or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Mold in my kombucha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mold in my kombucha

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have searched through, but I can't find a thread about mold only on the tea. I just checked my kombucha today and it has mold growing on top of the liquid, but not touching the scoby. Everything I read only talks about it growing on the scoby and says to throw the scoby out and start over with a new one if it gets moldy. I don't want to do this if I don't have to, so do I have to? Can I just spoon the mold out of the tea and leave it or start over with the same scoby?
post #2 of 7
are you sure it's mold? sometimes kombucha has dark brownish strands or lumps of probiotics in it...my dad says they look like pigeon poop. lol.

if it really is mold, i would throw it all out and start anew, to be on the safe side.
post #3 of 7
Well if it is indeed mold, you should chuck the whole thing, but I would give it a few days to make sure. At the early stages when the new scoby is forming at the top, it looks very much like mold.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
Well if it is indeed mold, you should chuck the whole thing, but I would give it a few days to make sure. At the early stages when the new scoby is forming at the top, it looks very much like mold.
My thoughts exactly!
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
No, it's definitely mold, without a doubt. When I went to get it out, there was a new baby growing there - it was just so new that it didn't look like a baby yet, because it was transparent. I pulled the new scoby out with all the mold and I'm starting over with new tea. I added vinegar to the new tea (per some instructions I found online) since there's absolutely no mold at all on the mama scoby. Supposedly, the vinegar will make the new tea acidic enought to kill any mold, since I couldn't use the old tea since it might have mold spores in it. There could be some on my scoby, but I'm going to try it and see. If it grows mold again, then I'll chuck the scoby.
post #6 of 7
In this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=587727

tinuviel_k gives a link to an interesting kombucha site that has info on mold...

I had a mold experience and decided to purge completely and start over.

good luck!
post #7 of 7
Mmm, if you feel it's mold for sure, I'd start over, fresh.

Most molds can be innocuous, but some are really nasty and cause you no end of bad reactions. I'd make sure no plants are near your brewing area and was down the counter tops near the brewing area with a mild bleach solution. You do NOT want mold in your Kombucha....

Are you using organic tea/sugar? You can use some bottled kombucha as a starter, rather than vinegar, if you want to be sure you are not growing vinegar, rather than Kombucha. NEVER use unpasturized vinegar as pH adjuster, it will contaminate your kombucha and you will produce a vinegar plant, not a SCOBY of Kombucha.

Can't think of anything else atm But wanted to back the notion of mold being very bad and it's better to start over totally fresh.

Heather
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Mold in my kombucha