or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › How to keep Blood pressure down
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to keep Blood pressure down

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
There have been a bunch of posts recently about blood pressure issues in pregnancy.

Can anyone give any info on how to keep your blood pressure from climbing too high towards the end of pregnancy. I know bp does increase, but what are ways to keep it under the PIH / you must be induced kind of threshold.

I know that lying on your left side helps - although that isn't the most practical all the time.

Anyone want to add anything?
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjm View Post
There have been a bunch of posts recently about blood pressure issues in pregnancy.

Can anyone give any info on how to keep your blood pressure from climbing too high towards the end of pregnancy. I know bp does increase, but what are ways to keep it under the PIH / you must be induced kind of threshold.

I know that lying on your left side helps - although that isn't the most practical all the time.

Anyone want to add anything?
Yeah. Don't talk to your Mother-in-law
post #3 of 17
Sam... this is a topic close to my heart!!!

I'm currently doing a number of things inclucing: accupuncture, taking supplements - magnesium, fish oil, garlic oil, drinking lots of water 2-3 litres a day, keeping my protein level to about 100gms, doing my hypnotherapy tapes daily, meditating in my pool (floating and just relaxing to the max).

I would say that its hard to tell what is "working" for me. My BP at home is around 130/75 but in the MW office its 140/88-90. I think acupuncture is totally Fab!!! and I found someone who has lots of pregnancy experience. I'm going to start going twice a week soon (I'm 37 weeks and 3 days now) just to keep things going ok.

good luck with it.
post #4 of 17
Because I had high blood pressure in my first pregnancy, my midwife has given me a list of ways to 'prevent' high blood pressure again, although with a second pregnancy I am less likely to experience it again. It recommends exercise every day, resting for 1/2 hr 3 times a day, as well as suppements; the ones I take are vit. E, flax seed oil (omega 3), Kyolic garlic is the big one- in pills, odourless, and calcium.
So far so good!
A
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
Because I had high blood pressure in my first pregnancy, my midwife has given me a list of ways to 'prevent' high blood pressure again, although with a second pregnancy I am less likely to experience it again. It recommends exercise every day, resting for 1/2 hr 3 times a day, as well as suppements; the ones I take are vit. E, flax seed oil (omega 3), Kyolic garlic is the big one- in pills, odourless, and calcium.
So far so good!
A
do you take this in addition to prenatals? (HAd same problem with first preg and thinking I should start taking different supplements)
post #6 of 17
I have chronic high blood pressure and a history of pre-e & HELLP...
I'm taking magnesium & calcium along with my prenatals & folic acid. I'm also taking baby aspirin & daily injections of a blood thinner... hopefully I can get to 28-30 weeks this time.
post #7 of 17
Please, do anything you can to try to keep your bp in check - my SIL was induced at 36w5days because her blood pressure shot up to 170/120! She started retaining a lot of water and felt really light-headed and had really bad headaches. She went to CVS and took her bp and just about fainted when she saw it. It was a Sunday and they had her go to the ER right away and they induced her that night. Her labour progressed very quickly, and when her baby was born she went to the NICU only for a quick check-up, but it was totally unexpected. It's dangerous for mama and baby to have high bp - I never even knew about it until this happened to SIL. Good luck, mamas!
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo515 View Post
do you take this in addition to prenatals? (HAd same problem with first preg and thinking I should start taking different supplements)
Yep, I do. I can give you the recommended amounts, although right now at 1 pill/day (with each except vit E-I get rls too) I'm under the recommended amt.
A
post #9 of 17
I just wanted to add that 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar in the juice of 1/2 a lemon is also a remendy used for high BP. You take it for three days rest for two and repeat as needed. I'm also doing this.
post #10 of 17
Stay away from salt! LOL!
That was my BIG thing with DD.
I couldn't stay away from it!
post #11 of 17
Sam,
I'm battling this, too, and I'm getting my BP to reduce, just by doing these things:
1) Seriously, it is physically imperative to try to avoid stress. This means I have delegated more of the day-to-day 'fights' to my DH (like when the oil man over-charged us or the repairman broke my drier.) I've also skipped a few meetings at work, if I could, and started working from home 1 or 2 days a week, if possible.
2) Try to lie down on my left side, quietly, at least 20 mins at least 3x/day. (My m/w recommended 4x/day, but I just can't seem to find that time or remember.) Usually I do it 1 or 2 x/day
3) Take a good calcium+magnesium supplement just before bed. My m/w said your body absorbs it better at night when you are not drinking or eating anything else.
4)SWIM, SWIM, SWIM! Just being in the water helps, but swimming/exercising in the water is supposed to really help. The weight off of my back and knees feels good, too.
5)Yoga/meditation at night after work, as often as I can. I usually get to this about 4x/week
6) Of course, reduce salt, which also means reduce pre-made/store-made foods, fast foods, foods that come from a package or can, fried food, cured meats...
7) Drink LOTS of water - more than you think you can. When we drink LOTS of water, it helps reduce water retention and bloating, which, in turn, is related to our BP.
8) Exercise daily is very important. Just a 20 min walk a day is enough to help if you are not already doing this. I'm now either walking or doing a short pilates DVD in the morning, and swimming or doing yoga in the evening. I miss a lot of 'sessions', both morning and night, but it is more than before!

Good luck! I'm only 21w and struggling w/it already. I'm terrified of being induced and not having the waterbirth that I want for me and my baby. (FWIW, this has also slowed down my weight gain, which I'm sure is helping the BP, too.)
post #12 of 17
I'm not trying to say that other's advice is wrong at all. This was just my experience. With my first pregnancy I had to increase my salt intake at the end of my pregnancy to keep blood pressure and swelling under control. It really helped.

My understanding is that as your blood volume increases you need salt to help your body regulate the increase in body fluids.

I think I should add that I usually do not add salt to anything, even while cooking and I was not eating fast food or really anything super processed/salty . My midwife thought that I was not getting enough salt so I added salt while cooking (in small amounts) and would eat a few salted crackers or some salted nuts when my blood pressure was getting high or I was noticing swelling.

I hope you find the right solution for your body!
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
I'm not trying to say that other's advice is wrong at all. This was just my experience. With my first pregnancy I had to increase my salt intake at the end of my pregnancy to keep blood pressure and swelling under control. It really helped.

My understanding is that as your blood volume increases you need salt to help your body regulate the increase in body fluids.

I think I should add that I usually do not add salt to anything, even while cooking and I was not eating fast food or really anything super processed/salty . My midwife thought that I was not getting enough salt so I added salt while cooking (in small amounts) and would eat a few salted crackers or some salted nuts when my blood pressure was getting high or I was noticing swelling.

I hope you find the right solution for your body!
I was just reading in Sheila Kitzinger's "The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth": "It used to be thought that salt was dangerous in pregnancy and was one cause of preeclampsia. It has now been established that salt is necessary for a normal pregnancy." She suggests eating as much salt as your appetite dictates.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
"It used to be thought that salt was dangerous in pregnancy and was one cause of preeclampsia. It has now been established that salt is necessary for a normal pregnancy." She suggests eating as much salt as your appetite dictates.
I must admit I have read the same advice from many sources. I don't add salt to food anyway but I'm definately not advoiding salt. In the end you have to find out what works best for your body. I wouldn't be surprised if restricting salt actually causes more probs. I'm not a medico so I don't know. My midwife also says that exercise is important but talk to my doctor and he would have me in bed all day!
post #15 of 17
I'm trying to keep my bp under control as well. I would make a distinction between unhealthy refined salt (as in refined foods) and good healthy salt which is necesary. Other than that eating lots of raw fruits and veggies helps.
post #16 of 17
Sea salt was recommended to me (and told specifically NOT to worry about it increasing bp).

Jessica
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieBaby View Post
I'm taking magnesium & calcium along with my prenatals & folic acid.
I've seen people recommend ca/mag supplements, but no one ever talks about recommended amounts. How much of each, and is it better to get single mineral pills or combo ones?? I nearly bought some at the health food store the other day, but couldn't figure out what exactly to buy :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
Sea salt was recommended to me (and told specifically NOT to worry about it increasing bp).
I had high (for me) BP at my midwife appointment today, and she recommended "lounging around, on your left side if possible" (but NOT bedrest, necessarily) and salting my food to taste. I also don't eat a lot of processed or fast food, but LOVE salt on things...and usually ignore that "craving" I think I'll give into it a little bit more. I've had hyponutremia before (low levels of electrolytes in the blood - your blood is "watered down" so to speak), so I know how important that balance can be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › How to keep Blood pressure down