or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › happy meal did you know you can?!?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

happy meal did you know you can?!?! - Page 7

post #121 of 134
easy quick foods. there is a great cookbook out there "not your mother's slow cooker recipes" excellent and FAST
post #122 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are so helpful!!!!
I know that my next question probably isn't a particularly healthful one but here goes:
Frozen foods/TV Dinners... anything you'd recommend?
I have FM and CFS and there are days when my joints feel like they are filled with ground up glass and I can't even stand up well enough to try to cook for anymore than a few minutes. I have relied on fast food and frozen food a lot during these times and I don't really know what to replace it with other than the suggestions you just gave. So anything in the freezer aisle that's good?

Namaste,

Michelle
have you thought of buying a crock pot they are so easy to use and they make whole cook books on crock pot cooking all you do is throw all the ingredients into it and let it cook all day and then you have a tasty hot meal at the end of the day
post #123 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
have you thought of buying a crock pot they are so easy to use and they make whole cook books on crock pot cooking all you do is throw all the ingredients into it and let it cook all day and then you have a tasty hot meal at the end of the day
Just don't put the stuff in to start the night before, and accidentally leave it on high all night. That was the most utterly tasteless chicken soup that I can imagine...
post #124 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Just don't put the stuff in to start the night before, and accidentally leave it on high all night. That was the most utterly tasteless chicken soup that I can imagine...


Well- what about the time I put in the roast and spaced all the veggies/spices/etc and still cooked it.... THAT was the most tasteless thing in the world. It had me reconsider my desires to become a meat eater....
post #125 of 134
Thanks so much for all the suggestions ladies. You have been so helpful.
I do have a crockpot and use it all the time but never thought of cutting and freezing ahead of time so that I have stuff already prepared for the bad days.
I will do that. I just bought the fix it and forget it for entertaining cookbook. I really like it. Some of the stuff is high fat and not terribly healthy, but I am sure most, if not all recipes can be modified.
I also like the idea of setting aside a day to cook and then freeze the food. I am moving in about a week into a large house with my first ever double door fridge, wohoo!!!!! So I finally will have enough room in my freezer for some frozine casseroles and soups that I can just thaw.

Thanks again to everyone. You guys rock!!!!

Namaste,

Michelle
post #126 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyBoo View Post
You don't need an excuse for chocolate. It's a food group. :
The other day DD 3 next week told me she needed some chocolate to make her healthy and strong. I wish!

I was trying to sneak some but she has chocoradar - no idea where she gets it from!
post #127 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to start a *drive through* fast food chain that offers 100% whole wheat, real meats, dark leaf lettuce/spinace, etc. Basically it would totally rock if someone would start a chain based on the stuff you can buy at Whole Foods. Us crunchy types get busy and need to grab something quick sometimes too you know. And a lot of people would come just because it's touted as "healthier".
Hey! That was my idea! I was just talking about it with my mom a few weeks ago. Around here Good Times has taken a step in the right direction by using Coleman natural beef, but they don't have whole wheat buns. And I heard Wendy's is going to start using a different frying oil to lower and/or eliminate the trans fat in their nuggets and fries. And it seems that all the fast food joints are trying to offer healthier options - salads and such.

I would love a place that offered organic fast food!! That would be awesome. I'm sure it would be expensive though.
post #128 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
Hey! That was my idea! I was just talking about it with my mom a few weeks ago. Around here Good Times has taken a step in the right direction by using Coleman natural beef, but they don't have whole wheat buns. And I heard Wendy's is going to start using a different frying oil to lower and/or eliminate the trans fat in their nuggets and fries. And it seems that all the fast food joints are trying to offer healthier options - salads and such.

I would love a place that offered organic fast food!! That would be awesome. I'm sure it would be expensive though.
Well we already have whole wheat cereals and organic options in most of the aisles at the grocery store - I don't know what it's taking restaurants so long to figure out. I am glad to hear about all the places eliminating trans fats. It's about time! I wonder if there's a group out there telling fast food how to clean up it's act. I'd send letters. It's completely possible to make healthier food just as fast as McBurgers - just need new ingredients.
post #129 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama View Post
Well we already have whole wheat cereals and organic options in most of the aisles at the grocery store - I don't know what it's taking restaurants so long to figure out. I am glad to hear about all the places eliminating trans fats. It's about time! I wonder if there's a group out there telling fast food how to clean up it's act. I'd send letters. It's completely possible to make healthier food just as fast as McBurgers - just need new ingredients.

I agree!
post #130 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama View Post
Well we already have whole wheat cereals and organic options in most of the aisles at the grocery store - I don't know what it's taking restaurants so long to figure out.
Where would we be able to find enough organic beef to supply McDonald's?
post #131 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post


Well- what about the time I put in the roast and spaced all the veggies/spices/etc and still cooked it.... THAT was the most tasteless thing in the world. It had me reconsider my desires to become a meat eater....
Yup. Crock pots are great, but you've got to be careful. I meant to tell dh to turn the heat down to low, then turn it off in the morning. I was going to add all the veggies and spices in the early afternoon. But, I forgot to ask dh to turn it off.
post #132 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
I just bought the fix it and forget it for entertaining cookbook. I really like it. Some of the stuff is high fat and not terribly healthy, but I am sure most, if not all recipes can be modified.
I'm inclined to suspect that even "not terribly healthy" homecooking beats stuff like McD's by a mile.
post #133 of 134
Last thing I new about McDonalds was the lettuce they use is iceburg. If this is still the case then it is pretty much pointless to eat more of it- that stuff is nutritionally useless.
post #134 of 134
here here - very well said boobybunny!!!!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › happy meal did you know you can?!?!