or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › April 2007 › Things you should NOT say to a very pregnant person.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you should NOT say to a very pregnant person.

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
So, I'm as laid back about "due" dates as you get and am very protective of the "magic number" that everyone in our culture obsesses about. . . but since some of us are now technically past our due dates I thought I would vent:

*DO NOT* CALL TO ASK ME IF I AM IN LABOR YET!

Seriously, at this point nothing annoys me more. My (single, childless) friend called today and before she even said hello she yelled "Are you in labor yet?!?" It was all I could do to keep from tossing the phone across the room. It's worse than "Are you sure you're only having one?" and "Gosh, you're huge!"

Can you tell I'm hormonal? A little?

Feel free to add your own pet peeves. . .

Jen
"due" with number two but trying not to think about it
post #2 of 28
I have been getting this from SIL for about 2 months. Oh and people who don't get that 9 months really means 10 months by 28 day standards.

I really don't like people asking if I'm happy it's a boy or if I actually wanted a girl!!
post #3 of 28
OMG that is the WORST. When I was pg with DD I went 2 weeks late and everyone was calling me every freaking day - did you have the baby? are you in labor? is that why you arent answering the phone?
Like the only possible reason I might not answer is because I am in labor? Idiots. I was HATEFUL at that point. LOL So I stopped answering the phone altogether and changed the machine to say
"Thanks for calling. I am not in labor, the baby hasnt been born, and when she is, we will let you know. If you need to leave a message for another reason, please do so at the beep"

I already have people asking me via email "any baby yet?" and I am only 37 weeks. I try to be easier on them because I dont talk to them a whole lot so maybe they lose track of time, plus its a lot less irritating than when someone calls for some reason.
post #4 of 28
"Hi, Chubby!" (No, joke, what my uncle said)
"You have that LONG until you are due? I thought you would be closer than that?" (No joke, a lady at church)
post #5 of 28
they all suck!!

at the dentist on tuesday, i was asked if any medical changes since my last visit. i said nothing except i am pregnant....ok i am 37 weeks and very noticable if you ask me! lol well they are like oh your pregnant? i was like um yes. when are you due? the 27th.. THIS MONTH? lol i was what i am just FAT looking omg my stomach is HUGE!! wtf lady lol
post #6 of 28
oh boy i could go on and on about this forever! I get so much of it, I think I will pull my hair out the next time someone says anything to me....

at least 3 or 4 people call me every day to ask if the baby's here yet... every morning i get a text message from my dads girlfriend "did your water break yet?!?" and every time I walk into a room she just stops what shes doing and stares at me, then starts laughing. I say "what?" and roll my eyes, knowing what shes going to say. "you're belly. You're HUGE" seriously. everytime I walk into a room.

and my entire family every time they see me asks me the same questions over and over and over. : "He hasn't come out yet?!" "He's so huge, you'll never be able to get him out if he doesnt come out today!" and of course "you're sure there's only one?!"

Yes people. I am so sick of waiting, but none of you are making it any easier.


I'm so sick of everyone touching me and telling me how fat I am.

I went to meet some family for lunch last week and they were looking for jewelery before hand so I met them in the jewelery store, and they literally had everyone in the damn store touching me and talking about how huge I am.

i really needed to rant about it. sorry.

I have also stopped anwering the phone and I avoid going out in public bc I just can't stand one more person telling me I look like I'm going to pop.

oh and Easter dinner this weekend.... boy oh boy I just can't wait... I will be officially past my due date then, and I'm just not going to hear the end of it. :
post #7 of 28
I accompanied my last client in labor a few weeks ago at her hospital birth.

(I'm sure you can see where this is going).

When I arrived at L&D to get buzzed in, the woman at the desk assumed I was checking in and asked for my insurance card.

The nurse at triage tried to hook me up to a monitor.

The nurses at the nurse station (there were different ones there each time I came to request something - and this was one of the hospitals where they keep all the heated blankets, juice, popsicles, everything behind a locked door, so I had to see a different nurse each time I came out for something):

"Aren't you supposed to be on the monitor?"

"I'll need to see what your chart says" (This was when our nurse asked me to ask for a soda and juice for my client)

"Who is your doctor?"

The really crappy part is that now our insurance has switched to Kaiser, in the case of hospital transfer, this is where we would be. My head nearly exploded, not just with the "what not to say to someone who's pregnant" thing, as I think it was kind of cute that they thought I was there to have my baby, but especially because the way they said these things was in a very paternalistic, condescending, patronizing manner. No one has the right to talk in that way to ANYONE else. Period.
post #8 of 28
I just had something like this happen to me today...

I was taking the elevator down to the subway (yep, i am still taking public transit!) and a guy got on with me and another lady. He looked at me and said "are you sure we won't be too heavy, it only carries a ton". ARE YOU SERIOUS!

People just don't think...
post #9 of 28
Some church lady grabbed my tummy and said, "Well, I don't think you can get much bigger." :
post #10 of 28
When I was pregnant with baby #4, I had one "friend" who called EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And the first words out of her mouth were "How's the belly?" I would say "Still here." And she would say "Okay, bye!" Talk about PISS ME OFF!!!!

I despise when someone calls, I answer, and they say "HI-iiiiii" with that note of expectancy in their voice. I would like someone to call and just say "Hey, I just wanted to see if I can bring you some lunch, tea, a book, company......"
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
I was taking the elevator down to the subway (yep, i am still taking public transit!) and a guy got on with me and another lady. He looked at me and said "are you sure we won't be too heavy, it only carries a ton". ARE YOU SERIOUS!
HOW did you restrain yourself from killing that guy!?!? You are a better person than I am!

-Jen
post #12 of 28
I'm so sick of hearing:
Haven't you had that yet?
Why aren't you going in to be induced (my EDD was Wednesday)?
When I call my DH: "Is this the call?" (like I would tell his coworkers before I told him--duh)
Are you sure it isn't twins?
How much weight are you gaining dear? (from my fat hating mother who weighs 90lbs and has a plus sized daughter--even in Japan I still hear this everytime she calls).
:
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post
HOW did you restrain yourself from killing that guy!?!? You are a better person than I am!

-Jen
I think if we would have been the only two in the elevator I would have either cried hysterically or beat the crap out of him...good think we weren't alone!
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
How much weight are you gaining dear? (from my fat hating mother who weighs 90lbs and has a plus sized daughter--even in Japan I still hear this everytime she calls).
:
This is ridiculous...I am SO sorry she does that...
post #15 of 28
I'm training my relatives by not answering the phone.
I figure by the time we get to my due date (in two weeks), they'll be so used to having to leave a message that they won't leap to conclusions.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkwyrm View Post
I'm training my relatives by not answering the phone.
I figure by the time we get to my due date (in two weeks), they'll be so used to having to leave a message that they won't leap to conclusions.
That's pretty freakin' smart!
post #17 of 28
oh, yes, the comments. I got a comment about how much I was eating and my size at a family get together from my bil, so I said "I'm pregnant, what's your excuse."

I have specifically not told any of the inlaws my due date because I don't want their medical hysteria surrounding me if I happen to go late. My mil especially drives me freaking batty she has asked me no less than 10 times my actual date.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I have specifically not told any of the inlaws my due date because I don't want their medical hysteria surrounding me if I happen to go late. My mil especially drives me freaking batty she has asked me no less than 10 times my actual date.
You have those kind of inlaws too?!? Uhgg...mine went absolutely nutty when I went 13 days over last time. I guess it is because my SIL demanded that her Dr. to induce her at 37 weeks, because she "Knew her baby was too big." He was 6lb. 3oz. They didn't go nuts then! Sorry, totally hyjacked and ranted!!!:
post #19 of 28
Saw this thread and though it's been a while I just had to share...

I was about 5 months pregnant with my first son and off to the first prenatal visit without my dh. Let's just say that I was definitly NOT having a difficult time putting on weight (59#'s total that pregnancy ).

However, when my doctor came into the room and looked at my chart and then looked at me and said "Honey, your husband married you for better or for worse, but I wouldn't tempt fate.", I thought I was going to lose it!! :

I raced out the door crying my eyes out. I called my dh and said "The doctor says I'm fat and that you're gonna divorce me!!"

Overall a horrible experience. I got a midwife for the next one
post #20 of 28
OMG i think i would of kicked him in the BALLS! what a total A$$!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by earthluvinmama View Post
Saw this thread and though it's been a while I just had to share...

I was about 5 months pregnant with my first son and off to the first prenatal visit without my dh. Let's just say that I was definitly NOT having a difficult time putting on weight (59#'s total that pregnancy ).

However, when my doctor came into the room and looked at my chart and then looked at me and said "Honey, your husband married you for better or for worse, but I wouldn't tempt fate.", I thought I was going to lose it!! :

I raced out the door crying my eyes out. I called my dh and said "The doctor says I'm fat and that you're gonna divorce me!!"

Overall a horrible experience. I got a midwife for the next one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › April 2007 › Things you should NOT say to a very pregnant person.