or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › January 2007 › Griffin Otto Winter McL******* birth/ final name
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Griffin Otto Winter McL******* birth/ final name

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
So, we were "forced" to choose a name at our 2 week visit with the midwives. We were still in dabate until all the paperwork was filled out, but we came up with the 2 middle name compromise of Griffin Otto Winter.

I had what is termed a 'precipitous labor' which means really freaking fast. I woke at 5:30 a.m. with contractions I recognized as 'the real thing'. I lied in bed timing them for a half an hour to see how frequently they were coming, and figured they were every 4-5 minutes, and woke up K to fill the birth tub. We snuggled for a little while, and when we got up I went to call the midwives and realized I couldn't climb the stairs to get their #, and I was having to vocalize through contractions a little bit. It was 6:30 when I first spoke to my midwife, who is 30+ minutes away with no traffic. She said, "I'd like to take a shower, but I think I'm just going to come right over, you try and take a shower or bath to calm down a bit"

So, we filled the bath tub about half way, I got in, and K went to go start filling the birth tub and to call our support people. He couldn't get ahold of one friend, and the other wasn't sure if she should come right away. I was in the tub getting close to yelling out, which woke my 6 yr old ds. He came into the bathroom in his spiderman costume and laughed and told me I was hurting his ears. I was starting to feel panicky, the contractions were on top of one another and I felt like I couldn't get through them without yelling. I couldn't figure out whether I wanted to be warmer under the water, or cooler out of the water, and I also couldn't figure out what to do with my hands. I felt like I was grasping for anything, but I was still alone, while K was trying to get things ready in the other room. I was trying to wrap my mind around the fact that labor could go on like this for another 8 or 10 hours, and feeling like there was no way I could do it without pain relief...and also trying to get out of my head and just imagine my cervix widening and opening.

If I had know that I was in transition, or had a hand to hold, I think it would've been a tad less scary for me...I was just overwhelmed and taken by surprise at the immediate intensity of the whole thing.

The apprentice showed up at about 7:15, and she immediately came into where I was. My water had just broken, and I felt like a pressure cooker letting off steam, and I remember thinking to myself 'Thank God! I'm DEFLATING!!!!' I told her it had just broken, and that I felt like i was pushing already. I remember expalining that it didn't make sense, and that I wanted to push but it was too soon. She reassured me and said to follow my body, but also said there isn't enough water in the bathtub for a water birth, and she asked me to get out so we could find a better placer to birth. I replied, "The baby is crowning and I can't get up" so she pulled the plug on the tub, drained the water, and I pushed out his head. I had 2 contractions with his head out, but I couldn't move his shoulders out, and I couldn't widen my legs in the slippery empty tub. I finally hiked a hip somehow, and eased out his shoulders with the next contraction, and then the rest of him. 13 minutes of pushing...It was 7:31, exactly 2 hours after I woke up with contractions.

The apprentice placed him on my belly, and we sat there in shock, the 2 of us. K and ds had seen his head out, but missed the full birth, and our friend and the midwives arrived just after he was born. We waited for the baby to be more responsive before we checked the gender, and when we found out it was boy, ds said, "I WON!!!" Ds cut the cord and spent a lot of time examining the placenta.

So it wasn't the water birth we had hoped for, and it wasn't the connective coaching support I imagined receiving during labor, but looking back, I wouldn't change it much. I was pretty amazed at the ability I possessed to do it, to have this baby... I still feel proud and amazed. That 2 hour transition from a fairly miserable pregnant state to holding him and nursing him made me so happy. We were obviously both super ready to get to that point.

Oh, and he was 9 pounds, 9 ounces and 20.5 inches long.

And now we're a content and blissed out family of 4. And 'Little' has a name.
post #2 of 7
Wow what a birth! I can only imagine how shocked you must have been to realize you were pushing.

Love the name! Beautiful Congrats, mama!
post #3 of 7
Incredible. Well done! Congratulations on everything. all the best to your family.
post #4 of 7
wow, great story! Congrats on your boy.
post #5 of 7
Congratulations! Mine also went fast- just over 3 hrs of labor, but only 2 were really hard. I also remember thinking I couldn't possibly do it for another 8 hours! I also couldn't accept I was having signs of being in transition, even though I clearly was. I'll also take the fast labor over the water birth- though the shower was great!

Glad all is well for you!
post #6 of 7
Rachael! Awesome story, despite it's speed!!! Love the name and MAJOR MWAH to you!!!!
post #7 of 7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: January 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › January 2007 › Griffin Otto Winter McL******* birth/ final name