or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut -- March thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 6

post #101 of 479
Thread Starter 

OT, but you'll be irritated too

Had to share...

http://biochemistry.louisville.edu/education/altmed.htm

Am I the only one who thinks that this website is one-sided?

I am truly tempted to write to the faculty member but then I'm just beyond the point of being irritated that any attempt to write would just be futile. But then I think about the pathetic education those students are getting - that their role model isn't walking the walk, so to speak. Being critical about something means that one needs to consider both sides of the situation, no?

We just received delivery at home of a book called "The Rave Diet" or some such thing. Mostly because it comes with a DVD called "Eating!" that is supposed to be a good watch. Well, the author in the book is preachy, takes a truly "if you don't eat my way, you're an idiot" attitude (dh notices these things more than I) and has the same type of bias (only presenting facts to suit HIS point of view)...
post #102 of 479
Thread Starter 
but i did find a really good website the other day:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/index.cfm

not at all glamorous but filled with useful information.

this doc, according to her writings, would never advocate a highly restrictive diet for long periods of time because one then starts reacting to everything.
post #103 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
What sorts of questions does she ask, and have you seen any results?

I can maybe see that if she was testing me, she could say "garlic" and my body would react if I had a problem with garlic. But DD doesn't have a clue what garlic is, and I don't believe her body is magically going to react to the word garlic. And how are her cells going to know if a particular homeopathic remedy is right for her? And supposedly at the next session she's supposed to ask questions to determine DD's tolerances for certain foods...like DD can tell if I can only eat 1/4 c. of yogurt a day. And how the heck are a bunch of coils in vials taped to meridians on my and DD's bodies going to eliminate DD's allergies? I still feel like it could work, but logically, no, it isn't going to happen. But I hate to feel like I'm throwing all that money away if one more session would actually do something...

I'm going to call the two NAET practitioners in town today. I do actually believe in the theory of muscle testing (when it involves actually holding the substances, not by questioning), and I think that tapping could eliminate allergies, so that might be better for us if it's not too expensive.
Caedmyn,
Our NAET practitioner didn't ask questions, but I read in the NAET book that some practitioners will do that. As I mentioned, it didn't work for us, but I hope it does for you. BTW, we paid $60 per visit, but our friends in another state pay $40 per visit. Hopefully, it won't be too costly, especially if there's a chance it will help you.
post #104 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
ah, but they do:
http://www.nelsonshomoeopathy.co.uk/...91766095.shtml
(available in the US at http://www.smallflower.com/product/1784)

and although you won't find it on Boiron's website, Boiron does have a Candida product (and i could swear that i saw this locally in our HFS).
http://www.smallflower.com/product/15103

has anyone tried the RenewLife Candigone? (http://www.smallflower.com/product/22219)
i should be paying you a retainer, bluets.

can you imagine 50M potency? 1/1,000 to the 50th power? lessee... that would be avogadro's number to the 6th power, so there's 6:1 odds that there's not a single particle left.

we used renewlife for lucy's candida cleanse, but used paragone for kids (she was ~22lbs at the time, i think i used 1/3 or 1/2 capsule/dose). i'm not sure why the accupuncturist recommended that one, maybe there isn't/wasn't candigone for kids? she didn't have me take the herbs because of nursing, said they'd have made the milk bitter.
post #105 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Did she muscle tests while you (or your DD) was holding the substance (or a homeopathic dilution of the substance) she was testing?
No, the kin. we saw has been doing this for so long and is so good at it, that she only needs for us to tell her what we want her to check, and if it's something she does all the time like eggs, wheat or dairy, etc. she can just feel the "energy" and touch dd and tell. It's crazy! But I trust her completely...she's amazing. She even can pick up a supplement from a pile (she works with my ND a lot), touch me, and tell me that it will be 90% beneficial and I should take "this many pills, this many times a day" and she has NO idea what she even picked up. My ND will say, "yup! That's the one I was going to give her."

For dd, she would ask, "If mom consumes this food, dd will be (insert percentage here) in distress/benefited.

She really has been dead on every time and it freaks us all out About a year ago when she first met with me (I was pregnant then) said, "I am getting an energy around your large intestine. It is in much distress."

A year later I find out I have a very leaky gut. Crazy, huh?
post #106 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
No, the kin. we saw has been doing this for so long and is so good at it, that she only needs for us to tell her what we want her to check, and if it's something she does all the time like eggs, wheat or dairy, etc. she can just feel the "energy" and touch dd and tell. It's crazy! But I trust her completely...she's amazing. She even can pick up a supplement from a pile (she works with my ND a lot), touch me, and tell me that it will be 90% beneficial and I should take "this many pills, this many times a day" and she has NO idea what she even picked up. My ND will say, "yup! That's the one I was going to give her."

For dd, she would ask, "If mom consumes this food, dd will be (insert percentage here) in distress/benefited.

She really has been dead on every time and it freaks us all out About a year ago when she first met with me (I was pregnant then) said, "I am getting an energy around your large intestine. It is in much distress."

A year later I find out I have a very leaky gut. Crazy, huh?
Have you actually been helped by any of the stuff she's recommended? She sounds like she does the same type of kinesiology as the person DD saw yesterday.
post #107 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Caedmyn,
Our NAET practitioner didn't ask questions, but I read in the NAET book that some practitioners will do that. As I mentioned, it didn't work for us, but I hope it does for you. BTW, we paid $60 per visit, but our friends in another state pay $40 per visit. Hopefully, it won't be too costly, especially if there's a chance it will help you.
I spoke to one of the two NAET practitioners in town today and it's $60 a visit, and he seemed to think it would take 6-10 visits total. I have a call in to the other one and I'm hoping she's cheaper.
post #108 of 479

acid reflux infant

Hi- I am getting an education here! My sister has a 2 mo old that has had every problem in the book - problems sleeping, diaper rash, yeast, gastro-intestinal cramps, diarrhea, supposed acid reflux, spitting up, continuous crying, all starting with some post-birth breathing difficulty leading to a stay in the NICU - which turned out to be "nothing"!

So what do you knowledgeable moms think about acid reflux in infants? This baby's pediatricians seem to say it's Zantac, Prevacid, Maalox (yes! for an infant!!!) tummy drops until 3-6 months?!?! No one is mentioning probiotics...I insisted to my sister it could be her intestinal flora, since mom had abx for mastitis, then a few days of abx for a phantom UTI, which she had to abandon for allergic reaction!!

this poor family!

Any advice anyone?? Mom is trying an elimination diet - but there is so much going into baby and so many things being tried it is hard to know WHAT is helping or hurting!!!
post #109 of 479
We had Noah's 6 (actually 7)month check up today. He was 10 weeks early so actually 4 1/2 months adjusted and today weighed 10lbs, 6oz. He's not even close to being on the charts but as long has he charts with the curve there's no concern. At this point he's not quite keeping up with the curve and his ped wants me to add some calories to make sure he's growing appropriately (brain growth concerns). I'm okay with that given Noah's less than ideal or normal situation. However his ped suggested rice cereal or oatmeal and given his reaction to wheat and oats in my diet I'm not very comfortable with giving a 4 1/2 mo grains. I'd rather wait on any solids for a very long time given his apparent gut issues with food sensitivity but realistically I may need to consider boosting his calorie intake in addition to breastmilk. I'd thought about fish/cod liver oil and/or EVOO. Any thoughts, suggestions or warnings? I may call the ped back and ask to come in for a weight check in a few weeks before starting real food. This was our first visit with this ped (he was my childhood ped) and I really want to stick with him. He's totally okay with my not vaxing which is a huge relief.
post #110 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
We had Noah's 6 (actually 7)month check up today. He was 10 weeks early so actually 4 1/2 months adjusted and today weighed 10lbs, 6oz. He's not even close to being on the charts but as long has he charts with the curve there's no concern. At this point he's not quite keeping up with the curve and his ped wants me to add some calories to make sure he's growing appropriately (brain growth concerns). I'm okay with that given Noah's less than ideal or normal situation. However his ped suggested rice cereal or oatmeal and given his reaction to wheat and oats in my diet I'm not very comfortable with giving a 4 1/2 mo grains. I'd rather wait on any solids for a very long time given his apparent gut issues with food sensitivity but realistically I may need to consider boosting his calorie intake in addition to breastmilk. I'd thought about fish/cod liver oil and/or EVOO. Any thoughts, suggestions or warnings? I may call the ped back and ask to come in for a weight check in a few weeks before starting real food. This was our first visit with this ped (he was my childhood ped) and I really want to stick with him. He's totally okay with my not vaxing which is a huge relief.
CLO or EVOO seem like decent choices to me if you feel you need to add something. You could also consider CO or coconut milk, which have some similarities to BM, or, if he seems okay with dairy thus far, ghee, butter, or cream. The EVOO's probably the least allergenic of the fats, but also the least desirable in terms of essential fatty acids. Not necessarily bad, but not beneficial, either.
post #111 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
We had Noah's 6 (actually 7)month check up today. He was 10 weeks early so actually 4 1/2 months adjusted and today weighed 10lbs, 6oz. He's not even close to being on the charts but as long has he charts with the curve there's no concern. At this point he's not quite keeping up with the curve and his ped wants me to add some calories to make sure he's growing appropriately (brain growth concerns). I'm okay with that given Noah's less than ideal or normal situation. However his ped suggested rice cereal or oatmeal and given his reaction to wheat and oats in my diet I'm not very comfortable with giving a 4 1/2 mo grains. I'd rather wait on any solids for a very long time given his apparent gut issues with food sensitivity but realistically I may need to consider boosting his calorie intake in addition to breastmilk. I'd thought about fish/cod liver oil and/or EVOO. Any thoughts, suggestions or warnings? I may call the ped back and ask to come in for a weight check in a few weeks before starting real food. This was our first visit with this ped (he was my childhood ped) and I really want to stick with him. He's totally okay with my not vaxing which is a huge relief.
Flaxseed oil is a good oil to add to food (not to cook with, though).
post #112 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
too bad they don't make homeopathically prepared candida albicans... considering how many people have yeast probs (look at all the money monistat must make) i'm really surprised they don't.
But they do! There are several, in fact. There is Can Albex, which is by a company called Genestra brands -- I'm taking it. And there is Pleo Alb, which is by a company called Sanum-Kahlbeck in Germany. My naturopath gave them to me.
post #113 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Have you actually been helped by any of the stuff she's recommended? She sounds like she does the same type of kinesiology as the person DD saw yesterday.
She does both. She uses the vials with the substances in them, having the person being tested hold them and muscle testing. She also uses the same method to pick a remedy -- most are combination remedies, but some are single -- or other supplement. Then once she's picked one, she will say like "take this 1,2,3, times for 1,2,3 weeks or whatever, muscle testing for each number to determine the right one.

I feel like I've had some progress -- my vulvar itching is better, and my menstrual cycles are now pretty regular. Also, ds's nosebleeds are pretty much gone. He still gets food reactions, which I forgot to mention to her. But in general he seems a lot healthier. I feel better emotionally, too, which is a good thing. And I've had some other good things happen, like now dh is ready to have another baby (woo hoo!), which I think are related to my improvement.

One weird thing was that she recommended I "train" ds to sleep through the night by giving him rewards, like a point system with toys for not waking up. And she said to night wean him too. So she's still a bit mainstream in that regard. She has three kids and says they are all good sleepers because of her training them. Ugh!
post #114 of 479
Rachel, my doctor pressured me to start rice cereal with ds at 4 months saying he needed more calories -- come to find out it's much less calorie dense than bm. Anyway, I tried it and came to regret it, as it brought back his thrush and changed the smell of his poop (now I know because he was no longer EBF and didn't have a virgin gut anymore and had nasty buggie in him). I would say oil would be higher in calories than bm, and of course raw oil is more digestible. If you really think it would help. But remember too that those charts are based on white midwestern kids who were formula fed and started on solids at 6 weeks. Also, bf babies tend to self-regulate, and yours would probably just nurse less to make up for the increased calories from the oil. Unless you are having a malabsorbtion issue or something.
post #115 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
But they do! There are several, in fact. There is Can Albex, which is by a company called Genestra brands -- I'm taking it. And there is Pleo Alb, which is by a company called Sanum-Kahlbeck in Germany. My naturopath gave them to me.
Do they seem to be helping you?
post #116 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Rachel, my doctor pressured me to start rice cereal with ds at 4 months saying he needed more calories -- come to find out it's much less calorie dense than bm. Anyway, I tried it and came to regret it, as it brought back his thrush and changed the smell of his poop (now I know because he was no longer EBF and didn't have a virgin gut anymore and had nasty buggie in him). I would say oil would be higher in calories than bm, and of course raw oil is more digestible. If you really think it would help. But remember too that those charts are based on white midwestern kids who were formula fed and started on solids at 6 weeks. Also, bf babies tend to self-regulate, and yours would probably just nurse less to make up for the increased calories from the oil. Unless you are having a malabsorbtion issue or something.
Yeah, ds1 got a few things too early here and there (rice cereal to thicken his pumped bm- doesn't work, applesauce for meds- didn't work, juice for his constipation) and I regret it. I also thought cereal, besides being undigestable w/o breastmilk, was less calorie-dense than bm. Noah was born early because of interuterine growth retardation so he was only 2 lbs at birth and also seems to have some trouble consistently gaining weight.

Thank you all for reassuring me that oils will be okay for him if I go that route. I'm really going to consider this before going ahead with it. If I do this I'll probably just give him some droppers full of oil. He reacts to coconut so that's out, although I seem to be able to get away with some oil in my diet. I'm just concerned that he seems to be reacting to more and more foods in my diet so there's no way that dumping food directly into his gut could have a positive outcome. I guess I just have to weigh the risks of poor growth/brain development with a damaged gut :
post #117 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
Had to share...

http://biochemistry.louisville.edu/education/altmed.htm

Am I the only one who thinks that this website is one-sided?
If you really want to be annoyed check out quackwatch.com. This MD pretty much bashes everything that isn't straight forward allopathy. He ridiculed NAET b/c the creator said she was allergic to sugar and you "can't" be allergic to sugar, your body needs it : If you can't be allergic then why eczema (symptoms) go away when it was avoided like it did in my sister's friend? He doesn't even consider that a person could react to the chemical alteration of processed sugar or the actual chemicals used in processing or something else entirely. He's sooo simplistic and arrogant and it ticks me off that lots of people searching for information about alternative medicine options will find his misleading information.
post #118 of 479
I just saw this link on another list I'm on. I know it's mainstream medicine but wanted to pass it on anyway. I would still try to take care of gut problems at their source to cure it in the long-run.

In brief, the drug blocks the increase in the spaces between cells in the
small intestine ~ i.e., the drug tightens up a "leaky" gut. If I
understand the webpage correctly, this drug decreases inflammation (from
Food Allergies, Crohn's Disease, Celiac Disease, etc.) by blocking the
mast cells in the small intestine from recruiting white blood cells into
the gut. This drug looks really promising as a new treatment for EGE and
other small bowel inflammatory diseases.



http://www.freshpatents.com/Agonist-...pe=description
post #119 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
I just saw this link on another list I'm on. I know it's mainstream medicine but wanted to pass it on anyway. I would still try to take care of gut problems at their source to cure it in the long-run.

In brief, the drug blocks the increase in the spaces between cells in the
small intestine ~ i.e., the drug tightens up a "leaky" gut. If I
understand the webpage correctly, this drug decreases inflammation (from
Food Allergies, Crohn's Disease, Celiac Disease, etc.) by blocking the
mast cells in the small intestine from recruiting white blood cells into
the gut. This drug looks really promising as a new treatment for EGE and
other small bowel inflammatory diseases.



http://www.freshpatents.com/Agonist-...pe=description
That's fascinating. Interesting, too, that many doctors (well, allergists) dismiss that the gut has any importance in matters of food allergies, but here iis a potential drug to address that. Probably in ten years, all the allergists will be on board (for now, all mine can say is that it's "unlucky genetics," which I definitely don't buy).
post #120 of 479
In my dd's case it is due to faulty genetics-- but we are trying to heal her by taking away the foods she is reacting too, healing her, and then doing very slow and careful food trials. I guess dd's GI is on board with not just giving pills but actually finding out what the cause is.

As a lifetime allergy sufferer it's been very frustrating to go into a doctor's office in the past, tell them I'm having bad allergy symptoms,and then have them give me a pill instead of trying to figure out exactly what allergy it might be or how best to change my lifestyle to make things more comfortable. I was the one who did the research on removing carpets, covering the mattresses, etc. I did sublingual immonotherapy with an NP and maybe it's just coincidence, maybe not, but I'm off all asthma meds now except if I get a bad UPI.

Coming from a genetic standpoint-- not sure about celiac's and chrones, but there have been some genes located that have to do with sinintis, asthma, and my dd's condition eosinophilic esophagitis (and also eosinophils in the lower gut known as EG and EC, basically white blood cells that cause inflammation, diarrhea, etc). They are all closely related. You can do a search on the genes: eotaxin-1, eotaxin-2, and eotaxin-3. In their non mutated form they protect the body against parasites and viruses and stuff. In the mutated forms there are some repeated gene sequences that make the genes overreactive. The more repeats, the more reactive they are and the worse the person is affected. Instead of just reacting appropriately to the parasites, for example, the reaction is for food proteins and other things, and they go ballistic and make way too much protein, attracts way too many white blood cells, and cause all the gut problems. It's very facinating stuff. They hope to oneday make a protein blocker for eo-3 that will help with my dd's condition. With eo-2 I think Singulair is that blocker. If they do come up with a med that doesn't mean I'll just let her eat anything, KWIM?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut -- March thread