or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe-February
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut Tribe-February

post #1 of 251
Thread Starter 
Here's the new thread...it's been quiet around here lately!
post #2 of 251
Thread Starter 
Update for us: I'm back on grains, eating a serving or two of brown rice, millet, or buckwheat a day. So far so good--no candida symptoms. I've caught a brown rice flour sourdough starter, and am going to try making some fermented apple butter so I can have brown rice sourdough biscuits and pancakes occasionally--otherwise I have nothing to top them with and I figure fermented fruits are the best way to go. It's going to be an interesting experiment baking, though, since we are off eggs--DD started spitting up a bit almost every day after I introduced eggs into her diet so I cut them out and the spitting up stopped.

I think DD's eczema is starting to clear a bit (at least her skin feels softer) now that the eggs are gone. I'm starting her on protease enzymes in between meals along with her Candex. I've also started her on EPO and am giving her enzymes with her meals. I have some OOO that I'm going to give her eventually, too (one thing at a time). I'm still considering doing Failsafe at some point although I'd rather exhaust every other possibility to help her first. Failsafe would mean such a huge change and I don't want to do it unless I feel I have to. DD's sleep is horrible right now--I generally can't get her to bed until 9 or 10 (she just won't go to sleep no matter how tired she is) and then she is up 4-6 times in the night. If I do manage to get her to sleep early, she wakes up several times before I go to bed. I feel like I am mentally exhausted by the sleep issues, and also by the extra effort of cooking two different meals for myself and DD (really 3 different meals most days since I am baby-sitting a 21 month old who eats the SAD). Plus there's the stress of trying to keep the 21-month-old's food away from DD since she eats things that DD is allergic/intolerant to. I have a couple of appointments for health kinesiology set up for DD and I'm hoping those will help her sleep better, or eliminate some of her allergies/intolerances, or something.
post #3 of 251
Hi all, still around. We have been doing Failsafe for 5 weeks and have kind of hit a stand still after having a week of many unintended mistakes. The improvements have been good and so I still feel like it is worth it to stick with the diet for longer. Sleep issues only pop up here now when we get some amines, but then again DS has been a pretty good sleeper all along. We have some obvious behavior changes when we make mistakes too, whether amines or salicylates. DS is so calm and sweet and when we get amines he is really cranky and will whine non stop, throw his toys, gets fidgety with his hands and cannot control his motor functions as well. I never thought before starting this diet that DS had any behavior issues and mistakes become more obvious as we have more good days.

Caedmyn, wow 3 separate meals! That is tough. You must spend most of your day either cooking or cleaning up the dishes. DS and I basically eat the same things and I make a pot of something every few days for DH. Sometimes we eat the same things but it is harder on this diet to share a meal because everything is so bland. Glad taking eggs out helped your DD, eggs are the first thing I may challenge with.
post #4 of 251
caedmyn - could she be reacting to sulfur?
post #5 of 251
here's a new one.

dh started having weird digestion a few weeks ago. all his signs pointed to poor sulfur metabolism. he's taking Homeopathic Sulfur, waiting on the remedy Secale Cornutum to arrive and then he'll switch to it. he's also taking just a broad spectrum digestive enzyme (MegaZyme). still has weird things - like visible movement in his belly intermittently (looks like a fetus movement); nasty stool and gas - stinky with some undigested food.

last week we learned that he has an inguinal hernia. he's waiting to get scheduled for surgery.

anyhooo.... i keep telling him that his weird digestive issues are likely because of the hernia. that's what MY gut is telling me. i just can't find anything to back me up. on theother hand, i have found that some people who do get inguinal hernias do so because they have abnormal collagen metabolism, likely because of ascorbic acid deficiency.
post #6 of 251
Hi everyone,

Still trucking along. I'm feeling a bit like we are floundering now without a real direction to try.

I'm keeping a detailed food, poop, suppliments, sleep diary for me and dd. We go see a naturopath to go over it in another week. Not sure what to expect from the appointment.

We tried diflucan. It made no difference in me that I could see. I got checked yesterday for yeast in my vagina and at least that was gone. DD had diahrea for about half the treatment course. I think that was why (but it can be really hard to tell these things) Not sure what that means for her.

I have a polyp in my uterus that hopefully I'll be getting removed in another month.

My gall bladder has finally calmed down and I'm feeling much better in that dept. I have started supplimenting with iodine and it is making a huge improvement in my patch test. Not really noticing any other benefits but now I can keep a yellow mark on my belly for much longer.

DD is sick for the 8th time since the begining of Sept. I'm begining to think I need to just stop going to church in the Winter with her. I know she is getting all these colds from our over crowded church nursery. It seems like most people think that if their kid isn't completely miserable they should go to nursery and infect every other kid. :

So many of the low amie foods are ones we are allergic to. I don't feel like that is a diet we can try.
post #7 of 251
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could join you. I have been posting a few times around here and haven't gotten too much response. MY story is that I have a 3 month old son named Alec and he has been having blood in his stools on and off for a while. I have been dairy, soy, egg, citrus, beef, nut, free for 3 weeks and 1 day. I was wheat free for 2 weeks but for sanity reasons had to add it back in. He seems fine with it and I don't think that is his issue. He doesn't have blood everyday anymore(well, that I can see) but it still pops up occasionally. He seems very comfortable since I took out the dairy. He sleeps 5 hour stretches at night which I consider to be great for a co-sleeping, bfing, babe. My non allergic dd didn't do that until she was 2! He also takes great naps and just never *seems* bothered.

It is so frustrating getting to the bottom of his issues. I have received some great tips and would love any more advice that anyone has. I have him on a probiotic and I just started taking an enzyme myself. I wasn't sure which to get so I got one at Whole foods that is sort of like a multi-enzyme. It is called Wholezyme. I took my second dose today and have an awful stomach ache~ Now ds seems to have one, too. I am wondering if I should back off with it.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your thread and learning as much as I can. Anything you can educate me on in terms of this would be so appreciated. His ped seems like if in a few weeks this doesn't clear, she wants me to stop nursing. I made an appointment with a ped GI in 2 weeks just to see what our options are. I won't stop nursing though. I have come to that conclusion. My son is happy, healthy, growing, eating, sleeping well so I will not switch. I just want to help him heal.


Robin

Momma to my sweet Paige 2-2-04 and my halloween baby Alec!!
post #8 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Hi everyone,

Still trucking along. I'm feeling a bit like we are floundering now without a real direction to try.

I'm keeping a detailed food, poop, suppliments, sleep diary for me and dd. We go see a naturopath to go over it in another week. Not sure what to expect from the appointment.

We tried diflucan. It made no difference in me that I could see. I got checked yesterday for yeast in my vagina and at least that was gone. DD had diahrea for about half the treatment course. I think that was why (but it can be really hard to tell these things) Not sure what that means for her.

I have a polyp in my uterus that hopefully I'll be getting removed in another month.

My gall bladder has finally calmed down and I'm feeling much better in that dept. I have started supplimenting with iodine and it is making a huge improvement in my patch test. Not really noticing any other benefits but now I can keep a yellow mark on my belly for much longer.

DD is sick for the 8th time since the begining of Sept. I'm begining to think I need to just stop going to church in the Winter with her. I know she is getting all these colds from our over crowded church nursery. It seems like most people think that if their kid isn't completely miserable they should go to nursery and infect every other kid. :

So many of the low amie foods are ones we are allergic to. I don't feel like that is a diet we can try.
Pattyla, what is iodine supposed to be good for?
post #9 of 251
We're still here. I've been keeping a food diary this past week for the allergist. So many foods seem to cause reactions. My gut tells me they are not true allergies, but rather digestive/possibly IgG issues. I'm taking enzymes, but I'm having a hard time getting dd to do the same. I need to look at DeFelice's list of ways to get kids to take them that are safe for us (dairy and corn free is hard, as far as that goes). We just did IgE (ImmunoCAP) testing on a large group of foods and will get results this week.

I'm not sure if dd's yeast is flaring up again. I gave her Threelac yesterday and her rash looks better. I never know if it's yeast or just a rash, but sometimes (and not often, since we've been off our allergens) she gets this red pimply rash under her arms. Maybe they're hives. I don't know. But the bumps are accompanied by the more typical "eczema" (the red, raw, streaky stuff, not just dry skin).

Anyway, she takes her probiotics 2x a day. I take probiotics, enzymes (I need to buy the Houston ones, though; right now I'm just taking a broad spectrum one that does *not* contain papain or bromelain (sp?), glutamine, Vit C with quercetin, Calcium and a multi-vitamin. Fish oil and Flaxseed oil are hit and miss, so I'm going to start giving her EPO again. Does anyone know how much for a 1 yr old? And does anyone have any other supplement recommendations that I've missed?
post #10 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by APmomma View Post
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could join you. I have been posting a few times around here and haven't gotten too much response. MY story is that I have a 3 month old son named Alec and he has been having blood in his stools on and off for a while. I have been dairy, soy, egg, citrus, beef, nut, free for 3 weeks and 1 day. I was wheat free for 2 weeks but for sanity reasons had to add it back in. He seems fine with it and I don't think that is his issue. He doesn't have blood everyday anymore(well, that I can see) but it still pops up occasionally. He seems very comfortable since I took out the dairy. He sleeps 5 hour stretches at night which I consider to be great for a co-sleeping, bfing, babe. My non allergic dd didn't do that until she was 2! He also takes great naps and just never *seems* bothered.

It is so frustrating getting to the bottom of his issues. I have received some great tips and would love any more advice that anyone has. I have him on a probiotic and I just started taking an enzyme myself. I wasn't sure which to get so I got one at Whole foods that is sort of like a multi-enzyme. It is called Wholezyme. I took my second dose today and have an awful stomach ache~ Now ds seems to have one, too. I am wondering if I should back off with it.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your thread and learning as much as I can. Anything you can educate me on in terms of this would be so appreciated. His ped seems like if in a few weeks this doesn't clear, she wants me to stop nursing. I made an appointment with a ped GI in 2 weeks just to see what our options are. I won't stop nursing though. I have come to that conclusion. My son is happy, healthy, growing, eating, sleeping well so I will not switch. I just want to help him heal.


Robin

Momma to my sweet Paige 2-2-04 and my halloween baby Alec!!
Hi, Robin! Welcome

From what I understand, the enzymes can cause stomachache in the beginning. It might be worth it to decrease the dosage to start with, and work up to a full dose over a couple of weeks. What probiotics are you and Alec taking? Are they dairy-free?

With the blood in the stool, I'm guessing that his gut just needs to heal from the damage dairy did before. If it continues to be a problem, you might want to investigate other allergens, like soy. Also, if I were you, I would avoid nuts and fish/shellfish until your ds is older. My dd is allergic to corn and dairy, but because of that propensity, we're staying away from nuts, shellfish/fish and soy so as to not develop allergies to those, too.
post #11 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post

(I need to buy the Houston ones, though; right now I'm just taking a broad spectrum one that does *not* contain papain or bromelain (sp?), recommendations that I've missed?
Are these bad to take when breastfeeding? I can't find solid info anywhere!
post #12 of 251
No, we have a pineapple (and many other fruits) sensitivity, so I'm avoiding those enzymes for now (bromelaine comes form pineapple; papain from papaya). It seems that pineapple is hard for a lot of people, along with tomatoes and other citrus.
post #13 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by APmomma View Post
Are these bad to take when breastfeeding? I can't find solid info anywhere!
Enzymes are fine when BF'ing--www.enzymestuff.com will tell you about everything you ever wanted to know about enzymes.

My DD had blood in her stools starting at 3 months old from dairy. It didn't go away even after I cut out dairy until she was 8 months old, when I finally found a dairy-free probiotic for her. Within a week or two she had no more blood in her stool.
post #14 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Does anyone know how much for a 1 yr old? And does anyone have any other supplement recommendations that I've missed?
JaneS recommended 3 grams a day minimum on the EPO.
post #15 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
caedmyn - could she be reacting to sulfur?
It's possible, but she seems okay with sauerkraut which is high in sulfur. I do eat a lot of high-sulfur veggies though. I think she's more likely to be reacting to salicylates--she seems to have problems with zucchini. It causes a bit of restlessness at night like many of her allergens, and today after eating zucchini she keeps making noises like she's got reflux. I can't imagine she's actually allergic to zucchini, so it's probably the salicylates if she's reacting to it.

Nolansmum--do you know if butternut squash is lower in salicylates than zucchini? The salicylates lists I've found only have baby squash, whatever that is.
post #16 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by APmomma View Post
I was wheat free for 2 weeks but for sanity reasons had to add it back in.
In my experience this is often a sign of intolerance, the food you just cannot live without. Of course this may only be for you and not for your son.

For instance, I have dairy issues and I absolutely, positively ADORE dairy. Not milk per say, but just about everything else. It was so difficult for me to trial dairy to see if DD's little bumps cleared up. I made excuse after excuse, until finally I did it. After a few weeks, it was smooth sailing... and DD does not really react to dairy.
post #17 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
It's possible, but she seems okay with sauerkraut which is high in sulfur. I do eat a lot of high-sulfur veggies though. I think she's more likely to be reacting to salicylates--she seems to have problems with zucchini. It causes a bit of restlessness at night like many of her allergens, and today after eating zucchini she keeps making noises like she's got reflux. I can't imagine she's actually allergic to zucchini, so it's probably the salicylates if she's reacting to it.

Nolansmum--do you know if butternut squash is lower in salicylates than zucchini? The salicylates lists I've found only have baby squash, whatever that is.
All I know is that zucchini is listed as very high, 'squash' was listed as high and pumpkin is listed as moderate. Have you tried chayote yet, it is a type of squash, I usually steam it for DS. Good finger food, also steamed celery is a good finger food.
post #18 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I can't imagine she's actually allergic to zucchini, so it's probably the salicylates if she's reacting to it.
For about a year, my DD was sensitive to zucchini and butternut squash. It made her incontinent for several hours after she ate it, and carrots and Bach's Rescue Remedy also did this to her. The littlest bit of wheat in our diets made her incontinent all the time. After we got the wheat out of our diets for three weeks, she was magically continent and carrots, zucchini , and butternut squash did not bother her anymore. I rub the Bach's on the soles of her feet and she does not react.

It's been almost a year since we got the wheat out, and now we can have a little bit now and then without her losing control of her bladder.
post #19 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
All I know is that zucchini is listed as very high, 'squash' was listed as high and pumpkin is listed as moderate. Have you tried chayote yet, it is a type of squash, I usually steam it for DS. Good finger food, also steamed celery is a good finger food.
I don't think I can get chayote around here, at least not this time of year. Maybe I'll try pumpkin and see what happens with that. I think DD gets a bit constipated with butternut squash, but I haven't seen any noticeable reaction to other high-salicylate foods like avocado.
post #20 of 251
so i dunno what we did but ds no longer has dark circles around his eyes. yay! he also is no longer constipated nor does he seem to get those periodic bouts of constipation, though he is very private about his poop - he tells us to GO AWAY when he needs to go. can't wait until he actually does that in the bathroom on the toilet.

i missed about a week of EPO and it had no effect on ds' skin. he's only taking generic probiotic now every other day or so (when i remember). he may still have a mild yeast infection (only mild behavioral signs, no physical signs) from all the olbas syrup i gave him for that last cold.

dh has his surgery scheduled for tuesday a.m. he's nervous abotu the pain meds - any good holistic approaches to pain management? anything they'll give him will be likely to give leaky gut.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe-February