or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Almost time for solids! - Page 3

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
A little earlier than I was planning, but it seems right and I'm not over feeding or replacing nursing so we are just having fun and letting him explore.
That's what sensitive parenting's all about, no?

I know the benefits of delaying solids, but for you folks who are dead-set on waiting another 2 weeks of whatever until baby's 6 months exactly even though baby's showing lots of signs of being ready, do you really think those 2 weeks are going to make that much difference?

Aren't "we" always coming down on mainstream parenting & medicine for not making allowances for the broad spectrum of normal child development?

I hope I don't sound critical... I'm just trying to understand...
post #42 of 59
The only thing with introducing solids is the allergy factor - it makes a lot of people nervous - for good reason.
post #43 of 59
I have had a child sensitive to foods (due to hospital formula at birth, she didn't do solids until much much later) and it really isn't any fun, if I can minimize that by waiting 2 weeks, for me it is a small price to pay.

I understand your point, but sometimes we, as parents, do have to go against what our children are ready for because we know what's best. For example if your child showed all signs of weaning at a year old would you just let them because you are following their lead, or would you keep on because it is what's best for them?

also not being critical just explaining my reasoning

tara
post #44 of 59
Well said tara. Also, my baby also grabs my keys, but I'm not going to let him drive.

I've looked at all the research, and I think it is very, very important to wait at least six months- allergies, obesity, crohn's, lots of other problems are a huge risk when introducing solids before six months.

I don't think waiting two weeks is a big deal.

What if your kid wants something that you think is unhealthy? Pop at a year?
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
I know the benefits of delaying solids, but for you folks who are dead-set on waiting another 2 weeks of whatever until baby's 6 months exactly even though baby's showing lots of signs of being ready, do you really think those 2 weeks are going to make that much difference?
Probably not But it sure can't hurt. Nate has infant eczema like Ryan did (you can probably see it around his mouth and on his hands in the pics I've posted, wherever he drools basically).

Ryan started solids at 4.5 months (at my friends' insistence, I caved), although he already had the eczema before starting solids, and I saw no difference after starting, and he has no allergies now that I know of.

A.J. started just shy of 6 months. But he wouldn't pick food up on his own for a long time, yet he really wanted the food, he just wanted to be hand-fed until close to a year or he'd stick his face into it (I think with him it was a sensory issue of getting his hands messy).

Besides, I'd like to practice what I preach. If I criticize a parent for feeding a 2 month old rice cereal and I say that the WHO guidelines recommend only breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months, why should they listen to me if I'm going to be a hypocrite and feed my own baby food before then.
post #46 of 59
E still really isn't interested. he'll watch me eat, but has had no inclination to grab anything from me or fuss at me about it. So, we're still waiting for him. He won't be 6mo until the 4th so we definitely have some time, but even then, nursing is going so well, so I won't pressure him.
post #47 of 59
We went out for sushi in Cambridge last night, and Nate has been getting reeeaaallly antsy at restaurants because he wants to participate. So I had an organic banana in my backpack and a little spoon, so I scraped tiny portions onto the spoon and he or my husband took turns with the spoon. He probably only ate a teaspoonful total, with milk in between and for dessert.
And this morning he was bouncing up and down leaping at me like a maniac when he saw my oatmeal with a spoon so I gave him some, but he didn't think very highly of it! I think he's going to appreciate breastmilk more now...he hasn't even tried to use me as a chewtoy today!
post #48 of 59
hehe, glad you guys are having fun w/ Nate!

Erin's totally into table-time... yesterday she grabbed my spoon out of my coffee cup while I wasn't paying attention (was terrified that she dunked her hand in my hot coffee!). These kids are amazing
post #49 of 59
We tried baby oatmeal at dinner tonight instead of my really grainy stuff. He liked it so much I had to make him more because he was pissed when it was gone!

None of my boys likes coffee so far (I'm the only one in the house who drinks any hot beverages). But whenever we're out for sushi I indulge in my only caffeine and have some green tea. A.J. always drinks half of it he loves it so much.
post #50 of 59
Thread Starter 
My older DD LOVES coffee. Maybe because we live in Seattle? I only drink decaf so I will share whatever I'm drinking with her.

I tried to give Eloise a little avocado on my finger, like a tiny tiny bit, and she made a terrible face and pushed it right out! Obviously not ready!
post #51 of 59
Lucas will be 6 months in a two weeks and I'm in no hurry to get him on solids. Breastfeeding is so easy. He does have a thing for glasses and reaches for my plate, but he wants to put everything in his mouth; the remote, my magazine, my ear, the cats, so I don't think he's necessarily wanting food.
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
yesterday she grabbed my spoon out of my coffee cup while I wasn't paying attention (was terrified that she dunked her hand in my hot coffee!)
oh, i don't think she was interested in the coffee (i certainly haven't let her taste it)... it's that shiny spoon she always wants to get her mits on!
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
My older DD LOVES coffee. Maybe because we live in Seattle? I only drink decaf so I will share whatever I'm drinking with her.
my DD is like this too. We get her a kids hot chocolate when ever we are out and she calls it her Latte. You sure get wierd looks when your young child is walking along saying "Mommy this latte is so good today"

tara
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by taradt View Post
my DD is like this too. We get her a kids hot chocolate when ever we are out and she calls it her Latte. You sure get wierd looks when your young child is walking along saying "Mommy this latte is so good today"

tara
I could totally see ds1 saying that. He's loves hot chocolate too!
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
I tried to give Eloise a little avocado on my finger, like a tiny tiny bit, and she made a terrible face and pushed it right out! Obviously not ready!
Nate just tried avocado this morning and loved it!

So far:
Yay: baby oatmeal, avocado
Nay: mama's oatmeal, pear
Eh: banana
post #56 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Nate just tried avocado this morning and loved it!

So far:
Yay: baby oatmeal, avocado
Nay: mama's oatmeal, pear
Eh: banana
That's funny that he is so picky about the oatmeal. Must be the texture?

I hope Eloise just had a "thing" about the avocado and is more interested when we officially introduce bananas to her in a couple of weeks. We'll see! She's also a little snarfully right now ad I wonder if she just didn't feel good enough to try something new.
post #57 of 59

So far

we have tried:

rice cereal and breast milk

bananas (jarred-we traveled this weekend)

I am in the process of reading Super Baby Foods, its : . Lots of information.
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post

I am in the process of reading Super Baby Foods, its : . Lots of information.
I have that book too and really like it. It was my first jumping off point into researching going veggie. Just one thing to consider, her chapter on protein combining has now been found to be unneccessary. (Sorry I can't remember where I read that now, I just know I remember being relieved to not have to worry about it anymore). Have you seen her update page? http://www.superbabyfood.com/updates2.htm
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
I have that book too and really like it. It was my first jumping off point into researching going veggie. Just one thing to consider, her chapter on protein combining has now been found to be unneccessary. (Sorry I can't remember where I read that now, I just know I remember being relieved to not have to worry about it anymore). Have you seen her update page? http://www.superbabyfood.com/updates2.htm
No, thank you for the information!~

The book is OVERWHELMING!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2006