or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › baby sunscreen rec.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

baby sunscreen rec.

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Can anybody recommend a good natural sunscreen for babies/young children that isn't chock full of all sorts of toxic yuckiness? I went to the EWG site and saw that tehy rate California Baby the best, but their list is so small, I'm not sure how other brands (e.g. Burts Bees, Aveeno, etc.) stack up. Also, I recall some media attention last year to some super great ingredient that was just being introduced into US sunscreens that blocked some of the UV rays more effectively, but that's all I remember as far as details (some help, I know). We'll be bringing the girls on a couple vacations (lots of sun) soon and I want to be well prepared.
post #2 of 39
I'm interested too in what people like. I cannot recommend Earth's Best Sunscreen by Jason. It is absolutely terrible, too thick and left white streaks. I bought it for my youngest and it took so long to rub, she didn't want to put it on.
post #3 of 39
Why not just use diaper rash cream with zinc oxide? You know it's safe for baby skin! Zinc oxide works as a sunscreen by reflecting sunlight off the skin- I use it on my whole family.
post #4 of 39
I realy like UV Natural. It comes in Baby formula, regular sport... It's pricey, but we really like it. No scent, goes on really smooth. It's not creamy, but very moisturizing.
post #5 of 39
We really like the Aubrey Organics Green tea sunscreen. Check out the link.
post #6 of 39
Personally, I'm on the fence.

Read: http://www.terressentials.com/faq.html#sunscreen

Last summer, I mostly did not go in the sun during peak hours or covered up and put my DS in clothes / swim suits that covered him up. Only a few times on a friend's boat did I put sunscreen on him.

It makes sense to me that these chemicals may in fact be the cause of the increase in skin cancer that we are seeing....not just the ozone-loss factor.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
We really like the Aubrey Organics Green tea sunscreen. Check out the link.
This sunscreen says it has PABA ester as an active ingredient. Why do so many sunscreens say they're "PABA free"? Should I be concerned about PABA?

-Angie
post #8 of 39
There is a coop going on over in the coop forum for an all natural one that looks safe.
post #9 of 39
Do you know what the name of it is so I can look into it? I am really worried now after reading that article in the PP. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momazon4 View Post
There is a coop going on over in the coop forum for an all natural one that looks safe.
post #10 of 39

Badger Balm?

We used Aveeno Baby last summer because it had the ingredients that provide a physical barrier against the sun (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide). We didn't burn, but got a rash instead -- both my son and I. So, it has something irritating in it. This summer we're going to try California Baby Fragrance Free 30 SPF and Aubreys.
I also think I'd like to try Badger Balm sunscreen. The ingredients seem so simple: Active Ingredient: Micronized Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange.
Has anyone tried it?
post #11 of 39
Off to check those ideas out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geje View Post
We used Aveeno Baby last summer because it had the ingredients that provide a physical barrier against the sun (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide). We didn't burn, but got a rash instead -- both my son and I. So, it has something irritating in it. This summer we're going to try California Baby Fragrance Free 30 SPF and Aubreys.
I also think I'd like to try Badger Balm sunscreen. The ingredients seem so simple: Active Ingredient: Micronized Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange.
Has anyone tried it?
post #12 of 39
Don't know if this counts as "natural", but I just got some Vanicream SPF 60 for my baby. Ingredient list is pretty short, and there are no parabens etc. Used it sunday and it worked great. She has very sensitive skin (and eczema) which is why I special ordered the sunscreen. (We use the vanicream moisturizer on her eczema.) It was pricey- but I think worth it.
post #13 of 39
Thanks for all of your help and advice. I think I am going to try Toms of Maine silly strawberry toothpaste and California baby sunscreen. I hope we end up liking them!

Thanks again!
post #14 of 39
We use Arbonne Baby sunscreen. Nobody in the family reacts to it! Which is a minor miracle.
post #15 of 39
We use a lot of California Baby products (diaper area spray, hair detangler, soap/shampoos and sunscreen) and love them all. The sunscreen we buy is the fragrance free one. It's pricey but I feel good about it.
post #16 of 39
post #17 of 39
Another vote for the California Baby products. We use several of them and they're all great. The sunscreen works well, smells good, and is one of the least chemical-ly out there.
post #18 of 39
Thanks for all the advice!
post #19 of 39
My dd has super sensitive skin so the only thing I trust is Caliornia Baby
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecarma View Post
Personally, I'm on the fence.

Read: http://www.terressentials.com/faq.html#sunscreen

Last summer, I mostly did not go in the sun during peak hours or covered up and put my DS in clothes / swim suits that covered him up. Only a few times on a friend's boat did I put sunscreen on him.

It makes sense to me that these chemicals may in fact be the cause of the increase in skin cancer that we are seeing....not just the ozone-loss factor.
I agree. This is what I think is advised on www.mercola.com. I just use shade and light clothing to protect from the sun. I'm not sure about unnatural things like sunscreen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Natural Body Care
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › baby sunscreen rec.