or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › August 2007 › What are your plans for your placenta?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your plans for your placenta? - Page 2

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusmamma View Post
If I were bleeding the first things I'd do is get breastfeeding.
Very true, and for the most part will really help, but.... sometimes the baby won't nurse right after the birth (or when needed if bleeding occurs). This is why I'd go for the piece of placenta and stick it between my cheek and gums.
post #22 of 38
i plan on putting a peice between my cheek n gum or under my tongue, swallowing a peice and having the rest dried crushed and encapsulated by my mother and DH.
post #23 of 38
Thread Starter 
I seriously can not tell you how excited I am that there are so many mamas planningon injesting the placenta! I feel like a crazy person talking about it all the time, but it was so amazing to me the way it helped me, and if there is anyone out there that hasn't heard, or that has suffered severe(or even at all)PPD, I hope they will consider it.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo
I seriously can not tell you how excited I am that there are so many mamas planningon injesting the placenta!
I know me too!

And I just LOVE the fact that I can actually talk about it here and it isn't seen as weird, but a great thing to do!
post #25 of 38
I am glad to see others interested in this as well (note: interested does not = they have to do it or believe in doing it).

I could care less how crazy people think I am when I talk about it.

I know most people are turned off, but when I talk openly about it and not censor myself due to fear of other's thoughts, there are going to be those few out there who will start asking questions because they have never heard of it. Then they take that curiosity and research it out for themselves. Before you know it, regardless if they choose placentophagy or not, they have now become aware and informed about it. With that knowledge, they can then pass it on to others who are interested! I think this also helps decrease judgement and ignorance about the subject matter. I mean really, I don't care if people want to do it or not, but I do care if people make a big stink out of it instead of realizing that people do what they feel is best for them.

Ahh, the power of knowledge!
post #26 of 38
I currently plan on burying it somewhere in the yard, but part of me wants to sautee it in butter and chow down just to gross out the gals on my Catholic forum. But right now I can't even think about eating organ meat of any kind. In fact, I'm having trouble eating much of any kind of meat, and I've never been a vegetarian before. I think if the idea of eating it sounds good at the moment, I'll do it. But I don't think I'll bother with the capsules.
post #27 of 38
I am still trying to figure out what to do with the two that are in my freezer

yes, I know it has been an incredibly long time! They have been moved to several different houses in the past 7 and 5 years! I figured with the new one coming, it was probably time to do something with them now!

I always planned on burying them under a tree or something, but I never had a good place to do it. I have always rented and my parents house was (and is on and off) for sale. I wanted them to be somewhere kind of permanent.

Hmm....my grandpa does have land up in Northern Michigan. Maybe I will take them up there!

I have no idea what I will do with this one. Maybe I will take them all up together.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada Mae
I know most people are turned off, but when I talk openly about it and not censor myself due to fear of other's thoughts, there are going to be those few out there who will start asking questions because they have never heard of it. Then they take that curiosity and research it out for themselves.
JM you are sooooooo bang on there.

When I first saw a post about it here on MDC about women eating the placenta I thought "you have got to be freakin' kidding me!" : It totally grossed me out. But I am very open minded if I do say so myself : so I kept reading and did more research and the more I read the more it made sense and wasn't so weird anymore. I didn't realize until I started reading more and researching all the amazing benefits of it. So, within a short time frame I went from thinking "eeeew GROSS" to "I'm gonna eat my placenta!"


post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaKoz View Post
JM you are sooooooo bang on there.

When I first saw a post about it here on MDC about women eating the placenta I thought "you have got to be freakin' kidding me!" : It totally grossed me out. But I am very open minded if I do say so myself : so I kept reading and did more research and the more I read the more it made sense and wasn't so weird anymore. I didn't realize until I started reading more and researching all the amazing benefits of it. So, within a short time frame I went from thinking "eeeew GROSS" to "I'm gonna eat my placenta!"


Yeay MammaKoz! See, that is the kind of stuff I am talking about. And I am not jumping up and down because you have decided to consume your placenta, but instead of being ignorant about it and judging it/others, you took time to learn about it. I mean, some people will learn about it and still think its gross, but at least they have an understanding of it and I feel with that understanding they will be less likely to judge people about it.

It will be interesting to share our stories after the birth of our babes and see how the placentophagy worked out for us ("us" meaning anyone on this group who are planning to do this. I'd like to compare notes! ).
post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada Mae View Post
Yeay MammaKoz! See, that is the kind of stuff I am talking about. And I am not jumping up and down because you have decided to consume your placenta, but instead of being ignorant about it and judging it/others, you took time to learn about it. I mean, some people will learn about it and still think its gross, but at least they have an understanding of it and I feel with that understanding they will be less likely to judge people about it.

It will be interesting to share our stories after the birth of our babes and see how the placentophagy worked out for us ("us" meaning anyone on this group who are planning to do this. I'd like to compare notes! ).
post #31 of 38
I would hear things about the placenta,but it never dawned on me until this time I met with a midwife and she said that they would give me recipe's for the placenta. No one ever told me that at a hospital. I wonder if you asked for your placenta at a hospital if they would give it to you? Anyway, I plan on a homebirth this time and will keep my placenta for the future, I heard it was excellent to take to get women through menapause.

I think my mom won't have a problem preparing these recipes. She is funny at my twins birth she was touching and looking at the placenta when the doc stepped out. Saying this is so cool.
post #32 of 38
I will not be able to have my placenta I tried to weasle it from the drs after Raeden's birth but they claimed it was hazardus material and threw it away.
post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 
I am pretty sure if you push it they have to give it to you. It is part of your body. I would ak the hospital too.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusmamma View Post
There is nothing that I can think of that excludes lotus birth as an option. You can have a lotus birth if you are having hospital birth, homebirth, twins, c/section - any kind of birth. You can certainly take a bite while the placenta is still attached. You can do placenta prints while the placenta is still attached. You can dry and encapsulate the placenta and by the time the cord separates the placenta is mostly dried out.
I plan on having a lotus birth and then continuing to dry and encapsulate it. If I hemmorhage (again) I will eat a chunk (again), but it will still be attached, which I learned is fine. I feel I can reap the most benefits this way. Since I hemmorhaged and fainted last time, I will probably eat a chunk as soon as it comes out, regardless, but we will still keep it a lotus birth. With the last birth, the cord snapped as I fainted We had planned a lotus birth. As for drying and encapsulating, I can't see myself doing this immediately postpartum, but once the cord detaches, I think I'll be more able by then.
post #35 of 38
does it have to be cooked, or is it more effective eaten raw? i would think that it would lose alot of it's properites being made into a powder and put in a capsule.

i hadn't really thought much about what i was going to do with mine. my previous ones were just thrown out. :

i have heard something about celebrities and other people in high society having "placenta parties" in which they have the placenta made in to some sort of pate and serve it to the guests. an interesting concept. of course, i wouldn't be able to tell any of my guests what it was if i wanted them to eat it... man, i can see the looks on their faces now if i let them eat it and then told them afterward!
post #36 of 38
didn't mean to kill the thread
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
does it have to be cooked, or is it more effective eaten raw? i would think that it would lose alot of it's properites being made into a powder and put in a capsule.

i hadn't really thought much about what i was going to do with mine. my previous ones were just thrown out. :

i have heard something about celebrities and other people in high society having "placenta parties" in which they have the placenta made in to some sort of pate and serve it to the guests. an interesting concept. of course, i wouldn't be able to tell any of my guests what it was if i wanted them to eat it... man, i can see the looks on their faces now if i let them eat it and then told them afterward!
I would never allow others to eat my placenta (well, if my partner wanted to, that is different, he helped make the baby so it is part of him, too). It is a spiritual thing for me.

You didn't kill the thread!

Yes, eating it raw is where you are going to get the most nutrients out of the placenta. However, I want to take it everyday for quite a while pp. I guess you could freeze it and then thaw parts of it everyday and it would preserve it that way, but I would rather encapsulate it for the "long haul." Which ever way(s) that people come up with, at least you are gaining something rather than nothing from your placenta.
post #38 of 38
I think we're going to dry and encapsulate again. we did this w/ Lily, and I think it helped, although I wasn't that great at taking the pills....

NOTE: buy the smaller size capsules and not the bigger/horsepill ones, even though they might be cheaper!! (at least the pill-holder thingy). After making them, I realized they were horsepills and not fun to take. So I'm getting a new "Cap 'em quick" which is what my pill holder thing is called.

Oh, and dh did it all for me!!! he was so super. It totally grosed us out at first, but after a while, it was super cool.

Oh, and we have to make prints too.

I was also going to make a tincture, but decided against it since we did the pills. Anyone heard of this? I guess I read something on the internet about it (where else?!)

And I was the only person on my due date group on MDC to do this w/ Lily. People are much more open to it all, even just 3 yrs later! Sweet!

And I still have a small container of placenta powder in the freezer. It's been moved and defrosted, stored in a car, etc multiple times, so I'm sure it's not good anymore, but I don't know what to do w/ it.... Haven't decided on the appropriate send-off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › August 2007 › What are your plans for your placenta?