or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Polio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polio

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Did the polio vax erradicate the disease? Whats the deal withthis one? I dont know what to say to my baby boomer relatives when they tell me this.

Jenny
post #2 of 66
The first polio vaccine, the Salk vaccine,(IPV) was a total disaster.

The second one, OPV, the Sabin vaccine, was very effective, but infected hundered of millions of people with a cancer causing virus called SV40.

At the time that polio hysteria was at it's peak, "they" had no idea that several different viruses can cause paralysis, as well as strange immune system disorders, so polio (the actual polio virus) was never the plague it was made out to be.
post #3 of 66
You know, vaccines can and often DO work. Polio was a scourge. Many kids died and many got very very sick. It's true. And it's also true that eradicating polio was a HUGE thing back in the day. The PR that the government put out to rally the people was incredible. The March of Dimes was started and everyone was involved!

Having said that, vaccines can also be very very dangerous. Kids die and get very very sick from vaccines as well. This is the big problem.

If they would make vaccines safer by taking out the seriously toxic ingredients like aluminum and mercury, I MIGHT consider them for myself and possibly my children. But until that day, it's a serious risk one way or the other.
post #4 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowgirl View Post
You know, vaccines can and often DO work. Polio was a scourge. Many kids died and many got very very sick. It's true. And it's also true that eradicating polio was a HUGE thing back in the day. The PR that the government put out to rally the people was incredible. The March of Dimes was started and everyone was involved!

Having said that, vaccines can also be very very dangerous. Kids die and get very very sick from vaccines as well. This is the big problem.

If they would make vaccines safer by taking out the seriously toxic ingredients like aluminum and mercury, I MIGHT consider them for myself and possibly my children. But until that day, it's a serious risk one way or the other.

i agree with you. but dont the vaccines need the alimunum-for the body to produce antibodies,and merc/thermisol-to keep the vaccine from going bad?
i too would continue vaccinating if these were taken out, but i dont see how thats possible? or are there actually other safer alternatives besides aluminum and thermisol that they just arent using?
post #5 of 66
should we talk about what else is in vaccines BESIDES aluminum, mercury and cancer causing monkey viruses?

can ANYONE tell me that injecting these toxins into our children's bodies is a good thing to do?

no, you do not need a PhD in immunology to figure this one out, folks.

bueller? bueller?

:


um, yeah...didn't think so.
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
i agree with you. but dont the vaccines need the alimunum-for the body to produce antibodies,and merc/thermisol-to keep the vaccine from going bad?
i too would continue vaccinating if these were taken out, but i dont see how thats possible? or are there actually other safer alternatives besides aluminum and thermisol that they just arent using?
besides the fact that it's ALUMINUM, the purpose of its presence in vaccines is to cause a weakening of the immune system in order to artificially "make" it have an immune response to something that it wouldn't normally.

don't know about you, but i don't care WHAT it is, why in the world would i willingly and knowingly inject my child with something that's purpose is to weaken my child's immune system.

as for mercury, yes it is a preservative that's cheap and easy so that they can make the most $$, because it's more cost effective for the pHARMa companies to manufacture multi-dose vs. single dose vials.
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
i agree with you. but dont the vaccines need the alimunum-for the body to produce antibodies,and merc/thermisol-to keep the vaccine from going bad?
i too would continue vaccinating if these were taken out, but i dont see how thats possible? or are there actually other safer alternatives besides aluminum and thermisol that they just arent using?
The live vaccines don't contain any of that weird stuff. No preservatives (save a small amount of MSG) and no adjuvants.
Some other others (like Hib) are phsysically conjugated to a bacterial toxin and need no other adjuvant. Flushots don't contain much weird stuff, but they don't really work, either.
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
The live vaccines don't contain any of that weird stuff.

Aluminium and mercury are not the only ingredients contained in vaccines which can cause harm and the removal of these ingredients will not automatically make a vaccine "safe."

In fact, it is well recognized that the MMR vaccine -- which has never contained aluminum or thimerosal and contains three live viruses -- causes meningitis, encephalitis and arthritis. Even the separated M, M and R cause the same damage.
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post

Aluminium and mercury are not the only ingredients contained in vaccines which can cause harm and the removal of these ingredients will not automatically make a vaccine "safe."

In fact, it is well recognized that the MMR vaccine -- which has never contained aluminum or thimerosal and contains three live viruses -- causes meningitis, encephalitis and arthritis. Even the separated M, M and R cause the same damage.
If that is the case then what would natural infection cause in addition to the obvious?

SM
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Mom View Post
If that is the case then what would natural infection cause in addition to the obvious?

SM

What are you implying - the MMR vaccine does not cause encephalitis, meningitis and arthritis? It does and it is well known that it does so I don't think you would go there. Otherwise, what point are you trying make? That you can get encephalitis, meningitis and arthritis as a complication from natural infection too?

Based on the number of VICP compensated claims for encephalitis and arthritis from the MMR, MR, M and R vaccines, I'd rather take my chances with the naturally-acquired illness, particularly since they're often mild or asymptomatic . . . not to mention gaining life-long immunity to the disease.
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
The first polio vaccine, the Salk vaccine,(IPV) was a total disaster.

The second one, OPV, the Sabin vaccine, was very effective, but infected hundered of millions of people with a cancer causing virus called SV40.

At the time that polio hysteria was at it's peak, "they" had no idea that several different viruses can cause paralysis, as well as strange immune system disorders, so polio (the actual polio virus) was never the plague it was made out to be.
Do you have a source for "hundreds of millions of people," being infected with a cancer causing virus from the polio vax? I'm interested. Thanks!
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Do you have a source for "hundreds of millions of people," being infected with a cancer causing virus from the polio vax? I'm interested. Thanks!
According to the CDC, 100 million Americans received one or more doses of the vaccine containing SV40. By the way, I found that information within five seconds.

I would imagine, PP, that Americans weren't the only people who received SV40-containing vaccine during that period.
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
According to the CDC, 100 million Americans received one or more doses of the vaccine containing SV40. By the way, I found that information within five seconds.

I would imagine, PP, that Americans weren't the only people who received SV40-containing vaccine during that period.
Wow! Is this the polio vaccine that they use today?

I also heard that in 1950ish (or 60ish) there was some pesticide that was causing polio like symptoms and all this "polio" has magically disappeared when the vaccine was introduced (but in reality the pesticide was sopped from being used). Is there any truth in this? Does anyone have any links?
thanks,
yulia.
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
The first polio vaccine, the Salk vaccine,(IPV) was a total disaster.

The second one, OPV, the Sabin vaccine, was very effective, but infected hundered of millions of people with a cancer causing virus called SV40.

At the time that polio hysteria was at it's peak, "they" had no idea that several different viruses can cause paralysis, as well as strange immune system disorders, so polio (the actual polio virus) was never the plague it was made out to be.

Actually, MamaKay, it was the IPV version NOT the OPV that had SV40.

From the CDC website:

"Soon after its discovery in 1960, SV40 was identified in polio vaccine. It was found in the injected form of the vaccine (IPV), not the kind given by mouth (OPV)."

It also has not been determined that SV40 causes cancer.
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
Wow! Is this the polio vaccine that they use today?

I also heard that in 1950ish (or 60ish) there was some pesticide that was causing polio like symptoms and all this "polio" has magically disappeared when the vaccine was introduced (but in reality the pesticide was sopped from being used). Is there any truth in this? Does anyone have any links?
thanks,
yulia.
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Current vaccines are NOT contaminated!

"The polio vaccine currently used in the U.S. (inactivated polio vaccine, or IPV) is no longer prepared in primary rhesus monkey kidney cells. It is produced in human or African green monkey cell lines that have been extensively tested for contaminants, including SV40. "


Here is the link to the CDC page if you would like to read about it.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/conce.../default.htm#4
post #16 of 66
post #17 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
Actually, MamaKay, it was the IPV version NOT the OPV that had SV40.
According to the WHO, early lots of OPV were indeed contaminated with the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
It also has not been determined that SV40 causes cancer.
SV40 was shown to induce tumors in rodents. Even though the evidence is inadequate to accept or reject a casual relationship, the WHO states:

There is strong evidence to suggest that SV40 is a transforming virus and moderate evidence to suggest that exposure to SV40 could lead to human cancer under natural conditions.

FTR, it is well established that SV40 has been found in human cancer tissue.
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
Actually, MamaKay, it was the IPV version NOT the OPV that had SV40.

From the CDC website:

"Soon after its discovery in 1960, SV40 was identified in polio vaccine. It was found in the injected form of the vaccine (IPV), not the kind given by mouth (OPV)."

It also has not been determined that SV40 causes cancer.
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cg...ct/65/22/10273

Quote:
Cancer Res. 2005 Nov 15;65 (22):10273-10279 16288015
Some Oral Poliovirus Vaccines Were Contaminated with Infectious SV40 after 1961.

Some polio vaccines prepared from 1954 to 1961 were contaminated with infectious SV40. It has been assumed that all polio vaccines were SV40 free in the United States after 1961 and in other countries after 1962. Following a WHO requirement that was prompted by the detection of SV40 in some human tumors, we conducted a multilaboratory study to test for SV40 polio vaccines prepared after 1961. Vaccine samples from 13 countries and the WHO seed were initially tested by PCR. The possible presence of intact and/or infectious SV40 DNA in PCR-positive samples was tested by transfection and infection of permissive CV-1 cells. All results were verified by immunohistochemistry, cloning, and sequencing. All the vaccines were SV40 free, except for vaccines from a major eastern European manufacturer that contained infectious SV40. We determined that the procedure used by this manufacturer to inactivate SV40 in oral poliovirus vaccine seed stocks based on heat inactivation in the presence of MgCl(2) did not completely inactivate SV40. These SV40-contaminated vaccines were produced from early 1960s to about 1978 and were used throughout the world. Our findings underscore the potential risks of using primary monkey cells for preparing poliovirus vaccines, because of the possible contamination with SV40 or other monkey viruses, and emphasize the importance of using well-characterized cell substrates that are free from adventitious agents. Moreover, our results indicate possible geographic differences in SV40 exposure and offer a possible explanation for the different percentage of SV40-positive tumors detected in some laboratories
And SV40 doesn't cause cancer like HPV doesn't cause cancer. Correlation isn't causation, after all!
post #19 of 66
http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v2.../1206547a.html


Quote:
Simian virus 40 (SV40) is a potent DNA tumor virus that is known to induce primary brain cancers and lymphomas in laboratory animals. SV40 oncogenesis is mediated by the viral large tumor antigen (T-ag), which inactivates the tumor-suppressor proteins p53 and pRb family members. During the last decade, independent studies using different molecular biology techniques have shown the presence of SV40 DNA, T-ag, or other viral markers in primary human brain cancers, and a systematic assessment of the data indicates that the virus is significantly associated with this group of human tumors. In addition, recent large independent studies showed that SV40 T-ag DNA is significantly associated with human non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Although the prevalence of SV40 infections in humans is not known, numerous observations suggest that SV40 is a pathogen in the human population today. This review examines the molecular biology, pathology, and clinical data implicating SV40 in the pathogenesis of primary human brain cancers and NHL and discusses future research directions needed to define a possible etiologic role for SV40 in these malignancies.
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13573250

Quote:
Background Non-Hodgkin lymphoma has increased in frequency over the past 30 years, and is a common cancer in HIV-1-infected patients. Although no definite risk factors have emerged, a viral cause has been postulated. Polyomaviruses are known to infect human beings and to induce tumours in laboratory animals. We aimed to identify which one of the three polyomaviruses able to infect human beings (simian virus 40 [SV40], JC virus, and BK virus) was associated with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Methods We analysed systemic non-Hodgkin lymphoma from 76 HIV-1-infected and 78 HIV-1-uninfected patients, and non-malignant lymphoid samples from 79 HIV-1-positive and 107 HIV-1-negative patients without tumours; 54 colon and breast carcinoma samples served as cancer controls. We used PCR followed by Southern blot hybridisation and DNA sequence analysis to detect DNAs of polyomaviruses and herpesviruses. Findings Polyomavirus T antigen sequences, all of which were SV40-specific, were detected in 64 (42%) of 154 non-Hodgkin lymphomas, none of 186 non-malignant lymphoid samples, and none of 54 control cancers. This difference was similar for HIV-1-infected patients and HIV-1-uninfected patients alike. Few tumours were positive for both SV40 and Epstein-Barr virus. Human herpesvirus type 8 was not detected. SV40 sequences were found most frequently in diffuse large B-cell and follicular-type lymphomas. Interpretation SV40 is significantly associated with some types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. These results add lymphomas to the types of human cancers associated with SV40.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00001/art00347


Quote:
Malignant mesothelioma, a tumor of the pleura, pericardium, and peritoneum, is presently a worldwide problem. Current therapy is ineffective in slowing the course of the disease, and median survival from the time of diagnosis is rarely greater than 1 year. While the tumor was almost unknown prior to the second half of the twentieth century, it is presently responsible for more than 2000 deaths per year in the US alone. Mesothelioma is frequently associated with exposure to asbestos, but the incidence of cases involving individuals with low levels of asbestos exposure is increasing. For this reason, there has been much interest in studying whether there are alternative factors that act alone or in conjunction with asbestos in producing this malignancy. In the last decade, simian virus 40 (SV40) has become the most notable suspected agent
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I also heard that in 1950ish (or 60ish) there was some pesticide that was causing polio like symptoms and all this "polio" has magically disappeared when the vaccine was introduced (but in reality the pesticide was sopped from being used).

The pesticide was DDT.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Polio