or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › Baby formula on prescription only?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baby formula on prescription only?

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
I personally think this would be a great thing.

It would show a clear path to anyone who was having problems, and if they approached their GP about it, hopefully they would be given an immense amount of support to try to overcome their bf problems, and be given a formula prescription only if they were truly in need of it.

It would make the cost of formula a lot more affordable for moms.

It would help to persuade governments that genuine accessible lactation advice/support/ would be very worthwhile

It would send a clear picture that Breast is best, without having to spend millions on advertising.

It may pick up many moms who would otherwise slip through the cracks with a myriad of post partum problems.

What do you think?

I'm very interested to hear everyones take on this!
post #2 of 57
When I first started becoming a bit of lactivist, I too thought this was the answer. Then I read that doing this would cause people who really didn't want to breastfeed but had no real reason not, to start making their own formula. We would be back to the days of cows milk and corn syrup.

While formula has its risk, cows milk and corn syrup have more risks.

And you would always have doctors that wouldn't prescribe it when was really needed, or you would have doctors that would prescribe it no matter what. Formula is the first thing most doctors turn to when there is any problem. Why would that change?

Maybe it is something we could work towards but alot of things would have to change before this could be a reality.
post #3 of 57
I agree with OP

this has been my thing for YEARS

that way if you NEED it -- then you get it, and insurence would hlep pay

if you don't need it but need SUPPORT, help, answers or whatever you get LC........

great PP support that most don't get today.

yes -- some fools will do stupid things, fools do stupid things every day -- we can not allow that to be our guide.

we just hope that the foolish people not feeding the baby bm or Rx AM get caught by the Ped and refered -- either to help with BF or for a Rx......

we can not make all the desisons in this country based on "what is the bumbest person going to do" as Murphys Lawsd says you can't makes someing fool proof as fools are so smart.

YES

AM -- should be Rx ONLY for a true medially documented need (ie mom has cancer, mom has many reoccuring cases of thrush, mom is adoptive, mom needs strong maintain medication......).

Let the flames start -- (I get really tired of beig flamed for supporting BF on MDC inteh breastfeeding area -- but it ALWAYS happenes...)

A
post #4 of 57
I think that *big picture* it's a good idea. However we are in need of much much more education before we're anywhere near a place that that would help or be a good idea.

-Angela
post #5 of 57
I fully agree with the OP and with aimee, but also as angela said, unfortunatly we are a ways from there. I have always said formula should be by rx only, and that more support is needed. If the info got to all the mom's i'm pretty sure more would choose to bf.
post #6 of 57
I also think this would be a good idea, at the moment people on benefits can get free formula which i think makes them less likely to bf cos a lot of people just say well its free so might as well use it : imo formula should be prescription only for those who truely need it, there should also be a hell of a lot more support for breastfeeding mums
post #7 of 57
I think it is a bad idea. First of all, doctors will give out formula rx like candy. Second, it will make it seem like formula is better because it is a prescription like a medicine. Lastly, I don't want to take away choice.

I want to educate and support women in choosing breastfeeding. I don't think forcing people to breastfeed is going to do anyone any good.
post #8 of 57
i think that as long as fourmuals are giving it away free untill moms are hooked -- and we all know late lacation is tough or nearly impossible if you wait too long --

as long as the hosptial give it to you even when you tell them " I will BF only" "I will BF within 39 minutes of ANY birth" and "no nipples, we will use and ng tube if medically necessary" (geee you THINK they'd get that I am BF and not AM feed???)

As long as it is seen as NORAML and we are seen as the exception --

i do not see how to make a full flip flop (as it should be) with out drastic actiaon

now -- if you want to aruge that FDA and congress will never do it -- that is true -- but to think "now is not the time" -- wellllll then when is the time........we are not going to get the nation off its addiction to AM without something BIG

A
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I think it is a bad idea. First of all, doctors will give out formula rx like candy. Second, it will make it seem like formula is better because it is a prescription like a medicine. Lastly, I don't want to take away choice.

I want to educate and support women in choosing breastfeeding. I don't think forcing people to breastfeed is going to do anyone any good.
I totally agree with you. Also, I do not think it is wise to have something like infant feeding "controlled" by the government or anybody else. That seems very inappropriate and unsettling to me.

I think it would be amazing if most mothers breastfed, but do not think force is the way to go. Educating people and making sure they realize the harmful effects of formula feeding to make them *want* to breastfeed would be far more beneficial.
post #10 of 57
I would prefer to see human milk understood as normal to the point that it is the first consideration in any circumstance. Meaning, donor milk would be readily available and affordable as a first second choice for moms who can not nor will not breastfeed.
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunchaCrunch View Post
I totally agree with you. Also, I do not think it is wise to have something like infant feeding "controlled" by the government or anybody else. That seems very inappropriate and unsettling to me.

I think it would be amazing if most mothers breastfed, but do not think force is the way to go. Educating people and making sure they realize the harmful effects of formula feeding to make them *want* to breastfeed would be far more beneficial.
you do have a pont there
although i do think they should giveing formula for free to those on low incomes, breastmilk is free if they can't afford formula they shouldn't use it imo free formula undermines breastfeeding
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
free formula undermines breastfeeding
Do I ever agree with that! I have never understood why programs such as WIC do not offer better breastfeeding education. Not only is breastmilk free, but typically breastfed babies are not ill as often as fff babies, so money can be saved in additional ways than just formula costs. I could be mistaken, but doesn't WIC only provide a minimum amount of formula? Formula is not cheap and it really is a huge disservice to not provide mothers with breastfeeding education as it could really make a large difference in their finances, in addition to everything else of course. WIC's last of proper infant feeding education truly causes more harm than good.
post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunchaCrunch View Post
Do I ever agree with that! I have never understood why programs such as WIC do not offer better breastfeeding education. Not only is breastmilk free, but typically breastfed babies are not ill as often as fff babies, so money can be saved in additional ways than just formula costs. I could be mistaken, but doesn't WIC only provide a minimum amount of formula? Formula is not cheap and it really is a huge disservice to not provide mothers with breastfeeding education as it could really make a large difference in their finances, in addition to everything else of course. WIC's last of proper infant feeding education truly causes more harm than good.
WIC is funded in large part by the dairy industry.

Mystery solved.

-Angela
post #14 of 57
How would that make formula cheaper? My husband works retail and I know that their stores take a hit every time someone buys formula from them - they have to price it below cost to keep it competitive. All I could see happening would be that formula prices would go through the roof, which would hurt people who have to use it.

All of your other points I totally see and understand (and agree!!), but that one I'm a little confused on

The other problem I could see would be that people like me who have babies who genuinely need formula - if you have to get a prescription, you might not be able to switch brands as easily which could also cause problems. Just a thought.
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
WIC is funded in large part by the dairy industry.

Mystery solved.

-Angela
Wow! I never realized this....explains a lot that is for sure. :
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
Let the flames start -- (I get really tired of beig flamed for supporting BF on MDC inteh breastfeeding area -- but it ALWAYS happenes...)

A
You honestly don't see a difference between supporting BF and making formula prescription-only? There's a vast in-between area there, one that involves education and more support for BFing.

This isn't a flame, but if you choose to view it as one, be assured it's not because you're "supporting breastfeeding." It's me disagreeing because you're supporting prescription-only formula.
post #17 of 57
Yeah I don't see how making formula prescription only is in any way supporting breastfeeding.
post #18 of 57
WIC offices are differnt, some ARE much more supportive of BF .. it all depends.

BUT any gov "help" is always going to be determined by funding, and not upsetting big business -- AM had a BB and BM does not.

Quote:
if you have to get a prescription, you might not be able to switch brands as easily which could also cause problems.
just call the doctor -- be it 3 am or what -- they have services. no differnt than having a reaction to a blood pressure medication after hours.
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Yeah I don't see how making formula prescription only is in any way supporting breastfeeding.

It's not. It is simply marginalizing and demonizing those women, mostly lower-income women of color, who formula feed. It's pretty patriarchal if you ask me.

Education and encouragement is the way to go...not restriction and control. Surely we who have the advantage of education would want the same for those less fortunate.
post #20 of 57
the idea to get to a point where F is not sent through the mail to every pg mom.

to a point where hospitals are not handing out F to every mom -- without need "just in case"

to get F to be the "odd thing out" to be the not-the-norm

to present it as what it IS -- a 2nd option to be used ONLY if necessary -- not the best option or even an equal option....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Lactivism
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › Baby formula on prescription only?