or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Queer Parenting › TTC at home with frozen anonymous sperm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TTC at home with frozen anonymous sperm - Page 2

post #21 of 85
Good luck, FtMPapa! You sound really well prepared! We tried 3 at-home ICI inseminations before moving on to IUI. In our case, we only tested ovulation once per day, and kept watch for mucus. You sound like you are doing a lot more, so you will definitely have a better chance than we did.
The only advice I have is to not beat yourself up if it doesn't work! Just keep reminding yourself that it's a matter of WHEN, not IF!
post #22 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by expectantmami View Post
Hey-here is to sperm logistics-be prepared as it can be a mood killer! At the risk of TMI:

On Saturday before the insem. we were both preocupied with holding the little swimmers close to our bodies-so pre-insemination it didn't work-post insemination, I was afraid that they would fall out, and DP was freaked out because there was someone else's bodily fluids in me-definate mood killers!

We have insem. number 2 tonight-we'll see what happens!

I hope you are able to!

Oh, dear. I hope it went better the second time!
post #23 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamitzer View Post
Good luck, FtMPapa! You sound really well prepared! We tried 3 at-home ICI inseminations before moving on to IUI. In our case, we only tested ovulation once per day, and kept watch for mucus. You sound like you are doing a lot more, so you will definitely have a better chance than we did.
The only advice I have is to not beat yourself up if it doesn't work! Just keep reminding yourself that it's a matter of WHEN, not IF!
Thanks Gamitzer! I am just doing one ICI at home, and if it doesn't work, I'm doing full monitoring, ultrasounds and the whole works with a clinic for an at-clinic IUI next month. I hope I don't need it though!
post #24 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Oh, dear. I hope it went better the second time!
Not really-DP is very grossed out by semen I'm afraid!! If we have to inseminate next month, I think we have to make a plan to DTD-before KD comes over. I may also use the Instead Cup so that we aren't worried about semen falling out if I orgasm after. Hopefully, I'm already knocked up so we don't have to worry about next time. My boobs are sore 3DPO, and when I chewed gum yesterday I felt nauseous and had to spit it out-so here's hoping!!
post #25 of 85
How did the insem go? Don't give up hope! I did frozen ici on 2 cycles and got prego both cycles Unfortunately I m/c'd the first one due to hyperemesis but the 2nd cycle is 10 mo old and playing next to me
post #26 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
How did the insem go? Don't give up hope! I did frozen ici on 2 cycles and got prego both cycles Unfortunately I m/c'd the first one due to hyperemesis but the 2nd cycle is 10 mo old and playing next to me
That's encouraging! I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad that you have a kiddo now!

As for my insem...it hasn't happened yet.

I picked up my tank on Thursday evening, that afternoon my throat had started feeling a little scratchy. By Thursday night, I was sick, and I had a fever all day Friday and into Saturday (good thing I wasn't counting on temps this cycle!!!!!)

My CM completely disappeared, and I went from showing a faint line on my OPKs to nothing. I bought some preseed just in case my CM doesn't come back. My cervix still feels open, so it may yet happen, but as far as I can tell, my body got close to ovulating and then I got sick and we're on hold for now.

::glaring at the calendar::

I may have to send the sperm back or get a new tank to keep it frozen until I get around to ovulating.
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
That's encouraging! I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad that you have a kiddo now!

As for my insem...it hasn't happened yet.

I picked up my tank on Thursday evening, that afternoon my throat had started feeling a little scratchy. By Thursday night, I was sick, and I had a fever all day Friday and into Saturday (good thing I wasn't counting on temps this cycle!!!!!)

My CM completely disappeared, and I went from showing a faint line on my OPKs to nothing. I bought some preseed just in case my CM doesn't come back. My cervix still feels open, so it may yet happen, but as far as I can tell, my body got close to ovulating and then I got sick and we're on hold for now.

::glaring at the calendar::

I may have to send the sperm back or get a new tank to keep it frozen until I get around to ovulating.

Hang in there, you will O at some point but you may have to recharge the tank. The cycles that seem craziest seem to be the ones that work
post #28 of 85
FTMpapa: Ugh, what a time to get sick! : How frustrating. Your body will most likely pick up where it left off before getting sick. That is what happened to me when I have been tracking and gotten sick. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I hope you feel better soon!

Satori: I hope you are right about about the craziest cycles being the ones that seem to work cuz I'm in one of those crazy cycles myself right now!
post #29 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylightdove View Post
FTMpapa: Ugh, what a time to get sick! : How frustrating. Your body will most likely pick up where it left off before getting sick. That is what happened to me when I have been tracking and gotten sick. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I hope you feel better soon!

Satori: I hope you are right about about the craziest cycles being the ones that seem to work cuz I'm in one of those crazy cycles myself right now!
I hope so three! I am sick as a proverbial dog today, but as of a few minutes ago, I see a surge on my OPKs!!!!!!!!!

Also - my CM is back. Yay! Except that I'm still sick. Yuck. :

To hell with my temps, I guess...but insemination is scheduled for tonight! Yay! Now I'm gonna go have a nap.
post #30 of 85
Good luck tonight!!!
Rest and take care of yourself.
post #31 of 85
Good luck with the insem!!!
post #32 of 85
Thread Starter 
Thanks!

The insem went well. Nothing got spilled, which was my biggest worry!

I had a nap, the cats ate my ice cream.

My only comment on the whole thing is that it's really hard being sick and trying not to cough for 20 minutes or so while the sperm does its thing. I was afraid if I coughed it would go flying out!

Also - that stuff stinks, yo. I can't smell anything, because of my cold/ick/plague/whatever I have, except that bleachy smell gets right in.
post #33 of 85
Woot! I'm so excited for you!

I remember the laying down for 20 minutes - boring as hell. I know it stinks, and found the smell and presence over the next day after doing insemination - well, disturbing. I was also surprised how *little* of it there was. LOL

Can you tell me how you did at home with frozen? I used fresh last time. How do you get frozen? How do you store it? How do you defrost?

Good luck, Papa! I'm crossing my fingers for you.
post #34 of 85
Yay, glad it went well, FtMPapa! Let's hope some magic is taking place right now!
post #35 of 85
Good luck, FTMPapa! I'll be doing my first insemination in June, and it's really helpful and inspiring to read about other people's experiences. I hope there's good news soon!
post #36 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Woot! I'm so excited for you!

I remember the laying down for 20 minutes - boring as hell. I know it stinks, and found the smell and presence over the next day after doing insemination - well, disturbing. I was also surprised how *little* of it there was. LOL

Can you tell me how you did at home with frozen? I used fresh last time. How do you get frozen? How do you store it? How do you defrost?

Good luck, Papa! I'm crossing my fingers for you.

I ordered frozen from the sperm bank. The only people I know who've used fresh had a known donor.

And, yes, it stinks even the next day! For 0.8 ml of goo, it sure makes a lot of leftover stink!
post #37 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Thanks!

The insem went well. Nothing got spilled, which was my biggest worry!

I had a nap, the cats ate my ice cream.

My only comment on the whole thing is that it's really hard being sick and trying not to cough for 20 minutes or so while the sperm does its thing. I was afraid if I coughed it would go flying out!

Also - that stuff stinks, yo. I can't smell anything, because of my cold/ick/plague/whatever I have, except that bleachy smell gets right in.
20 min? If this cycle fails you might want to try 3 hours which is what a lot of successful cycles do. Its take a nap and watch a good movie time
post #38 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
20 min? If this cycle fails you might want to try 3 hours which is what a lot of successful cycles do. Its take a nap and watch a good movie time
Really? I heard that most of the sperm that's going to make it as far as the egg gets held in by the body almost instantly, and if you lay down for a few minutes that is more than enough.

3 hours seems excessive to me. It would seem that if that were true, the "can't get pg if you jump up and down afterward" should hold some water, no?

I think surely laying down for an extended period can't hurt, but I don't want to get FTMPapa down here! I got pg with my 3 year old after laying for 20 mins.
post #39 of 85
Whoohoo! Congrats FTMPapa on joining the ranks of the inseminated!

I used to (a looooong time ago) have some exposure to baby batter socially and one thing I really remember is the horrible smell! I make Jake handle the defrosting and inseming but that doesn't stop the fact that I have to deal with the way it makes my body smell afterward.

Oh, my goodness! I had not even thought about the coughing thing. That really is a concern! Funny...but still a real concern when you have that liquid gold inside you.

I hope your first tww is your last!
post #40 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Really? I heard that most of the sperm that's going to make it as far as the egg gets held in by the body almost instantly, and if you lay down for a few minutes that is more than enough.

3 hours seems excessive to me. It would seem that if that were true, the "can't get pg if you jump up and down afterward" should hold some water, no?

I think surely laying down for an extended period can't hurt, but I don't want to get FTMPapa down here! I got pg with my 3 year old after laying for 20 mins.
Yeah, my doc says 20 minutes. She does in-office ICIs all the time. Brill & Toevs, ye ol' lesbian fertility goddesses say 20 minutes.

I had a nice long nap last night afterward, and did more like 3 or 4 hours laying down.

Tonight, I'm doing it as I go to sleep.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Queer Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Queer Parenting › TTC at home with frozen anonymous sperm