100 ppm is too much for me. Heck, 1 ppm would bother me. I don't drink tap water. I even filter the chlorine out of my shower water.
I'd rather risk e coli than eat food that has been sprayed with chlorine.
I would be surprised if it is allowable to spray organics with chlorine. That would pretty much render them non-organic. The whole point of organic is that they are not sprayed with chemicals.
Just because toys are sprayed with chlorine doesn't mean we should just say "oh well, who cares if it's on my food too then." The idea is to limit exposure as much as possible.
I try to keep my kids away from new carpets and shoe departments. Even if I didn't, though, it would still be a good idea to buy food that hasn't been sprayed with chlorine or other chemicals. To say that foods that have been sprayed with chlorine contain fewer toxins than new carpets and shoe departments isn't saying much. 100 ppm might be considered an acceptable amount by some people, but it is considered an unacceptable amount by others.
Originally Posted by Jwebbalchlorine
chlorine is much less a problem than the possible pathogens that could in on or in your produce
That's a matter of opinion. People who are more comfortable with chlorine than with the possibility of food-borne illness are free to buy food that has been sprayed with chlorine. Those who are more comfortable with the risks of Nature than with chlorine should eat food that has not been sprayed with chlorine.