Joining my first challenge!
I've been wanting to make some progress on this area! I'm happy to join the challenge!
MY OFFICE PICTURE TOUR
I don't actually have an office. Dh and I each have desks in the living room and our own computers. I have a shelving unit in the bedroom to hold sewing/craft things, plus office things. In the linen cabinet is another shelf that has dh's filing box and some small sentimental things of his.
Desk viewCloset where one shelf holds important papers to dh.My cabinet in the bedroom that holds my office and sewing things
. Organized last weekend.Extra organizers
available for my project.
WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT MY OFFICE AREA
I love my desk despite it having no storage. It's sturdy and strong and a little industrial. I love my mac mini because it's tiny.
WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT MY OFFICE
Currently my filing system. I have those two wicker file boxes which are currently under a pile of things to be filed. I pretty much need to open both of them up and sit on the floor to file anything, so it gets done in batches but not often.
What I like second least is my lack of drawers for things like extra envelopes, pens, stamps, and other little things.
HOT SPOTS (spots in your room that tend to collect clutter)
1. My whole desk. I've tried a few systems like inbox/outbox bins and my current sorter which I was hoping would keep things off the surfaces. I also tend to collect things that belong elsewhere such as water bottles, glasses, toys, the seed packets.
2. Top of my file bins of course, around the floor near my file bins.
MY PLAN OF ACTION -
1. Pick up and take care of non desk things daily (should take just a minute or two a day.
2. Shop for and actually buy a new filing cabinet. I've been looking at craigslist daily and found lots of options, but I want one that fits neatly under or next to my desk without being deeper, so not more than 24 inches deep. I'd like one on wheels. I'd prefer one that locks. If I could find one for next to my desk I'd like to put the printer on it. I'm willing to put a decent chunk of money into the right one.
3. File the taxes. They're done on turbo tax already, but we owe so I'm waiting for the last minute to file and pay.
4. Once that new filing cabinet arrives find and purchase and print out little label thingies so that it all looks perfectly neat on the inside.
5. Sort the files, purging as much as possible so that there is no more than 1 drawer of stuff at the ready and important papers that I don't need to access often are stored elsewhere (possibly dh's spot in the linen closet).
6. Go a little further with important papers. Use my Life.doc
organizer binder Consider using a safe deposit box for birth certificates, etc.
7. Palm pilot- update software and fix problem date errors, or replace it.