or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Child safety question--is this extreme?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Child safety question--is this extreme?

post #1 of 103
Thread Starter 
I teach private music lessons. One of my students is 15 years old, and I thought it was interesting that he always calls to get a ride home from a family member, even though he lives less than two blocks away from my house. I just figured it was a matter of a teen not wanting to have to put the effort into walking, and thought it was nice of his family to accomodate him. (My mom made me walk a lot further than that to piano lessons when I was a kid...it wasn't quite "up hill both ways in the snow" but I sure felt that way at times.) Anyway, I casually mentioned something about it to the student's mom, and she told me that it is her own policy for her kids. They are not to walk anywhere alone. I was quite taken aback. This is a teenage boy we're talking about, not a little child. He could literally walk to his house in less time than it takes for him to call for a ride and have them show up to get him. We live in a quiet neighborhood in a fairly small town.

His mother's reasoning is that the world just isn't like it used to be years ago, and she's just not willing to take the chance of something happening. I could see where she was coming from, and I thought to myself that yes, the fear of kidnapping is one that she can pretty well take off her mind by controlling the situation in this way. (Not entirely of course, because her kids still have to be at school every day...)

But... I have to wonder if there aren't other ramifications of this that might not be so positive. I know there is always a chance that something bad could happen to one of our kids, and I know it is good to take necessary and reasonable precautions to keep them safe. But this seems really extreme to me. I feel like part of my job as a mother is to gradually help my children prepare for eventually living on their own, and part of doing that is to give them increasing levels of responsibility and independence as they get older. I'm definitely not talking about teaching babies to self-soothe or anything like that. But I wonder if it would be too sheltering to insist that a teenager could not even walk home a couple of blocks and if that could somehow have some negative effects of a kid who is preparing for adulthood in just a few years. Would my own kids be ready to go to college and be on their own if they'd never even been allowed to walk a few blocks in broad daylight?

I hope this doesn't come across as being totally critical of the mom. She is a great mom--in fact, there are many things I admire about her parenting and would hope to emulate in my own home. I'm more just trying to understand her POV. My ds is only 4, and I struggle with knowing how much independence to give him. I used to let him walk two doors down to his friend's by himself, and recently decided that wasn't such a good idea, so I now stand outside and watch to make sure he gets there safely. I thought I was one of the more protective parents in the neighborhood until I talked to my student's mom. They're her kids, and it's her business, but I was intrigued with her viewpoint.
post #2 of 103
Maybe there was an incident in the mother's life that caused her to be so cautious?

But, if not, I do think it is a bit extreme myself. I almost think small towns can be safer because everyone knows everyone else. In my small town growing up you couldn't do anything without someone seeing your dad up at the gas station and telling on you!

Kinda off topic, but why do they drive the 2 blocks instead of walk to get him? It seems like a waste of gas.
post #3 of 103
I think it's VERY extreme. And I think it's unhealthy. We're not talking about a 7 year old here, we're talking about a kid who is going to be out in the world working or going to school in three or four years. My parents seriously are control freaks to the extent of pathology and they kept me on a very short leash out of "protectiveness." People are shocked when they hear how little I was allowed to do, even at 17 years old! BUT...even THEY let me go to my violin lessons alone. And it was hardly next door...I had to walk a quarter mile to a bus stop, ride two buses, and walk another quarter mile to the teacher's door!
post #4 of 103
Definitely extreme, and possibly damaging to the young man. Heck, PROBABLY damaging to the young man
post #5 of 103
Regardless of whether I think it's extreme, who are we to judge a mama's parenting? We have no idea about her background, her life experiences or her personal use of 'the gift'. The world can be a scary place to someone who consumes a lot of sensational news, and I would never pass judgement on another family trying their best to ensure their kids' safety.

FWIW, I grew up in a violent country where we could not play in our own backyards without an adult watching, forget walking 2 blocks. Familes live in gated communites, hire guards, etc. etc. My parents brought this mentality to our new (safer) country and I do not begrudge them.
post #6 of 103
Very extreme, and not good for the teenager (almost an adult) at all.
post #7 of 103
I have a 15 yo ds and yes that does seem extreme. A 15 yo is 3 years away from being a legal adult, and while the world is a different place than it was years ago, the kid still needs to get comfortable in it. Just my 2 cents.

Shay
post #8 of 103
Yeah, my mom was (is) extremely controlling and super over-protective, but my sister and I walked to school together when we were 9 and 10! And we lived in a quiet neighbourhood, but in a large city.

By 15, I could take the bus with my friends, etc. Although my mom's rules were so strict that I really wasn't able to go out much.

Now, if it was DARK when this kid's lessons are over, I could totally understand them picking him up, but if not, yeah, I could imagine that it might make him OVER cautious and paranoid.

But, maybe this mom has a good reason....I mean, after all, I know it's going to take me a LOT of effort to allow my son to go anywhere by himself...if I could, I'd take him everywhere until he's 10! lol But, his own well-being has to prevail, not my own needs to keep him safe...
post #9 of 103
It does seem extreme to me. I read Protecting the Gift this week and from his perspective, she'd be better off equipping him to deal with situations that may come up (but probably won't) than not giving him those skills.
post #10 of 103
In my home town THREE teenagers, not one, THREE were assaulted by a man who jumped out of the bushes as they walked home, during the day, on a fairly busy road. One of the teenagers ended up with a stab wound in her leg. It was because they were all together that something worse didn't end up happening. And this was a "nice quiet suburb", too.

So yeah, I can totally see where she is coming from. And as a person who was chased down by a weirdo myself (he hopped out of his car and came after me, and I ran through a neighbors yard and hopped the fence, with a BROKEN foot) I will probably be the same way with my child.

People say that "statistically" a kidnapping or some other weirdo coming after you isn't likely to happen, but I've learned from experience that when you say "it's not likely to happen to me" that it will bite you in the ass. HARD. So nope, my kids probably won't walk much. Which is a shame, because I have some pretty awesome memories of us walking to and from school. I don't know, I guess it depends on where we end up living. Here? I doubt it.
post #11 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
In my home town THREE teenagers, not one, THREE were assaulted by a man who jumped out of the bushes as they walked home, during the day, on a fairly busy road. One of the teenagers ended up with a stab wound in her leg. It was because they were all together that something worse didn't end up happening. And this was a "nice quiet suburb", too.

So yeah, I can totally see where she is coming from. And as a person who was chased down by a weirdo myself (he hopped out of his car and came after me, and I ran through a neighbors yard and hopped the fence, with a BROKEN foot) I will probably be the same way with my child.

People say that "statistically" a kidnapping or some other weirdo coming after you isn't likely to happen, but I've learned from experience that when you say "it's not likely to happen to me" that it will bite you in the ass. HARD. So nope, my kids probably won't walk much. Which is a shame, because I have some pretty awesome memories of us walking to and from school. I don't know, I guess it depends on where we end up living. Here? I doubt it.

I hear you and it most certainly sucks that the world is a far more dangerous place but would it not be more shocking for a kid to go from being totally sheltered to at 18, now you are an adult, off to college you go? To me there has to be a transition, its kind of like when you have sons at a certain point you let them go to the public bathroom alone.

Like I said earlier I have a 15 yo son and the world is scary but he is making the transition from child to young adult. In less than a year (350 days but whose counting) he will be able to legally drive a car. Yikes that scares me, he is in HS and he has told me some things about HS that scares me but I know I cannot let my fears guide things.

Shay
post #12 of 103
Why can't she walk to pick him up? Or stand on the porch and watch for him. It sounds like an extreme waste of fossil fuels as well. It reminds me of that old Steve Martin and Sarah Jessica Parker movie ...LA Story...where he gets in his car and drives 6 feet.
post #13 of 103
At some point, we have to give our kids the skills to deal with things on their own. Will this kid be 30 and still have his mom coming to pick him up? I'm not saying she should treat him like an adult RIGHT NOW, but you have to start allowing freedom and responsibility at some point, and that means allowing risk. In a year or two he could be driving a car - much riskier IMHO than walking 2 blocks in broad daylight. Will she let him do that?

Life is risk. I would rather give my kids tools and strategies than try to shelter them their entire lives, which you just cannot do.
post #14 of 103
Is the kid in question developmentally delayed? Does he have a history of running away or behavior that would lead her to not trust him on the walk home?
post #15 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz View Post
Maybe there was an incident in the mother's life that caused her to be so cautious?

But, if not, I do think it is a bit extreme myself. I almost think small towns can be safer because everyone knows everyone else. In my small town growing up you couldn't do anything without someone seeing your dad up at the gas station and telling on you!

Kinda off topic, but why do they drive the 2 blocks instead of walk to get him? It seems like a waste of gas.
Exactly what I was thinking.
post #16 of 103
There was a study in the news just this week here in the UK about the same thing. It turns out more children are killed by cars than killed by weirdos. And of the children who were murdered the majority were killed by family members, or people who the family had allowed access to their children. Only a tiny percent were killed by strangers. So really the risk of something happening to your child is absolutly tiny. But still... everytime I hear on the news about a missing child... it makes me very uncomfortable about letting my children go out anywhere without me.

I think by 15 though I wouldn't be picking them up from somewhere so close by. But then again I'm 25 and my dad will still come and pick me up at 3am to make sure I get home safely!
post #17 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post
Regardless of whether I think it's extreme, who are we to judge a mama's parenting? We have no idea about her background, her life experiences or her personal use of 'the gift'. The world can be a scary place to someone who consumes a lot of sensational news, and I would never pass judgement on another family trying their best to ensure their kids' safety.

I completely agree with this.
post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
In my home town THREE teenagers, not one, THREE were assaulted by a man who jumped out of the bushes as they walked home, during the day, on a fairly busy road. One of the teenagers ended up with a stab wound in her leg. It was because they were all together that something worse didn't end up happening. And this was a "nice quiet suburb", too.

So yeah, I can totally see where she is coming from. And as a person who was chased down by a weirdo myself (he hopped out of his car and came after me, and I ran through a neighbors yard and hopped the fence, with a BROKEN foot) I will probably be the same way with my child.

People say that "statistically" a kidnapping or some other weirdo coming after you isn't likely to happen, but I've learned from experience that when you say "it's not likely to happen to me" that it will bite you in the ass. HARD. So nope, my kids probably won't walk much. Which is a shame, because I have some pretty awesome memories of us walking to and from school. I don't know, I guess it depends on where we end up living. Here? I doubt it.
I agree.

OP, no I do not think his Mom coming to pick him up at Age 15 is extreme...ESPECIALLY in this day and age.
post #19 of 103
Well, it would seem extreme for me and my family, but I can see situations where not knowing the whole story could be an issue. For example, I know one family where the father leaves work early each day to retreive his 17 YO from school and supervise her for the remainder of the afternoon. Why? Because she has a history with drugs and this way she can't go back to that. Since many kidnappings are actually parents in custody battles, perhaps she has an over-the-top ex that she is worried about. Or maybe someone in the family does something to make the family at risk for harm. We rarely see the whole picture, so I would assume there is more there than meets the eye.
post #20 of 103
Thread Starter 
I just want to clarify that I did not start this thread just to be judgmental. I posted about this situation because it is something that makes me examine my own views of child safety, and because I wanted opinions on the larger questions of balancing concern for safety with the need to help children develop into confident, responsible adults, which to me means allowing room for some degree of risk. I think that is a valid question for discussion. Sorry if I did not make my intentions clear enough.

phathui5 wrote:
Quote:
Is the kid in question developmentally delayed? Does he have a history of running away or behavior that would lead her to not trust him on the walk home?
No to all of the above. He is academically and musically gifted, and involved in many activites and projects at the local high school. He is what many would call a really, really "good" kid, for lack of a better word...mature for his age, responsible, etc. His mother says this is her rule for all her kids (there are five of them).

Several posters mentioned the possibility that the mom had an experience that led her to this kind of caution, and I think that is a possibility, even though she did not mention anything.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Child safety question--is this extreme?