything is possible."
Maybe I educated the rest of the staff as well!
post #11 of 28
It really is helpful to read these stories. Thanks ladies.

I get so miffed about the birthing on the OR table. I fight with my doc at every single visit about it. It's nice to hear more details so i can have another good fight next time.
post #12 of 28
I had a pretty good one.

Briefly: it was a difficult pregnancy, due to Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Oh yeah, and also: I was a young single mom dealing with a non-planned pregnancy and no support from the "contributor." Luckily my family was very supportive.

I was on bedrest for 18w (modified; nothing much more than getting up to pee and shower, maybe one or two "outings" a week), saw a perinate and a mfm CONSTANTLY, but I had an awesome doula who'd had twins by c-s and went on to have two hbacs. She encouraged me to read Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide." That really changed my life. I believe that started me on the looooooooong road to becoming really crunchy! (Although I also planned not to circ or vax my boys.)

At 34w I agreed to an induction because of IUGR in baby B, and it was just getting to be time with the TTTS. First thing was cervidil. The "plan" was to keep it in for 12 hours, then take it out and I could shower and eat, then get pitocin.

I got the Cervidil and immediately went into active labor.

I was also really in the zone during ctx. I'd shush everyone. My doula held the monitors in place so I could labor while standing and rocking. She was the BEST. After about 3 hours, things got really intense, and I asked to be checked. I was at 3cm and SO depressed about that! (What I know now, after having another baby, is that my body moves faster than my cervix. I was actually starting transition, but my cervix hadn't caught up yet. Same EXACT situation with my dd, 2 years later, except I wasn't induced with her.)

I asked for an epidural and got one -- with a window. The pain was entirely concentrated into one spot on my leg, and it was worse than BEFORE the epidural. Just as I was shrieking that it wasn't working, my water broke with baby A and I immediately felt the urge to push.

Of course they wheeled me down to an OR, "just in case."

I pushed out baby A fairly quickly, and within about a minute of his birth, my water broke with baby B. I want to add that having just one baby out did NOT halve my pain, as I expected it to . When my water broke with B, his foot slid out. I remember everyone in the room (way too many people; that was kind of freaky) FREAKING OUT. They started really screaming at me to push, and I pushed, and he came out, a feet-first breech. As soon as HE was out, my pain stopped!

No tears -- although after that "window" I'll never have an epidural again.

My boys were 3.11 and 5.10 -- not huge, but the doctor always told me it would be very difficult for me to push out a bigger second baby, and not only was he bigger, he was also breech! And it went fine! They were born about 9 minutes apart.

It was just a really great experience overall -- it was actually a better experience than my next labor with dd, in a birthing center! Having a good doula made all the difference. She really was willing to do whatever it took to help me be vertical and help me through the ctx.

p.s. when my boys were 3 months, I met my dh, and we fell in love and got married, and he adopted the boys. And we also have a girl. The boys will be 4 next month, time flew by!
post #13 of 28
wow- I'm wishing I had the foresight to ask this question before I gave birth. These stories are so great to read. When I ended up in the hospital I just basically surrendered to everything out of pain and disappointment, fear and timidity. You are all pretty amazing for standing up for yourselves and your babies so well. Kudos to you all!
post #14 of 28
Lindsay, you have an Everett and Thomas, my 5yoDS is Everett Thomas! It is not a very common name i'm just saying hi and yeah!

DS 5, DD 21mos, 2mo twin DDs
post #15 of 28
Here is the quick and dirty version of mine, after I got to the hospital (labored at home until I was having contrax about 2 1/2 minutes apart at 6:30am on a Saturday; doula then met us at home and we left for the hospital). I was 35w 1d along. Mind you, I chose my OB very, very carefully upon the recommendations of many friends in our crunchy moms group here and had gone over my birth plan with him on many ocassions. Strangely, I hadn't even considered homebirth, for no particular reason, but found out along the way that midwives in our state could not legally attend twin homebirths. I would consider a HB if I were to have another kid, but honestly, I have such a wonderful OB and had such a good experience I don't know for sure. One of his first comments to me was that he was just there to catch the babies any way the moms want to have them, even if that means they're standing on their head!
Anyway, my husband, doula and I arrived at the hospital where my OB was waiting. They quickly attached fetal monitors to me to catch a strip of the babies' heartbeats and at the same time my OB did an exam and determined I was 3-4 cm dilated and very stretchy. This was the first internal exam I'd had since I left the care of a military midwife at 6wks pregnant. We found out that the most NCB-friendly nurse happened to be on shift that day and my doula talked to her and quickly got her 'assigned' to us. She said she'd read my birth plan and agreed she'd do whatever she could to assist a natural delivery. We went into an L&D room and were largely left alone for the rest of the day! The lights were dimmed, I brought some food and Emergen-C, our doula brought all her goodies (crock-pot with hot towels, massage stuff, aromatherapy--the hospital had birth balls). I did have to have a Hep-lock as I'd been GBS positive. The abx dripped through in about 30 minutes and that was that--I could walk wherever I wanted to and I was unhooked from the IV as soon as they were done. I labored through the day, walking the halls, squatting, eating, drinking. It had the feel of a hotel to me, where every once in awhile someone would check the babies' heartbeats to see that all was well. I got to a point where I felt a lot of pressure in my perineum and requested an internal exam. I was at a 'very stretchy 7cm with a bulging bag of waters.' Was left to labor again. A few hours later I felt more pressure and was checked again...closer to 8cm...still very stretchy...water still bulging. Anywho, I stayed at 8cm for almost 4 hours! Not fun!!! I finally asked the L&D nurse about AROM. I knew it would really get things rolling, so I was pretty nervous, but hanging out in transition was not my idea of a good time! I finally asked her if she thought Dr. B would prefer me to have AROM. She said, "Oh, YES! He's just been sitting at the nurses station all day twiddling his thumbs!" So, I finally decided to ask for that. (Background: I went into labor with my dd after my water broke and the contrax were UNBEARABLE. Up until this point in my labor with the boys, the contrax were, honestly, not that bad. So, I was pretty leary of going that direction knowing what might be ahead.) Anyway, Dr. B broke my water, I got back up again, nervously awaiting the freight train. It never hit. The contrax never really got much worse, but within about 20 minutes that perineal pressure was STRONG! I mentioned that I thought I might have to push soon and they said the room was ready (I did agree to deliver in the OR *just in case*--however, they'd wheeled an L&D bed in there and dimmed the lights for me. Since the boys were 5 weeks early, there was a 3-ring circus waiting just outside the room, though!) I walked down the hall between contrax to the OR, climbed up on the bed and at the next pushing urge, I tried to roll on my side to push. That felt reeeaaaallllllyyyy uncomfortable, so I kind of sat up, supported by my dh and doula and the bed that had been adjusted upright. I have to admit I never felt that sense of relief so many women talk about with the pushing phase. It freaked me out and I yelled. A LOT. My doula and OB suggested I reach down to feel his head and Eli was born in about 4 pushes at 2:54pm once I calmed down and focused (thanks to the help of our doula and OB). He had the cord around his neck, which was quickly unwrapped. My husband announced, "It's a boy!" My dh cut the cord and he was laid on my chest. I honestly didn't even think to try and nurse him then--I was still a little shell-shocked about the whole 'I just pushed one kid out and now I've gotta do it again!' Within another couple of minutes my contrax started again and I handed Eli to my husband, who passed him to a nurse for eval so he could help hold me upright. I can't explain that feeling of dread, knowing I'd have to push again! I don't know if Sam's water broke on its own or if Dr. B broke it, but anyway, he flew down into position (vertex, thankfully) and I pushed him out in 2-3 pushes at 3:01pm (7 minutes after Eli), afte which my husband announced, "It's another boy!" (We'd agreed if Baby B turned from vertex after Eli's delivery that Dr. B would attempt an external version first, then internal version or breech delivery, depending). He was also placed on my chest for awhile until I had the contrax that delivered the placenta a few minutes later. These were pretty uncomfortable, so I passed Sam off, too. He needed evaluation, and had mild RDS so was given oxygen fairly quickly. Both went to the NICU, accompanied by my husband. My doula stayed with me. Both boys were born OP/sunny-side-up, which they speculate may have had something to do with me hanging at 7-8 cms for so long...they just couldn't descend properly to dilate me enough with their water still intact (at least quickly enough for my tastes!). Who knows?! Total time from when I entered the hospital to delivery was roughly 8 hours. After delivery I was wheeled back to my room on the bed. About 20-30 minutes later I was wheeled down to the NICU and nursed Eli for the first time. Sam was still in respiratory distress, so I did not get to nurse him until later that evening. A lactation consultant met me shortly thereafter in my room and got me set up with a pump. The pediatrician who met us in the NICU was very pleased that we chose to leave the boys intact and had no problem whatsoever with us declining Vit K, Hep B, and erythromycin eye ointment.
All in all, everything in my birth plan for the twins was met, which was completely opposite from my 'cascade o' interventions' birth experience with my daughter. Oddly, a midwife delivered my daughter and an OB delivered the twins--so, I guess choice of provider and good communication (plus some luck!) really goes a long way.
I forgot to add, none of the nurses there had ever seen or heard of a natural twin delivery, so I felt a bit like a superhero after that (I could even hear mumblings in the hall in the recovery unit..."she's the one who just had twins with no meds!")
Almost forgot...Eli was 4lbs 15ozs and Sam was 5lbs 15 ozs.
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thank you all so much for sharing your stories - they are all extremely helpful in trying to figure out what to expect (and the "not-so-great" labors are absolutely important to read too). Keep 'em coming!

I'm interested that many of you chose to have doulas... I had kind of written it off since the chance of a c/s is so much higher than with singletons, it seemed like a riskier financial committment if we're looking at only a 50/50 chance of being able to actually utilize her in labor (just going by the stats). Do doulas give refunds if you end up needing a scheduled c?

Originally Posted by cjcolorado View Post
I remember your earlier post--how is your pregnancy going and how is your son doing?
Thank you so much for asking! I have made absolute peace with the coming twins - in fact, I think it's going to be the perfect thing for our family. Jackson is sometimes going to need extra attention because of his medical needs, but the twins will get extra attention for being TWINS. Plus they will always have each other, which I think will ease things for them in the times I need to be focused on Jackson's needs. I think it really is meant to be .
post #17 of 28
Originally Posted by jackson's mama View Post
I'm interested that many of you chose to have doulas... I had kind of written it off since the chance of a c/s is so much higher than with singletons, it seemed like a riskier financial committment if we're looking at only a 50/50 chance of being able to actually utilize her in labor (just going by the stats). Do doulas give refunds if you end up needing a scheduled c?
1. I think without my doula, I would have scheduled a c-s and it would have been terrible. As I mentioned, my doula loaned me "The Thinking Woman's Guide," and she just absolutely empowered me (young, single mom-to-be little me!) to take my birth, and claim it as mine! She was so incredibly helpful during my labor -- 4 years later, and about 25 states away, I totally credit her with being THE reason I had a beautiful vaginal birth.

2. As a doula, I do not give refunds for a scheduled c-s. I do not advocate scheduling a c-s unless there is a true medical emergency (in which case, it would be an emergency c-s, NOT a scheduled one). Being pregnant with twins is not a medical emergency. I have only had one client who has had a c-s and I had warned her during her pregnancy that I might not be able to help her avoid it (due to her CNM's incredible fat-phobia and the fact that client was obese -- but client wouldn't change providers and I find fat-phobia across the board with all the providers in our town). She did labor for a long time before choosing to have a c-s.
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
YumaDoula, thanks for your perspective. I guess I was basing my c/s assumption on my OB's recommendation for twin vag delivery - fine as long as twin A is vertex (and I have no desire to go against this recommendation if twin A is breech). Maybe scheduled is the wrong word, since if twin A is breech I could continue the pregnancy until labor started. I guess I'm just confused about the role of a doula in a pregnancy that ends in a c/s under those circumstances.
post #19 of 28
Our doula would still have been a help during c/s. She could/would have stayed w/me while my dh went with the boys and could also have helped me wrap my mind around c/s during and after the fact. She was worth her weight in gold. (I will forever regret not hiring a doula for my dd's birth.) She would have still charged a fee. I've recently submitted an insurance claim to have her fee reimbursed and have reason to believe it will be since I 'saved' them so much $ by going drug-free.
post #20 of 28
Originally Posted by jackson's mama View Post
I guess I was basing my c/s assumption on my OB's recommendation for twin vag delivery - fine as long as twin A is vertex (and I have no desire to go against this recommendation if twin A is breech). Maybe scheduled is the wrong word, since if twin A is breech I could continue the pregnancy until labor started. I guess I'm just confused about the role of a doula in a pregnancy that ends in a c/s under those circumstances.
Well I think a doula could help you make sure A stayed vertex with suggestions about positioning. Most people really have NO IDEA how important optimal fetal positioning is, and with twins it's extra important because you have to work with two! I believe it makes a difference in the length (and strength) of the labor.

Regardless of how a labor goes, a doula will still spend a lot of time with you both prenatally and post-partum. I usually spend an average of 12 hours of one-on-one time with my clients (and their dh's, if he isn't deployed -- I have a lot of military clients) not including labor. I'm willing to spend even more time than that -- you can really take advantage of having a doula. We have so much knowledge and experience that we are willing to share with you (I'm speaking generally; I know that even when I don't have clients I'm still constantly reading and learning about birth). A doula who has attended c-s can really mentally and psychologically prepare you for it in a way that just going to the hospital and signing the forms doesn't.

Obvs I *am* a doula, so I advocate strongly for doulas, but honestly even if I weren't a doula, I cannot tell you how grateful I am to my first doula for helping me have a vaginal birth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting Multiples
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › Vaginal hospital birth stories?