or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › Birth Stories for Multiples
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Birth Stories for Multiples

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
I know I mentioned this in a prior thread, but figured I'd make a separate thread just to request that we make a birth sticky for multiples. I tried doing searches in this forum, in the birth stories, in homebirth, in vbac, for anything related to multiple birth stories, and turned up TONS of irrelevant threads that were too overwhelming to search through (like, someone's signature in almost any forum might turn up twins, whether the thread was about it or not). Could we get a birth story sticky for multiples to help mamas like me (who just found out we're having twins) find birth stories about others' experiences?

post #2 of 62

Twin homebirth

Here's mine!

I went into labor on December 30th, 2005-my due date! I was so proud to have made it 40 weeks with twins, especially because everyone kept telling me "twins always come early." I got SO sick of hearing how my twins would come early, 36 weeks would be good enough, I was so huge didn't I just want them out of me, etc. I also would get mad everytime people told me my babies were going to be "so tiny." Even though I was so thrilled to have made it to 40 weeks, I was also starting to get pretty discouraged. I was measuring 50 centimeters and whenever I went in public I had begun to avoid eye contact with people because I was so sick of the looks. I was both proud and embarrassed to be so huge.

Anyway, I asked dh if we could go to the movies to help take my mind off things. So we dropped off 2.5 year old ds with his uncle and went to see Cheaper By the Dozen 2. Dh even let me get a drink and popcorn, which we never do because it is so expensive. Oh yeah, and we FINALLY got to use the Expectant Mother parking space, which just made my day because everytime we had gone to the mall they were taken. I would be furious saying no one was as big and pregnant and me and they were probably tiny ladies 5 months along using my spot. Yes, pregnancy hormones! I actually enjoyed the movie and was really not all that uncomfortable but I was having lot's of tightness and pressure, something that had been going on for weeks. We came home and I was still bored and restless, so we ordered some Chinese food. I think we just kind of sat around most of the day, and I went to bed early but could not sleep.

Around 7 pm I started feeling what I thought were contractions, but I was not sure. Around 9pm I called my midwife and she showed up around 11pm. I was 2 centimeters dilated and fully effaced but wasn't having any super strong or regular contractions so she went home. With my first son's labor my contractions never really got regular either. A few hours later I was still having contractions, but not really regular so I called my midwife. She came again and offered to stay with me. I desperately wanted to get into the birthing pool but mw said I needed to be 6 centimeters first so we didn't slow down labor. Most of labor is kind of fuzzy now. I remember laying on my side on the couch, in the bed, squatting, getting in and out of the pool about 4 times. I loved being in the pool but I was getting my strongest contractions laying down in the bed. After about 18 hours of labor my midwife checked me again (I was in the pool again) and my water broke. As soon as that happened I got all shaky and scared and I was like "what is going on, something changed, it hurts." Then my midwives (I had 2) said Nancy, your babies are coming! For some reason I totally freaked out and got really scared and they kept telling me to relax, let my body do it's job, etc.

I don't remember how long it took but before long I was able to start pushing. I was so loud and screamed during each push, not so much out of pain but fear I think. I am not sure why I was so scared. I think because my labor was so putzy and not very intense I kind of forgot the babies were actually going to come out. We didn't want to know the sexes of the babies but I was convinced they were 2 boys. I even had 2 matching boy gowns set out for them to wear. After several contractions I finally pushed out the first baby's head. Then we waited for the next contraction to come before I pushed again, but it took about 5 minutes! It was kind of weird just sitting there seeing the baby's head in the water with the rest of the body still in me. Contractions finally started up again and I was able to finish pushing the first baby out. She came out with her hand over her head and I ended up with a 2nd degree tear. It was a GIRL! I could not believe it but I was not disappointed like I thought I would be. Her cord was very short so I could not even pull her up to my chest. I had wanted her to get all her cord blood but with twins we couldn't really wait that long. After her cord was cut I was able to pull her up to my chest and start nursing while we waited for contractions for the next baby.

I figured any minute it would happen, but it took nearly an hour to start up again. Finally they did start up and I handed Jazmin over to get ready to start pushing again. I was actually terrified of pushing again, especially since baby number 2 was breech. I forget when, but sometime after Jazmin was born I felt the 2nd baby leap and it had turned transverse. The midwives were able to turn him to head down though, so that took away alot of my fear. When I was pushing the 2nd time, I felt a huge burst and I thought the baby had come flying out of me, but it turned out it was just the water bag breaking. Pushing out the 2nd baby was actually a little easier. As soon as the baby came out my midwife said Nancy you got your boy!! I was so happy. He was born 1 hour, 1 minute after his sister. He had a short cord too, so I couldn't hold him up to my chest right away either. After they cut the cord I was able to hold him and nurse him while we waited for the placentas. He latched on right away! I was so proud of him.

My midwives gave me some homeopathic drops under my tongue to help prevent hemmoraging since that can be common with twins. After taking some family pictures dh and I think dh's cousin took the babies while the midwives helped me out of the pool. I remember they got really serious and I said they were going to help me out very quickly and walk across the hall to my bedroom as quickly as possible. They told me to take a deep breath and to focus on a spot on the wall and not to faint. That kind of worried me that they seemed concerned but I was able to get up and quickly across the hall and into bed without fainting. It was such a weird sensation to be up and walking after delivering 15 lbs of babies, plus all the placenta weight, water and blood. As I was getting into bed there was a huge gush of blood and I heard my midwife say to the other one "Y, you have that pit?" I kind of got scared but was able to stay calm actually and she gave me a shot of pitocin in my thigh. My midwife later told me that since my labor had been so slow and putzy she didn't want to risk me hemmmoraging while we waited for me to get another contraction. In the end everything turned out great and I was told that she was really surprised how little I bled for a twin birth. I was surprised too, and I really haven't bled anymore than I did with my first birth.

After I was settled in bed they brought me my babies to nurse. After some time of trying to nurse and snuggle they did the newborn evaluation, right there on my bed. It was so cozy and peaceful, sitting in my own bed with my family watching as my babies got examined. It was sooo different than my first birth, where I delivered in an operating room and they immediately wisked my baby away as I screamed "give me back my baby, I want my baby!" I think that was the best part of having a homebirth. After the exams everyone left my room while I laid in bed with my babies. My midwife cleaned everything up and stayed a few hours out in the living room, then was back the next day to check on us, and again after 3 days. It was such a wonderful, non-intrusive experience and I am so grateful I didn't have to give birth in a hospital again.

Jazmin: 6 lbs 10 oz 4:03 pm
Noah: 8 lbs 4 oz 5:04 pm
post #3 of 62
There is a hospital birth stories in a post below perhaps there can be a sticky for twin homebirths and twin hospital births.
post #4 of 62
Thread Starter 
Here's some of the threads I've found so far that address multiple births...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=450019 (twin homebirthin' mama rollcall)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=576578 (vaginal hospital birth stories)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=90880 (any twins born at home?)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=303907 (did anyone have their twins at home)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=540849 (induced, no pain med hospital vaginal birth)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=522616 (hospital, triplets)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=536912 (breech/transverse c-section)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=530483 (vaginal triplets)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=506738 (hospital vaginal birth)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=494080 (general thread discussing twin homebirth)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=477095 (natural hospital birth)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=475405 (c-section, twins)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=479181 (planned twin c-section)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=462175 (general thread on vag. birth with triplets)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=448954 (general thread for twin waterbirth moms)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=444966 (general twin hospital birth thread)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=431512 (twin homebirth/waterbirth)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=413937 (whose twins were born at home?)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=402531 (twin hospital birth at 31 weeks, one vaginal one c-section)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=371162 (general thread on natural twin birth)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=378529 (twin vaginal birth, one footling)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=319345 (surprise twins, homebirth)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=227885 (general thread on natural twin birth)

That's it for now... I'll add more later, if any other pregnant-with-twins mamas find it useful (It sure is helping me organize some thoughts).
post #5 of 62
That's great, Christy - thanks so much for compiling all those links! I'm a birth story junky when I'm pregnant .
post #6 of 62
Here's the link to my twins' birthstory -- one vertex, one double footling breech in hospital at 37 weeks, no NICU stay. I just reread it for the first time and man, does that seem like a LONG time ago!

post #7 of 62
Maybe a dumb question, but are we only including the happy inspirational stories, or the preterm holy-hell-I-can't-believe-this-happened-but-hey-it's-my-birth-story-and-I-am-proud-of-it stories, too?
post #8 of 62
Thread Starter 
Well, some of the ones in the links I found were preterm, emergency type stories. If folks are like me, I want to read all of the stories I can.

To be honest, even in the freaky, pre-term labor stories I read, I'm still reassured by positive outcomes, if we define positive outcomes as healthy babies (even if after a NICU stay). I know none of us want to have preterm labor, but it sure is reassuring to see that even in a lot of those situations, things can be done to ensure a positive outcome in the end. :-)

As a side note, I clicked on Lillian and Kate's pictures in your sig-- they are ADORABLE! Makes me want to pinch those cheeks right through the computer screen!
post #9 of 62
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but are we only including the happy inspirational stories, or the preterm holy-hell-I-can't-believe-this-happened-but-hey-it's-my-birth-story-and-I-am-proud-of-it stories, too?
They do have the chubbiest cheeks! Sooo adorable.
post #10 of 62
Awww! You guys are too sweet! I think they're cute, too, but I'm sorta biased.

OK, I will come back with my birth story shortly. It involves 2 weeks on the high risk unit in PTL, every PTL drug and 1 vaginal, 1 section at 29 weeks, yet I still actually have pleasant memories of their birth, for which I am eternally grateful. I guess as far as a preterm delivery goes, I did as well as one could (though I wouldn't have minded skipping the section...oy!)
post #11 of 62
post #12 of 62
Christy, here's my twin birth story:


Good luck to you.
post #13 of 62
Here's my birth story... and happy to add that both are doing absolutely wonderful and are still both fully breastfed

My water started slowly leaking Wednesday night around 9:30pm. I went for a walk and then just layed in bed and relaxed for a while. Then I decided to take a shower and saw that the leaking water started getting more and more bloody, so my doula told me to immediately go to the hospital (I was planning on laboring at home as long as possible). I got to the hospital right around midnight, right as my contractions just started kicking in. By the time I was settled in, my contractions picked up like crazy and were extremely strong. When I first got there, I was only 2cm dilated, by about 1:30 or 2am, I was at 4cm. I was then given epidural and was able to rest up a bit. By 4am I was 7cm, and at 7am I was told that I was ready to start pushing (although I really had no urge to).

I was originally told that I would labor in the regular LDR room, and then when I was close to delivering, I would be transferred to the OR (standard procedure for twins)... well, they didn’t tell me just how close to delivery they would wait before transferring me... They kept me pushing in the LDR room until the first baby's head had crowned (my midwife actually had to fight the OR staff to get me in there at this point as they wanted to wait to transfer me until the first baby's head was 3/4 of the way out!!! NUTS). So yeah, they had me put down my legs, pushed me from LDR room to OR, and then had me "crab crawl" from the LDR bed to the OR table, all while the first baby's head is almost out!!!! I wonder if they'd ever tried doing this??? My OB showed up just as they finished transferring me to the OR (He wasnt the one on call and was I really bummed b/c I was told that he would not be able to make it, but he did )

Well, about 9hrs after my contractions kicked in, at 8:52am, baby boy was born, weighing in at 7lbs 13oz. He was followed by his baby sister at 9:10am (after the doc did an internal/external version... ouch!!!), who weighed 6lbs 7oz.

Because I was 2 days shy of 37weeks, the babies had to undergo several stupid & unnecessary tests and I was told that the babies could not be released before 48hrs... well, they were doing so well that we were allowed to go home after less than 36

I ended up calling baby boy Nicholas Gregory (Nick) [Gregory after my grandpa that passed away less than 3wks ago] and baby girl Catherine Claudia (Katie) [Claudia after one of my grandmas]. Both babies are doing a wonderful job nursing, although we did have a bit of a rough patch as my milk didn’t start coming in until the 5th day. Luckily, my sister has been here up until Sunday night and helped me sooo much by supplement-nursing my little munchkins a few times (she is still nursing her 10mo old).
post #14 of 62
This is loooong, unlike my pregnancy. My girls were born Tuesday, January 10th, 2006 at 29 weeks gestational age.

I had been having some braxton hicks contractions over the Christmas holiday, but they were very scattered so not a worry. Monday morning (12/26) they started coming every 8-10 min for about an hour. I had trouble reaching my doc (his service wasn't answering -xmas hangover?) and almost went to the hospital, but on the way I got the service, he called right away, and he said lie down on the left side,drink water, wait 2 hours, call if no change, but either way please call the office in the morning and make sure he sees me that day. They stopped. Totally. I felt fine.

Got ready to go Tuesday morning to the doc, felt fine for woman carrying 27-week twins. I had one contraction when I stood up in his office, but I wasn't worried. He does a fetal fibronectin test and internal exam, my cervix is closed. Then he does the transvaginal sono and my previously "long and closed" 3.5 cm cervix is down to 1.3 cm. Do not pass go, do not pick up husband, go staight to Labor & Delivery, he will call ahead and be there later.

They admitted me and put me on terbutaline, and put all the monitors on - 1 for contractions, 1 baby a, 1 for baby b. I was covered in monitors. I got 3 doses of injected terb, followed by oral every 4 hours. I started breaking through with contrax before 4 hours was up, so they went to 3 hours. That seemed to work. Kept the monitors on all night, etc. Nothing exciting recorded. Next day they sent me down for a sono with the maternal-fetal-medicine specialist, and although the babies looked awesome (2 lb 9 and 2 lbs 13 with fat bellies!) I was now 70% effaced, fingertip-1cm dilated. Within an hour I was in an ambulance, lights and sirens, on my way to North Shore University Hospital, because they have a better NICU in case my babies were going to be born.

Once I got there, they went through terb, indocin, and finally had me on a magnesium sulfate pump from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon, I believe it was. Mag sulfate is satan's drug but it stopped the contractions. I was in a labor and deliver room from Wednesday night to Thursday night, and then they moved me into their high-risk antenatal unit. I sat there, 90% effaced, still fingertip-1cm and on strict bedrest for 2 weeks (I did get bathroom privileges after a few days - whee!) They tried me on a terbutaline pump but it made me tachycardic (heart rate too fast) so I ended up on nifedipine for the duration. I had a few episodes that sent me back to L&D with the thread of more mag, but everything always stopped.

At 2:30 in the morning on January 10th, I woke up out of a sound sleep. I felt kind of wet and weird and thought maybe my water had broken. I stuck my hand down there and found it wet and immediately rang for the nurse. When she came I turned on the light and realized it wasn't water, it was blood. Had to try really hard not to panic. She called for the resident to come in, and in the meantime tried to keep me calm. I was afraid I'd had an abruption, but she told me if I had, I would be in constant pain and I was not.

The resident came in, checked my cervix and said I was now at 3cm (before I was 1-2) and that the blood was probably bloody show. OK, um, I thought bloody show was just a little blood. This was a LOT. Like a whole period at once, and it kept going. I called Ryan and told him to get up and get there, because it looked like we'd hit our expiration date. They took me down to labor and delivery again, put all the monitors on, and I was contracting every 1-2 minutes. Some of them I felt really strongly (and painfully) and some I didn't even notice. In came the bag of magnesium sulfate, which I didn't try to fight because I knew it was my only hope.

The mag slowed down the contractions considerably. They got as far as 20 minutes apart, though each one was quite painful. Around 11 they brought me down to maternal-fetal medicine and the doctor who usually does my Level IIs did a biophysical profile. He was very concerned when he saw how low Baby A was and asked when I had last had my cervix checked. I told him 3am and he said OK, he was going to call up and make sure someone checked my cervix when I got back to L&D. While we were waiting for the perinatalogist, I told Ryan I thought this was it. He was still in denial. But the contractions started coming closer together and were really really painful - enough that I couldn't really talk through them anymore.

I watched the doctor's face while she checked my cervix, and I saw her eyes get big. I was 6 cm, 100% effaced, and Baby A's membranes were bulging. That was it, she told us there was no way to stop it at this point, so we would stop the magnesium and have babies today. She reminded us how we had gotten two more weeks out of them and told me she highly recommended an epidural because both twins were head down and they were going to let me try vaginally (very important to me and that made me feel a lot better), but if I needed a c-section, having the epi on board already would save valuable time. I was fine with that, given the circumstances, and I could not believe the change in my personality outlook after I got the epi. I suddenly realized I had been in some level of pain for two weeks!

At that point, we called my parents, and invited them to come sit with us and wait for my water to break. They were allowed to hang in the delivery room until that point. Once we had time to get over the initial shock and fear, we started to get excited to meet our girls and to have the PTL ordeal over with. My parents were really great and supportive, and it was surprisingly nice to have them there. I was super-sleepy and drifted off a few times while they all chattered, which was fine.

Mostly we sat and watched the monitor to see how close the contractions were. They got to 3 minutes and incredibly regular, and the doc sent my parents out so she could check me. 10 cm, ready to rumble. Mom and Dad came in to kiss me good luck, and suddenly the medical parade began! Our quiet little room was invaded by neonatalogists, neonatal nurses, anesthesiologists, pediatricians oh my! I think there were a dozen of those people, plus the attending perinatalogist, my L&D nurse, and the two resident physicians who did most of the work.

They broke my water, which felt kind of cool - like a little internal "poink." The contractions started coming closer together, and it was time to push. They told me to push like I was constipated. LOL! With each contraction, they had me push 3 times. They were awesome, because they didn't count or anything - they just said OK...PUSH! and told me what a great job I was doing. I think we repeated that over 5-6 contractions, and then I got to see my Lillian's head emerging below - what an incredible feeling. They took her and cleaned her up, and let me hold her for the most amazing 15 or so seconds of my life. She was beautiful, with the sweetest little lips I had ever seen. I fell in love with her instantly, and it was heartbreaking to have to give her up. But, we had more business to attend to.

While I was falling in love, the doctors were locating Kate. Unfortunately, she must've seen her sister going down that narrow hallway and decided she wanted none of that. She didn't actually flip, but even more dastardly, she folded herself in half so that her head, hands, and feet were all right in the same spot. They said there was no safe way to get her out at that point but a c-section. I suppose if she'd been full term I might've wanted to wait and see if she moved, but although her vitals were good then, I wasn't willing to take any chances anyway.

They wheeled me next door to the OR, and pumped up my epidural. The section was a piece of cake, especially after all the work of pushing out the first baby. I didn't get to hold Kate, because one arm was in restraints, but Ryan did for about as long as I held Lillian. I got to look at her sweet little face, and fell for her just as I had her sister. She was so beautiful. I was so exhausted after that I nearly fell asleep while they closed me back up! Spent about an hour in recovery, and they brought me up to my room, which was about twice the size of the one I had lived in for the previous 2 weeks. They left the epidural in and gave me a PCA pump, which was very helpful. I couldn't sit in a wheelchair that night, so I couldn't go the NICU, which was awful. It was around 9 by the time I got to that room.

Ryan and my parents went to see the girls, and I was stuck just lying in bed with the phone and TV for distractions. That was the hardest part. Knowing that for 7 months I was everything to these babies, but now I couldn't even get out of bed to see then.

Having them in the NICU was amazing motivation to get moving. I started pumping the morning after they were born, and hauled myself or was hauled in a wheelchair to the NICU constantly. Being discharged without my girls was the worst night of my life, but I was back early the next day and every day for the next 2 months, except for one blizzard that stuck us at home.

The girls did well in the NICU. They were big fighters. Lilly was 3 pounds even, and was on a CPAP for 10 days, then moved to nasal cannula and then nothing. Kate was 2 pounds 13 ounces and stayed on a ventilator for 2 weeks, then moved to CPAP and to nasal cannula, which she eventually had to take home with her. She was on the supplemental oxygen until sometime in May. Both of them had a PDA (patent ductus arteriosis - a common preemie problem) which resolved with 2 courses of indocin. Their head sonos were all clear, and they had no issues other than normal preemie things - a little bradycardia but mostly problems holding their O2 saturation. They learned to breathe, suck, and swallow, and we did as much kangaroo care and breastfeeding practice as we could.

I never managed to get them fully on the breast. With the oxygen, the two babes, thrush, painful latch issues, nipple shields, and the pumping to maintain supply and to supplement them after BFing, I couldn't keep up. I ended up EPing for them and still am, nearly a year later. I intend to go to their adjusted age birthday - 3/27.

My girls had a truly harrowing entry to this world, but they have thrived. At nearly 1 year chronological age, they are healthy and strong and have only had 2 colds the whole time. They are on track for their adjusted age, and a little ahead, even. They are both pushing 19 pounds and are the most delightful little babies in the world. So, take heart and know that even a scary, medicalized preemie birth can result in something wonderful.

ETA some photos:

Lilly's first photo - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...abies_0047.jpg
Kate's first photo - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...abies_0053.jpg
First babies ever to co-bed at our NICU - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2..._kids20014.jpg
A few weeks ago - Lilly on the left, Kate on the right - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...wknd_06056.jpg
post #15 of 62
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post

Lilly's first photo - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...abies_0047.jpg
Kate's first photo - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...abies_0053.jpg
First babies ever to co-bed at our NICU - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2..._kids20014.jpg
A few weeks ago - Lilly on the left, Kate on the right - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...wknd_06056.jpg
Thank you for sharing your story!!! What adorable little faces!!!
post #16 of 62
Thread Starter 
Lovin' these stories! Keep 'em coming!

Here's another one I just found: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=240789 (twin waterbirth at home)
post #17 of 62
Thread Starter 
bumping for torio
post #18 of 62
This is a fabulous thread and christyc did so much work to put it together (thank you!!!). We just found out we're having twins and suddenly I feel like I need to begin my research all over so this is a perfect start. It would make a great sticky.

Any moderators out there?

post #19 of 62
Thread Starter 
Well, quite a few mamas responded, which made me VERY happy!

I'm over (most of) my anxiety about the births now, but still love reading the birth stories every now and then just to get the extra info!
post #20 of 62
Thread Starter 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting Multiples
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › Birth Stories for Multiples