or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › April 2007 › Intentionally getting things started...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intentionally getting things started...

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
What are some ways to help your body along? Does anything really work to make labor happen sooner rather than later? I'm using an OB this pregnancy because of reproductive health issues and I'm dreading the 40 weeks 'when should we think about inducing you' discussion...
post #2 of 27
well there are a lot of things you can try but I personally believe that they will only work if you are about ready to go on your own anyway ...
Theres always sex, walking, nipple stimulation...
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Is a constantly-wanting-to-nurse 3 year old adequate nipple stimulation?

I can't even imagine trying to have sex right now. I feel like a whale. Or like Violet Beauregard in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

Walking can't hurt I guess.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
I feel like a whale. Or like Violet Beauregard in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
I can't even imagine trying to have sex right now. I feel like a whale. Or like Violet Beauregard in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

Maybe some EPO instead of semen?
post #6 of 27
I agree w/ PP-- you can do things, but I don't think it will work unless your body is ready anyway.

Maybe try thinking "open" and imagine your cervix opening. Some people have very strong mental ability (well, we all do-- some just let their body follow their minds more than other people)
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo515 View Post
Maybe some EPO instead of semen?
What is EPO?
Thanks!
Anika
post #8 of 27
EPO is evening primrose oil.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by finn'smama View Post
What is EPO?
Thanks!
Anika
evening primose oil...some start taking it orally, then vaginally, others just do it vaginally.
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenns_3_babies View Post
evening primose oil...some start taking it orally, then vaginally, others just do it vaginally.
Where does one get this? What form does it come in? How do you know what you're really getting anyway?
post #11 of 27
There are also some pressure points on your ankles and feet that are said to help promote bringing labor on. I think you can google it and find out more exact information.
post #12 of 27
I have no idea how much truth this holds, but i heard that eating a lot of pineapple can somehow stimulate labor. Coincidently, i have been craving pineapple like crazy the past few weeks! I seriously eat like 2-3 cans of it a day. I just can't get enough! It hasnt done anything for me yet.

but I also agree that if you're body isnt ready theres not much you can do.
post #13 of 27
just found this ....


Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinderedliving.com
The best thing to do is get emotional issues cleared up, and get everything ready for the birth so you can feel a sense of satisfaction about being ready. Spend some time on deep relaxation and breathing. Listen to soothing music, and let your baby know you are ready. Do some squatting to bring the baby down into the pelvis, and some gentle lovemaking. Semen contains prostiglandins which help soften the cervix, and nipple stimulation often induces contractions. Also, semen taken orally is extremely effective at getting labor going. Suggest to yourself and to the baby that you are ready for him/her to come. Then just sit back and relax, and allow the baby the freedom and autonomy to come when he or she knows it is right. Trust your baby, and your body.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
I have no idea how much truth this holds, but i heard that eating a lot of pineapple can somehow stimulate labor. Coincidently, i have been craving pineapple like crazy the past few weeks! I seriously eat like 2-3 cans of it a day. I just can't get enough! It hasnt done anything for me yet.

but I also agree that if you're body isnt ready theres not much you can do.
I'm not sure how much truth there is to the pineapple thing but it HAS to be fresh, canned won't help you at all something about the enzymes being destroyed in the canning process.

I'm from the March DDC and I've been drinking lots of strong RRL, 1500 mg EPO twice a day and sex. BTW giving oral sex is supposed to be even better because the prostaglandins are better if ingested from what I have read so if you're too uncomfortable for intercourse maybe you could have an oral fest Orgasms for you and ingested prostaglandins

Keri
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi
BTW giving oral sex is supposed to be even better because the prostaglandins are better if ingested from what I have read
Maybe this is a rumor started by dads-to-be.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Maybe this is a rumor started by dads-to-be.
hahaha....
my sister swears this is true, however, and the reason she went into labour!
A
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Where does one get this? What form does it come in? How do you know what you're really getting anyway?
You can get this at any drug store even walmart carries it and it's even organic from there. They are gelcaps and are packaged just like any other suppliment. For some reason the midwife I used to work with advised building up the dose you're taking orally and then adding in the suppositories. I think it is more effective if you build up the dose. Like 1000mg/day for a week, then 1000mg twice a day for a week, then keep taking this dose and start inserting one or two into your cervix at bedtime. (if you can't get them in just shove them up there like a yeast infection treatment)

You shouldn't start them vaginally until 36 weeks because of the risk of preterm labor, but you can start them orally at 34 weeks.

I just started this regimen at 34 weeks and doubled my dose starting yesterday when I was 35 weeks. I have been checking my cervix periodically throughout this pregnancy and my cervix changed midway through last week for the first time. It is now facing down instead of back, soft, and 1cm dilated, and my bh have gotten stronger, more frequent and kind of crampy. This could be a coincidence but I think it's helping.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
I'm not sure how much truth there is to the pineapple thing but it HAS to be fresh, canned won't help you at all something about the enzymes being destroyed in the canning process.

I'm from the March DDC and I've been drinking lots of strong RRL, 1500 mg EPO twice a day and sex. BTW giving oral sex is supposed to be even better because the prostaglandins are better if ingested from what I have read so if you're too uncomfortable for intercourse maybe you could have an oral fest Orgasms for you and ingested prostaglandins

Keri
Oh Keri! I keep checking every day to see if you've had your little one yet. Why does it not surprise me that you know this tidbit?
post #19 of 27
Oh god, I'd rather just keep the lil' bugger in the oven longer instead of DH's swimmers going down my throat. Nothing against him, I just HATE that, um....stuff. Always have..... Like a big slimy salty booger (sp??)
l
man what's up with all the stars I keep seeing in my eyes?
post #20 of 27
I wanted to tell DH about the oral but then I realised that I wouldn't do it b/c it literally makes me puke and I don't need any help with that right now. I think I might get some EPO to save myself grief from DH...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › April 2007 › Intentionally getting things started...