or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Wild Chicken Pox vs. After Vaccine Chicken Pox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wild Chicken Pox vs. After Vaccine Chicken Pox

post #1 of 2
Thread Starter 
I have 4 kids. My oldest (my poor guinea pig) is 9 and was fully vaccinated as a baby.: I dind't know any better blah, blah, blah! Anyway, she did not receive any kindergarten boosters.

My 2nd daughter will be 5 in April. I was set on not vaccinating her at all, but her very mainstream ped (at the time) scared me into giving her one or 2 although "m not sure which ones they were. I'd have to look. She hasn't had anymore after that,

Daughters 3 and 4 (2.5 and 5 months) are not vaccinated.

Well, we are on the hunt for chicken pox! A friend exposed her 3 year old. The 3 year old never broke out, but the child who was in the sling the whole time they were there and never even touched any of the poxey (is that a word?) kids broke out. He is 8 months old. He flew through the pox with flying colors. Never even had a fever. It will be interesting too see if he gained immunity. Anyway, that happened over christmas while we were out of town. Another friend exposed her kids. I'm hoping they break out.
Then I find out another friend exposed her kids to someone who had gotten the pox, but was vaccinated for them. It was a child in girl scouts.

That got me thinking. Is there a difference in exposing kids to wild chicken pox vs. after a vaccine chicken pox? Is there even such a thing as wild chicken pox anymore? Is the likelyhood that somewhere down the line someone with the vaccine broke out?

Also, My 9 year old was vaccinated for pox when she was 1 and the vaccine was fairly new. Is there anything special I should know about before I expose her? Will she get it?? I was thinking she would, because the immunity from the vaccine only lasts for so many years, right its not permanent immunity that is likely to come from getting the pox? Or am I misunderstanding the vaccine or disease itself?

Chandi
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
Is there a difference in exposing kids to wild chicken pox vs. after a vaccine chicken pox?
No.

Quote:
Is there even such a thing as wild chicken pox anymore? Is the likelyhood that somewhere down the line someone with the vaccine broke out?
Yes to both.

Quote:
Also, My 9 year old was vaccinated for pox when she was 1 and the vaccine was fairly new. Is there anything special I should know about before I expose her?
No.

Quote:
Will she get it??
Chances are good that she will.

Quote:
I was thinking she would, because the immunity from the vaccine only lasts for so many years,
Right.

Quote:
its not permanent immunity that is likely to come from getting the pox?
Not even the natural disease guarantees life long immunity. But chances are pretty good that you won't get symptoms again if you had it naturally.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Wild Chicken Pox vs. After Vaccine Chicken Pox